Greg Cosell on 2014 WRs

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
kearly":8rqezn0e said:
TeamoftheCentury":8rqezn0e said:
kearly":8rqezn0e said:
TeamoftheCentury":8rqezn0e said:
Was anything mentioned of Bruce Ellington? Haven't heard others discuss Ellington. Am I the only one here at .net that is intrigued by this guy?

No you are not. I mentioned Ellington to Scotte in a PM just a few days ago. Ran across his stuff at random on a draft site, he's extremely "Seahawky" and has a lot of similarities to Golden Tate. Definitely keeping an eye on him, but the success of his cousin could help him get drafted before our 4th rounder.
Thanks for the response. Good to hear you guys have discussed. Wonder if his 5'9" height might be enough to keep him in the 4th round range (balancing out the potential success by association / cousin.) Or, maybe the Hawks trade down out of the 1st round.

Of course, Ellington is just one good prospect. Just was identifying him / getting his name into the mix. I know there's the talk of getting that taller receiver. But, doesn't seem like JS/PC are into forcing things like that. Just get players who can play and see how they fit. Misfits R Us.

Once a player is 6'2" and under, he's not really a big receiver anymore. Jermaine Kearse is 6'2" but he's much more like 5'10" guys like Golden Tate or Doug Baldwin than he is to 6'4" Sidney Rice. If you are between 5'9" and 6'2", I would say weight is what you should really look at when determining size. Ellington is pretty bulky, he's not a guy who's small despite being short.

Kearse is 6'1".

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
kearly":2z74om0j said:
TeamoftheCentury":2z74om0j said:
kearly":2z74om0j said:
TeamoftheCentury":2z74om0j said:
Was anything mentioned of Bruce Ellington? Haven't heard others discuss Ellington. Am I the only one here at .net that is intrigued by this guy?

No you are not. I mentioned Ellington to Scotte in a PM just a few days ago. Ran across his stuff at random on a draft site, he's extremely "Seahawky" and has a lot of similarities to Golden Tate. Definitely keeping an eye on him, but the success of his cousin could help him get drafted before our 4th rounder.
Thanks for the response. Good to hear you guys have discussed. Wonder if his 5'9" height might be enough to keep him in the 4th round range (balancing out the potential success by association / cousin.) Or, maybe the Hawks trade down out of the 1st round.

Of course, Ellington is just one good prospect. Just was identifying him / getting his name into the mix. I know there's the talk of getting that taller receiver. But, doesn't seem like JS/PC are into forcing things like that. Just get players who can play and see how they fit. Misfits R Us.

Once a player is 6'2" and under, he's not really a big receiver anymore. Jermaine Kearse is 6'2" but he's much more like 5'10" guys like Golden Tate or Doug Baldwin than he is to 6'4" Sidney Rice. If you are between 5'9" and 6'2", I would say weight is what you should really look at when determining size. Ellington is pretty bulky, he's not a guy who's small despite being short.

Yeah, good points and I had both read and observed that as well. I guess sometimes the pre-draft talk is about trying to get a player drafted and minimize potential concerns. But, in this case... when it's said that Ellington plays bigger than he is, that's truly the case. He was a high school QB as well. I think he could contribute a variety of ways (not at QB... just that he's athletic and has been utilized out of the backfield at South Carolina.) The more a player can do...

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I finally listened to this today.

Fast forward to 28:30. Cosell is asked to name some of the players he's "missed" on. He then spends the next few minutes saying it's a great question, that he isn't an expert on guards and that there's always a reason (an excuse) for why he wasn't actually wrong. Tucker presses him, "Right... but any names come to mind?" (you know, to actually answer the question). He then answers by saying quarterbacks working in different schemes work out because they have great defenses.

Question. Dodged. He didn't offer ONE name despite being asked twice.

Earlier he and Tucker are discussing receivers. Tucker says some guys are just good at getting open. Cosell says he disagrees, and that guys have an innate ability to get open. Tucker points out that's what he was saying -- innate = natural ability. Cosell then says he means receivers can be coached so that getting open becomes innate. You can't beat those players who have natural ability coached into them...

Sorry, but it's the same every time with this guy. Empty words and a load of backslapping from the person talking to him.

Never has a reputation been so undeserved.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Have to agree.

Some people have trouble grasping the reality that we don't know everything. They get caught up in making absolute statements and labeling players. It's human nature to a point. As draftniks -- we all miss on guys every single year. But he doesn't show any ability to concede when he's missed on his evaluations. And instead simply makes excuses to justify why he was 'right' to begin with.

It's one thing to stick to your guns. It's another to contrive answers to demonstrate you are infallible. Cosell doesn't ever think he's wrong even when he so miserably is.

I find I have to really work hard to find the gems of insight from him because of this. He does raise good points frequently. But it's just such a chore to do so with him.