Frustrating offseason

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Ya said the draft is still in the open now. Remember the trading up and down with players benefiting from that trade capital. We will end up backfilling what we lack without a hitch in our stride. Worry, nah. Fear is the friend of all the other teams that have to meet up with us this year....just like last year. :p

Escamillo

Reaction score
Blitzer88":3ap1g38n said:
Still love my Hawks think they can still extend Earl and Sherm but, Is anyone else as frustrated about this offseason as I am right now. I mean I knew we were gonna lose some of our guys, but I did not think we would lose, what, 12 of our free agents. Plus this is one offseason where guys seem to come visit and leave without a contract. That usually hasn't been the case with this front office. Also, we have yet to really fill any of those spots that were vacated by departing players and yes I know the draft is upcoming, but you can't fill every need in the draft. And yes I know I'll be bashed for being negative, but I was just expecting a lot more from this offseason. I am just starting to get worried. Okay, rant over for now.

You say you want to extend Earl and Sherm, but you also expect high-priced free agents from too? There's something called "salary cap" that prevents doing both of those things.

OP
OP
Blitzer88

Blitzer88

Reaction score
You guys, I'm not talking about spending big money on big name free agents. I'm just talking about signing some guys to help fill the depth that we lost on the offensive line, the wide receiver core and the defensive backfield during FA. I knew we weren't gonna really sign any big name guys because we didn't need it.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Blitzer88":2u34pzdw said:
You guys, I'm not talking about spending big money on big name free agents. I'm just talking about signing some guys to help fill the depth that we lost on the offensive line, the wide receiver core and the defensive backfield during FA. I knew we weren't gonna really sign any big name guys because we didn't need it.

you answered your own question (without properly identifying exactly what "needs" outside depth need to be filled)

thats what the draft is for....

OffseasonChampions

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":24z10o7n said:
This is why it is very very rare for a SB team to repeat.
8 repeats in the 48 years of the Super Bowl. So that's 16 Super Bowl Wins that were part of a repeat. 1/3 is not very very rare.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Blitzer88":hit27rss said:

There is still plenty of time left in free agency. Usually early on in free agency is when you see the big names and big money signing. As free agency moves on, and after the draft, you'll see teams signing more depth type of free agents.

As a team you gotta believe that you are better off filling depth through the draft if possible, then whatever is left, fill through the remaining free agents. With the rookie cap it really makes the most sense.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Blitzer88":35jutyh4 said:
Still love my Hawks think they can still extend Earl and Sherm but, Is anyone else as frustrated about this offseason as I am right now. I mean I knew we were gonna lose some of our guys, but I did not think we would lose, what, 12 of our free agents. Plus this is one offseason where guys seem to come visit and leave without a contract. That usually hasn't been the case with this front office. Also, we have yet to really fill any of those spots that were vacated by departing players and yes I know the draft is upcoming, but you can't fill every need in the draft. And yes I know I'll be bashed for being negative, but I was just expecting a lot more from this offseason. I am just starting to get worried. Okay, rant over for now.
Gordon Ramsay 001

nice-trolling-attempt-not-thumb.jpg

Throwdown

Reaction score
Blitzer88":1xxa12we said:

Who on this team was a veteran FA that was signed for depth?

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Blitzer88":33oe8y9m said:

So we brought in Schilling and Van Roten on the O-line.

We brought in that Price dude at WR.

So what it comes down to is that you're frustrated that we haven't signed depth behind Jeremy Lane? You're not ready to roll with Shead filling Maragos' spot and seeing what we have in Simon?

You want the depth players - not big names - signed in the first three weeks of FA? :|

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
"8 repeats in the 48 years of the Super Bowl. So that's 16 Super Bowl Wins that were part of a repeat. 1/3 is not very very rare"

You will notice that prior to 2000 it was actually reasonably common (one group in most four or five game samples). But we now have a nearly 15 year stretch where it has only happened once.

I would say that it is much more unlikely post-2000 than pre. Why is another question but there is clearly something makes it less likely.

TriCHawk

Reaction score
Not only is there a draft coming, but there will also be another free-agency period after TC -- a great way to pick up quality depth. Bummed that we lost Tate, but not freaking out over it. I was on the fence about Allen, and honestly I'm relieved that the FO didn't shell out for him.

Not worried at all, and I think all is going according to plan.

OP
OP
Blitzer88

Blitzer88

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":32skbrmc said:
Blitzer88":32skbrmc said:
Gordon Ramsay 001

nice-trolling-attempt-not-thumb.jpg

Yup , you caught me. This is all just to troll everyone. Congrats, smh.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Not frustrated at all. This is standard operating procedure for a defending Superbowl champion with no glaring holes, young and needing to lock up 3-4 core players over the next couple of years.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Blitzer there has been some under the radar signings that are probably just camp fodder but it's not like the FO hasn't done a thing. You got Taylor Price, Chris Matthews, Stephen Schilling, Greg Van Roten...there's some depth for ya. And for the defensive backfield, there's Shead, Simon, Auguste

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
Not worried.

The main guys are gonna get extended .... But we need to worry about keeping talent like Maxwell, Smith, Wright and ADB this offseason among others.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I understand the OP's concerns...and I have a few of my own (Harvin / WR/ OL) but I am far from frustrated. Now, had we NOT won 48, I would be frustrated right now. But getting our title has changed my outlook immensely. Of course I want to repeat, but I want a repeat about 25% as bad as I wanted our 1st. House money now, IMO.

So how much weaker is our D without Clem, Red, Thurmond? Not much, but let's call it - 3 pts.

I suggest we bolster the OL, grab another wide out and IF Harvin can play the entire season, those 3 things should get us no less than an additional 7, maybe even 10 pts per contest. A healthy, happy, protected RW with talent to throw to, would make our pt differential even more impressive than last year and that gives us a very good chance of repeating while extending Earl at the same time. More than 1 way to skin a cat. ..and all that.

OP
OP
Blitzer88

Blitzer88

Reaction score
-The Glove-":77hovrea said:
Blitzer there has been some under the radar signings that are probably just camp fodder but it's not like the FO hasn't done a thing. You got Taylor Price, Chris Matthews, Stephen Schilling, Greg Van Roten...there's some depth for ya. And for the defensive backfield, there's Shead, Simon, Auguste

That is true, but man...those guys sure do provide a lot of question marks in terms of what they could really provide us. Although we did said the same thing about 90% of guys on this roster at some point in time and look what we did this last year.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Blitzer88":32bzfdw6 said:
-The Glove-":32bzfdw6 said:

That is true, but man...those guys sure do provide a lot of question marks in terms of what they could really provide us. Although we did said the same thing about 90% of guys on this roster at some point in time and look what we did this last year.

But that's what you get out of depth... Unproven guys with question marks. We're not asking them to step in and start. So what it sounds like is you really want some big name guys signed.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Blitzer88":3egf45dm said:
-The Glove-":3egf45dm said:

Man, you are SO close to a breakthrough right now.

Just make that final leap of logic.