Greg Olsen Interview...

Smellyman

Reaction score
camdawg":36gllktg said:
hoxrox":36gllktg said:
In 2020 after the LRC campaign became an abject failure, when Russ became a turnover machine, I'd treat that offense like a JV squad as well.

But the "antiquated scheme" some fans and former players complain about! Shotty couldn't solve for two-high safety! Except that the film showed players open underneath and over the middle... consistently. So no it wasn't the antiquated scheme... it was failure in execution and the lack of a strong running game (after Carson went down).

Fast forward to 2021 when Penny is running roughshod over teams. The offense suddenly looks amazing! Third downs are being converted! The defense isn't on the field all day! And it is sustainable too! (barring injuries of course)

Yeah I'll take that offense every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Over the boom or bust LRC offense that will feast on weak defenses, put up amazing fantasy stats, but will get smacked in the mouth come playoff time.

It's interesting that Russ during his 40 TD to 13 INT 2020 season is/was perceived to be a turnover machine.

How about Patrick Mahomes, who threw 37 TDs to 13 INTs this past season? Was he a turnover machine? Or Josh Allen who threw 15 INTs last season with only 36 TDs?

Just seems like Russ detractors are looking for a level of perfection from him they don't expect from other quarterbacks they'd rank above him.

Penny ran over three bad teams and an injured shell of an Arizona team. I'd love to have a great running team. That's been the true weakness of the offense from 2016 onward, not Russ. Since the brief run that Thomas Rawls had in 2015, we haven't been able to depend on us running down the other team's throat, especially on 3rd/4th and short when we HAVE to run. The only exception has been when we put George Fant out of position as a third tackle at tight end in 2018. We need MAJOR upgrades on the offensive line in order to regain our old physicality. Then any QB can benefit from being able to get the 3rd/4th and short conversions we used to get all the time 7 to 10 years ago.

Yes, there was a TON of what is wrong with Patrick Mahomes talk first half of the season

AgentDib

Reaction score
If you were to take all of the ex-Hawks and rank them by how much you valued their opinion on our current scheme, Greg Olsen would be somewhere near the bottom, right? He started 8 injury plagued games for us under a previous OC before retiring.

I don't even think he's a particularly good source on Schotty's scheme as he only had 37 targets and didn't do much with them. I'm not surprised that he's salty about that, but for 7m I would think Hawks fans would have the more valid complaints about his performance.

massari

Reaction score
hoxrox":2bujnp93 said:
Fast forward to 2021 when Penny is running roughshod over teams. The offense suddenly looks amazing! Third downs are being converted! The defense isn't on the field all day! And it is sustainable too! (barring injuries of course).
Penny looked amazing against a bunch of bottom feeders with bad run defenses, and a struggling Cardinals team. Not so much when he faced the Rams.

massari

Reaction score
Smellyman":r2c236x2 said:
camdawg":r2c236x2 said:
It's interesting that Russ during his 40 TD to 13 INT 2020 season is/was perceived to be a turnover machine.

How about Patrick Mahomes, who threw 37 TDs to 13 INTs this past season? Was he a turnover machine? Or Josh Allen who threw 15 INTs last season with only 36 TDs?

Just seems like Russ detractors are looking for a level of perfection from him they don't expect from other quarterbacks they'd rank above him.

Penny ran over three bad teams and an injured shell of an Arizona team. I'd love to have a great running team. That's been the true weakness of the offense from 2016 onward, not Russ. Since the brief run that Thomas Rawls had in 2015, we haven't been able to depend on us running down the other team's throat, especially on 3rd/4th and short when we HAVE to run. The only exception has been when we put George Fant out of position as a third tackle at tight end in 2018. We need MAJOR upgrades on the offensive line in order to regain our old physicality. Then any QB can benefit from being able to get the 3rd/4th and short conversions we used to get all the time 7 to 10 years ago.

Yes, there was a TON of what is wrong with Patrick Mahomes talk first half of the season
Mahomes was a "turnover machine" last season but had Andy Reid and one of the best OL to figure out ways to exploit cover 2. Wilson had neither

[tweet]https://twitter.com/joeyanalytics/status/1453580135722938373[/tweet]

Aaron Rodgers had Lafleur and one of the top OL to figure out ways to exploit cover 2. Wilson had neither.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/list ... p-packers/

But then again:
Fhjgfjghjfgjhfgjh

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
massari":2qpdxw56 said:
hoxrox":2qpdxw56 said:
Fast forward to 2021 when Penny is running roughshod over teams. The offense suddenly looks amazing! Third downs are being converted! The defense isn't on the field all day! And it is sustainable too! (barring injuries of course).
Penny looked amazing against a bunch of bottom feeders with bad run defenses, and a struggling Cardinals team. Not so much when he faced the Rams.

Statistically one of the best all-time six game stretches a running back has ever had, and still, some people are determined to find a way to shit on it.

The mental gymnastics required to be this miserable are astounding.

massari

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":338k26us said:
Statistically one of the best all-time six game stretches a running back has ever had, and still, some people are determined to find a way to $h!t on it.

The mental gymnastics required to be this miserable are astounding.
Wilson had statistically one of the best stretches for a QB in 2020, which many in this very thread discredit in similar fashion to this day.

Penny was amazing, just pointing out hypocrisy

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I think Russell Wilson's time in Denver will tell a lot about some of the drama that was here in Seattle over the years. I'm curious what he will look like under Nathaniel Hackett.

As far as this interview goes, I don't know why everyone wants to discount what Greg Olsen says. The guy was on the team, he had a front row seat to everything that was happening. He was an insider in the organization. Greg Olsen was no chump either. In all likelihood he's probably going to become a HOF tight end. He's played on three teams in many different offensive schemes over his long career in the NFL. He was bad here, but that doesn't take away the experience he's had in the NFL. To discount all of this would be foolishness. He knows what he is talking about.

keasley45

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2muzts09 said:
I think Russell Wilson's time in Denver will tell a lot about some of the drama that was here in Seattle over the years. I'm curious what he will look like under Nathaniel Hackett.

As far as this interview goes, I don't know why everyone wants to discount what Greg Olsen says. The guy was on the team, he had a front row seat to everything that was happening. He was an insider in the organization. Greg Olsen was no chump either. In all likelihood he's probably going to become a HOF tight end. He's played on three teams in many different offensive schemes over his long career in the NFL. He was bad here, but that doesn't take away the experience he's had in the NFL. To discount all of this would be foolishness. He knows what he is talking about.

It's not discounting it. But when DK had the same opinion and flipped one year to the next to crediting the 'simplified, run based offense' for unlocking the defense, it gives some context.

DK thought he saw what Gregg saw and called it being conservative as well. Then he spent another year in the system and running around with his mates, wide open on the field and saw otherwise.

I mean, why is everybody pointing to the Olson Interview. Wouldn't DK's criticism to close out 2020 be even more valid since he was Russ's top WR? Oh wait. We don't want to talk about that because 8 months later he saw the truth.

SMH

toffee

Reaction score
massari":3h41nit4 said:
Smellyman":3h41nit4 said:
camdawg":3h41nit4 said:

Mahomes was a "turnover machine" last season but had Andy Reid and one of the best OL to figure out ways to exploit cover 2. Wilson had neither

[tweet]https://twitter.com/joeyanalytics/status/1453580135722938373[/tweet]

Aaron Rodgers had Lafleur and one of the top OL to figure out ways to exploit cover 2. Wilson had neither.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/list ... p-packers/

But then again:
Fhjgfjghjfgjhfgjh
Rodgers had less pocket time than Wilson, so much for that argument. Our OL did provide our QB with time in the pocket, more time in fact more time than Steelers, Tampa Bay, and Packers gave their QB. No less than time KC have Mahome.

Our OL suffered lousy reputation because our QB suffered most QB pressure despite having more pocket time. Ok now you do the logical deduction.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

hawker84

Reaction score
I believe every word he said. I have no doubt Pete Carroll and his predictable philosophies are stale and outdated. If I was RW I would have walked too. Pete Carroll is the cancer to this organization. Buckle up boys, gonna be a rough ride

JustTheTip

Reaction score
hawker84":28ucw7p1 said:
I believe every word he said. I have no doubt Pete Carroll and his predictable philosophies are stale and outdated. If I was RW I would have walked too. Pete Carroll is the cancer to this organization. Buckle up boys, gonna be a rough ride

I am starting to think Pete is like John Travolta's brain tumor in Phenomenon. Made amazing things happen at first, but the whole time he was actually killing us.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
keasley45":3qvb4bip said:
It's understandable that Greg, with his limited experience on the team, could look at Pete streamlining the playbook when he saw the rails coming off due to Russ's shortcomings and see the issue ad being one of philosophy. To a degree, he's correct when you look at it in the context of the 2020 season. Pete shouldn't have had to mandate that we stop throwing long into the teeth of the defenses we were seeing. He shouldn't have had to substitute the run game for an ineffective short / middle passing game that SHOULD have been able to beat the looks we were getting.

The correct response SHOULD have been to switch thr playbook to quick hitting plays that forced defenses to play closer to LOS and defenses honest. But as tape that year and last year showed, running those plays are pointless if the ball doesn't get to where it's supposed to go.

But we couldn't do that ( although the plays were there to be had ). So yeah, absent the understanding of the elements of the game that Russel struggles with, and coming off a 6 games trench to start the season where as a new teammate, you're watching the guy set records left and right, when the wheels fall off and the game is called more conservatively for the remainder ofnthe season, I get thinking that the problem was more the coach than the player.

Remember that at the end of last year, DK felt exactly the same way and was pretty critical of Pete in interviews. Where has that criticism been this year? It's been there, but it hasn't been directed toward Pete. The dude even flat out said that the reason we were beating two high looks late in the season was because we needed to run to do it and did.

That right there shows you how much credence you should give Greg's perspective.

Russ made it a point to ally himself with DK his rookie season. DK bought it and believed himself that the problem was Pete, and that was after an entire season. I'm sure Greg's view of things was entirely skewed to Russ's perspective.

And if what's been said about how Pete made it a point to set a standard for how players on the team criticized his QB ( generally to handle him softly ) , I'm not surprised if honest and open critique of Russ was rare.

This is amazing.

A respected veteran who has played on multiple teams…in multiple offenses suddenly doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Because everything he’s saying counters your deep rooted biases towards Russ. This is shameful.

Meanwhile, if he criticized Russ, you all would embrace everything he’s saying. You’re the first ones to embrace any comments made by former Seahawks players too.

But Olsen and DK? They must have been manipulated or just confused. Seriously, are you genuinely not ashamed at how biased you are on this?

If you had any desire to treat everyone fairly, you would take Olsen’s comments and factor it in fairly in your evaluation. Some of you really are Pete loyalists to a fault. Completely incapable of an objective discussion. Thanks for proving that.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
keasley45":19wnl351 said:
Spin Doctor":19wnl351 said:

It's not discounting it. But when DK had the same opinion and flipped one year to the next to crediting the 'simplified, run based offense' for unlocking the defense, it gives some context.

DK thought he saw what Gregg saw and called it being conservative as well. Then he spent another year in the system and running around with his mates, wide open on the field and saw otherwise.

I mean, why is everybody pointing to the Olson Interview. Wouldn't DK's criticism to close out 2020 be even more valid since he was Russ's top WR? Oh wait. We don't want to talk about that because 8 months later he saw the truth.

SMH

DK literally went on an interview 2-3 weeks ago with Bleacher Report and blamed it on a new offense, but mainly injuries. That doesn’t discount what he said the year before. That’s what you would like to think. It’s amazing how much you’re assuming instead of just taking what the players said.

Maelstrom787":19wnl351 said:
Interesting that only malcontents who amounted to nothing here come out and talk $h!t, isn't it?

You never hear any of the players who actually worked out here being salty in the media.

Greg Olsen stole 7 million from Seattle to drop passes and be slow. He was hated here until he went into media to start confirming people's priors.

Brandon Marshall, the other one, was a consistent headcase who lightly campaigned to come to Seattle multiple times and was denied until he was too washed up to do anything about it.

Lol

It is amazing to see how much focus is on the messenger, and not the message. Even if that messenger is a highly respected and intelligent messenger who had a front row seat to what was going on.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Greg Olsen has ZERO currency with me as a diehard of this team since inception.

ZERO.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Scorpion05":3p3othnz said:
keasley45":3p3othnz said:
Spin Doctor":3p3othnz said:

SMH

DK literally went on an interview 2-3 weeks ago with Bleacher Report and blamed it on a new offense, but mainly injuries. That doesn’t discount what he said the year before. That’s what you would like to think. It’s amazing how much you’re assuming instead of just taking what the players said.

Maelstrom787":3p3othnz said:
Interesting that only malcontents who amounted to nothing here come out and talk $h!t, isn't it?

You never hear any of the players who actually worked out here being salty in the media.

Greg Olsen stole 7 million from Seattle to drop passes and be slow. He was hated here until he went into media to start confirming people's priors.

Brandon Marshall, the other one, was a consistent headcase who lightly campaigned to come to Seattle multiple times and was denied until he was too washed up to do anything about it.

Lol

It is amazing to see how much focus is on the messenger, and not the message. Even if that messenger is a highly respected and intelligent messenger who had a front row seat to what was going on.

I'm just pointing out a pattern. Greg Olsen has an incentive to make such statements - they harness the power of a frustrated fanbase looking to confirm their viewpoints. It just seems to me that only players who ended up being big disappointments in Seattle end up taking up the mantle of disparaging the coaching staff, whereas franchise legends like Richard Sherman claim that firing Pete would be a bad idea and get roasted for it.

The fans will listen to anyone saying what they want to hear, at this point. Same thing happens from time to time with noted blowhard Colin Cowherd.

Greg may have a point, but even if he did, the offensive staff got reworked the year after and the quarterback who limited the types of viable schemes (although he was very good) is gone. Plus (and I know I'm repeating the same sentiment here) he sucked unwashed swamp ass here, so I don't care what he has to say regardless. He's got a reason to be pissed - he ended his career being bad here and regrets not going to Buffalo instead.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Aros":1lb1re6o said:
Greg Olsen has ZERO currency with me as a diehard of this team since inception.

ZERO.
Same here.

Schotty and Russell and Let Russ Cook was easy money for the first 6 games, IIRC, and the Hawks were 6-0 and Russ was the MVP favorite. Then we ran into the AZ Cardinals in that weird overtime game and never made it to 7-0, I think it was AZ DC Vance Joseph who figured out that Russell struggled mightily against 2-High looks, simply couldn't read them and know where to go with the ball. The Jeff Fisher Rams had known that for years. Well, every team after watched that film and Russell faced 2-high a lot after that, including the Buffalo game where Wilson had four turnovers.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... alo-bills/
"But this was the second time in three games Wilson has had an uncharacteristic day, the other coming in an all-too-characteristic day for the Seattle defense in a 37-34 overtime loss to Arizona on Oct. 25, when Wilson threw a season-high three interceptions. Wilson has five interceptions and seven turnovers in two defeats this season."
"Wilson also lost two fumbles on pass attempts as the Bills got increasingly aggressive with their blitzes no longer fearing the Seahawks — already without Chris Carson — could really rely much on their running game."

So there you have it--no running game, and facing 2-High looks, Russell Wilson playing hero-ball turns into a turnover machine. Schotty didn't seem to be figuring things out, so Pete had to take the reins, impose his will, you could say and demote Russ from head cook to glorified burger-flipper.

Schotty was gone at the end of the season with "philosophical differences" being cited.

With Waldron this year, and the emergence of the run game with Penny, we saw what actual offensive game planning looked like. As a representative sample, Waldron ran Penny against the Bears to get them out of the 2-High looks. It was successful, and the Hawks were all set to make it a 2-score game with only a couple minutes left in the game. Then Russell decided to ignore situational football and play brain-dead hero ball and take a 15 yard sack, leading to a barely-missed field goal. Chicago drove down against our helpless D, scored a TD, and went for 2 and took a 1 point win. Blame the D, sure, blame the kicker, sure, but if Russell just plays smart football, the Hawks win. No hero ball needed. It didn't need to be about Russ.

Russell has both QB Superpowers as well as limitations. Let's not deify him. Sadly, the game-losing pick in SB49 is the truth about Russell vs. good playoff Defenses, as is his 4 picks against Green Bay in the NFC Championship game. The truth about Russell is also 4th-and7 to Kearse in 2013 NFCCG and the walkoff TD to Kearse in 2014 NFCCG. Boom or bust, that's Russell. Peak Marshawn and the read-option made Russell's life a lot easier. The LOB in their elite days made it so Russell had more breathing room.

Defenses have largely "figured out" Russell. He needs a running game that gets the other team out of the 2-High looks that he can't read. When he has it, he looks great. When he doesn't, it's ugly with lots of 3 and out series.

Greg Olsen wasn't really around long enough to make sense of the dynamics of the Seattle offense, didn't see the field much (injuries) and his time was under an OC who was fired at the end of the season. He's an expert on 1/8 of the pie, his piece that he saw in his role as TE.

Pete did his best to fix the problems Greg Olsen was sensing. Russell against 2-High coverages generally doesn't work out well.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
olyfan63":1y6hpaj8 said:
Well, every team after watched that film and Russell faced 2-high a lot after that, including the Buffalo game where Wilson had four turnovers.

Wow, the denial is strong here. An example, using the Buffalo game as some sort of example?

Laughable.

We all watched that game. Seahawks defenders 10-15 yards off the receivers as Josh Allen threw the ball on close to 100% of the plays.

Go watch Pete's post-game interview. He was perplexed why they didn't run the ball. Maybe the next play, we'll stop the run. Nope another one in the air.

I've never seen such a confused coach ever, not understanding this offense facing him and failing spectacularly play after play to adjust.

Dude, it's Pete.