Fox NFL Russell Wilson Feature (video)

Zowert

Reaction score
Not sure if this video has been posted on here before, but I couldn't find it. So I figured I would put it up, in case some of you haven't seen it. I remember seeing this on TV not too long ago. It was back when RW had 19 passing TD's on 7 wins. This was when he was just starting to really get noticed by the media, and somewhat officially in the race for Rookie of the Year with Luck and RG3...

[youtube]_N862bwsF2o[/youtube]

NOTE: At 2:46 in the video, look at the salaries. Russell Wilson's contract is just below $3 million, while Luck is getting $22 million and RG3 $21 million. Its a far cry from the 50+ million dollars that the #1 QB in a draft class was getting before the rookie salary cap. However, $21+ million is still damn good money and it trumps what the Seahawks are paying Russell Wilson. The best part, the Hawks are getting a $20 million quarterback for $3 million. How long is he signed for anyway? Four years?

I wonder what's going to happen if/when Russ comes out next season and plays even better than he is now. Will the Seahawks renegotiate his contract and pay him the money he arguably deserves? I would hope so, because if he plays just as good or better than Luck/RG3 the next season and the Seahawks don't offer him a contract adjustment (or at least a good bonus). It appear to RW that the Seahawks front office do not appreciate his effort and level of commitment to the team [and the organization overall]. That could mean that Russ may think about packing his bags and heading out of town after his rookie contract is up. If he continues to play and improve, there will be a lot of NFL teams knocking on his door during his contract year.

What do you think? Will the Seahawks offer him a more lucrative salary if he continues to play this well half way through his contract? Would you if you were a representative in the Seahawks FO in charge of contract negotiations?

You have two choices: Either take advantage of Wilson's low salary and simply use his talent over the four years he is under contract. Which means you would have more room to work under the salary cap, being able to bring in good players and build the team over his (low salary) contract years. But you would be risking RW's feelings towards the Seahawks organization [a feeling of being under-appreciated], and possibly even his overall trust in the team's management. This could realistically lead to Russell Wilson packing up and signing with a different team when his four years in Seattle are up. The only way to keep him in Seattle then would be to put a franchise tag on him. Which would really put a hit on the salary cap, given the amount a QB's franchise tag costs you..

Another Note:
I am not assuming or trying to say Russell Wilson is concerned about money, that he's greedy, playing for a big pay day, etc. I truly believe the guy plays not only to win, but for the love of the game. From my impression of him, Russ seems to have the same passion for the game, and the same 'drive to win' as Tim Tebow. However, the NFL is a business and I think RW is a smart dude that realizes this. His professional career, which will take a tremendous toll on his body, won't last forever. If he is lucky, he will have an injury-free healthy career and be able to play a little over a decade in the NFL. With that being said, it's important he makes as much money as he possibly can to secure the future for himself and his wife (who will eventually start a family). So you can't fault the guy for looking out for his future by pursuing a more lucrative and long-term contract after another another season.

Your thoughts on how the Seahawks F.O. should handle Russell Wilson's contract situation. Especially if he continues to perform and improve his game, thriving into a top QB in the league..??

chawx

Reaction score
If there is one guy on this team that I wouldn't nickel-and-dime, it's Russell Wilson.

He makes everyone around him better!! You gotta pay the guy 'franchise tag' money, but without the tag. He's worth it, especially if he can lead us to one, or two...or THREE.. or FOUR! wins this post-season. And even if he doesn't do that, and he falls short, the dude is a rookie! He's only going to get better and better. I want to lock Russell up until he hangs up the cleats, he's a once in a lifetime QB and an awesome story! He is the epitome of what sells in this league and is a guy that everyone can cheer for (except 49er, Cardinal, and Ram fans)

If Paul Allen fails to open up the check book for this kid, I'll be sorely disappointed in this organization. He deserves it, and depending on how he does in these playoffs...he shouldn't have to worry about money for the rest of his life.

drdiags

Reaction score
Wilson is tied to his rookie contract based on the new CBA. He nor the team can re-negotiate until the final year, if that. I forget the details. Supposedly there was going to be a way to reward those players who out-performed their rookie contracts, but it may not have made it into the final CBA. I don't believe the team has an option to do anything nor Wilson.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
drdiags":j6z2bsij said:
Wilson is tied to his rookie contract based on the new CBA. He nor the team can re-negotiate until the final year, if that. I forget the details. Supposedly there was going to be a way to reward those players who out-performed their rookie contracts, but it may not have made it into the final CBA. I don't believe the team has an option to do anything nor Wilson.

Actually, All rookie contracts can be renegotiated after the completion of year 3 of that contract under the new CBA. Which means that Sherman has to complete 2013 before their can be talks. Chancellor, Thomas and Okung are all completing their 3rd years, though they were under the old CBA and Thomas and Okung are locked up for 5 years IIRC.

So we've got some time before we'll have to offer bigger contracts.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Don't think either side can talk about a new contract until after his 3rd year

Hawknballs

Reaction score
The money's not going to be an issue, like everyone's said there's nothing that can be done about it now.

Russell Wilson is the kind of person who wants to build upon his experience and learn from mistakes, find ways to improve ...do you think he's going to make renegotiating a contract harder than it needs to be? I just don't see the guy making things difficult and wanting to start all over someplace else.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
jlwaters1":10kpljae said:
drdiags":10kpljae said:

Actually, All rookie contracts can be renegotiated after the completion of year 3 of that contract under the new CBA. Which means that Sherman has to complete 2013 before their can be talks. Chancellor, Thomas and Okung are all completing their 3rd years, though they were under the old CBA and Thomas and Okung are locked up for 5 years IIRC.

I believe it is all FIRST round players can renegotiate contracts after year 3. I believe Wilson must wait until year 4 as a 3rd rounder.

OP
OP
Zowert

Zowert

Reaction score
jlwaters1":3cb1itno said:

Thank you for this information.

I knew there was some kind of clause in the CBA for rookie contracts. I didn't think it was binding them to their contracts for the entire duration, but I figured there was some kind of limit on when they can negotiate for more money. Like a certain amount of time before their contract can be re-figured.

Aren't pretty much all rookie deals 4-years long? Then there is a set pay scale that starts from the 1st overall pick to the last. So Russell Wilson has no choice but to wait until his third season. But I believe, usually the team the rookie is contracted under will give them an extension, that starts right when their rookie contract expires. So they don't just scrap the remainder of the rookie deal and give them a huge contract. Instead they offer them an immediate bonus, to make the player happy until their new and more lucrative contract kicks in. This was what the Titans did for Chris Johnson.

I highly doubt Russell Wilson will turn out to be a Chris Johnson, that receives a huge pay day then goes through the motions. Russ is just not that type of player, or man in general. He has integrity. So I would be fine with the Seahawks paying DangeRuss.. However, I'm not saying he deserves a pay day after one good, standout season. I am suggesting Wilson deserves it if/when he performs like this come the time he is eligible for a contract extension, revision or bonus. Or however they're allowed to and want to work it out.

Knowing this now, what would you do if RW gets to his third season and he's two or even three times the player he is now? If that is the case, I don't know how anyone could NOT say, "Pay the man!" I'm also eager to see how Russ plays his cards come contract negotiation time. Not only that, but how he plays/performs the game after his big pay day. I just don't see him changing his effort, outlook or approach to the game. Even after becoming the highest paid player on the roster with a guaranteed amount of money in the tens of millions.

OP
OP
Zowert

Zowert

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":2xswt725 said:
I believe it is all FIRST round players can renegotiate contracts after year 3. I believe Wilson must wait until year 4 as a 3rd rounder.[/quote]

Oh man would that suck for mid to late round draft picks who are playing like 1st round talent for three straight seasons. There must be some way these teams can give over performing players a bonus. As a way to show them how much they appreciate the player's effort, attitude and overall performance over his rookie and sophomore season.

For Russell Wilson to perform as good or better Andrew Luck and RG3 for three seasons, and only make a fraction of what they're getting a season. Just doesn't seem right to me. That fourth and final year of his contract would be rough. Knowing you have to play AT LEAST as good as you have the first three seasons, all the while avoiding injury and getting paid no more than a million dollars that season...

I would expect a huge pay day after I played my ass off and took my team to the playoffs during the final year of my rookie contract. Especially if you take your team to the conference finals or Superbowl.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Wilson is the kind of guy that would take less money to help the team sign it's best players. I think there are a lot of players on this team with that attitude because of the way the team is run and because this team gave them a chance when no one else would. Add to that the success, and we should be in good shape.

Pete is also the kind of guy that would not want his best players to leave, but who would support them if they chose to do so. However, if he thought a move would be detrimental to a player, I am positive that he would let them know, and tell them why.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Paul Allen is not Ken Behring! So the days of using the checkbook as a booster seat are over. Allen knows that he will have to spend money to build this franchise. Now the question is can we get Matt Flynn to take a pay cut to be part of a Superbowl contending squad?