Geno Isn't the Guy. Sad to Say (Main)

irfuben32

Reaction score
Seattle Overload did a tape breakdown of every Redzone play to answer that question.

This was a live recording, so they riff for the first 10-15 minutes waiting for people to join the stream but it’s very enlightening when they get into the tape.

This really needs its own thread

I really liked looking at the first 4th and goal. when looking at the play live, my thought was DK will be doubled and they willl be bringing heat. Have to get the ball out QUICKLY and give someone a chance to make a play, I saw Parkinson at the bottom of the screen and figured that was the best bet. Just chuck it up to the 6 foot 7 guy. After watching the play again I was suprised to see Colby break to the INSIDE where multiple defenders were. Then I saw Charbonet break out and I realized Parkinson moved inside to open up the flat for Charbonet. That is where the ball needed to go. Give Charbonet a chance one on one. That being said, that is a bad call on Waldrons part. takes too much time to develop. it still could have worked though. But if your not going to make that throw to Charbs then keep him in to block

renofox

Reaction score
This really needs its own thread

I really liked looking at the first 4th and goal. when looking at the play live, my thought was DK will be doubled and they willl be bringing heat. Have to get the ball out QUICKLY and give someone a chance to make a play, I saw Parkinson at the bottom of the screen and figured that was the best bet. Just chuck it up to the 6 foot 7 guy. After watching the play again I was suprised to see Colby break to the INSIDE where multiple defenders were. Then I saw Charbonet break out and I realized Parkinson moved inside to open up the flat for Charbonet. That is where the ball needed to go. Give Charbonet a chance one on one. That being said, that is a bad call on Waldrons part. takes too much time to develop. it still could have worked though. But if your not going to make that throw to Charbs then keep him in to block
What I took from their redzone plays review is that they went too easy on Geno and Waldron went too hard on Geno.

The run calls and blocking flat out sucked, but the magnitude of suckitude was amplified by KW's hesitation and lack of power. SW should have had ZC in there, instead.

The pass plays were almost all tight triple bunches. There was NO WAY for those 3 receivers to get any quick separation. Geno compounded the problem with slow reads, locking on receivers for 1.5sec+, and refusing to hit the open receiver and hope for YAC.

It looked like most pass plays relied on 10 yard routes that would take 2.5sec+ to develop, but it was obvious to everyone but SW that Geno would not have that much time in a clean pocket.

SW, Geno, and the O-line all shit the bed over and over again. Also, Bengals were disciplined and played well.

Still, in the 16-20 plays they reviewed, I saw 5-6 that normally-functioning Geno would've/should've made the quick pass completion for at least a gain and maybe a YAC TD. Every single running play would've had a better result with ZC over KW, imo.

BASF

Reaction score
What I took from their redzone plays review is that they went too easy on Geno and Waldron went too hard on Geno.

The run calls and blocking flat out sucked, but the magnitude of suckitude was amplified by KW's hesitation and lack of power. SW should have had ZC in there, instead.

The pass plays were almost all tight triple bunches. There was NO WAY for those 3 receivers to get any quick separation. Geno compounded the problem with slow reads, locking on receivers for 1.5sec+, and refusing to hit the open receiver and hope for YAC.

It looked like most pass plays relied on 10 yard routes that would take 2.5sec+ to develop, but it was obvious to everyone but SW that Geno would not have that much time in a clean pocket.

SW, Geno, and the O-line all shit the bed over and over again. Also, Bengals were disciplined and played well.

Still, in the 16-20 plays they reviewed, I saw 5-6 that normally-functioning Geno would've/should've made the quick pass completion for at least a gain and maybe a YAC TD. Every single running play would've had a better result with ZC over KW, imo.
Hard to have a better result with the hamstring injury. No idea why it seems to have been ignored here, but Charbonnet was hurt in the game.

renofox

Reaction score
Hard to have a better result with the hamstring injury. No idea why it seems to have been ignored here, but Charbonnet was hurt in the game.
Thanks for the info - I never heard ZC was injured in the game.

I see he's questionable for Cards game. I hope they give him the game off so he doesn't risk exacerbating the injury.

WarHawks

Reaction score
I know what a top five qb1 looks like. We saw it for years when Russ was in his prime, and Geno simply is not that. I don't understand how this is even debatable? We can all see he's trending downward. Let's stop pretending he isn't, and start figuring out how we get the next young Qbotf on board. Because until we do, we will be lucky to make the playoffs, and we will be floundering in mediocrity for perpetuity, wasting time we don't have.

knownone

Reaction score
Could the argument against Geno get any stranger? Let's clear up some confusion.

1) Geno supporters would happily move on from him if the QBOTF were on the roster or available.

2) Even the most adamant Geno supporters are not calling him a top 5 QB.

3) It's not evident that Geno is trending downward. The offense is in the top 10, and by most metrics, the running game and O-line are trending down. Passing is one of the things we do exceptionally well.

4) Geno is a good enough QB for this team to win games. That's why most of us support him.

toffee

Reaction score
A few random thoughts:
  1. Names of QBs that can single handedly lift a team to super bowl, playoffs, heck even win a game, with leadership, superior football IQ and skills? If only such guys have tattoo on their forehead, so GM and HC can find them? Aaron Rodgers sure tried.
  2. Names of QBs that are ready to win super bowls playoffs, and winning season when playing with superior supporting cast? May I say about 1/3 of league's starting QBs?
  3. Names of QBs that can be (2) with more experience? May I say 1/3 of league's QB?
  4. Names of QBs that will waste superior supporting cast? LOL, the rest.
Some here may think Geno is in (4), I like to think he is somewhere between (2) and (3). I think Geno is adequate, better than Trent Dilfer or Jimmy G, but may not be that much better. Geno is a 10 year vet? but he held clipboard too long, his real recent game time experience is less than 2 seasons from the moment Wilson injured his finger.

I don't believe that Geno is (1) or (4).

WarHawks

Reaction score
1) Geno supporters would happily move on from him if the QBOTF were on the roster or available.

Really? That's good to hear, because I don't get that impression at all after reading many of these posts.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Really? That's good to hear, because I don't get that impression at all after reading many of these posts.
Geno supporters became Geno supporters because of his structured, accurate play in comparison to the previous guy. He didn't really come into this role with many fans.

My take is that Geno is fringe top-10 with traits that make him capable of top-5 play in the best of times and fairly middling play when there is calamity with other units on the team, like there is currently with the deeply injured offensive line.

They should be looking to nail down the future at quarterback. It isn't Lock, and it isn't Geno for more than 2 more years at best. I don't think that there has been an opportunity to nail down a prime QBOTF yet, and I'm glad they haven't blown a pick there yet.

Rosco

Reaction score
Geno supporters became Geno supporters because of his structured, accurate play in comparison to the previous guy. He didn't really come into this role with many fans.

My take is that Geno is fringe top-10 with traits that make him capable of top-5 play in the best of times and fairly middling play when there is calamity with other units on the team, like there is currently with the deeply injured offensive line.

They should be looking to nail down the future at quarterback. It isn't Lock, and it isn't Geno for more than 2 more years at best. I don't think that there has been an opportunity to nail down a prime QBOTF yet, and I'm glad they haven't blown a pick there yet.
If Geno needs everyone to be perfect around him in order to be “top 5” than he is not a top 5 QB. Geno is a top 12-18 QB.

sutz

Reaction score

Not sure if I agree about Lock, but we'll see.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
If Geno needs everyone to be perfect around him in order to be “top 5” than he is not a top 5 QB. Geno is a top 12-18 QB.
First off, Geno is NOT a top 12-18 QB.
What he doesn't need, is for an Offensive Line to "Be Perfect", he just needs for More Consistency, LESS injuries that consistently leads to POOR Run/Pass Blocking, and for a play caller (Waldren) to come up with plays that don't Regularly require 3 to 4 seconds to develop, as there is NO Quarterback in the League that can sustain under those conditions --- NONE.

xray

Reaction score
Smith is good enough to help the Hawks get into the playoffs ; but never go deep once there . He will always be a " maybe next year " QB . imo

BASF

Reaction score
I wish people would stop with this QBOTF idiocy. Stroud was the only one worth giving up the two first round picks we would have had to give up in the draft, and Houston already jumped on it, because they had the pick. If you are going to argue that Richardson fit the bill, your judgement in this area is questionable.

Rosco

Reaction score
First off, Geno is NOT a top 12-18 QB.
What he doesn't need, is for an Offensive Line to "Be Perfect", he just needs for More Consistency, LESS injuries that consistently leads to POOR Run/Pass Blocking, and for a play caller (Waldren) to come up with plays that don't Regularly require 3 to 4 seconds to develop, as there is NO Quarterback in the League that can sustain under those conditions --- NONE.
Peyton Manning had one of the worst offensive lines in football both in Indy and Denver and yet he played like an all-pro.
Joe Burrow was getting sacked as if he had a local peewee league Oline blocking for him and he led the team to a Super Bowl.
Elite QBs don’t hold on to the ball longer then they need to. Elite QB have this unique gift of covering up a team’s flaws. Mannings colts were a 2-14 team without Manning.