Greg Olsen Interview...

CelticWolf12

Reaction score
Man, this interview is scary. We better all hope Pete has learned from his failures and mistakes. From 6:35 of this interview forward, Greg Olsen (as an outsider) talked about how the Seahawk offensive talent wasn’t the problem. The problem was/is PETE & THE OFFENSIVE SCHEME!!!!

I don’t care who we draft or sign. If these schemes (offense & defense) don’t get modernized and fixed quick, this team is going to be in a world of hurt.

Go Hawks!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCJ7DAoKqmo

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Celtic Wolff":gmt2o8k4 said:
Man, this interview is scary. We better all hope Pete has learned from his failures and mistakes. From 6:35 of this interview forward, Greg Olsen (as an outsider) talked about how the Seahawk offensive talent wasn’t the problem. The problem was/is PETE & THE OFFENSIVE SCHEME!!!!

I don’t care who we draft or sign. If these schemes (offense & defense) don’t get modernized and fixed quick, this team is going to be in a world of hurt.

Go Hawks!!!

Not just the scheme, but the team culture as it related to the offense.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Interesting that only malcontents who amounted to nothing here come out and talk shit, isn't it?

You never hear any of the players who actually worked out here being salty in the media.

Greg Olsen stole 7 million from Seattle to drop passes and be slow. He was hated here until he went into media to start confirming people's priors.

Brandon Marshall, the other one, was a consistent headcase who lightly campaigned to come to Seattle multiple times and was denied until he was too washed up to do anything about it.

keasley45

Reaction score
It's understandable that Greg, with his limited experience on the team, could look at Pete streamlining the playbook when he saw the rails coming off due to Russ's shortcomings and see the issue ad being one of philosophy. To a degree, he's correct when you look at it in the context of the 2020 season. Pete shouldn't have had to mandate that we stop throwing long into the teeth of the defenses we were seeing. He shouldn't have had to substitute the run game for an ineffective short / middle passing game that SHOULD have been able to beat the looks we were getting.

The correct response SHOULD have been to switch thr playbook to quick hitting plays that forced defenses to play closer to LOS and defenses honest. But as tape that year and last year showed, running those plays are pointless if the ball doesn't get to where it's supposed to go.

But we couldn't do that ( although the plays were there to be had ). So yeah, absent the understanding of the elements of the game that Russel struggles with, and coming off a 6 games trench to start the season where as a new teammate, you're watching the guy set records left and right, when the wheels fall off and the game is called more conservatively for the remainder ofnthe season, I get thinking that the problem was more the coach than the player.

Remember that at the end of last year, DK felt exactly the same way and was pretty critical of Pete in interviews. Where has that criticism been this year? It's been there, but it hasn't been directed toward Pete. The dude even flat out said that the reason we were beating two high looks late in the season was because we needed to run to do it and did.

That right there shows you how much credence you should give Greg's perspective.

Russ made it a point to ally himself with DK his rookie season. DK bought it and believed himself that the problem was Pete, and that was after an entire season. I'm sure Greg's view of things was entirely skewed to Russ's perspective.

And if what's been said about how Pete made it a point to set a standard for how players on the team criticized his QB ( generally to handle him softly ) , I'm not surprised if honest and open critique of Russ was rare.

Mizak

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":3etfg2jz said:
Interesting that only malcontents who amounted to nothing here come out and talk $h!t, isn't it?

You never hear any of the players who actually worked out here being salty in the media.

Greg Olsen stole 7 million from Seattle to drop passes and be slow. He was hated here until he went into media to start confirming people's priors.

Brandon Marshall, the other one, was a consistent headcase who lightly campaigned to come to Seattle multiple times and was denied until he was too washed up to do anything about it.

I’d rather take their word over yours. Besides, you’re just a fan and those two guys played in the system and knew what was happening in the locker room. Maybe you should tell us what happens in the Seahawks locker room since apparently you know more than Gregg Olsen and Brandon Marshall.

keasley45

Reaction score
Mizak":1xad3ydi said:
Maelstrom787":1xad3ydi said:
Interesting that only malcontents who amounted to nothing here come out and talk $h!t, isn't it?

I’d rather take their word over yours. Besides, you’re just a fan and those two guys played in the system and knew what was happening in the locker room. Maybe you should tell us what happens in the Seahawks locker room since apparently you know more than Gregg Olsen and Brandon Marshall.

DK was preaching the same opinion at the end of 2020 too and was one of Russ's biggest allies... until he saw enough evidence this last season to understand WHY the approach was dialed back to throw less and run more.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Mizak":13hnaxrr said:
Maelstrom787":13hnaxrr said:

What a whiny ass response.

I'm not asking you to listen to me, nor do I care if you do.

I'm not even making any proclamations about the veracity of what Olsen is saying, so your post makes almost zero sense to begin with, as if you did not bother to read it (unsurprising).

ivotuk

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":kv8jsd2r said:
Mizak":kv8jsd2r said:
Maelstrom787":kv8jsd2r said:

What a whiny ass response.

I'm not asking you to listen to me, nor do I care if you do.

I'm not even making any proclamations about the veracity of what Olsen is saying, so your post makes almost zero sense to begin with, as if you did not bother to read it (unsurprising).

Just because they were NFL players doesn't mean jack. Aaron Curry played for the Seahawks for a couple of years. Not taking anything he says about his horrible stay here seriously at all.

As a Coach and a teacher, I'd listen to him all day long. But if he were to start complaining about coaching during his tenure, my eyes would quickly glaze over.

Jville

Reaction score
Greg Olsen was a temp for only one injury plagued year ........ 2020. Where as, a new scheme was introduced the year after Olsen's departure by new coaching personnel that also had to compensate for injury driven disruptions in 2021. With so many openings, I would think we will see indications of the direction they are headed in over the next couple months.

In any case, Olsen is so yesterday. Where as the Seahawks are clearing the decks and moving on to a new era and working on putting that new era team together for 2022.

This is going to be a most interesting off season! :2thumbs:

Anajimmc

Reaction score
Did he ever single out Pete? Could this be one of the reasons why Pete made changes to the coaching staff on the Offensive side of the ball after the 2020 season?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":3esyqjyc said:
You never hear any of the players who actually worked out here being salty in the media..

You mean like Doug, Sherm, Mikey B, Earl, Golden, Jimmy.....................

It is irritating hearing a guy like Olsen who pretty much just stole 8M from the Hawks be negative towards his time here, but he's right.

Most of us have been asking the same questions he literally just verified were going on with Pete and how he ran his pedestrian offense.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Celtic Wolff":1feyxwas said:

Go Hawks!!!

Some of us have been saying what GO said for years.

keasley45

Reaction score
If Greg had stuck around a bit longet like Dk had and let the luster and myth of the Unlimited One wear off, he'd have changed his perepsective... just like DK did.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3jdl5wvl said:
Maelstrom787":3jdl5wvl said:
You never hear any of the players who actually worked out here being salty in the media..

It is irritating hearing a guy like Olsen who pretty much just stole 8M from the Hawks be negative towards his time here, but he's right.

Most of us have been asking the same questions he literally just verified were going on with Pete and how he ran his pedestrian offense.

Almost made a post very similar to this and then decided to just let it fly. But very much this.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
This is a weird argument.

It is completely clear that we have simplistic gameplans.

Certainly on offense. And Pete all but admitted it on defense.

So the question is why?

One side says this is Pete forcing dumb, simplistic, easy to predict gameplans on his HOF QB.

One says Pete was forced to do so, because his QB played best that way, or could only play that way.

Until Russ ends up in Denver running the exact same things because that is all he can do - we really won't know.

Now if we see Russ executing a new offense, using more of the field, and doing a good job of it?
Then it will clearly have all been Pete.

We DO know that Pete did this on Defense. He admitted to it. So it wouldn't be a far stretch for him to do the same thing on offense. It might even be more likely, given his predilection is for the defense.

Regardless, we ran a simple, easy to gameplan against offense. And we know that Olsen was mocking it, or at least laughing at it. We don't know why yet.

But if it is on Pete, then we will know we screwed up getting rid of our QB instead of our coach.

hoxrox

Reaction score
In 2020 after the LRC campaign became an abject failure, when Russ became a turnover machine, I'd treat that offense like a JV squad as well.

But the "antiquated scheme" some fans and former players complain about! Shotty couldn't solve for two-high safety! Except that the film showed players open underneath and over the middle... consistently. So no it wasn't the antiquated scheme... it was failure in execution and the lack of a strong running game (after Carson went down).

Fast forward to 2021 when Penny is running roughshod over teams. The offense suddenly looks amazing! Third downs are being converted! The defense isn't on the field all day! And it is sustainable too! (barring injuries of course)

Yeah I'll take that offense every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Over the boom or bust LRC offense that will feast on weak defenses, put up amazing fantasy stats, but will get smacked in the mouth come playoff time.

massari

Reaction score
Lol Nobody gets Carroll fanboys in shambles quite like Greg Olsen. Let the Greg Olsen slander commence.

Thanks for sharing the vid, TS.

keasley45

Reaction score
hoxrox":2ybn8u3f said:
In 2020 after the LRC campaign became an abject failure, when Russ became a turnover machine, I'd treat that offense like a JV squad as well.

But the "antiquated scheme" some fans and former players complain about! Shotty couldn't solve for two-high safety! Except that the film showed players open underneath and over the middle... consistently. So no it wasn't the antiquated scheme... it was failure in execution and the lack of a strong running game (after Carson went down).

Fast forward to 2021 when Penny is running roughshod over teams. The offense suddenly looks amazing! Third downs are being converted! The defense isn't on the field all day! And it is sustainable too! (barring injuries of course)

Yeah I'll take that offense every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Over the boom or bust LRC offense that will feast on weak defenses, put up amazing fantasy stats, but will get smacked in the mouth come playoff time.

This.

Crazy thing is often trying to make a case for Russ necessitates referencing conspiracy theories about meddling, or interviews from players who were here for a relative shirt period.

Yet you can pull up hours of tape of the 'antiquated' offense many refer to and see plays that should have been made but weren't for no reason other than the qb didn't see them, chose no to make them, or couldnt. But that factual evidence is brushed aside in favor of ANYTHING that says that he was basically THE ONLY reason the team was successful.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3bq4zkjv said:
Maelstrom787":3bq4zkjv said:

Sherm continues to defend Pete to this day, Golden wanted more money than he was offered, Earl is valid, Doug hated Russ more than the coaches, and Bennett is semi-valid. None are making media careers of it quite like Olsen. Only ones trying to parlay it into engagement are the ones who were abject failures here.

camdawg

Reaction score
hoxrox":10804082 said:

It's interesting that Russ during his 40 TD to 13 INT 2020 season is/was perceived to be a turnover machine.

How about Patrick Mahomes, who threw 37 TDs to 13 INTs this past season? Was he a turnover machine? Or Josh Allen who threw 15 INTs last season with only 36 TDs?

Just seems like Russ detractors are looking for a level of perfection from him they don't expect from other quarterbacks they'd rank above him.

Penny ran over three bad teams and an injured shell of an Arizona team. I'd love to have a great running team. That's been the true weakness of the offense from 2016 onward, not Russ. Since the brief run that Thomas Rawls had in 2015, we haven't been able to depend on us running down the other team's throat, especially on 3rd/4th and short when we HAVE to run. The only exception has been when we put George Fant out of position as a third tackle at tight end in 2018. We need MAJOR upgrades on the offensive line in order to regain our old physicality. Then any QB can benefit from being able to get the 3rd/4th and short conversions we used to get all the time 7 to 10 years ago.