Geno Smith: A Letter to the 12s

BlueTalon

Reaction score
He may have wanted to wait with that, that balloon is pretty full and might seriously deflate if we draft a young stud QB. I appreciate Geno but the future he isn’t. And not mentioning one player that wasn’t black? That isn’t sitting real well.

It’ll be real interesting if we draft Will Levis. Always compete.
Why couldn't he be the future? He doesn't have a lot of miles on him.

And who cares if his short list of Seahawks greats were all pigmented? It was a short list, not a comprehensive one. I'd have been more concerned if they weren't great.

You're right about things being really interesting if they draft Levis, though.

Hawk4life

Reaction score

And who cares if his short list of Seahawks greats were all pigmented? It was a short list, not a comprehensive one. I'd have been more concerned if they weren't great.

I think we’ve seen his best and 2 to 3 TD’s doesn’t work against a good offense. The door swings both ways, content of character matters. Who wouldn’t nod to Largent?

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I think we’ve seen his best and 2 to 3 TD’s doesn’t work against a good offense. The door swings both ways, content of character matters. Who wouldn’t nod to Largent?
When you write a letter to the 12s and you include a short list of Seahawks greats, you can be sure to include Largent. But it's kinda weird that you view Geno's short list of greats as being disrespectful of every Seahawks great who's not on the list.

Hawk4life

Reaction score
When you write a letter to the 12s and you include a short list of Seahawks greats, you can be sure to include Largent. But it's kinda weird that you view Geno's short list of greats as being disrespectful of every Seahawks great who's not on the list.
Like you say, it’s a letter to us, the fans. Obviously it’s intent is to gain our respect so why not honor the legends? I would have noticed and may have even become more in his corner. But then it probably isn’t a good idea for a black guy to mention he is a fan of white players.

It is rather telling since he included players before his time

Russ, Marshawn Lynch, Richard Sherman, Kam Chancellor, Michael Bennett, Bobby Wagner, Walter Jones, Shaun Alexander, Warren Moon

Last edited:

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Nice to see Geno take the time to write this letter. We appreciate you Geno.

JPatera76

Reaction score
Like you say, it’s a letter to us, the fans. Obviously it’s intent is to gain our respect so why not honor the legends? I would have noticed and may have even become more in his corner. But then it probably isn’t a good idea for a black guy to mention he is a fan of white players.

Russ, Marshawn Lynch, Richard Sherman, Kam Chancellor, Michael Bennett, Bobby Wagner, Walter Jones, Shaun Alexander, Warren Moon

I don’t think any of that matters and I feel like a mountain is being made out of a nothing burger. He could list Shawn Springs, or Joey Galloway, does it matter? No. In the end he was just acknowledging players that well, most the younger Seahawks generations are going to recognize. In no way by him excluding Largent, or Tez etc etc was he implying any disrespect or race.

Last edited:

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I'm not a Geno fan, but I dont have a problem with his list. Seems to be mostly modern players that he's familiar with. I doubt he's even truly familiar with Steve Largent and players from that era.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score

He can absolutely be the future.

Let's see how his prove it year goes!

Geno for Prez - Bitches!

BASF

Reaction score

Steve Largent retired in 1989. Geno Smith was born in 1990. Hmmm, maybe he was listing Seahawks he actually saw play. You know, during his time?

Some people can not get out of their own way when it comes to race. You have now been placed in the same category as the few posters that always intimated the Me3 detractors were racist. Be better.

Wheetie

Reaction score
To be honest, I wasn't a big Geno fan going into last season based on my perceived character assessment of him. However, watching and listening to him for the past year has certainly brought me around, and I can't help but root for a very successful career for him moving forward.

Hawk4life

Reaction score
Steve Largent retired in 1989. Geno Smith was born in 1990. Hmmm, maybe he was listing Seahawks he actually saw play. You know, during his time?

Some people can not get out of their own way when it comes to race. You have now been placed in the same category as the few posters that always intimated the Me3 detractors were racist. Be better.
Geno is actually way better than Russ when it comes to being genuine.

You do realize that what you said is the exactly why we have these equality issues, by putting people into categories? You label me, I label you and round and round we go. It isn't me who needs to be better but thanks for the advice. As a veteran I've seen all types of people and have friends from every background or whatever you guys are calling it. They are my friends because they see things the same way I do because they get that it is really about being a good person.

Pretending is harmful, demeaning and it doesn't do us any good, content of character matters.

Last edited:

GemCity

Reaction score
This article really didn’t help my path to tranquility pending the draft. I’m close to being at peace if we select a QB at 5. Or if we trade back. Or if we select Carter.

What a class act!!! I’m glad he wrote back.

Ruminator

Reaction score
That was a pretty amazing letter. Most of the 12s are going to root even more enthusiastically for him going forward. I sure will.