Garoppolo tore his ACL, out for season.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Maulbert":3irp4fa2 said:
Marvin49":3irp4fa2 said:
Maulbert":3irp4fa2 said:
rlkats":3irp4fa2 said:
He took hits that would have killed Jimmy G.

That thought has to concern Niner fans.

Actually, not really.

Beathard ALWAYS takes those hit. He's a tough SOB, but very often he is his own worst enemy. He holds the ball far too long, takes risks running the ball that he shouldn't, and doesn't have Jimmys release.

Last year, Beathard was getting hammered week after week. All of the sudden, Jimmy comes in and is one of the most seldom sacked QBs in the league.

The team didn't magically get better.

Beathard is a big reason he is getting sacked and taking hits.

All I meant is the comment that those hits would have killed Garoppolo has to leave you with concerns about his durability. Avoiding sacks is all well and good, but even if Garoppolo ends up a franchise QB, you're looking at the next Tony Romo (in terms of fragility, I mean). One thing I love about Wilson is how much he resembles a Bozo Bop Bag when he does take hits.

Dunno if he's fragile or not. He was never hurt in High School and College and now he's been hurt twice. I think the lesson he needs to learn is sometimes live to play another down. There was no need for him to cut upfield when he tore his ACL.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Marvin49":1p7ia5ey said:
Coug_Hawk08":1p7ia5ey said:
5_Golden_Rings":1p7ia5ey said:
toffee":1p7ia5ey said:
Looks like 9ers fans will never find out if GQ was really good or a bust,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You act like he is retiring. Last I checked it was a five year contract and with a rookie rt playing guard for the first time in hos life at the number one wr out for the first two games, he still had a 90+ rating on the year, with three dropped tds. Looked better than average this year and he’s only started 10 games. Pretty sure he’ll be back and he’ll improve.

Above average is too strong, but definitely average/low end starter; which is a bit better than what the 9ers have had in recent years. No reason he can’t improve (assuming he makes it through a season), you see some nice things from time to time.

Huh?

OK, couple things....

1) Pick six in week one was wrong route run by WR. Also under CONSTANT pressure that game as they lost both RGs and their rookie RT had to move in to RG (a position he hadn't played since High School) AND put their backup RT in at RT.

2) There wer no less that 5 or 6 drops in Minn, two of which were in the endzone and that says nothing of what would have been a HUGE gain to Kittle has Kittle not given up on it.

3) They lost Goodwin in the 1st quarter as well.

4) In the two weeks SINCE the Minn game Jimmy G had 4TDs, 0INTs, and a QB rating of 101.5.
Marvin sounds like Hugh Millen and Softy Mahler making excuses after one of UW’s Jake Browning’s poor performances.
Never thrown a bad pass, interceptions are always the receivers, line’s, RB’s, or playcaller’s fault, but never EVER the “golden boy’s” fault.

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
Marvin49":2ce5if3h said:
Maulbert":2ce5if3h said:
Marvin49":2ce5if3h said:
Maulbert":2ce5if3h said:

Actually, not really.

Beathard ALWAYS takes those hit. He's a tough SOB, but very often he is his own worst enemy. He holds the ball far too long, takes risks running the ball that he shouldn't, and doesn't have Jimmys release.

Last year, Beathard was getting hammered week after week. All of the sudden, Jimmy comes in and is one of the most seldom sacked QBs in the league.

All I meant is the comment that those hits would have killed Garoppolo has to leave you with concerns about his durability. Avoiding sacks is all well and good, but even if Garoppolo ends up a franchise QB, you're looking at the next Tony Romo (in terms of fragility, I mean). One thing I love about Wilson is how much he resembles a Bozo Bop Bag when he does take hits.

Dunno if he's fragile or not. He was never hurt in High School and College and now he's been hurt twice. I think the lesson he needs to learn is sometimes live to play another down. There was no need for him to cut upfield when he tore his ACL.

Again, the comment I responded to stated Garappolo would have been killed by the hits Beathard took. I was only observing based on the fact that one of your fellow Niner fans here clearly has a low estimate of Jimmy G's durability, and if 49er fans feel that way, it has to be concerning. I made no judgements about his potential fragility.

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1xug1ubr said:
Marvin49":1xug1ubr said:
Coug_Hawk08":1xug1ubr said:
5_Golden_Rings":1xug1ubr said:
You act like he is retiring. Last I checked it was a five year contract and with a rookie rt playing guard for the first time in hos life at the number one wr out for the first two games, he still had a 90+ rating on the year, with three dropped tds. Looked better than average this year and he’s only started 10 games. Pretty sure he’ll be back and he’ll improve.

Above average is too strong, but definitely average/low end starter; which is a bit better than what the 9ers have had in recent years. No reason he can’t improve (assuming he makes it through a season), you see some nice things from time to time.

Huh?

OK, couple things....

1) Pick six in week one was wrong route run by WR. Also under CONSTANT pressure that game as they lost both RGs and their rookie RT had to move in to RG (a position he hadn't played since High School) AND put their backup RT in at RT.

2) There wer no less that 5 or 6 drops in Minn, two of which were in the endzone and that says nothing of what would have been a HUGE gain to Kittle has Kittle not given up on it.

4) In the two weeks SINCE the Minn game Jimmy G had 4TDs, 0INTs, and a QB rating of 101.5.
Marvin sounds like Hugh Millen and Softy Mahler making excuses after UW’s one of Jake Browning’s poor performances.
Never thrown a bad pass, interceptions are always the receivers, line’s, RB’s, or playcaller’s fault, but never the “golden boy’s” fault.

I haven't listened to KJR for years, but sounds like nothing has changed.

P.S. Softy sucks.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Maulbert":1k3m5mda said:
Sports Hernia":1k3m5mda said:
Marvin49":1k3m5mda said:
Coug_Hawk08":1k3m5mda said:

Huh?

OK, couple things....

Marvin sounds like Hugh Millen and Softy Mahler making excuses after UW’s one of Jake Browning’s poor performances.
Never thrown a bad pass, interceptions are always the receivers, line’s, RB’s, or playcaller’s fault, but never the “golden boy’s” fault.

I haven't listened to KJR for years, but sounds like nothing has changed.

P.S. Softy sucks.
Nothing has. And Softy still sucks. He’s like a coked up highschool kid with a microphone.

rlkats

Reaction score
Maulbert":37c5ta1l said:
Marvin49":37c5ta1l said:
Maulbert":37c5ta1l said:
Marvin49":37c5ta1l said:
Actually, not really.

Again, the comment I responded to stated Garappolo would have been killed by the hits Beathard took. I was only observing based on the fact that one of your fellow Niner fans here clearly has a low estimate of Jimmy G's durability, and if 49er fans feel that way, it has to be concerning. I made no judgements about his potential fragility.

I was simply making an observation. Not trying to stir the pot. I just think CJ is a tough SOB

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
rlkats":2enlzxji said:
Maulbert":2enlzxji said:
Marvin49":2enlzxji said:
Maulbert":2enlzxji said:

I was simply making an observation. Not trying to stir the pot. I just think CJ is a tough SOB

I was simply making an observation, as well. It's Marvin spinning his wheels that was doing the stirring.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":3570hzw2 said:
adeltaY":3570hzw2 said:
That's some masterful bargaining there. Nine games is nine games. It's a divisional rival.

If Andy Reid was our OC during that time we'd have three SB wins. Anyone can play that game. You telling me the Hawks offense wasn't predictable and shitty all those years?
I really disagree with this. The scheme Seattle ran was perfect for their personnel. It spread things out so that Lynch could destroy linebackers, and it played to Wilson's strengths moving around and stretching the field horizontally and vertically. Wilson was NOT the QB then that he is now. Back then he needed that gimmicky offense. He is now a complete QB. He was not then.

I doubt you'll get full agreement from the bolded statement above. Many feel he is too limited in many aspects, and hasn't matured as a pocket-QB should.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Maulbert":2d3qyebk said:
rlkats":2d3qyebk said:
Maulbert":2d3qyebk said:
Marvin49":2d3qyebk said:

I was simply making an observation, as well. It's Marvin spinning his wheels that was doing the stirring.

You said he is the next Tony Romo in terms of fragility, but are also saying you're not making any claims about his fragility. :lol:

I'd guess you're not deliberately stirring the pot, but the wheel spinning on this seems to come from those contradictory statements.

(If you think JG is fragile or not doesn't really matter and I dont care either way, but it is honestly confusing me).

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3hnkdr1a said:
Maulbert":3hnkdr1a said:
rlkats":3hnkdr1a said:
Maulbert":3hnkdr1a said:

You said he is the next Tony Romo in terms of fragility, but are also saying you're not making any claims about his fragility. :lol:

I'd guess you're not deliberately stirring the pot, but the wheel spinning on this seems to come from those contradictory statements.

(If you think JG is fragile or not doesn't really matter and I dont care either way, but it is honestly confusing me).

My original comment was that it had to be concerning if 49er fans felt that way. I only elaborated from there. And Marvin is always spinning his wheels on something involving the Niners. It's what he does.

chris98251

Reaction score
He could be a Cassell, went to the Chiefs showed initial promise git hurt and poof gone.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Maulbert":2vx6i01f said:
Popeyejones":2vx6i01f said:
Maulbert":2vx6i01f said:
rlkats":2vx6i01f said:

My original comment was that it had to be concerning if 49er fans felt that way. I only elaborated from there. And Marvin is always spinning his wheels on something involving the Niners. It's what he does.

LOL.

I was responding to Jimmy being referred to as "Above average is too strong, but definitely average/low end starter; which is a bit better than what the 9ers have had in recent years" and "Looks like 9ers fans will never find out if GQ was really good or a bust".

That's just ridiculous. People who say that are doing nothing but looking at a stat sheet and looking for the result they want. Jimmy has had 10 NFL starts and ONE of them was bad. ONE.

In week one he threw 1 TD and 3 INTs. Lets forget all reasons for that statline and just go with it. No excuses.

Since that Game he had 4 TDs, 0 INTs, and over a 101 QB rating without his #1 WR or #1 RB.

How is that below average and why are peeps writing off his career? Dude will be back for traiing camp. The one good thing about the injury is that it happened so early he should be back in time for next year.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Marvin49":1t9xkwmp said:
Maulbert":1t9xkwmp said:
Popeyejones":1t9xkwmp said:
Maulbert":1t9xkwmp said:

LOL.

I was responding to Jimmy being referred to as "Above average is too strong, but definitely average/low end starter; which is a bit better than what the 9ers have had in recent years" and "Looks like 9ers fans will never find out if GQ was really good or a bust".

That's just ridiculous. People who say that are doing nothing but looking at a stat sheet and looking for the result they want. Jimmy has had 10 NFL starts and ONE of them was bad. ONE.

In week one he threw 1 TD and 3 INTs. Lets forget all reasons for that statline and just go with it. No excuses.

Since that Game he had 4 TDs, 0 INTs, and over a 101 QB rating without his #1 WR or #1 RB.

How is that below average and why are peeps writing off his career? Dude will be back for traiing camp. The one good thing about the injury is that it happened so early he should be back in time for next year.
I remember you making similar statements about Kap, until they were proven wrong...... :)

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Maulbert":2s0moapd said:
Marvin49":2s0moapd said:
Maulbert":2s0moapd said:
rlkats":2s0moapd said:
He took hits that would have killed Jimmy G.

Actually, not really.

I'll take the next Tony Romo over any QB the 49ers have had since Jeff Garcia.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":174sj61t said:
Marvin49":174sj61t said:
Maulbert":174sj61t said:
Popeyejones":174sj61t said:

LOL.

I remember you making similar statements about Kap, until they were proven wrong...... :)
Kap is another animal. Kap was getting by with physical ability, not processing. Jimmy G is a much faster processor. That isn't going to go away.

Furthermore, Kap was on a team with: Vernon Davis in his prime; Delanie Walker in his prime; Frank Gore in his prime; Michael Crabtree in his prime; Randy Moss; Anquan Boldin (after Moss left); Ted Ginn Jr; Mario Maningham; the best offensive line in football by a wide margin.

So, Kap had a huge talent advantage around him.

But as has been pointed out before, Garoppolo's strengths are not going to disappear. He's always going to have a fast release and high short accuracy. His weaknesses are lack of experience and a tendency to throw off his back foot, which means he'll always have some turnovers. But he won't ever be "solved" in the way Kaepernick was, because Kap had a zombie-speed release and was not a great processor of information- in particular he was very poor at anticipating motion and throwing targets open (something Jimmy G came into the league with, and even demonstrated in his worst game- the one against the Vikings, where he threw Pettis open for the TD after pulling a Russell Wilson). Those are crippling weaknesses for a QB in the NFL unless that QB has outstanding athletic ability and talent around him. When the 49ers lost that talent, THAT is when Kaepernick truly got exposed. When they tried to force him to be a pocket passer, it only got worse.

Now, if durability is a legitimate issue (and I still think injuries are more chance than anything, but there are some fundamental physics involved as well, including his relatively slight frame), then yeah he won't ever pan out. But if this ACL is just a fluke, he's got 4 more years to grow in this offense, if the 49ers so choose. He will only improve. Unless the injury is career ending or shatters his confidence.

Why doesn't the same thing apply to Kap? Because Kap never actually showed the traits that real NFL QBs have to have. It was just assumed that he would acquire them. Jimmy G already has that foundation. The only assumption is that he will get better at reading defenses post snap as he gains experience. But even if he doesn't, assuming he remains relatively healthy, he'll still be a quality QB, as he has shown thus far. One bad game against Minnesota (which really wasn't as bad as the stat line showed, as he had multiple touchdown passes dropped) does not erase all the decent to good games. If he stays at that level I will be a happy camper. But assuming he isn't truly injury prone, I do expect him to get better at reading defenses post snap as he gains experience.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":3a5o1ceg said:

Oh, I'd take Romo over Garcia any day. You lose the athleticism but you don't have to deal with the ugly jump throws or Garcia's inherent schmuckiness.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2jp0pg6m said:
Marvin49":2jp0pg6m said:
Maulbert":2jp0pg6m said:
Popeyejones":2jp0pg6m said:

LOL.

Did I defend Kap? Hell yes I did. In fact I still think he'd have been a serviceable QB if they hadn't tried to make him what he was not.

He was at his best when they had a killer run game and run a ton of play action allowing him to heave the ball downfield with regularity.

Then they decided he needed to develop from the pocket and they made him do what he wasn't good at and he never progressed. In fact, he regressed. With all the RPO stuff going on right now, I think he'd actually play pretty well...certainly better than a number of starters in the league right now.

Point being here, Kap was in an offense that suited him and he had deficiencies he never overcame.

What deficiencies does Garoppolo have? What about their style of play is the league going to catch up with? What is it they can do to take him out of his comfort zone? See what I'm getting at?

With Kap it was seeing that insane athletic ability and thinking, "wow, if he can learn to play from the pocket he'd be unstoppable".

With Jimmy, where is the "if"? He plays from the pocket. He delivers under pressure. He wins. He plays well when they are behind.

What huge hole in his game is going to prevent his success?

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
Marvin49":rpiuz8rl said:
Sports Hernia":rpiuz8rl said:
Marvin49":rpiuz8rl said:
Maulbert":rpiuz8rl said:

LOL.

Did I defend Kap? Hell yes I did. In fact I still think he'd have been a serviceable QB if they hadn't tried to make him what he was not.

He was at his best when they had a killer run game and run a ton of play action allowing him to heave the ball downfield with regularity.

Then they decided he needed to develop from the pocket and they made him do what he wasn't good at and he never progressed. In fact, he regressed. With all the RPO stuff going on right now, I think he'd actually play pretty well...certainly better than a number of starters in the league right now.

Point being here, Kap was in an offense that suited him and he had deficiencies he never overcame.

What deficiencies does Garoppolo have? What about their style of play is the league going to catch up with? What is it they can do to take him out of his comfort zone? See what I'm getting at?

With Kap it was seeing that insane athletic ability and thinking, "wow, if he can learn to play from the pocket he'd be unstoppable".

With Jimmy, where is the "if"? He plays from the pocket. He delivers under pressure. He wins. He plays well when they are behind.

He's started 10 games. The book is still out on him. You're talking about him as though he's already Tom Brady.

As for holes in his game, I'd say durability. (THAT was me stirring the pot. :stirthepot: )

Marvin49

Reaction score
Maulbert":1ymam3ea said:
Marvin49":1ymam3ea said:
Sports Hernia":1ymam3ea said:
Marvin49":1ymam3ea said:
LOL.

He's started 10 games. The book is still out on him. You're talking about him as though he's already Tom Brady.

As for holes in his game, I'd say durability. (THAT was me stirring the pot. :stirthepot: )

Nobody is calling him Tom Brady.

I'm saying he hasn't been playing like an "average/low end starter".

You are correct, its just 10 game. Not even gonna argue that. I'm not going to say he's star even. What I am saying is he had one really bad geme, and 2 pretty good ones. If he doesn't get hurt, its possible that last one could have been REALLY good (they were driving for another score in 4th quarter when he tore his ACL, but we'll never know.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Popeyejones":atw6ap9p said:
5_Golden_Rings":atw6ap9p said:

Oh, I'd take Romo over Garcia any day. You lose the athleticism but you don't have to deal with the ugly jump throws or Garcia's inherent schmuckiness.
Some of those jump throws looked like Brett Favre stuff though. In fact, that's what I'd compare Jeff Garcia too: a short, weaker armed Brett Favre.

It's too early to see if he'll be on Garcia's level. He's the best since then, I'd say, and easily, though.

Latest posts