Geno Smith real deal? ...or just a flash?

Hawkmode

Reaction score
The excitement of our quarterback room seems very apparent to me as a fan. Touting Geno Smith does not rely on throwing dirt on RW or even making that contrast of skills. Geno has impressed me very much by removing two of my doubts about his makeup as a QB. I bought into the labeling of Geno as a "dink and dunk" QB who would hurt the opportunities of DK and Tyler to continue to terrorize our opponents secondary. Geno actually was the best in the NFL in the Deep Pass (according to Next Generation Stats). As the season progressed it became apparent that Geno has the tools to excell using the entire field and range of throws.

In his first season as a starter in Seattle, the fourth-year Seahawk led the NFL with a 69.8 completion percentage and set franchise records in completions (399) and yards (4,282). He led the league with ten games in which he had a passer rating of 100-plus.

The second area of concern I had was his "rep" for throwing picks. As a QB who throws into tight windows the opportunity for throwing actual picks as well as many "just missed" picks are going to be part of any high performing NFL QB.

According to Player Profiler, Smith was third in “Money Throws” last season, which are passes requiring exceptional skill or athleticism as well as critical throws executed in clutch moments. He was third in Deep Ball Accuracy Rating and fourth in True Completion Percentage.

His support was outstanding with Tyler Lockett/DK Metcalf/Noah Fant/Ken Walker III all playing major roles as play makers...and a young developing line with rookie bookend tackles in Charles Cross/Abraham Lucas and a pair of young guards in Damien Lewis and Phil Haynes.

The "surprises" Geno showed were a blend of moxy and athleticism complementing his ability to recognize coverage and find his "Go To" mismatch. Experience and devotion to taking care of his body are strong reasons to not expect regression...he's not a "developing" rookie nor a "flash" back up QB for a few games...he's the real deal.

Even if we only maintained the same support players from 2022 he could still project well for 2023...but we added greater depth in our RB room which narrows the drop off when Walker gets "nicked" and needs a few plays off. As a team we "toyed" with throwing to K-9 with some good "flash" results...Zack Charbonnet and Kenny McIntosh offer even more expansion of RB flat/curl...even slot routes with McIntosh.

Even more telling for feeding Geno more targets is the drafting of Jaxon Smith-Njigba as a WR3. His only "knock" is lacking elite speed to "threaten" a defenses structure (ie taking off the top). DK and Tyler have that "threat" covered...but JSN doesn't need elite speed to get "chunk" plays and YAC (Yards after catch) in bunches...due to precise routes and cuts into and out of his routes with excellent body control (hips) which defenders rely on as keys in "man" coverage...no wasted motion. Speed is great with precision... but lacking precision the speed doesn't shake your better NFL corners. JSN explodes into and out of his cuts creating space that makes him so "QB friendly". No team can assign their best man coverage corner on JSN while allowing DK and Tyler to run wild...LB/safeties/nickel corners offer a consistent mismatch for Geno and JSN to explore.

Smith-Njiba is coming into an offensive scheme that was ranked ninth in the NFL for points scored per game (23.9) and will be learning off Pro Bowl receivers in D.K. Metcalf and Tyler Lockett.

keasley45

Reaction score
Great post! Dont know how i missed it.

And agree - I'm most excited to see the expanded slot and rb rolls in the passing game. We should be able to find mismatches in every contest. There are just too many options for Geno to go to.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
We've been having these conversations since last season ended.

I honestly didn't see any part of Geno's play last year that would make me pause and say "yeah he played WAY over his head and probably won't be able to duplicate it next season."

- strong arm
- distributes on time and in rhythm
- adjusts at the line
- accurate
- leadership abilities

None of these are red flags that with Geno's experience and trust in the locker room would say to us "regression." In fact, now that he's had an entire year of starting, IMO there's no reason he wouldn't improve. Especially with a better and deeper supporting cast around him this year over last.

Mix

Reaction score
Geno is proof that a good QB can look great in a system that compliments them. If Hawks can win a lot of games, and make a playoff run. It shows that you do not need a 50+ Million QB to find success.

Mick063

Reaction score
Geno is really good. Why can't folks just accept that fact without qualification?

Mix

Reaction score
You know what I'm gettin' at. W/L can be tied to a QB but W/L aren't determined by the QB alone.
Yet not a lot of trash QBs with more than 8+ playoff wins.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Geno is really good. Why can't folks just accept that fact without qualification?
There are a few fans in here who are unwilling or unable to evaluate Geno without using their Russell Wilson 'Gauge' on every aspect of his play.
"He Lacks Wilson's Killer Instincts" and so on.
The man sat behind two other really good Quarterbacks digesting the intricacies of the game before coming to Seattle and play backup to Russ & his style of play, so the old adage "There's a Reason He's a Backup" doesn't really tell the whole truth, but that doesn't stop them from referring to that really dumb misnomer.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Ya except is a team game. Playoff wins aren't a QB stat.
I never said they were just a QB stat. I'm just stating that anything less than a playoff win isn't a success.
As usual, someone turns it in to another thread about a former player. Meh. Geno is damn good. It's still to be determined if he's the real deal. I suspect he's going to have a hell of a season. I was wrong about the guy, and that's a good thing.
But you can't say anything positive about a guy who was one of the best finishers in the history of the game w/out people getting butt hurt.
A big reason I stopped talking about the guy a long time ago. Glad he's gone, for several reasons.
Back on topic, I don't think he's a flash in the pan at all. Just not sure if he's the real deal, yet.

Last edited:

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
We've been having these conversations since last season ended.

I honestly didn't see any part of Geno's play last year that would make me pause and say "yeah he played WAY over his head and probably won't be able to duplicate it next season."

- strong arm
- distributes on time and in rhythm
- adjusts at the line
- accurate
- leadership abilities

None of these are red flags that with Geno's experience and trust in the locker room would say to us "regression." In fact, now that he's had an entire year of starting, IMO there's no reason he wouldn't improve. Especially with a better and deeper supporting cast around him this year over last.

Could not agree more.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I can.

Geno's gonna ROCK. He's got the attitude right. He's got the skills. You can plainly see him staring you down from my avatar. "You got a problem with me dude?!".

And, for the 4,000th time: We DON'T HAVE TO DO MUNICH THIS SEASON.

His 'slide' was post munich and post pete f'ing with waldron and the playcalling. First half and second half of the season were polar opposites, well at least on O. We're not gonna have that this year. And the defense won't suck! TOP is gonna be awesome.

Plus, he's confident. He's gonna push back a bit if Pete becomes to, well, Pete-ey. At least I hope.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt. Couldn't run it, couldn't stop the run. And absolutely KILLED in time of possession. That's a big reason they lost 5 of 6.
And that part of the season, they were hard to even watch. Carolina could have rushed for 400 yards that day. Just pathetic run defense.

Last edited:

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Geno is still a question mark in my book. I need a bigger sample size before going all in. He proved a lot of my thoughts about him wrong last season and also verified some of them too. He definitely has a much better arm and accuracy than I remembered. He also was a much better leader than I thought he would be. I still believe he is a system QB that falters when he is asked or needs to do more though. Again, I need to see more to form a solid opinion in terms of his ability to be clutch or not.

If there is a regression, I dont feel it will be enough to even mention. Same goes for improvement also. I feel he'll be hard pressed to improve on last years numbers, but those were pretty damn good. I guess I need to see him win more games and do something in the post season before I can classify him as anything more than a decent to sometimes good QB and yes, I realize its a team game and its not all about the QB.