Geno Isn't the Guy. Sad to Say (Main)

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
I just think this thread is funny. Just a few hours ago Fade had a post about the defense already typed out, just waiting for a few edits here and there.

I thought it was a good game that was lost from a few mistakes. 2 bad plays gave Geno a bad stat line, he looked pretty good most the game. I think play calling and protection left him out to dry too often.
Geno held the ball for an eternity staring down his first read.

Those are the protection and play calling issues you speak of.

They needed to use Zach on the goaline and they escape with the W inspite of the backup QB play from Geno we witnessed most of the game.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I just think this thread is funny. Just a few hours ago Fade had a post about the defense already typed out, just waiting for a few edits here and there.

I thought it was a good game that was lost from a few mistakes. 2 bad plays gave Geno a bad stat line, he looked pretty good most the game. I think play calling and protection left him out to dry too often.
I feel sort of the opposite. It felt like a game Seattle should have lost by two+ scores to me. The Bengals seemed determined to keep Seattle in it.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
I put more blame on the pass protection and poor playcalling over Geno today.

I'm not saying Geno wasn't at fault, because he did have some bad plays, but he was under constant pressure today.
I originally said 50-50 but changed it to 51-49 on Waldron. Where the **** were the 12 and 13 packages? How much help was Curhan getting? Where’s tall Bobo or Fant in the redzone? Why are we running K9 up the middle inside the 5 yard line without even a FB? Why in the ever loving **** do we never consistently use a quick passing game? Seems like we have success with a few quickies in a game and then put it in the back pocket for half a season.

Geno was definitely struggling hard today against himself but the OC did absolutely nothing whatsoever (at least to my less Xs & Os knowledgeable eyes) to compensate for the turnstiles and help him out.

I’m not a fire Pete guy by any means but these offensive woes have been a staple of post XLIX Seahawks football. We don’t have Beast or fast and nimble ME3 back there. Seems like he’s always been trying to repeat that exact same offense without the players to do it rather than, say, BB who adapts to what his players do best. Honestly, it’s been the same on D as well since the LOB era players drifted away.

This was a winnable game on the road against a quality team and there are plenty of upsides to look at, especially on D. Getting Lucas back should help tremendously but both coordinators need to click on the same week, week after week if we want to have something to play for in December. Future looks great but coaching needs to play to the players’ strengths, not the coaches’ ideals.

edit: plus it's a non-conference loss, so not as damaging

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
I originally said 50-50 but changed it to 51-49 on Waldron. Where the **** were the 12 and 13 packages? How much help was Curhan getting? Where’s tall Bobo or Fant in the redzone? Why are we running K9 up the middle inside the 5 yard line without even a FB? Why in the ever loving **** do we never consistently use a quick passing game? Seems like we have success with a few quickies in a game and then put it in the back pocket for half a season.

Geno was definitely struggling hard today against himself but the OC did absolutely nothing whatsoever (at least to my less Xs & Os knowledgeable eyes) to compensate for the turnstiles and help him out.

I’m not a fire Pete guy by any means but these offensive woes have been a staple of post XLIX Seahawks football. We don’t have Beast or fast and nimble ME3 back there. Seems like he’s always been trying to repeat that exact same offense without the players to do it rather than, say, BB who adapts to what his players do best. Honestly, it’s been the same on D as well since the LOB era players drifted away.

This was a winnable game on the road against a quality team and there are plenty of upsides to look at, especially on D. Getting Lucas back should help tremendously but both coordinators need to click on the same week, week after week if we want to have something to play for in December. Future looks great but coaching needs to play to the players’ strengths, not the coaches’ ideals.
Broad brush I agree with most of this.

At the end of the day though, Geno had many opportunities in this game to not look like a backup and failed. He's getting paid $35M APY, the plan was good enough (albeit not stellar) to win this game.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
Broad brush I agree with most of this.

At the end of the day though, Geno had many opportunities in this game to not look like a backup and failed. He's getting paid $35M APY, the plan was good enough (albeit not stellar) to win this game.
Maybe between the 20s but the redzone plan was absolutely abysmal.

reynoldsrapper

Reaction score
GeeNO looked like a rookie. A fourth down sack, really????? Throw it up anywhere.....Good qb play was seen in Husky Stadium-not in a Seahawk uniform.....Time to get Locked on Seahawks.....

cymatica

Reaction score
I feel sort of the opposite. It felt like a game Seattle should have lost by two+ scores to me. The Bengals seemed determined to keep Seattle in it.
Not sure how you feel that way. Seattle won in all the stats except turnovers. The offense was driving up and down the field, but a few bad mistakes lost the game.

cymatica

Reaction score
Geno's fine. He had one terrible play and struggled in the red zone—no need to overreact after one bad game.
It's really funny, I'm not sure what game people were watching. The stats show Seattle would have won if not for a RedZone turnover

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
To me it would be negligent not to take a QB fairly early in the next draft. It's just time. We've got to prepare for the future. We haven't spent much of any draft capital on a QB since RW in the third round.

I go back and forth on Geno, probably because he goes back and forth for me. Today just freaked me out a bit after starting to feel good about him again, at least for the nearer term as our QB. He just didn't look confident or decisive.
Penix or JJ would be nice

chrispy

Reaction score
I think DK was hurting on some of his routes late-game. That lead to Geno 2nd guessing and some mistakes...understandable but not a solution. K9 seemed to revert back to dancing with the stars. OLine should have improved this game with personnel but looked much worse. D started slow but seemed to settle in. If any 1 of these issues had been reversed, the game is a win. ...not to mention the unattempted field goals, but that's also understandable.

This team probably isn't a SB winner as is, but SF wasn't today either. All said and done, a next week loss and the team's at 500; win and it's a playoff w/l ratio. Everything is still on the table.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
To me it would be negligent not to take a QB fairly early in the next draft. It's just time. We've got to prepare for the future. We haven't spent much of any draft capital on a QB since RW in the third round.

I go back and forth on Geno, probably because he goes back and forth for me. Today just freaked me out a bit after starting to feel good about him again, at least for the nearer term as our QB. He just didn't look confident or decisive.
This game shifted priority upward.

They have to be considering 1st rd now if they weren't already.