George Fant

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
xStickybudz":1w6ermbe said:
Tusc2000":1w6ermbe said:
hawknation2017":1w6ermbe said:
Would have been nice if they had drafted an OT, i.e. Cam Robinson and/or Taylor Moton.

Yup. They had that chance, but Schneider was too busy playing games to get a few more 3rd and 4th round picks.

You seriously gonna blame john, We have a perennial contender because of that man.
for reals--the poster's on crack

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
What was really sickening was how the announcers were talking about how great he was doing in camp, getting in shape, solidifying the llt, how much the coaches were looking forward to seeing him develop this year, then BAM--the next play--somebody's down--it's Fant--the guy they were just talking about.

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1lje4nj3 said:
I actually heard someone in the stands blaming John and Pete when Fant went down. :roll:

Even big Fant fans should be able to admit the guy still needed game reps to continue his crash course in the NFL OT position. Why not blame Britt if you gotta blame someone?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep, I felt horrible when he went down. That being said, it's not like we are talking about a good LT that we can feel truly comfortable about.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
There is some good film out of that game where Fant is just stonewalling Everson Griffin. He was definitely coming along and this is a pretty big blow to be honest. I don't feel great about Odhiambo or Joeckel. I know Russ can make due with a crappy OL, but it would have been nice to see what he could do with some semblance of an average OL.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":32ggh5xs said:
Yep, I felt horrible when he went down. That being said, it's not like we are talking about a good LT that we can feel truly comfortable about.
No, but we are talking about a player that added a lot of muscle, put in a shit-load of hard work, talking with Walter Jones in the off season for some inside info, honing his craft, and taking his play to the next level to be that "Good LT" That We Can Feel Truly Comfortable About".
It isn't easy finding someone who won't be mediocre at best playing LT...It's the Quarterbacks blind side, and thus, requires someone with a lot more 'Get After It'
LT is one of the toughest positions on the O-Line, and thus far, there hasn't been anyone on the roster that's tested out better than Fant.
It's now become "Sink Or Swim" time for someone on the team.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3ou5qcy1 said:

Even if you're right, what's more important is this weakens our already thin O-line depth AND moves guys around to positions they're not as effective at.

The O-line is a very delicate balance, that can have a negative chain reaction when one guy goes down. So IMO even more important than Fant going down is it creates weaknesses elsewhere because now we're sliding people around.

Jville

Reaction score
The good news Pete had on George Fant is that there was no cartilage damage.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I feel bad for George Fant. He had a real opportunity to play in this league and possibly get a bigger pay day a few years down the line.

On the radio today I heard a talking head say that this was probably the worst possible loss the team could have besides QB. Seriously? A guy that was possibly a serviceable LT with the potential to be better? I can think of at least a dozen guys who would be a bigger loss. The loss of Fant was probably the easiest injury loss to absorb. Losing an all star, a pro bowler, or even a guy that's top 5-10 at his position is a much bigger loss than Fant.

While I feel bad for Fant, his current ability level is not one that should be as difficult to replace as that of most of the other positions on the roster. O-line is easily deemed the weakest group on the team. Fant was probably the 3rd best lineman on the team. And that ranking could be disputed. Getting equal or improved play beyond Fant should not be that daunting of a task.

I would argue that losing Fant will be the easiest replacement, whoever it may be in terms of production. We really only have last year as a base of comparison in regards to Fant. Is anyone really worried that we are now significantly worse at LT?

Jville

Reaction score
I'm thinking about Fant this Monday morning and his surgery ......... [tweet]https://twitter.com/GeorgeFant74/status/901969928563159040[/tweet]

Edit: to correct name.

RussB

Reaction score
Feel bad for fant, but he wasnt that good. In fact he was bad, why does he get so much praise is what i never get.

Hes not an NFL caliber tackle, played basketball not that long ago, did about as good as he could have but in the grand scheme just isnt a starting caliber NFL tackle. He got destroyed anytime he faced a good rusher. Im sorry but i dont want to see that as a fan and dont want to see wilson looking like a crash test dummy behind the O line.
Seahawks%20Buccaneers%20Football

Jville

Reaction score
^^^
:177692: An absolutely terrible post IMO. Russell Wilson would disapprove.

RussB

Reaction score
Jville":3fveca42 said:
^^^
You think wilson liked fant getting blown by constantly or fants constant penalties? Im not hating on fant hes just not that good and never was, he was thrown into a role where he had very little chance of being successful and thats exactly what happened. He did the best he could but ex B-ball players have no business blocking guys like chandler jones and robert quinn.

I actually blame the coaching staff for letting him start.Fant did all he could.

Jville

Reaction score
RussB":3w4kcvln said:
Jville":3w4kcvln said:
^^^
You think wilson liked fant getting blown by constantly or fants constant penalties? Im not hating on fant hes just not that good and never was, he was thrown into a role where he had very little chance of being successful and thats exactly what happened. He did the best he could but ex B-ball players have no business blocking guys like chandler jones and robert quinn.

I actually blame the coaching staff for letting him start.Fant did all he could.

Never-the-less ...... Wilson would disapprove. It is contrary to what Wilson strives for .... more love and empathy is needed ...... [tweet]https://twitter.com/DangeRussWilson/status/901874405768171520[/tweet]

Seymour

Reaction score
RussB":1lbzs0s4 said:
Feel bad for fant, but he wasnt that good. In fact he was bad, why does he get so much praise is what i never get.

Hes not an NFL caliber tackle, played basketball not that long ago, did about as good as he could have but in the grand scheme just isnt a starting caliber NFL tackle. He got destroyed anytime he faced a good rusher. Im sorry but i dont want to see that as a fan and dont want to see wilson looking like a crash test dummy behind the O line.

Ya, because Fant let all 4 of those guys hit Russell. :roll:

hawk45

Reaction score
Jville":1c00rm2y said:
^^^
What was terrible? We aren't teammates, Russ is.
On a personal level the injury to Fant is a gut punch. On a football level the injury to Fant ejects a cable convert that I was convinced would be wildly inconsistent once more like projects are.
In others words it may be a football positive and certainly isn't a game changer for this season due to any proven reliability. Fant was the neat story last year and off-season hero this year. So what.

Jville

Reaction score
hawk45":22webuet said:
Jville":22webuet said:
^^^
What was terrible? We aren't teammates, Russ is.
On a personal level the injury to Fant is a gut punch. On a football level the injury to Fant ejects a cable convert that I was convinced would be wildly inconsistent once more like projects are.
In others words it may be a football positive and certainly isn't a game changer for this season due to any proven reliability. Fant was the neat story last year and off-season hero this year. So what.

A Cold Post ...... as in without empathy or understanding. [tweet]https://twitter.com/Seahawks/status/900816513602420736[/tweet]

Before he (Russell Wilson) was a Super Bowl Champion and 3x-Pro Bowler, @DangeRussWilson was competing to become QB1.

hawk45

Reaction score
Personal. Football. Different words with different meanings.
I didn't see the help wanted sign out for the thought police.