Geno to start game 3

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
The Covid thing changed it all. Though I couldn't agree more, Pete has decided, and it will be Geno. To start the season at least. What I DON'T look forward to is yet another Pete press conference, week after week, where he acts like everything is fine. Even if it's not close to fine.
R-E-L-A-X

Everything is fine!

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
The fact that Pete is still letting Geno start even though Drew missed the entire last preseason game due to COVID is all I need to hear about his plans. This "competition" was just lip service from the start. Pete never had any intention of letting Lock be the starter. Just my take.
You do realize this a preseason game and starting Geno to run the offense for one series looks more like a formality to keep peace in the QB room while the decision for team starter is determined, right?

From everything Pete has said the QB competition is quite tight and it's not unreasonable to think that Lock needs more study and practice to catch up and possibly even surpass Geno. This could be happening from this point on into the two weeks prior to the start of the season.

Pete may have decided who will start week one at this point, but I suspect he hasn't yet.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
I think we can all agree on one thing: we all WANT Geno to surprise us and play well enough to pile up some wins.
I honestly don't think this is true. Some here are clearly about failure until they get their way. If this happens I expect much greater failure will follow.

Regarding Geno, I certainly don't have a lot of expectations for him, but if he is the starter against Denver I will be rooting for him. Same goes for Lock if he ends up starting the season.

Many folks here ooze the stench of bile and negativity, as if they could do a better job of running a professional football franchise. Standing above the emotion it's quite interesting really.

I get pissed with the best of them on gameday with the inevitable mistakes that will happen for any and every team, but in the end it's a game and entertainment, unless you have money into it I suppose.

Spewing negativity ad nauseam is only reflective of the ones who spew.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
Geno and Drew are very similar except for years in the league. Still think Drew got a raw deal in his second year with covid opt-outs, coaches changed, and line injuries.

Both have similar stats in college.
Both are mobile.
Both are about the same height and weight.
Both have about the same arm strength and accuracy.
Both make the same mistakes.
Drew is younger.

Geno Smith

****Drafted 39th overall by Jets

Drew Lock

****Drafted 42nd overall by Broncos

NoChops

Reaction score
Of course Geno starts, what would you not have him play at all? If lock started, you know he would play at least three quarters because of the time he missed from covid. Then what are you gonna do, put Geno in for the last quarter and have him get hurt? You guys are reading waaaayyyy too much into this. Geno will play a series maybe two, then Lock comes in and wins the starting job...or not.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Of course Geno starts, what would you not have him play at all? If lock started, you know he would play at least three quarters because of the time he missed from covid. Then what are you gonna do, put Geno in for the last quarter and have him get hurt? You guys are reading waaaayyyy too much into this. Geno will play a series maybe two, then Lock comes in and wins the starting job...or not.
Yeah, I think the starting thing is overblown. It's been made clear that Lock is taking probably 3 quarters at minimum of playing time - that's what matters for him, and it's the right move.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
I think this is Geno's last chance to show the coaches that he's QB1. If he bombs, and Drew goes in and kills it, I believe Pete will name Drew the week 1 starter.

keasley45

Reaction score
I honestly think the players on offense are behind Geno. Whether that's a holdover of support from last year, or if it's that Lock isn't significantly better, I don't know. I base that on player interviews during camp and takes I've heard from a couple of reporters reporting on the competition - that Geno has a ton of support from his teammates on offense. It's not that Lock doesn't, but the rally to Geno is a bit more evident. Pete likely sees it similarly - All things being equal, that if the guys support Geno and have a chemistry with him, it's gonna be hard to unseat that.

If Lock was throwing the lights out, maybe support would be more firmly behind him (again, not saying he isn't liked, he just doesn't have the huddle the way Geno does). But all things being equal... just seems like it's lining up for Geno to start, unless Lock just goes nuts over the next few weeks.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I’d highly recommend listening to the full interview Salk did with Pete on Wednesday morning.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
sooo, Geno starts with a few 1st and 2nd teamere for a series or two. Lock replaces him and they quickly surround him with 3rd and 4th teamers?

that’s what I’ll be watching for. The players surrounding Lock for his first series or two. If it’s fair it’ll be generally the same players. If not it is what I think it is. A farce of a competition. We will see

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Failure to get their way? Sadly, you are right. Some do. We dealt with that for a decade with Russ.

Screw that, I want WINS. Couldn't care less who is at QB as long as they win. I just have my opinion, which means squat clearly.

kidhawk

Reaction score
This is a possibility. Having Geno the start and play one series looks more like personality management.

Drew will have his opportunity to show he is up to the challenge. The start in a preseason game is not particularly relevant especially given Pete's comments that there are two weeks following the Dallas game to decide.

Pete is certainly holding his cards close but which cards he has is no more clear today than the day training camp started.

It's been a decade since we had any semblance of a quarterback question in camp, so it's hard to know how Pete will play it, but I just would like to see Drew get every snap with the most number ones on the field. With Geno even getting one drive, it's assured that Drew will get that many fewer snaps with the number ones, and when it comes down to it, The last pre season game before the season, I'd like to see our presumed starter getting the snaps with the number ones. Geno got more of those last week while Drew was out, so if Pete wasn't already planning to start Geno, why give him any time with the starters?

keasley45

Reaction score
I dont think it makes a hill of beans of difference who starts vs Dallas. Dallas isn't playing any starters, so both guys are going against backups. Could be that PC and McCarthy spoke (coaches do talk) and if Pete got word mid week that Dallas is running their pine squad, that basically nullifies any value in marching Drew out first. My guess is Drew will get some snaps with the same players at the top of our order that Geno does. So in that sense, it doesn't matter.

keasley45

Reaction score
To NY, and to Aros...

Who said everyone on here is a Hawk fan? Is there some kind of poll that must answered honestly? If so, explain Marvin, Red Alice, and others who definitely are NOT Hawk fans...

No, there are plenty of people on here who are not; that's a ridiculous argument to make.

Right now there's little honest football conversation, just a bunch of loose, emotional opinions flying around. And that should be fine on a forum.

But there should be a forum thread(s) just for straight football analysis that doesn't get hijacked by hundreds of useless, non-contributing posts venting constant frustrations.

Agree. Makes it hard to have a substantive convo about football when the convo is torpedoed by "he sucks, he's ugly, he's terrible..." comments that pull the entire convo down.

We may all be Hawks fans, but when emotion, and emotional attachment / resentment toward a player or coach trumps any reasonable effort to DISCUSS anything, the quality of discourse suffers greatly.

There's a place for everything, and sehawks.net can accommodate emotion based, opinion driven discussion as well as more analysis driven conversation. Those things don't necessarily always play well together.

Could be as simple as a 'chalk talk' thread, where proper analysis of the game and player performance drives conversation and then, via contributions of forum members, becomes a basis from which varying opinion may even be drawn. The same players and games would be discussed, just from a less emotional angle.

BASF

Reaction score
Agree. Makes it hard to have a substantive convo about football when the convo is torpedoed by "he sucks, he's ugly, he's terrible..." comments that pull the entire convo down.

We may all be Hawks fans, but when emotion, and emotional attachment / resentment toward a player or coach trumps any reasonable effort to DISCUSS anything, the quality of discourse suffers greatly.

There's a place for everything, and sehawks.net can accommodate emotion based, opinion driven discussion as well as more analysis driven conversation. Those things don't necessarily always play well together.

Could be as simple as a 'chalk talk' thread, where proper analysis of the game and player performance drives conversation and then, via contributions of forum members, becomes a basis from which varying opinion may even be drawn. The same players and games would be discussed, just from a less emotional angle.
Love the idea, but these people ran off Kearly. It will happen again and again because they can not help themselves tearing down good solid analysis. It is their enjoyment.

toffee

Reaction score

May be the admin of this site could create a "Deep Dive" section for nerds to talk football in more details? Most 12s enjoyed "personality" contests, ie player X sucks or player Y rocks, not interested or not into why X sucks or why Y may not rock.