Garoppolo tore his ACL, out for season.

NINEster

Reaction score
Marvin49":tkqy0kkv said:
Maulbert":tkqy0kkv said:
Marvin49":tkqy0kkv said:
chris98251":tkqy0kkv said:
Won't matter the excuse will be if he was the same guy we traded for it would have been different.

...be careful. That sword cuts both ways.

If the Niners sweep Seattle WITHOUT Jimmy it'll be far, FAR worse.

Hold your horses, Trigger. Maybe the 49ers should try beating the Hawks ONCE before they focus on sweeping them.

To be clear, I'm not making a prediction here. I fully expect Seattle to win. All I'm sayin is don't count yer eggs yet.

The comment I'm responding presupposes that NEXT year Seattle beats SF yet again with Jimmy under center and assumes an excuse will be given as to why.

All I'M sayin is imagine the Niners beating Seattle without Jimmy and see how this site reacts.

EDIT: ...and BTW the talk of the streak is funny to me. I had completely forgotten about it. Why? ...because for a few years now the 49ers have been losing to everyone. when you are losing 10+ games every year, you kinda lose track of the "to whom" part.

The streak is funny because at best it should only include the two games the Hawks won in 2014 against the Niners starting with Thanksgiving, with Harbaugh and a decent amount of the 2011-2013 cast still around. What the Hawks beat for the most part was a Harbaugh offense so predictable and s**** that a QB like Kap wasn't going to get it done anymore. Guys like Gary Kubiak and Kyle Shanahan could have come to the Niners those offseasons and had the Niners win 10-11 games if Harbaugh's O got them 8.

You saw what Shanahan did with RG3, and RG3 in that one game against the Hawks looked better than Kap ever did against Seattle. I think Kap would have continued to win at home against the Hawks, at the minimum with a real OC.

2015-2017 lots of teams beat the Niners. Like Marvin said, don't think people have kept track of particular win streaks against the Browns the last few years.....

To me, the Hawk streak is 2 games if you want to talk about something meaningful.

The streak is in a lot of danger because for the first time in a long time the Niners have Seahawk kryptonite OC, and finally have had the QB finally to implement it. The exact opposite of what the Seahawks have faced so long with 1930s offensive guru Harbaugh and "suck against just the Seahawks" Kaepernick.

I don't want to get ahead of myself. Garoppolo vs Hundley and no Earl Thomas at Levi's is still cause for concern..........only sh***b**** Cardinals and Jeff Fisher Rams are allowed to beat the Seahawks.

NINEster

Reaction score
toffee":2c99jnzo said:
Looks like 9ers fans will never find out if GQ was really good or a bust,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:roll: :roll:

adeltaY

Reaction score
That's some masterful bargaining there. Nine games is nine games. It's a divisional rival.

If Andy Reid was our OC during that time we'd have three SB wins. Anyone can play that game. You telling me the Hawks offense wasn't predictable and shitty all those years?

NINEster

Reaction score
adeltaY":68iy7ihu said:
That's some masterful bargaining there. Nine games is nine games. It's a divisional rival.

If Andy Reid was our OC during that time we'd have three SB wins. Anyone can play that game. You telling me the Hawks offense wasn't predictable and shitty all those years?

I'm saying exactly that. It was never as bad as 2014 49ers, second half of the season.

Seahawk OC coaching >>> 49er OC coaching until Shanahan arrived.

2 star dining is still better than 1 star dining.

And Reid or any other OC wouldn't give you 3 SB wins. They might X and O better than Bevell but without the scramble drill you have 0 Super Bowls with Wilson. Reid, Shanahan, McVay might not have had the patience for scramble drill.

But hey, have your 9 game win streak.

It's just nauseating when it's labeled as "Wilson's streak". Guy throws picks in nearly every game against the Niners and would lose a fair amount to them if the Niners didn't average 6 points per game against Seattle.

Seattle defense - still doing it's job after all these years.

Give credit where credit is due.

Earl Thomas - I'll give him the 9 game win streak.

adeltaY

Reaction score
When did I say it's Wilson's streak? Of course many people refer to it as that because they attribute wins to QBs, which is a flawed, but easy way to talk about streaks and team records and such.

I wasn't saying that we would actually win 3 SB with Reid at OC, though I think we could have, but you said if y'all had Kubiak or Shanny those years you would've won 2-3 more games, which is a significant difference. I added hyperbole to mine, so let's say a more reasonable comparison is that if Reid was our OC we'd have won two SBs.

The scramble drill point makes no sense. Reid wouldn't be able to work with that? Do you see what's happening in KC? The man is a wizard when it comes to keeping defenses off balance, maximizing his QB's strengths, and minimizing their weaknesses. Bev was okay at those, but he was never close to Reid and certainly didn't use many of the college concepts Reid incorporated. A vanilla zone read doesn't hold a candle to what they're running in KC and Philly

toffee

Reaction score
NINEster":c43n89dy said:
Marvin49":c43n89dy said:
Maulbert":c43n89dy said:
Marvin49":c43n89dy said:
...be careful. That sword cuts both ways.

If the Niners sweep Seattle WITHOUT Jimmy it'll be far, FAR worse.

Hold your horses, Trigger. Maybe the 49ers should try beating the Hawks ONCE before they focus on sweeping them.

To be clear, I'm not making a prediction here. I fully expect Seattle to win. All I'm sayin is don't count yer eggs yet.

The comment I'm responding presupposes that NEXT year Seattle beats SF yet again with Jimmy under center and assumes an excuse will be given as to why.

All I'M sayin is imagine the Niners beating Seattle without Jimmy and see how this site reacts.

EDIT: ...and BTW the talk of the streak is funny to me. I had completely forgotten about it. Why? ...because for a few years now the 49ers have been losing to everyone. when you are losing 10+ games every year, you kinda lose track of the "to whom" part.

The streak is funny because at best it should only include the two games the Hawks won in 2014 against the Niners starting with Thanksgiving, with Harbaugh and a decent amount of the 2011-2013 cast still around. What the Hawks beat for the most part was a Harbaugh offense so predictable and s**** that a QB like Kap wasn't going to get it done anymore. Guys like Gary Kubiak and Kyle Shanahan could have come to the Niners those offseasons and had the Niners win 10-11 games if Harbaugh's O got them 8.

You saw what Shanahan did with RG3, and RG3 in that one game against the Hawks looked better than Kap ever did against Seattle. I think Kap would have continued to win at home against the Hawks, at the minimum with a real OC.

2015-2017 lots of teams beat the Niners. Like Marvin said, don't think people have kept track of particular win streaks against the Browns the last few years.....

To me, the Hawk streak is 2 games if you want to talk about something meaningful.

The streak is in a lot of danger because for the first time in a long time the Niners have Seahawk kryptonite OC, and finally have had the QB finally to implement it. The exact opposite of what the Seahawks have faced so long with 1930s offensive guru Harbaugh and "suck against just the Seahawks" Kaepernick.

I don't want to get ahead of myself. Garoppolo vs Hundley and no Earl Thomas at Levi's is still cause for concern..........only sh***b**** Cardinals and Jeff Fisher Rams are allowed to beat the Seahawks.
9 games ain’t streak?

Marvin49

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":n9my10rj said:
5_Golden_Rings":n9my10rj said:
toffee":n9my10rj said:
Looks like 9ers fans will never find out if GQ was really good or a bust,

You act like he is retiring. Last I checked it was a five year contract and with a rookie rt playing guard for the first time in hos life at the number one wr out for the first two games, he still had a 90+ rating on the year, with three dropped tds. Looked better than average this year and he’s only started 10 games. Pretty sure he’ll be back and he’ll improve.

Above average is too strong, but definitely average/low end starter; which is a bit better than what the 9ers have had in recent years. No reason he can’t improve (assuming he makes it through a season), you see some nice things from time to time.

Huh?

OK, couple things....

1) Pick six in week one was wrong route run by WR. Also under CONSTANT pressure that game as they lost both RGs and their rookie RT had to move in to RG (a position he hadn't played since High School) AND put their backup RT in at RT.

2) There wer no less that 5 or 6 drops in Minn, two of which were in the endzone and that says nothing of what would have been a HUGE gain to Kittle has Kittle not given up on it.

3) They lost Goodwin in the 1st quarter as well.

4) In the two weeks SINCE the Minn game Jimmy G had 4TDs, 0INTs, and a QB rating of 101.5.

Marvin49

Reaction score
adeltaY":13nldb0o said:
Minny D only looked good against the Niners tbh.

No argument there. Wasn't making that argument.

My above response was RE: he had been a "low-end starter" this year.

He had one bad game with a number of contributing factors.

rlkats

Reaction score
Marvin49":2czafmny said:
adeltaY":2czafmny said:
Minny D only looked good against the Niners tbh.

No argument there. Wasn't making that argument.

My above response was RE: he had been a "low-end starter" this year.

He had one bad game with a number of contributing factors.

To go off of what Marvin has stated. I was actually pleased with what I was seeing from Jimmy. He had issues and was visibly working on the said issues. Each week was a different learning curve. He was actually improving on not repeating the same issues. I would have put money on him being pretty good by mid season. Oh well maybe next year.

Rat

Reaction score
Beathard looked competent against the Chargers. Maybe there's some hope for him after all. I just have a hard time connecting the guy I saw at Iowa with being a good NFL QB, but I've been wrong before.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
CJB seemed more confident in the pocket than JG. The INTs, yeah, but I can't say JG wouldn't have thrown those.

He's a QB threat more than Boyer or Gabbert, for sure.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":13wah4nu said:
CJB seemed more confident in the pocket than JG. The INTs, yeah, but I can't say JG wouldn't have thrown those.

He's a QB threat more than Boyer or Gabbert, for sure.

as I said in other thread. INTs really not on him. One was right in the TEs hands and he let it bouce off his shoulder pads and the other was more fumble than INT when he was blindsided by Derwin James.

rlkats

Reaction score
I like what CJ did yesterday. He was very good. I will tell you what. He is one tough SOB. He took hits that would have killed Jimmy G.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
adeltaY":67s4wak7 said:

I really disagree with this. The scheme Seattle ran was perfect for their personnel. It spread things out so that Lynch could destroy linebackers, and it played to Wilson's strengths moving around and stretching the field horizontally and vertically. Wilson was NOT the QB then that he is now. Back then he needed that gimmicky offense. He is now a complete QB. He was not then.

The offense was ideal for the talent they had.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Maulbert":3rfjteds said:
rlkats":3rfjteds said:
He took hits that would have killed Jimmy G.

That thought has to concern Niner fans.

Actually, not really.

Beathard ALWAYS takes those hit. He's a tough SOB, but very often he is his own worst enemy. He holds the ball far too long, takes risks running the ball that he shouldn't, and doesn't have Jimmys release.

Last year, Beathard was getting hammered week after week. All of the sudden, Jimmy comes in and is one of the most seldom sacked QBs in the league.

The team didn't magically get better.

Beathard is a big reason he is getting sacked and taking hits.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Marvin49":3jepvu0s said:
Maulbert":3jepvu0s said:
rlkats":3jepvu0s said:

Actually, not really.

Beathard ALWAYS takes those hit. He's a tough SOB, but very often he is his own worst enemy. He holds the ball far too long, takes risks running the ball that he shouldn't, and doesn't have Jimmys release.

Last year, Beathard was getting hammered week after week. All of the sudden, Jimmy comes in and is one of the most seldom sacked QBs in the league.

Yep. He is a slow processor of information and has poor pocket awareness. The 49ers are doomed without Jimmy G. Time to play for Bosa.

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
Marvin49":18egv3nx said:
Maulbert":18egv3nx said:
rlkats":18egv3nx said:

Actually, not really.

All I meant is the comment that those hits would have killed Garoppolo has to leave you with concerns about his durability. Avoiding sacks is all well and good, but even if Garoppolo ends up a franchise QB, you're looking at the next Tony Romo (in terms of fragility, I mean). One thing I love about Wilson is how much he resembles a Bozo Bop Bag when he does take hits.