For all you poo pooing the draft picks....

ZornLargentPatera

Reaction score
I thought the general consensus was that the Philadelphia Eagles had the best night at the Draft for the First Round? 🤔

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
If there is any fan base in the league that should know the value of a dominant secondary, it should be us. The LOB was integral in winning our first title. Yeah, the trenches need attention, but we are on our way to having the best secondary on the NFL again. Just like we did when we were rolling through teams.

We had a pass rush at that time too and teams werent gashing us with the run. Right now, that is not the case.

Fade

Reaction score
Well then you could argue that their preferred strategy is to build their line the same way now- Not via the draft, but FA.

Money is on them bringing Woods and Ford back. They inked Mone and Adams, brought Reed back, signed Jones. Harris was solid when available and may also return.

You can legitimately ho-hum the potential Woods and Ford returns since they were part of the worst unit on the team last year. But you also can't discount chemistry and what the addition of new pieces can do to revamp a unit.

Woods (could return)
Harris (could return)
Jones
Ford (could return)
Mone
Adams
Reed

On any other team but ours last year, that unit is anything but a liability.

It's obvious that they are banking on maybe less a monumental iimprovementvia draft on the front end in exchange for an elite , varied and versatile back end. No doubt great line play aids a d line and great D Line play, aids DBs. So it looks like they're looking for that to occur and likely are still optimistic that they can plug some holes up front with high upside, lesser known, or yet to 'pop' talent in the draft.

I say all that but I think I'd have been good with them going all Dline, Oline and LB for their higher picks and looking for another ADB or T Woolen in the later rounds.

But I can only speculate as to what the real problems were last year. Scheme fit? Comms between levels? Experienced leadership on the field to keep guys lined up and on assignment up front? Too many cooks in the kitchen, staff-wise?

Probably all of that. But Pete's comment post 9ers loss in the wildcard round about our roster just not having the talent that the 9ers do on D... gotta think they're looking to dip heavy on D in RD2 and later. Also wouldn't be surprised if they were to trade a TE (Fant for cap reasons) for an established big man on the d line or a top tier LB.
That is not a good enough D-Line to win a Championship. And they've spent their cap. (Can always create more cap room of course.) There is a lot of work that still needs to be done upfront. And they need to upgrade the DC.

I am just happy they are drafting good players again, instead of flushing pick after pick on "need."

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Ah, the draft. I never give a shit about it. Sometimes players are good. Sometimes they're bad. Sometimes something happens to them. You just never know, and I'm tired of investing myself emotionally into players i don't know will even see any playing time.

bileever

Reaction score
Huh? they usually go in the 1st. 300+ lb. men that are nimble and athletic enough to be elite players on the LoS are hard to come by. Not many human beings walking the earth that fit that profile.

WRs & CBs on the other hand routinely pop in the 2nd, 3rd, and beyond.

Let's hope the Seahawks draft board is correct and they made the right decision last night, and they can still get very good Lineman tonight, and leave it at that.
I agree for the most part, but predicting success among defensive linemen is tough. The defensive line bust rate among first round draft picks is 35.3%, just behind QBs at 40.4%. I think a lot of that is due to the mismatch in college football where there aren't always quality interior offensive linemen, so it's hard to judge what you're seeing on tape. When you're a 300-lbs monster, you probably don't face real competition until you get to the NFL.

A lot of star interior defenders were high picks like Aaron Donald in the first round or Chris Jones in the second round, but there are also solid players like Javon Hargrave, DJ Reader and Matt Ioannides, who were all 5th round picks.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Got the best rated corner, receiver, and center in the draft.
Those 3 picks alone make it an A+ Draft.
The other guys they got are pretty good too.
They followed their board like last year so hence when everyone pegged them for 4-5 wins they make the playoffs because they decided to draft BPA on THEIR board not someone else that's important factor guys.

You have to love we pick JSN and start the WR run. It should clue you in to their methodology.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
They followed their board like last year so hence when everyone pegged them for 4-5 wins they make the playoffs because they decided to draft BPA on THEIR board not someone else that's important factor guys.

You have to love we pick JSN and start the WR run. It should clue you in to their methodology.
The did draft BPA in both drafts, but that's not why they made the playoffs. They made the playoffs because their coach, Pete Carroll, is very very good at getting the best out of his players.

I know you are another one of those Pete Carroll haters, but to assume they made the playoffs because they wrote the right names on a card is silly, short-sighted, and retarded.