Geno Smith real deal? ...or just a flash?

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
Discounting a very good year last year, along with a stellar performance last week, due to a first game where the entire team failed to launch seems questionable at best
Polarizing topic, isn't it?

As you stated, Geno Smith did have a good season last year overall. Yet, his best was during the first half of that season, and he seemed to have quit a deep falloff in the second half of that season.

Geno's game did improve in week 2 this season, but that came after his game 1 (100 yard performance) disaster, and you have to admit that did happen. Need proof? Look at that (1) in the Loss column. While I don't believe the Hawk's came out flat, they had the lead at half time, there certainly was a lot to not like about that game.

As I cited earlier, every member of the Hawk's starting offensive line plus the tight end are banged up, and Carolina still has that vaunted front 7 of theirs, and let's not forget Geno's propensity to fumble the ball when under heavy pressure.

Screenshot 2023 09 23 084128

I'm just saying that this could go either way.
Fingers crossed it all goes your way Maelstrom!

NoGain

Reaction score
At this moment in time, Geno's on a relatively team friendly deal now. Next draft will give the Hawks the opportunity to draft a QB (or two?), as there are a bunch of good college QB's to take a flyer on anywhere from round 2 through 5ish. I bet there's going to be some mad QB scouting going on for the Hawks this year. It's about time we actually spent a "higher" pick on a QB.

I'm optimistic about Geno so far, but still short on my ability from what I've seen so far to make something approaching an overall assessment of him yet. I need to see the rest of the year. I still find myself a little nervous that he'll revert to some less than desirable level of play, though some of this is not necessarily factually based.

It's just weird to have a QB suddenly become competent/good/reliable at such a late stage of their career after so many years of riding the bench.

keasley45

Reaction score
I don't see why people HAVE to qualify Geno as 'not this' or clearly 'not elite'... not the 'long term answer'.

It was the same thing that happened last year before the season... 'geno isn't a starter'... 'Geno cant lead this team'.

If he goes on to repeat last season ... goes 35 td vs say, 12 ints and 70% and isn't responsible for us losing in the playoffs...

Whenever would we have had a qb in the history of our existence that put together 2 seasons like that?

And if you coukd forget the name on the jersey and pretend it was a rook coming in and putting 2 seasons like that together, woukd anyone be saying the dude is NOT a cold blooded killer and already elite?

I dont think so.

We are being treated to some of the best qb play this franchise has ever seen and what do we do? Bicker about how the dude can't REALLY be good.

Rediculous.

If you swapped J Allen's name and face for Geno's, despite how disappointing he's been now for a bit, I feel like folks here would be giddy.

Go figure.

Rainger

Reaction score
Geno Smith....?
The same guy that threw for barely over 100 yards in the first game of this season?

Consider...
LT Charles Cross did not participate in practice (turf toe).
LG Damien Lewis did not participate in practice (ankle).
OC Evan Brown did participate, but isn't healthy (knee).
RG Phil Haynes did not participate in practice (calf).
RT Abe Lucas on IR (4 weeks).
TE Will Dissly did not practice (shoulder).

And I am supposed to put my trust in Geno Smith?
Yeah, um, not very likely...
My God!!! Too much insanity in the modern world.

eo620

Reaction score
I believe this question has been asked and answered. If you've actually been watching, the answer is clear. Highest completion percentage last year; Comeback Player of the Year 2022. We all know the answer.

sc85sis

Reaction score
He’s finding ways to lead the team to victory despite a ton of injuries to the offensive line. When he’s not at his best, he doesn’t cave under pressure.

renofox

Reaction score
He’s finding ways to lead the team to victory despite a ton of injuries to the offensive line. When he’s not at his best, he doesn’t cave under pressure.
That's what I've been wanting to see.

His pocket presence, processing speed, and overall awareness have been vastly improved over last year.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
And there is nothing wrong with his arm or accuracy. He can make every throw (even a few ill-advised ones, as we saw in the interception).

I'm beginning to trust him to find a receiver nearly every time if he has 2.5-3 seconds to throw; and he's creating some of that time in the pocket. He keeps his eyes downfield, too. Very RW3-esque. I like it.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
He struggled with consistency today but got the job done when he needed to.
He’s struggled with consistency for much longer than just today. It’s been an on-going trend for awhile now.