Greg Cosell on 2014 WRs

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Abbrederis has some amount of dispute about his concussion history. He says one, some are claiming 3 or 4. It could make him slide further.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
See the link I posted on Ellington. There's a report on the same page about Abbrederis. I like both him and Moncrief (mentioned by Kearly in this thread.) I see and agree with the approach that the Seahawks are likely taking. So, we're not going to see a WR taken in the first round. That would make letting Tate walk make less sense. So, it will be interesting to see if the Hawks are even targeting a WR in the earlier rounds and even if they are seeing that as a position of need.

They've got some good talent already and interesting prospects for competition.

Could they being looking at keeping just 4 receivers (Harvin, Kearse, Baldwin, Lockette) and going with more TE's since they are supposedly going to sign Finley? Both Finley and Willson are like TE/WR tweeners. Walters was on the active roster a bit in 2013. Bates has stuck around. I'm interested to see if he gets into the action a bit more. Recently signed Matthews would likely have to beat out Lockette, which might be a tough task given Lockette's special teams ability. Perhaps Matthews and Clark could be destined for the PS. I know, still to early to call any of that.

McGruff

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":1h6090ff said:
Thanks for the insight. Who would you compare him to in the NFL outside of the Hawks?

And combo of Steve Largent, Joe Jurevicious, Brandon Stokley and Ed McAffrey . . . :)

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":26ooky04 said:
Abbrederis has some amount of dispute about his concussion history. He says one, some are claiming 3 or 4. It could make him slide further.

Yeah I'm hearing rumblings about that as well. Hard to tell from the outside but I'm sure it'll factor in.

ivotuk

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":3tjsfw2x said:
Was anything mentioned of Bruce Ellington? Haven't heard others discuss Ellington. Am I the only one here at .net that is intrigued by this guy? Cousin of Cardinals' Andre Ellington.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl-prospe ... --nfl.html

Ellington lacks great size at 5093 – 197, but he is an excellent athlete. He may have had the best overall receiver workout at the Combine, running 4.45, with jumps of 39.5 and 10’ and a 6.69 three-cone. He also did 15 reps of 225. While not tall, he has long arms and is well built. His lower body is thick and muscular. He looks more like a running back than a receiver. (Sound like anyone the Seahawks just lost in free agency?)

Ellington is very quick off the line. He easily avoids or fights through jams and gets into his routes quickly. He is still raw as a route runner, but with his great body control and quickness, he is able to get separation on short and long routes. He has very good hands and shows top ability to adjust to the ball. He is effective as both a short and long receiver, and with his top run skills, he can consistently turn a short reception into a long gain. As a kick returner, he shows top instincts and doesn’t dance.

When you factor in that Ellington has only played two years of college football and never really devoted all his time to the sport, you have to say he has unlimited potential. He still has to develop his route running skills, but he can be a special player in time.

How tall is Ellington? Looking at the bolded above I thought you were saying 5'9" and the first person I thought of was Darren Sproles.

NM http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/play ... -ellington

HunnyBadger

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":326qnuyv said:
Scottemojo":326qnuyv said:

Yeah I'm hearing rumblings about that as well. Hard to tell from the outside but I'm sure it'll factor in.

Yeah, I was a bit concerned about his wear and tear...he's a redshirt Senior and he plays hard every down. Hopefully he won't be Ryan Swope 2.0. If we get him in 4th+ round I'd be happy.

Seahawkscrazy

Reaction score
For me, Odell Beckham is too short. He checks all the boxes in terms of speed and skills, but we already have smaller WR's- guys like Quincy Enunwa and Jordan Matthews are who I have floating through my dreams.

Even Abbrederis isn't THAT tall.

GCrow

Reaction score
Consider my want for Moncrief growing. Here's what Cosell had to say more specifically about him (from Rotoworld)
NFL Films' Greg Cosell stated on the Ross Tucker Podcast that he sees "style" similarities between Ole Miss WR Donte Moncrief, and Demaryius Thomas and Josh Gordon on Moncrief's college tape.
Cosell made it clear he wasn't wholeheartedly comparing Moncrief to Thomas and Gordon, but did liken their playing styles. "I really, really like this kid," Cosell said. "He's a big, physical kid who can run." Cosell also hinted he sees Moncrief as talented enough to be a "No. 1" NFL receiver. Moncrief measured 6-foot-2, 221 at February's Scouting Combine. His official forty time was 4.40.

/runs away from anti-Cosell clan.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
GCrow":20zxg7vm said:
Consider my want for Moncrief growing. Here's what Cosell had to say more specifically about him (from Rotoworld)
NFL Films' Greg Cosell stated on the Ross Tucker Podcast that he sees "style" similarities between Ole Miss WR Donte Moncrief, and Demaryius Thomas and Josh Gordon on Moncrief's college tape.
Cosell made it clear he wasn't wholeheartedly comparing Moncrief to Thomas and Gordon, but did liken their playing styles. "I really, really like this kid," Cosell said. "He's a big, physical kid who can run." Cosell also hinted he sees Moncrief as talented enough to be a "No. 1" NFL receiver. Moncrief measured 6-foot-2, 221 at February's Scouting Combine. His official forty time was 4.40.

He is by far and away the WR I want.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2tw5855w said:

Like how Robert Turbin can't run 15 yards without getting an obligatory holding penalty, it seems I can't find a mid-round pigment-impaired WR to love without him being doomed by concussions.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
kearly":lezyt18f said:
Scottemojo":lezyt18f said:

Like how Robert Turbin can't run 15 yards without getting an obligatory holding penalty, it seems I can't find a mid-round pigment-impaired WR to love without him being doomed by concussions.

As someone who is super pigment-impaired myself, it is an issue with me from a WR standpoint. Personally, I don't like pigment-impaired WR's......even if Abbrederis wasn't pigment-impaired, I wouldn't want him on the team.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Seahawkscrazy":2u8r2vtw said:
BTW, Abbrederis only benched 220 4x at the combine...at 195lbs, that's pretty weak.
Yeah, doesn't bother me a bit. He may lack in the weight room for now, but I would suspect a walk on who had that kind of impact doesn't lack work ethic. Sid put on something like 10 or 15 pounds of muscle with our training staff. So can Abbrederis.

I know my biggest attraction to Abbrederis is that he shared a brain with Wilson when Wilson would scramble. If we could get a guy like that later in the draft, it would be a nice add.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
kearly":2l6i014y said:
Scottemojo":2l6i014y said:

Ah, Ryan Swope. Poor guy. It's a shame Stave tried to get Abby killed, at least Russell is a little more WR friendly, in fact I can only think of a couple of throws where he's led a receiver into brick wall.

ImTheScientist":2l6i014y said:
As someone who is super pigment-impaired myself, it is an issue with me from a WR standpoint. Personally, I don't like pigment-impaired WR's......even if Abbrederis wasn't pigment-impaired, I wouldn't want him on the team.

Please expand. A 'non pigment-impaired' Jared Abbrederis would be a first rounder. Your post (not you) is racist. Play around with the hue/saturation and rewatch his tape, the guy can play, and what more, the guy can play with Russell. There's plenty of guys I wouldn't want on the team, I'm just intrigued as to why you wouldn't want Jared Abbrederis?

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
ivotuk":15c7oq4p said:
TeamoftheCentury":15c7oq4p said:
Was anything mentioned of Bruce Ellington? Haven't heard others discuss Ellington. Am I the only one here at .net that is intrigued by this guy? Cousin of Cardinals' Andre Ellington.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl-prospe ... --nfl.html

Ellington lacks great size at 5093 – 197, but he is an excellent athlete. He may have had the best overall receiver workout at the Combine, running 4.45, with jumps of 39.5 and 10’ and a 6.69 three-cone. He also did 15 reps of 225. While not tall, he has long arms and is well built. His lower body is thick and muscular. He looks more like a running back than a receiver. (Sound like anyone the Seahawks just lost in free agency?)

Ellington is very quick off the line. He easily avoids or fights through jams and gets into his routes quickly. He is still raw as a route runner, but with his great body control and quickness, he is able to get separation on short and long routes. He has very good hands and shows top ability to adjust to the ball. He is effective as both a short and long receiver, and with his top run skills, he can consistently turn a short reception into a long gain. As a kick returner, he shows top instincts and doesn’t dance.

When you factor in that Ellington has only played two years of college football and never really devoted all his time to the sport, you have to say he has unlimited potential. He still has to develop his route running skills, but he can be a special player in time.

How tall is Ellington? Looking at the bolded above I thought you were saying 5'9" and the first person I thought of was Darren Sproles.

NM http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/play ... -ellington
Yup. 5'9" http://www.hogshaven.com/2014/2/23/5441 ... lington-wr
He's a player. Tough as nails. Take him.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":1tt5m4i2 said:
kearly":1tt5m4i2 said:
Scottemojo":1tt5m4i2 said:

Ah, Ryan Swope. Poor guy. It's a shame Stave tried to get Abby killed, at least Russell is a little more WR friendly, in fact I can only think of a couple of throws where he's led a receiver into brick wall.

ImTheScientist":1tt5m4i2 said:

Please expand. A 'non pigment-impaired' Jared Abbrederis would be a first rounder. Your post (not you) is racist. Play around with the hue/saturation and rewatch his tape, the guy can play, and what more, the guy can play with Russell. There's plenty of guys I wouldn't want on the team, I'm just intrigued as to why you wouldn't want Jared Abbrederis?

I guess we have to agree to disagree. I don't even see a 2nd rounder regardless of pigmentation. I don't want him on the team because he is just a guy. I guess if we got him in the 6th or 7th I would be fine with it because I can see value in that. I don't want him on the team as a 1st-5th round pick.

randomation

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":3cnqv001 said:
SomersetHawk":3cnqv001 said:
kearly":3cnqv001 said:
Scottemojo":3cnqv001 said:

ImTheScientist":3cnqv001 said:

I guess we have to agree to disagree. I don't even see a 2nd rounder regardless of pigmentation. I don't want him on the team because he is just a guy. I guess if we got him in the 6th or 7th I would be fine with it because I can see value in that. I don't want him on the team as a 1st-5th round pick.

I am biased but honestly with an actual QB Abby is likely an AA his speed and route running allow him to get open pretty much every play then its just a matter or whether stave overthrows him underthrows him or makes him make a crazy catch and take a massive hit in the process sigh.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":3jid61ht said:
Was anything mentioned of Bruce Ellington? Haven't heard others discuss Ellington. Am I the only one here at .net that is intrigued by this guy?

No you are not. I mentioned Ellington to Scotte in a PM just a few days ago. Ran across his stuff at random on a draft site, he's extremely "Seahawky" and has a lot of similarities to Golden Tate. Definitely keeping an eye on him, but the success of his cousin could help him get drafted before our 4th rounder.

McGruff":3jid61ht said:
And combo of Steve Largent, Joe Jurevicious, Brandon Stokley and Ed McAffrey . . . :)

Toss in some Jordy Nelson and Wes Welker for good measure. Maybe some Eric Decker too, but go easy on the Riley Cooper.

GCrow":3jid61ht said:

Cosell may have some major blind spots, but personally I agreed with 95% of his take on the WR group. Moncrief is hardly a slam dunk but he's an exciting dude. Seems like a guy Seattle would rate really high too. He also really likes Bryant which I get. I think Bryant is Stephen Hill 2.0, probably a guy that will take a $1 million check and be happy with that and never grow, but if someone can motivate him he could be a dominant #1 WR.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
kearly":1p32glqe said:
TeamoftheCentury":1p32glqe said:
Was anything mentioned of Bruce Ellington? Haven't heard others discuss Ellington. Am I the only one here at .net that is intrigued by this guy?

No you are not. I mentioned Ellington to Scotte in a PM just a few days ago. Ran across his stuff at random on a draft site, he's extremely "Seahawky" and has a lot of similarities to Golden Tate. Definitely keeping an eye on him, but the success of his cousin could help him get drafted before our 4th rounder.
Thanks for the response. Good to hear you guys have discussed. Wonder if his 5'9" height might be enough to keep him in the 4th round range (balancing out the potential success by association / cousin.) Or, maybe the Hawks trade down out of the 1st round.

Of course, Ellington is just one good prospect. Just was identifying him / getting his name into the mix. I know there's the talk of getting that taller receiver. But, doesn't seem like JS/PC are into forcing things like that. Just get players who can play and see how they fit. Misfits R Us.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":1mq4jmty said:
kearly":1mq4jmty said:
TeamoftheCentury":1mq4jmty said:

Thanks for the response. Good to hear you guys have discussed. Wonder if his 5'9" height might be enough to keep him in the 4th round range (balancing out the potential success by association / cousin.) Or, maybe the Hawks trade down out of the 1st round.

Of course, Ellington is just one good prospect. Just was identifying him / getting his name into the mix. I know there's the talk of getting that taller receiver. But, doesn't seem like JS/PC are into forcing things like that. Just get players who can play and see how they fit. Misfits R Us.

Once a player is 6'2" and under, he's not really a big receiver anymore. Jermaine Kearse is 6'2" but he's much more like 5'10" guys like Golden Tate or Doug Baldwin than he is to 6'4" Sidney Rice. If you are between 5'9" and 6'2", I would say weight is what you should really look at when determining size. Ellington is pretty bulky, he's not a guy who's small despite being short.