Frank Gore & Andre Johnson to Sign With Colts

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Is this thread title mis-leading? I haven't seen anything saying AJ is going to sign with the Colts. Only thing I've seen is that he is visiting with them. Mis-leading or am I wrong here?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":2tlesm8o said:
Crap.....I had a good feeling we would sign him, but it's like that feeling when you like a girl really bad but she doesn't like you. She sees you only as a friend, her friend just set them up on a double date, and your outside the restaurant watching them eat....

Bit awkward...

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":usunigbw said:
Is this thread title mis-leading? I haven't seen anything saying AJ is going to sign with the Colts. Only thing I've seen is that he is visiting with them. Mis-leading or am I wrong here?

Nothing for sure, but the rumor is that Gore and Johnson have already decided to sign there, according to a source close to them.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Marvin49":qr0qmw9j said:
Playmaker21":qr0qmw9j said:
Apparently after being released yesterday, Andre Johnson got a call from Frank Gore, close friends and former teammates at "The U" (Miami Hurricanes). They started talking about how cool it would be to play together in the NFL. Next thing you know they are on an airplane to Indianapolis to sign with the Colts

Saw that they were flying to Indy today. Makes a lot of sense. I thought Frank would be a Colt from the start.

Their offensive coordinator at Miami was Rob Chudzinski. Hate to lose Frank but I think that's a good spot for him.

I'd agree and the sports radio is reporting he's signing with the Colts. Johnson, however, is rampant speculation as they haven't even had time to talk numbers yet. He's flying out there and that's all that's been reported.

mikeak

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1c2gywl3 said:
Popeyejones":1c2gywl3 said:
Oh, no sorry, we disagree. I don't think Indy is getting impatient or spending big money that will have long term consequences. They're signing mid-money older guys to short term contracts that don't have long term ramifications, and to do things that these guys ALREADY do well (and not more).

Gore's deal is reported as a three year deal with almost 8M guaranteed. That's not mid-money IMO for a 31 year old, that's got some risk.

As far as Denver goes, sure they got some production out of their big signings, but now they have ZERO money to address the positions of need this year, and in 2016.

See, that's the thing when you spend a bunch of cash in FA, it might be a good thing for THAT year, but it seriously hamstrings your franchise for 2-3 years down the road when you need to replace lost players.

$8 million guaranteed is less than Seattle is paying Lynch for ONE year - ie next year

With a $40 million cap a 3 year deal like that doesn't really put them in a bad place. Also don't know where the guaranteed money is - maybe $6 million is year one they they have a $2 million cap hit if they cut him next year. How is that bad?

Upside on the other hand from what they are doing.....

Denver went to one superbowl and had a great year last year. I would rather do that then end up like the Saints.......

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
mikeak":34jjnugd said:
This will make Indy one of the top teams in the NFL next year for sure. I really like what they did (from an unbiased perspective) this FA.

They need to improve their O-line but they will be dangerous this year
Better them then New England or Denver. Fact is they needed to do something big to get to their level or forever be irrelevant. Gore and Wilfork are shells of themselves but Andre Johnson is the one guy I had hoped we could get in on. Oh well time to move on I guess and just accept the fact that we aren't going to make any big moves in FA for the offense.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1dr6t3vk said:
Gore's deal is reported as a three year deal with almost 8M guaranteed. That's not mid-money IMO for a 31 year old, that's got some risk.

In real life it's a two year, 7.5 million dollar total deal. That doesn't get you in trouble. The only way to get a perennial thousand yard back and be committed under 4 million a year and for only two years IS TO SIGN an older guy.

You get a short term fix to a major problem (Trent Richardson's awfulness), and you're only asking Gore to do what he already does well, and not even to do as much as he did before (he's now splitting time with Bradshaw rather than being the bellcow). Same story with Andre Johnson, who does what they need, and doesn't have to be a #1 anymore because they have Hilton.

As far as Denver goes, sure they got some production out of their big signings, but now they have ZERO money to address the positions of need this year, and in 2016.

Yeah, which doesn't change the fact that it worked out for them. If they hadn't done it last year they'd have to do it this year. But they did it last year, and it worked out for them. They now have less needs than they did last off-season, because they successfully used free agency (in albeit a much riskier way than the Colts are doing so far).

See, that's the thing when you spend a bunch of cash in FA, it might be a good thing for THAT year, but it seriously hamstrings your franchise for 2-3 years down the road when you need to replace lost players.

For sure, but that's not the case for Indy because they're signing older vets who will be off the books in two years anyway, and it's not the case for Denver either because all of their moves have been made already knowing that they're going for broke in this window with Peyton playing.

The Colts are giving themselves TIME to draft well and develop players to slot in at low salaries a couple years down the line, whereas the Broncos are maximizing their chances in the limited window they have, knowing that they'll be rebuilding soon anyway regardless of if they maximize their current chances or not.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2rbh00z5 said:
Hawk-Lock":2rbh00z5 said:

Nothing for sure, but the rumor is that Gore and Johnson have already decided to sign there, according to a source close to them.

Show me a link saying he is EXPECTED to sign with Colts. I understand reports that say " _____has agreed to sign with _____." I'm guessing that is not the case for AJ and the Colts. All I've seen is that he is "visiting the Colts." But has there been actual reports saying he is expected to sign with Indy?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":26wzyjjm said:
HawkFan72":26wzyjjm said:
Hawk-Lock":26wzyjjm said:

Show me a link saying he is EXPECTED to sign with Colts. I understand reports that say " _____has agreed to sign with _____." I'm guessing that is not the case for AJ and the Colts. All I've seen is that he is "visiting the Colts." But has there been actual reports saying he is expected to sign with Indy?

Linked earlier in this thread:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/LanceZierlein/status/575314645713428480[/tweet]

Schefter confirmed that this story is true.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
HawkFan72":vddda1i1 said:
Hawk-Lock":vddda1i1 said:
HawkFan72":vddda1i1 said:
Hawk-Lock":vddda1i1 said:

Linked earlier in this thread:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/LanceZierlein/status/575314645713428480[/tweet]

Schefter confirmed that this story is true.

Thanks.

hawksurething

Reaction score
I hope Wilson doesn't get hurt waiting on these WRs to get open.

I knew hawks would miss out on their chance to get the only #1WR left that can make their franchise QB develop even more.

While GB,pats or colts would get AJ just to make their QB more Elite for sure. Sure luck is more elite than Wilson... Look what weapons he is throwing to. If I'm Wilson without having a legit #1 WR that draws double coverage...then I'm taking every dollar I can get ! Because a slump is coming with other QB's offenses getting much better.

Ask yourself ...What in the world does Luck need another WR for when he already Has a #1 WR & 1st round TE other than to look like a better QB ???

titan3131

Reaction score
im praying the next headline reads:

"Russell Willson + LOB fly to indy and intercept Andre and get him to sign with the hawks"

Uncle Si

Reaction score
hawksurething":rdfuvyc6 said:
Ask yourself ...What in the world does Luck need another WR for when he already Has a #1 WR & 1st round TE other than to look like a better QB ???

He wants to win more games?

hawksurething

Reaction score
titan3131":moha9gfz said:
im praying the next headline reads:

"Russell Willson + LOB fly to indy and intercept Andre and get him to sign with the hawks"

Lol good one. They need to pull some ninja stuff like that.

Otherwise the only way to keep up with other teams advances this year is to make the O-line top 3 in pass protect top 15 in run block & get a red zone/block TE like Gresham or fells or cammron.maybe green ?

There is no surefire #1 WR that will demand double coverage year 1 in the draft where we are picking.
So we are stuck with either McBride unless we trade up to get Strong. & get a #2 WR in FA to try to play the #1 Spot.

Beckham is a head case.

hawksurething

Reaction score
Uncle Si":25bluy1t said:
hawksurething":25bluy1t said:

Exactly ! That is how amazing AJ is. Watch him get 1200 yards & 12 TDs like DEz with Murray.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
hawksurething":1kc42zjl said:
Uncle Si":1kc42zjl said:
hawksurething":1kc42zjl said:

Exactly ! That is how amazing AJ is. Watch him get 1200 yards & 12 TDs like DEz with Murray.
Not if they actually succeed in doing what they have wanting to do for the last 2 years which is being a power run team with a far more balanced offense.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
hawksurething":3ia8355p said:
Uncle Si":3ia8355p said:
hawksurething":3ia8355p said:

AJ is not "amazing". His best days are past him. He may get to 1200 yards, and maybe even 12 TDs, but that would be more about the offense he is in and the players that are around him. Still, they are bringing Gore in for a reason. AJ is a supplemental piece for balance.

AJ in Seattle is not touching those numbers, for a variety of reasons.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
titan3131":1w9ygasg said:

If recent history is a good judge, the scenario would be that the LOB intercepts Andre, and then Russell runs out and promptly hands him right back to Indy...

and then of course Russell scampers over to Pete Carroll and asks him what happened.

(sidebar: this is By FAR the most trollish thing I've ever written on this board. Please know the joke was intended in good fun and jest).

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Man the Colts are my AFC team but I wanted AJ on the Hawks.Despite not seeing eye to eye with HawkSthing I do see the value of having a WR like AJ.I don't miss a Golden Tate but there are guys we can use and I hope we get someone before next season .To be honest I'd love to have Reggie Wayne if we cannnot get better.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
No surprise, but it's looking like it's going down.

@Schultz_Report: Hearing that Andre Johnson is likely to sign w/Indianapolis Colts. Info from the same person who said Frank Gore was headed to Indy.

Latest posts