Geno Isn't the Guy. Sad to Say (Main)

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Geno led the league in turnover worthy plays last year. He had a lot of interception luck and it appears to be running out.

He isn't progressing as a passer, instead a regression back to what he's always been is taking place for everyone to see.

This is very disappointing as he has been surrounded by the most talented offense the Seahawks have ever put on the field.

He just doesn't see the field, he pre-determines where he's going with the ball pre-snap.

If he guesses right? Success, as he is a very talented and accurate thrower.

If he guesses wrong? Disaster. Throwing into coverage, or doesn't pull the trigger for the sack due to not trusting what he is seeing.

This is what he was with the Jets. The Seahawks have better weapons and the rules favor QBs more than back then so his numbers will look better, but this not good.

The Seahawks are at a point where there is no question they must take a QB in the upcoming draft, AND consider moving on from Smith to save CAP as Geno is not worth his ballooning salary numbers going forward.
In today's game, Geno did the same things many folks on here are complaining about his predecessor. This was a very winnable game that the Seahawks lost due to Geno Smith. He was horrific in the redzone.

Mike Hawk 425

Reaction score
He wasn't in this game. He's too small, I prefer Zach when it calls for hammering it up inside.

Are you just ignoring the TD K9 had in the redzone earlier in the game? I am not saying Charbonnet is a slouch, but it makes sense why they went with K9 there.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
I mean im not gonna dump on Geno and I am not super over reactive either.
However, Your Starting QB has 5 touchdowns in 5 games. That is not good. Idc who the qb is.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Are you just ignoring the TD K9 had in the redzone earlier in the game? I am not saying Charbonnet is a slouch, but it makes sense why they went with K9 there.
Just because a bad 3 point shooter makes a 3, doesn't mean you should not give the ball to a better 3 point shooter.

Zach is the better short yardage back. over using K9 in the red zone instead of Zach is a contributing factor to their terrible red zone numbers on the season.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Geno does OK between the 20s but I am convinced our red zone plan should be to put Lock in. We left 18 points on the field today and that isn't counting the last failure of the drive extending giveaway by our defense on Cinci's for scoring possession. This was a game we should have won handily.
Geno can't process fast enough down there. It will always be a problem for him, unfortunately.

Waldron needs to dial up the TEs down there and put Zach in to help him out.

Putting Lock in situationally will never happen.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Yep. Outside of the Lions, Geno has 1 TD drive in each of 3 games, and 2 TD drives in the other.

1.25 TD drives per game does not cut it.
This is why I made this thread. It's not a reaction to 1 bad game, those happen.

But what I've seen the whole season, and honestly, looking back to last year his final 8 games were not that great either.

Mike Hawk 425

Reaction score
Just because a bad 3 point shooter makes a 3, doesn't mean you should not give the ball to a better 3 point shooter.

Zach is the better short yardage back. over using K9 in the red zone instead of Zach is a contributing factor to their terrible red zone numbers on the season.

That's a terrible analogy. K9 has 6 redzone TDs this season, including one in this game.

I don't disagree that Charbonnet is better suited for the short game. Faulting the Seahawks for going to K9 there, especially when he had been running well up to that point, is a little silly.

Lots of blame to go around for players and coaches, but I have no problem with that decision there.

knownone

Reaction score
Outside of the Lions game, he's largely looked like a quality backup.

He is not fine.
He was the fourth most efficient QB in the NFL going into this game. That's one helluva backup.

He's fine. But don't let me stop you from overreacting to results like a flag blowing in the wind.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
To my limited X O knowledge and ability, I feel like putting Zach in in the Red zone and then quickly throwing it up to one of our big ass TE's or DK on a playaction was just what the doctor ordered. Just a smidgen of misdirection would be nice. Again, we have the personnel (accurate passer included) for it. It's kinda annoying when Pete chooses NOT to "get cute".

HawkFreak

Reaction score
This is why I made this thread. It's not a reaction to 1 bad game, those happen.

But what I've seen the whole season, and honestly, looking back to last year his final 8 games were not that great either.
Agreed. Scheming and Play calling to put Geno in spots where his weaknesses can be overcome. They have the talent now to do it

James in PA

Reaction score
Geno's internal clock SUCKS. No awareness whatsoever when guys are closing in on him. How the F do you take a 4th down sack?! Absolutely moronic.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Geno led the league in turnover worthy plays last year. He had a lot of interception luck and it appears to be running out.

He isn't progressing as a passer, instead a regression back to what he's always been is taking place for everyone to see.

This is very disappointing as he has been surrounded by the most talented offense the Seahawks have ever put on the field.

He just doesn't see the field, he pre-determines where he's going with the ball pre-snap.

If he guesses right? Success, as he is a very talented and accurate thrower.

If he guesses wrong? Disaster. Throwing into coverage, or doesn't pull the trigger for the sack due to not trusting what he is seeing.

This is what he was with the Jets. The Seahawks have better weapons and the rules favor QBs more than back then so his numbers will look better, but this not good.

The Seahawks are at a point where there is no question they must take a QB in the upcoming draft, AND consider moving on from Smith to save CAP as Geno is not worth his ballooning salary numbers going forward.
Thank you. I've been feeling and saying this from the beginning, but trying to give him time to see if he's progressing, but he's not. He's just not. Great guy, just not a great qb. We definitely need to be drafting a qb every year until we find The Guy.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
That's a terrible analogy. K9 has 6 redzone TDs this season, including one in this game.

I don't disagree that Charbonnet is better suited for the short game. Faulting the Seahawks for going to K9 there, especially when he had been running well up to that point, is a little silly.

Lots of blame to go around for players and coaches, but I have no problem with that decision there.
Zach would have 8-10 TDs if given those same reps.

GemCity

Reaction score
Just got back from Cincinnati. Not sure how Geno looked on TV but, it was bad live.

What the cameras likely didn’t show was JSN not having a defender within 7 yards, waving his arms, finally dropping his hands in disgust from not getting a look.

Definitely should’ve won but, if this Red Zone offense doesn’t improve….it’ll be a long season.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Geno's internal clock SUCKS. No awareness whatsoever when guys are closing in on him. How the F do you take a 4th down sack?! Absolutely moronic.
He didn't want to throw another pick
That's just stupid
How so? Zach is better in short yardage. It's only logical to think he'd garner more production if given the same reps.