Gil Brandt's top LT's of All-TIme.......

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1bdbt3qx said:
chris98251":1bdbt3qx said:
Sgt. Largent":1bdbt3qx said:
Gil Brandt's a dinosaur, so not surprising half his list is dudes who chain smoked, sold used cars in the off season and weighed 210 lbs in the 50's and 60's.

Walter Jones is a top 4-5 tackles of all time. End of story. I don't need some sports nursing home octogenarian to validate that.
This is a statement of bias, each one of those guys were elite for their time, each one of them also have something in common, a toughness most people can only associate with 15 round Brawl, the smoke and drank and led their teams and protected their QB's, can't say that for about 90 percent of todays players, you messed with a RB or a QB as a defender you seen the LT in your face more often then not as well from when these guys played. Not I have a Boo Boo and have to sit out a few weeks.

I will add this, it was a game still for many of those guys who loved it, many now look at it as a business and have a different approach and mentality.
:2thumbs: Lot of the young ones do not understand "Toughness"It has been replaced with a pair of panties.

Every player that makes it all the way to the NFL is tough, that's not something that needs to be quantified into a greatest list.

Especially true for offensive lineman, who get destroyed every single play of every single game for their entire careers.

You can certainly say men who played in the NFL back in the 50's, 60's and even 70's loved the game, because that's all there was back then due to low salaries. But to say some bygone era had tougher players than today? Nope, they're all tough. It's a brutal game that requires only the toughest, again especially for a list talking about O-lineman.

sdog1981

Reaction score
A-Dog":3mldxkl0 said:
sdog1981":3mldxkl0 said:
Can you really make a rock solid argument that Walt is so much more superior than Munoz and Ogden? Once you take into account the different eras, top 5 is all the same.
"Rock solid" and "so much more superior?" No. But Munoz played at 278, and didn't face the specialized pass rushers that Big Walt and Ogden did. Ogden is a monster but at his size, he's simply not as athletic as Big Walt - Ogden ran a 5.05, Walt ran a 4.7. Walt is pretty much the physical ideal of the position, whereas Ogden's height is a bit more than ideal.

Then by your 278-pound logic, Joe Thomas is the best LT of all time and (Insert name here) drafted in 2030 will be better than them both.

White Devil

Reaction score
Aros":329hlg15 said:
Brandt is up there with Prisco for being perpetual Seahawk haters due to some unknown self-perceived slight by the team. It's the only thing that truly explains their disdain for the Seahawks year after year and is why I will never, ever, ever give them a click to any of their garbage.

This is what happens when you call him out on his blatant bias. I think this occurred after one of his Russel Wilson is a Game Manager tweets a couple of years ago. He's a Cowgirl. That's how he deals with criticism.

3Ce2vH1

A-Dog

Reaction score
sdog1981":2lhbwdb9 said:
A-Dog":2lhbwdb9 said:
sdog1981":2lhbwdb9 said:
Can you really make a rock solid argument that Walt is so much more superior than Munoz and Ogden? Once you take into account the different eras, top 5 is all the same.
"Rock solid" and "so much more superior?" No. But Munoz played at 278, and didn't face the specialized pass rushers that Big Walt and Ogden did. Ogden is a monster but at his size, he's simply not as athletic as Big Walt - Ogden ran a 5.05, Walt ran a 4.7. Walt is pretty much the physical ideal of the position, whereas Ogden's height is a bit more than ideal.

Then by your 278-pound logic, Joe Thomas is the best LT of all time and (Insert name here) drafted in 2030 will be better than them both.
No.

What I'm saying is, could Munoz still be effective if he added 50 pounds? Could he be effective when one play he's getting bull rushed by a 300 pound mauler, and the next play he's in space against a 245 LB speed rusher?

I'm not saying he couldn't, but Walter Jones already showed that he could. He came in to the league 20 years ago and at least physically, tackles have not evolved beyond him. He is still the prototype and I don't see that changing any time soon.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":uot9heu5 said:
Gil Brandt's a dinosaur, so not surprising half his list is dudes who chain smoked, sold used cars in the off season and weighed 210 lbs in the 50's and 60's.

Walter Jones is a top 4-5 tackles of all time. End of story. I don't need some sports nursing home octogenarian to validate that.

Bravo! Bravo! Excellently articulated! Couldn't have said it better myself!

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Stopped reading when the list had Art Shell at #20. Yeah, way to delegitimize your whole article right from the beginning.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
White Devil":1xecfzcv said:
Aros":1xecfzcv said:
Brandt is up there with Prisco for being perpetual Seahawk haters due to some unknown self-perceived slight by the team. It's the only thing that truly explains their disdain for the Seahawks year after year and is why I will never, ever, ever give them a click to any of their garbage.

This is what happens when you call him out on his blatant bias. I think this occurred after one of his Russel Wilson is a Game Manager tweets a couple of years ago. He's a Cowgirl. That's how he deals with criticism.

3Ce2vH1

Not at all surprised. Prisco is the same from what I gather. They love dishing out their negative Seahawks rhetoric but call them out on it and they can't handle it and pull the plug on you like children. Again, I don't read a single word from either of them and I am a better man for it.

ChiefHawk

Reaction score
sdog1981":28tjft9n said:

Ogden and Munoz are both outstanding players at their positions, and I watched them both play. They both deserve to be in the top 5.

But yes.

Walter Jones was tough enough and strong enough to play every down that Munoz did. Munoz was not technically proficient enough to take Walters snaps.

Ogden was not as confident and refined as Walter. Ogden would use a chaotic burst and try and overpower a DT/DE, when Walter already had that man beat three steps ahead of his move. Walter was already in the right position with the right footing to apply the proper power and made it look easy.

Walter was far more proficient, even in the high penalty era (same as Ogden) - look at the penalties he was called for an how many sacks he allowed.

Walter always had his hands and feet in right place before the defensive player tried to pull off whatever they thought they could get away with. He beat them all physically, mentally, technically, and in effort.

Walter Jones is the best LT ever to play the game, the best Seahawk player to date (yes, I watched Largent play as well), and the best football player I have even seen play in any position at any time.

Latest posts