Great offensive win, Something has to change on D

mistaowen

Reaction score
After this game they have to be overall in the bottom 5 right? I know they are dead last in a few areas. This awful cover 2 is beaten every single week but yet don’t make any adjustments. Pete will say they see things they like, areas to work on, etc but then another 34 points and almost 500 yards given up.

Someone needs to be relieved of duties. I know Pete won’t fire Ken Norton midseason or probably ever but man they look awful! DL can’t generate pressure even sending extra guys, receivers wide open all over, tackling pretty sloppy. It’s amazing that the offense has to score 30+ to barely squeak out wins.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
mistaowen":thxaf8k3 said:
After this game they have to be overall in the bottom 5 right? I know they are dead last in a few areas. This awful cover 2 is beaten every single week but yet don’t make any adjustments. Pete will say they see things they like, areas to work on, etc but then another 34 points and almost 500 yards given up.

Someone needs to be relieved of duties. I know Pete won’t fire Ken Norton midseason or probably ever but man they look awful! DL can’t generate pressure even sending extra guys, receivers wide open all over, tackling pretty sloppy. It’s amazing that the offense has to score 30+ to barely squeak out wins.
I don't think there is any fixing this defense this season. Our best bet is to play a bend but don't break style and pray for the best. If we're going to do anything this season it has to go through the offense. I really hope Carroll realizes this and plays to our strengths.

iigakusei

Reaction score
The only thing that seems to be fixable is the tackling. Stop trying to strip the ball every time and just tackle. Every single player is guilty of it.

tersal

Reaction score
mistaowen":1rfsavwk said:

To early for a negative comment like this. Your post has merit, but let the win sink in.

calinator

Reaction score
Pressure is why this defense isn't working. To run a zone defense you must have pressure or any QB will pick you apart. They are running a 4-3 zone scheme against nickel and dime defenses to help if the other team tries to run but because of lack of pressure this isn't effective because holes in the zones just open. With a poor pass rush they are going to have to run way more man unless the pass rush gets way better. The slot receivers are going to abuse the holes in the zone easily.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Ultimately to me the worst feature of the D is the repetitive Missed and broken tackles. This is fixable but it is not on Pete but more on Norton and he needs to kick some asses.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Could we find defensive help instead of Josh Gordon?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Why does everyone point the finger at Norton regarding the D? Pete is a defensive minded coach. He has influence on the defense. Norton isn’t operating in vacuum. This is Pete’s defense and he should be blamed for their inadequacies.

zchurch74

Reaction score
At the end of the season do we fire norton and bring back Quinn?

Seahawlnut89

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3e4715fd said:
Why does everyone point the finger at Norton regarding the D? Pete is a defensive minded coach. He has influence on the defense. Norton isn’t operating in vacuum. This is Pete’s defense and he should be blamed for their inadequacies.

If you're critical of Pete on this board, I've noticed that it's often met with hostility or labled as ignorant.

Seahawlnut89

Reaction score
Seahawlnut89":35eguc5d said:
hawkfan68":35eguc5d said:

If you're critical of Pete on this board, I've noticed that it's often met with hostility or labled as ignorant.

Or if you criticize Pete at all, it means you want him fired.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
The defense is agrivating but so is alot of teams defense. Aaron Rodgers has been dealing with average defenses on his team.. the defense wouldn't be so bad today if not for a very lucky balance. I just wish Blair could have made that pick..
Our biggest problem is we aren't getting takeaway.
Hopefully they can turn a corner.. next week will tell us alot.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
mistaowen":10unih9g said:
After this game they have to be overall in the bottom 5 right?

But at the same time, TB just gave up 40 points. So Seattle defence is at least a notch higher on the rung than the Buccaneers right?

The Breh

Reaction score
Whoever is at fault, one thing is for certain-
We have way too much talent on that side of the ball to be performing the way they are.
If it's the "bend, don't break" shit with soft CB zone coverage, then something needs to change.

andyh64000

Reaction score
I think much of it is scheme. We are running a defense that requires elite safeties and ours are young and mediocre and it leaves an incredibly soft middle. Some of this would be solved with pressure on the QB but for whatever reason we can't seem to generate anything without an all out blitz. Personnel isn't going to change much so Pete and Ken need to adjust the scheme.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2zwkgwh2 said:
Could we find defensive help instead of Josh Gordon?

the team has been looking and may have some talent here already in Diggs. today he pass rush was yet again invisible save for Clowney.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
The change should start with canning Ken Norton. He fielded a border line historically bad defensive unit in Oakland for a couple years in between his stops here. I was shocked when Pete hired him on as DC after that mess. Did I want Richard gone? You bet I did, very early on. But being replaced with Norton has been just as bad. His soft defensive scheme just isn't working.

cymatica

Reaction score
Should just throw away the emphasis on not getting beat deep. They are getting beat anyways, so might as well jump routes and send the house with man coverage. If you are giving up points anyways Better to give up a quick score, giving their D less rest and ours less time on field getting gashed

Latest posts