For all of you RW weight watchers...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Anthony!":15nfqmdg said:
The point was and is if we have a good oline then he doe snot need his speed as much. He may have used it in the past and especially here, but a good oline makes that need significantly less.

Ahh, so we're discussing hypotheticals then, and not reality.

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":1aoq7h1a said:
RiverDog":1aoq7h1a said:
This whole thing about Russell "grinding his butt off" seems pretty silly to me. As far as I'm concerned, it's an expectation of all professional athletes to be working their butts off honing their craft during the majority of the offseason. It's not news when you report on someone that's doing what they are supposed to be doing.

I was raised during a time when professional football players had to take second jobs in the offseason just to make ends meet, and my dad was raised during a time when HOF athletes not only didn't have the opportunity to work out in the offseason, but had their careers cut short by multiple years do to mandatory military service. So excuse me if I'm less than impressed with Russell Wilson, and all the other overpaid, spoiled, and pampered contemporary professional athletes when I read about them "grinding their butts off." BFD.

Old

We can't bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to tell 'em stories that don't go anywhere - like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. “Give me five bees for a quarter,” you'd say.

Now where were we? Oh yeah: the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

Seymour

Reaction score
Archer":36t6zn62 said:
UK_Seahawk":36t6zn62 said:
RiverDog":36t6zn62 said:
This whole thing about Russell "grinding his butt off" seems pretty silly to me. As far as I'm concerned, it's an expectation of all professional athletes to be working their butts off honing their craft during the majority of the offseason. It's not news when you report on someone that's doing what they are supposed to be doing.

I was raised during a time when professional football players had to take second jobs in the offseason just to make ends meet, and my dad was raised during a time when HOF athletes not only didn't have the opportunity to work out in the offseason, but had their careers cut short by multiple years do to mandatory military service. So excuse me if I'm less than impressed with Russell Wilson, and all the other overpaid, spoiled, and pampered contemporary professional athletes when I read about them "grinding their butts off." BFD.

Old

We can't bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to tell 'em stories that don't go anywhere - like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. “Give me five bees for a quarter,” you'd say.

Now where were we? Oh yeah: the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

So those big yellow onions were the Simpsons then?

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Archer":1ov9mo24 said:
UK_Seahawk":1ov9mo24 said:
RiverDog":1ov9mo24 said:

Old

... and you can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":34x63m9z said:
Anthony!":34x63m9z said:
The point was and is if we have a good oline then he doe snot need his speed as much. He may have used it in the past and especially here, but a good oline makes that need significantly less.

ahh so you are saying it is not an expectation to have a good line? OR for that matter even okay line. Not hypothetical but what we should be pushing towards and expecting from the FO.

edogg23

Reaction score
I think it was pretty obvious that during the preseason and beginning of the season, Russell Wilson looked thicker than prior years and was slower. It would be nice to see him as quick as he was in his rookie year to make the read option threat real.

Seymour

Reaction score
Anthony!":1sxptvq0 said:
Sgt. Largent":1sxptvq0 said:
Anthony!":1sxptvq0 said:

ahh so you are saying it is not an expectation to have a good line? OR for that matter even okay line. Not hypothetical but what we should be pushing towards and expecting from the FO.

Why should we expect it??
Cable's offensive lines have ranked 31st, 27th, 30th, 31st, 24th, 20th, 32nd, 24th, and 32nd in Football Outsiders' Adjusted Sack Rate. By regular sack%, Tom Cable quarterbacks have ranked 31st, 22nd, 32nd, 29th, 27th, 29th, 35th, 27th, and 34th (among qualified quarterbacks) through the 2015 season.

titan3131

Reaction score
Denying fat Russell last year and current shape is the same level as being a flat earth truther.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Assuming fans know more than Russell about what shape to be in is like telling Einstein how to do math.

Seymour

Reaction score
lobohawk":1tf2uj9f said:
Assuming fans know more than Russell about what shape to be in is like telling Einstein how to do math.

Nothing wrong with that. Einstein has no clue on how to use a calculator! :mrgreen:

semiahmoo

Reaction score
penihawk":3okp1xdm said:
This is an entertaining yet pointless discussion. Let me take a stab at a Q & A session on whats been thrown out so far.

Q: Was RW slower last year due to packing on more weight/muscle mass? A: Without a doubt

Q: Does our O-line suck and have to improve? A: Yes but they have sucked since RW has been here and that is easier said than done in the salary cap era and college football prospects not being NFL readied anymore due to the spread.

Q: Was it the O-lines fault that Wilson got hurt? Maybe but I would argue his lack of speed led to him being caught from behind in an awkward position. A: Was Romo getting awkwardly hit and hurt scrambling the fault of Dallas' all world line? Remember how great said Dallas line looked 2 years ago with a hurt qb and decimated backfield?

Q: What does Roethlisberger have in common with RW? A: Nothing! He is 6' 5" 240 and defenders drip off the guy. He also can see over the line at all times standing in a crowded pocket. For those that are still in denial that RW's height is an issue when there are not clean throwing lanes, I got nothing for ya. It's an issue and always will be.

Q: Is Dak better than RW? A: Well, he was last year but..... Lets see what hapens this year and beyond to make that determination. The league has a year of tape to work off now and I remember RGIII and Cam's fall in a seasons time. He does have the luxury of above avg players throughout the offense to help him succeed tho.

Q: Do we need to worry about RW'S commitment to working hard and being great? A: He has become a bit more GQ & an attention whore the last few years since the Ciara upgrade. However I still think he knows what he needs to do to be better this year and football is his first love.

Q: Will our offense be better this year? A: YES but only if all the parts stay healthy. Everybody forgets the biggest missing piece of the run-game last year was RW. As great as Lynch was, it was defenses having to have a defender account for RW that made our running so effective.

RW will be ready and in shape this year. He does however have to play better than the previous year or two. Good play,health and a bit of luck along the way are what makes champions. Only time will tell. :D

AWESOME post. Agree 100% RW is a short guy. He needs that speed. Last season he showed up bigger and slower and he was a lesser QB because of it. Without speed, he is a mediocre at best QB. You're right on about his troubles seeing over the line or how silly it is to compare his speed to someone like Roethlisberger who is the size of a tall linebacker. Being able to see over the line is a huge advantage RW will never have. It's a big part of what makes Tom Brady so great - perhaps the greatest QB of all time. He's tall, lanky-strong, and has a mind that can process multiple options in half-seconds. RW isn't in that league yet. Given his lack of size, he may never be. He's a great athlete who plays quarterback. No shame in that. I love the guy's tenacity, but I also understand he has serious deficiencies in that position as well and last season his lack of speed more fully exposed them to opposing teams.

penihawk

Reaction score
Thanks. I totally agree with your post. To elaborate even further on Brady. He is one of the greatest anticipatory passers of all time. I think this is one of the skills RW is still lacking. I would even venture to say it makes his line look bad at times while Brady's expertise at trusting it and getting it out quick & on time makes his o-line appear better than they really are.

Largent80

Reaction score
penihawk":ah4in1q3 said:
Thanks. I totally agree with your post. To elaborate even further on Brady. He is one of the greatest anticipatory passers of all time. I think this is one of the skills RW is still lacking. I would even venture to say it makes his line look bad at times while Brady's expertise at trusting it and getting it out quick & on time makes his o-line appear better than they really are.

Yes to that, and I will add that RW over and underthrew a LOT of potential ball catchers last year. He was simply off last year regardless of being bigger/injured etc.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":fnsx29re said:
Anthony!":fnsx29re said:

It's NOT a "Hypothetical" >>>A top 5 Quarterback gets hurt because his very GREEN and inexperienced O-Line screws the pooch early in their DEVELOPMENTAL season, are one of the League's WORST....THAT is your "Reality"

Largent80

Reaction score
scutterhawk":11x6b2p3 said:
Sgt. Largent":11x6b2p3 said:
Anthony!":11x6b2p3 said:

It's NOT a "Hypothetical" >>>A top 5 Quarterback gets hurt because his very GREEN and inexperienced O-Line screws the pooch early in their DEVELOPMENTAL season, are one of the League's WORST....THAT is your "Reality"

It actually IS a reality. When you have 3 "rookies" playing o-line and one lineman starting a new position, it isn't screwing the pooch. It's called trial by fire. throwing newbies into a position they have never seen is a big deal no matter how much YOU want to minimize it.

It IS reality. The good part, is they gained valuable experience from it, and will improve.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
penihawk":221ui02i said:

You are right once again. Last year's Hawks had a bad O-Line to be sure, but they were made far worse by RW's lack of passing confidence/skill/intelligence, etc.

You take RW and Tom Brady and give them both last year's Hawks O-Line and Brady will outperform RW big time.

RW's first years in the league had the benefit of a HOF running back at the peak of his powers which in turn allowed RW to develop and be the run out threat that was in addition to Lynch's smashmouth intensity. Add to that we had the best defense in the league, and we were a powerful team even with a still-developing QB.

Once Lynch's skills declined, and then he left, and the defense fell a notch or two in being able to dominate, RW's weaknesses were more greatly exposed.

I'll go a step further here. If RW doesn't have a strong bounce-back season, his time as a top tier QB could be over. He's not going to get any faster, or any taller, and doesn't appear to have the mental capacity to elevate his game much further.

I hope that's not the case, but another season like last season (or worse) is going to really set him back.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
edogg23":3su09jth said:
I think it was pretty obvious that during the preseason and beginning of the season, Russell Wilson looked thicker than prior years and was slower. It would be nice to see him as quick as he was in his rookie year to make the read option threat real.
He didn't have a Marshawn Lynch and MUCH BETTER Zone Blocking O-line last year as he did in his earlier seasons with the Seahawks.
Our Run-to-Pass percentage was in the toilet last year and EVERYWHERE on the Offensive Line (except Center), pass protection broke down much quicker BOTH RIGHT & LEFT, leaving RW in a pincer attack and, he had zero chance of running his way out of.
THE FIRST injury caused by the inept play of the O-Line, begat the Second & Third injuries.
Why do teams even employ an Offensive line?.........To Push For Your Run Game AND To Protect Your Quarterback.

Largent80

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1nmrzva6 said:
edogg23":1nmrzva6 said:
He didn't have a Marshawn Lynch and MUCH BETTER Zone Blocking O-line last year as he did in his earlier seasons with the Seahawks.
Our Run-to-Pass percentage was in the toilet last year and EVERYWHERE on the Offensive Line (except Center), pass protection broke down much quicker BOTH RIGHT & LEFT, leaving RW in a pincer attack and, he had zero chance of running his way out of.
THE FIRST injury caused by the inept play of the O-Line, begat the Second & Third injuries.
Why do teams even employ an Offensive line?.........To Push For Your Run Game AND To Protect Your Quarterback.

I simply do NOT understand how some people can not understand that the Seahawks had 3 and maybe 4 rookies starting on the O-Line.

Do you need a sledgehammer applied to your head?

Latest posts