For those thinking we ever changed anything for Wilson think again.

John63

Reaction score
Never changed philosophy

Really don’t think there’s even a need to guess why Russ was done with Seattle (he had multiple reasons, to be clear). You can read this from Pete Carroll today and figure why the guy who trademarked “Let Russ Cook” was like “nah, I’m good on that.” theathletic.com/3190963/2022/0…
View image on Twitter

Those saying they change for Wilson are wrong....

Not saying right or wrong with philosophy. Just that PC said That's never changed, which means there was not giving Wilson anything.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
What coach has literally ever announced that they've abandoned the idea of complementary football?

Find me a single coach that says you don't need all phases of the game performing well to succeed.

Find me a single coach that disagrees with Carroll's quote about what is needed from a quarterback.

"We're gonna win by playing (lists all phases of the game) and we've never changed that."

No way! Really? My god. What a newsflash. Thanks.

toffee

Reaction score
And Russ did cook, lol, he even trade mark "let Russ Cook". The fact that he cooked was beyond debate.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Pete added read-option specifically to take advantage of Russell’s physical ability. He talked about becoming the best team at the scramble drlll specifically to take advantage of what Russ could do. He dumped two different OCs because of Russ, and gave Russ a say in hiring Waldron.

Stop saying Pete never made any changes for Russ.

OP
OP
John63

John63

Reaction score
Pete added read-option specifically to take advantage of Russell’s physical ability. He talked about becoming the best team at the scramble drlll specifically to take advantage of what Russ could do. He dumped two different OCs because of Russ, and gave Russ a say in hiring Waldron.

Well that's bot what Pete said. It's plain as day. So you are calling PC liar. PC never made changes for Russ he made changes to protect his defense and help his run game. Not the same at all.

toffee

Reaction score

To debate with John63, you need to know that he works purely on face value. His lacks the ability or motivation to conduct analysis, deep dissection, logical deduction/assumption etc. You mustn't get frustrated, just understand how his minds works, then it's fun.

Threedee

Reaction score
What coach has literally ever announced that they've abandoned the idea of complementary football?

Find me a single coach that says you don't need all phases of the game performing well to succeed.

Find me a single coach that disagrees with Carroll's quote about what is needed from a quarterback.

"We're gonna win by playing (lists all phases of the game) and we've never changed that."

No way! Really? My god. What a newsflash. Thanks.
Well, I would hope that most coaches place a greater emphasis on the first two quarters of the game.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
To debate with John63, you need to know that he works purely on face value. His lacks the ability or motivation to conduct analysis, deep dissection, logical deduction/assumption etc. You mustn't get frustrated, just understand how his minds works, then it's fun.
He absolutely doesn't work on face value. He deliberately lies about the quotes he himself posts, like he is right now.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Well that's bot what Pete said. It's plain as day. So you are calling PC liar. PC never made changes for Russ he made changes to protect his defense and help his run game. Not the same at all.
You clearly didn't read the quote that you posted, because this summary is outrageously off-the-mark.

Saying that they've never changed in terms of wanting to win by being good in all phases of the game, including their quarterback spreading the ball to open targets, is not saying they've never adjusted scheme-specific tendencies and philosophies.

I can't think of a way that anyone could logically extrapolate the conclusion that you have from the quote you posted. It's outside of the realm of rational discourse.

OP
OP
John63

John63

Reaction score
Well, I would hope that most coaches place a greater emphasis on the first two quarters of the game.
Most do, just not ours. Remember can't win in the first, the 2nd or the third.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
In the playoffs, teams that run the football well but don't have an exceptional passing game - accomplish nothing.

There is little incremental benefit in running the football exceptionally well now, if your passing game is average. You have no chance if you have no strong passing game.

Go look at the top rushing offenses in the league, and you will find a group of teams that nobody cares about unless they have strong passing games (Bills). The Eagles, Colts, 49ers, and depending on how you define success - The Seahawks.

The only thing more worthless than being a top 5 rushing team but not a top 10 passing team? Is being top rush defense team.
Nobody cares.

Stopping the run and running the ball gets you regular season wins unless you are a great passing team too, or great at stopping the pass(maybe not even then, you pretty much have to pass the ball)

Carroll believes the run game matters. On defense and offense. That is the problem. It does if you are terrible at it, otherwise anything better than average is just a waste. Unless your dream is to be the Titans or Browns, then I guess...yay?

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Other people may disagree but I distinctly remember Wilson being allowed to "cook" and it worked well (remember MVP Russ?) until defenses adjusted and he started throwing picks like confetti. He was then reined in and that was pretty much that.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Other people may disagree but I distinctly remember Wilson being allowed to "cook" and it worked well (remember MVP Russ?) until defenses adjusted and he started throwing picks like confetti. He was then reined in and that was pretty much that.
Started i believe vs the Vikings that year and the cooking went to shit after that...

hoxrox

Reaction score
Key part to me about that PC quote: "moves the football around to guys that are open"

This was a major hole in Russ' game - especially on third down... It is what it is. Time to move on.

hoxrox

Reaction score
In the playoffs, teams that run the football well but don't have an exceptional passing game - accomplish nothing.

There is little incremental benefit in running the football exceptionally well now, if your passing game is average. You have no chance if you have no strong passing game.

Go look at the top rushing offenses in the league, and you will find a group of teams that nobody cares about unless they have strong passing games (Bills). The Eagles, Colts, 49ers, and depending on how you define success - The Seahawks.

The only thing more worthless than being a top 5 rushing team but not a top 10 passing team? Is being top rush defense team.
Nobody cares.

Stopping the run and running the ball gets you regular season wins unless you are a great passing team too, or great at stopping the pass(maybe not even then, you pretty much have to pass the ball)

Carroll believes the run game matters. On defense and offense. That is the problem. It does if you are terrible at it, otherwise anything better than average is just a waste. Unless your dream is to be the Titans or Browns, then I guess...yay?

You still need balance. We threw the ball 40+ times in that Rams playoff loss. Carson ran the ball 15 times when the Rams weakness was run D? That was a recipe for disaster. It's too bad Russ wasn't good enough to win throwing 40+ times...

rcaido

Reaction score
Russ was 6-2 when they let Russ cook. Blame it on the defense.

Cardinals game should have been over if the defense didnt commit so many dumb penalties. Not to mention having a 10 point lead with only 6 minutes left. With a 3 point lead, decided to play it safe and the run the ball w Hyde having to punt it back w 50 sec and of course the defense could not hold. Defense gave this game away.

Bills game they gave up 44 points.

They should have allowed Wilson to continue to cook. Probably would have gotten the same record but Wilson probably would have gotten the MVP or at least be happier.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Russ was 6-2 when they let Russ cook. Blame it on the defense.

Cardinals game should have been over if the defense didnt commit so many dumb penalties. Not to mention having a 10 point lead with only 6 minutes left. With a 3 point lead, decided to play it safe and the run the ball w Hyde having to punt it back w 50 sec and of course the defense could not hold. Defense gave this game away.

Bills game they gave up 44 points.

They should have allowed Wilson to continue to cook. Probably would have gotten the same record but Wilson probably would have gotten the MVP or at least be happier.
They did allow Russ to continue to cook in that playoff loss... 40+ times throwing is cooking... He burnt the meal.

rcaido

Reaction score
They did allow Russ to continue to cook in that playoff loss... 40+ times throwing is cooking... He burnt the meal.
Wilson played poorly, probably one of his worse games, but he threw the ball 27times. Everyone played poorly, offensively, defensively, and coaching. It was a complete team failure.

Metcalf tantrum
Turnovers
oline swiss cheese
penalties
couldn't stop the run

xray

Reaction score
well, as Wilson has said " lets ride " and he rode .