Harbaugh told Jed York that meeting was for 'men only

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
hawknation2015":85fm0qnr said:
Poor little boy owner, his ego was bruised.

I maintain that money was the biggest issue. A cheapskate like Jed, who got a city to cover 100% of the expenses and risk on a new stadium, could not tolerate Harbaugh cutting into his profit margin by paying him like the Top 5 coach he was.
Harbaugh wanted to be paid like the SB-winning coach he wasn't.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Popeyejones":cfxkmg2p said:
hawknation2015":cfxkmg2p said:
And (2) it doesn't even match the $300 million figure that Popeye pulled out of who knows where to insinuate that Jed paid a nickel of his own money for this stadium or that he used more of his own money than Paul Allen did, LOL.

As I told you higher in the thread I'm more than happy to explain the figure to you, so long as you clarify that rather than just merely changing the goal posts, you're only now focusing on this one figure because we're in agreement about the rest of my post.

Here's my post again, which although continuing to talk about me, you've ignored:

Popeyejones":cfxkmg2p said:
Happy to.

Before digging into that single number, let's make sure we agree on all of the other figures I cited.

You agree that Seattle taxpayers contributed 466% higher of a percent of the cost of the stadium than Santa Clara taxpayers, and that the 49ers pay 2400% higher annual rental fees to Santa Clara than the Seahawks do to Seattle?

Let's establish that baseline about who has gotten "a city to cover" what (as you said in your quote that I objected to).

We're on the same page that you're wrong about that?

If so, we can proceed with how someone with a billion dollars makes a several hundred million dollar investment versus how someone with 17.5 billion dollars makes a 130 million dollar investment. ;)

Why should I "agree" to any of this when you still haven't provided a single link in support -- and the information Marvin provided from Wikipedia appears to contradict your info?

Talk about a bogus assumption and putting the cart before the horse.

lsheldon

Reaction score
Popeyejones":353ass1v said:
hawknation2015":353ass1v said:
I maintain that money was the biggest issue. A cheapskate like Jed, who got a city to cover 100% of the expenses and risk on a new stadium

Just making stuff up as you go, huh?

I know I'm the one who criticized the public funds and (in particular) public loan risk for Levi's stadium (and I stand by that), but what you're saying just doesn't have a lick of truth to it.

For Comparison's Sake:

Paul Allen Networth: 17.5 Billion
Seahawks' contribution to the building of CLink: 130 Million
% of Stadium Cost Publicly Funded: 65%
Annual rent Allen pays to Seattle: 1 million.

York Family networth: 1 billion
49ers contribution to the building of Levi's: 350 million
% of Stadium Cost Publicly Funded: 12%
Annual rent the Yorks pay to Santa Clara: 25 million.

As for the topic of the thread, I seriously doubt this story has a lick of truth to it, but if it was true LOL at it being spun to reflect poorly on Jeb York and not instead being a clear-cut arrow in his quiver as yet another example of why Harbaugh has a three year shelf life eveywhere he goes.

Your numbers aren't adding up. The entire cost for Levi's Stadium was about 1.3 Billion dollars, with the Santa Clara Stadium Authority borrowing 850 Million to cover the majority of the construction costs. Since when is 850 Million of 1.3 Billion equal 12%? In contrast, the entire cost of building the Clink was only 430 Million.

By comparison, the citizens of Washington State paid far less to build our stadium than the citizens of California did to build yours.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Harbaugh's got his number.

Totally out of his depth. Leadership from the top is vital. And San Fran will always be hampered with this guy pulling the strings.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2015":9oqt5vwa said:
Popeyejones":9oqt5vwa said:
hawknation2015":9oqt5vwa said:
And (2) it doesn't even match the $300 million figure that Popeye pulled out of who knows where to insinuate that Jed paid a nickel of his own money for this stadium or that he used more of his own money than Paul Allen did, LOL.

As I told you higher in the thread I'm more than happy to explain the figure to you, so long as you clarify that rather than just merely changing the goal posts, you're only now focusing on this one figure because we're in agreement about the rest of my post.

Here's my post again, which although continuing to talk about me, you've ignored:

Popeyejones":9oqt5vwa said:
Happy to.

Before digging into that single number, let's make sure we agree on all of the other figures I cited.

You agree that Seattle taxpayers contributed 466% higher of a percent of the cost of the stadium than Santa Clara taxpayers, and that the 49ers pay 2400% higher annual rental fees to Santa Clara than the Seahawks do to Seattle?

Let's establish that baseline about who has gotten "a city to cover" what (as you said in your quote that I objected to).

If so, we can proceed with how someone with a billion dollars makes a several hundred million dollar investment versus how someone with 17.5 billion dollars makes a 130 million dollar investment. ;)

Why should I "agree" to any of this when you still haven't provided a single link in support -- and the information Marvin provided from Wikipedia appears to contradict your info?

He's trying to set a set of things you can agree on before you proceed because as I myself have seen on numerous occasions...when argue one point, the response is to move the goalpost so the conversation never resolves.

Marvin49

Reaction score
lsheldon":14e9lhec said:
Popeyejones":14e9lhec said:
hawknation2015":14e9lhec said:
I maintain that money was the biggest issue. A cheapskate like Jed, who got a city to cover 100% of the expenses and risk on a new stadium

I know I'm the one who criticized the public funds and (in particular) public loan risk for Levi's stadium (and I stand by that), but what you're saying just doesn't have a lick of truth to it.

For Comparison's Sake:

As for the topic of the thread, I seriously doubt this story has a lick of truth to it, but if it was true LOL at it being spun to reflect poorly on Jeb York and not instead being a clear-cut arrow in his quiver as yet another example of why Harbaugh has a three year shelf life eveywhere he goes.

Your numbers aren't adding up. The entire cost for Levi's Stadium was about 1.3 Billion dollars, with the Santa Clara Stadium Authority borrowing 850 Million to cover the majority of the construction costs. Since when is 850 Million of 1.3 Billion equal 12%? In contrast, the entire cost of building the Clink was only 430 Million.

By comparison, the citizens of Washington State paid far less to build our stadium than the citizens of California did to build yours.

Um...what?

1) The Wiki thing was ONLY the League Loan fund.

2) The Stadium Authority is made up of board members of the City, but it is a private entity setup as a legal shield to protect the city from liability. You are referring to an 850 million dollar LOAN that will be paid off with SBL sales (already sold out), Stadium Partner contracts (SAP, Brocade, Sony, etc) and Stadium Naming rights (Levi's). NONE of that is public money. Zero. Zip. Nada. The Taxpayers are NOT on the hook for that.

3) As for the $$$ to build a stadium in Washington in 2000 (when construction began) compared to building one in the Bay Area just a few years ago...um...duh? More expensive to do ANYTHING here. Average 2 bedroom apartment in SF rents for over $4300. https://www.rentjungle.com/average-rent ... ent-trends

Median home price in San Jose (which neighbors Santa Clara) is 769K. http://www.zillow.com/san-jose-ca/home-values/

In Santa Clara it's 890K. http://www.zillow.com/santa-clara-ca/home-values/

That's the MEDIAN. Not mansions. Not 5 bedroom homes on a golf course.

In SF its 1,045,500.

By way of comparison, RIGHT NOW its 490K in Seattle. That's not the burbs either.

4) The ONLY public money that was devoted to the stadium was the $130 Million that came fro the redevelopment fund.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Marvin49":yurn2xbv said:
hawknation2015":yurn2xbv said:
Popeyejones":yurn2xbv said:
hawknation2015":yurn2xbv said:

Popeyejones":yurn2xbv said:
Happy to.

He's trying to set a set of things you can agree on before you proceed because as I myself have seen on numerous occasions...when argue one point, the response is to move the goalpost so the conversation never resolves.

It's common courtesy to provide a link to facts that one is citing. How am I supposed to agree to these supposed facts when he hasn't provided a single link -- or citation of any kind -- in support of them? Where is he getting his numbers? If he wants me to agree to his fuzzy math, then he should provide the damn link. It's that simple.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2015":22lwycf2 said:
It's common courtesy to provide a link to facts that one is citing. How am I supposed to agree to these supposed facts when he hasn't provided a single link -- or citation of any kind -- in support of them? Where is he getting his numbers? If he wants me to agree to his fuzzy math, then he should provide the damn link. It's that simple.

Dude..all he's doing is getting you to agree to the other parameters before I gets into the rest.

...and to Jville....

200 s

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Marvin49":2m6ab48n said:
hawknation2015":2m6ab48n said:

Dude..all he's doing is getting you to agree to the other parameters before I gets into the rest.

...and to Jville....

200 s

Why would I agree to those numbers BEFORE he has provided a link? Without a link, I have no idea if those numbers are correct. It's absurd.

Popeyejones":2m6ab48n said:
Happy to.

If so, we can proceed with how someone with a billion dollars makes a several hundred million dollar investment versus how someone with 17.5 billion dollars makes a 130 million dollar investment.;)

Jville

Reaction score
This tread has become so side tracked.

The OP topic is not about posters taking on the roles of dueling attorneys arguing over framing the discussion.

It's not about posters taking on the roles of dueling bean counters.

It's not about dueling editors ..... It's not about dueling spokespersons ......... And, it's not about dueling spin.

What this thread is about is ..... Jim Harbaugh telling Jed York that a meeting was for 'men only'.

It is the equivalent of a real world episode along the lines of the classic Punch & Judy Show. Presumably staring Jim Harbaugh as Punch and Jed York as Judy.

It's really that simple.

rideaducati

Reaction score
lsheldon":3d5arqj8 said:
Popeyejones":3d5arqj8 said:
hawknation2015":3d5arqj8 said:

For Comparison's Sake:

The Stadium Authority is a public entity created by Santa Clara City Council that gets its money from the taxing of the tickets, parking, hotels and restaurants near the stadium. How is that not considered public funding?

The Stadium Authority has to pay almost $15 million PER YEAR in interest payments alone for the next twenty-five years.

Jeb's "contribution" to the stadium is made in payments as part of the 40 year lease. The NFL also threw in a bunch of money, so Paul Allen probably paid more into that stadium than Jeb has so far.

Jville

Reaction score
Sometime visual aids jump start the memory.
2Fwp content2Fuploads2F20112F122Fpunch e judy
Presumably Staring Jim Harbaugh as Punch
And Jed York as Judy
And the 49er football team as the baby.
OP story link >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/report-jim-harbaugh-told-ceo-jed-york-that-meeting-was-for-men-only-060815[/urltargetblank]

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Jville":2545imsv said:

The OP topic is not about posters taking on the roles of dueling attorneys arguing over framing the discussion.

It's not about dueling editors ..... It's not about dueling spokespersons ......... And, it's not about dueling spin.

What this thread is about is ..... Jim Harbaugh telling Jed York that a meeting was for 'men only'.

It is the equivalent of a real world episode along the lines of the classic Punch & Judy Show. Presumably staring Jim Harbaugh as Punch and Jed York as Judy.

It's really that simple.

This is an all too common tactic by Marvin/Popeye . . . derail the real story with a straw man argument.

jed-york-jim-harbaugh-san-francisco-49ers-coaching-search.jpg

Mens bathroom ada sign blue 6 x 9 3

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":o6e253cf said:
lsheldon":o6e253cf said:
Popeyejones":o6e253cf said:
hawknation2015":o6e253cf said:

For Comparison's Sake:

The Stadium Authority is a public entity created by Santa Clara City Council that gets its money from the taxing of the tickets, parking, hotels and restaurants near the stadium. How is that not considered public funding?

The Stadium Authority has to pay almost $15 million PER YEAR in interest payments alone for the next twenty-five years.

Jeb's "contribution" to the stadium is made in payments as part of the 40 year lease. The NFL also threw in a bunch of money, so Paul Allen probably paid more into that stadium than Jeb has so far.

Seriously? You're joking, right? I think I'm done on this topic as now I have to explain the difference between public and private funding. Really don't have the inclination.

The NFL money "thrown in" is the NFL Loan program that is paid back to the NFL. Its a loan to the team from the league, not free money.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
This story confirms two things Seahawks fans already knew:

(1) Although he is one hell of a coach, Jim Harbaugh can be a tactless douche.

(2) Little Jed York is not a man.

:snack:

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2015":10shbs6y said:
Jville":10shbs6y said:

It's really that simple.

This is an all too common tactic by Marvin/Popeye . . . derail the real story with a straw man argument.

I'M making straw man arguments? That's rich.

ANYWAY...

As for the initial story about Jed/Jim, I really doubt that's true. I can see if he said the meeting was for THE men only...as in just the players as Harbaugh used to refer to the players that way, but doubt he'd disrespect Jed that way.

However, If it IS true would go a long ways towards understanding why Jed felt the need to get rid of Harbaugh. Coach disrespecting an owner like that is uncalled for.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":ph5pxe2m said:
hawknation2015":ph5pxe2m said:
Jville":ph5pxe2m said:

It's really that simple.

I'M making straw man arguments? That's rich.

ANYWAY...

As for the initial story about Jed/Jim, I really doubt that's true. I can see if he said the meeting was for THE men only...as in just the players as Harbaugh used to refer to the players that way, but doubt he'd disrespect Jed that way.

However, If it IS true would go a long ways towards understanding why Jed felt the need to get rid of Harbaugh. Couch disrespecting an owner like that is uncalled for.

I was thinking the same thing Marv...about the straw man arguments and that the word "THE" preceded what Harbaugh actually said. I could see Jeb "thinking" he heard Jim say what was reported and getting angry though.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
rideaducati":2xfxzd58 said:
I was thinking the same thing Marv...about the straw man arguments and that the word "THE" preceded what Harbaugh actually said. I could see Jeb "thinking" he heard Jim say what was reported and getting angry though.

Jed would probably be angry about being blocked from attending any football meeting, given that he thinks he knows something about the game despite having never played it at any level after pee wee.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Marvin49":14lt4llp said:
Laloosh":14lt4llp said:
Marvin49":14lt4llp said:
Why does that have anything at all to do with anything?

The recent Maras inherited their teams. So did the recent Rooneys. So did the Browns (Bengals). How about the Hunts? Don't even get me starts on Mark Davis.

Unlike Mark Davis who is waiting for someone to do everything for him, Jed got the stadium built when nobody else could...including his uncle.

Why does it take someone having to make their money on their own to be taken at all seriously? Oh, I know why. Its because YOUR owner made his money that way and its just another stone you can throw. Typical.

Hey Marv, can you describe your feelings for Jed in a paragraph or two? I'm curious if you're a fan or if you just don't like people saying things about your team's owner.

Talking about how you feel about the person. Not the fact that he "got the stadium built". I don't know much about him, I laugh at him because he just looks like a bit of a tool.

Honestly?

I really don't know. Two years ago he was the conquering hero. He got the stadium built, he hired Baalke and Harbaugh, and under his reign the team returned to the respectability it had before his father destroyed it.

As a person, I don't know him either (tho I met him very briefly once) so it's really hard to say anything in that regard.

What I respond to tho when I defend him here (and on the 'zone for that matter) is peeps who make personal attacks that don't make sense.

"He's cheap"! OK, then why did he have the most expensive coaching staff in the NFL. The new coaching staff is less expensive by about 3-4 million and they'd stand to make ALOT more than that if they make the playoffs or SB.

"He's auctioning off the team now that he's got his stadium"! Uh, NOOOOBODY!!! who left via Free Agency wasn't expected to leave. He can't control player retirements and they will be up against the cap regardless.

"He's hopelessly in over his head and he's just a spoiled child"! Was he that a few years ago when he promoted McGloughan over Nolan, then hired Singletary (bad move) and then fired him (good move), then promoted Baalke and hired Harbaugh.

Time will tell if he'll be a good owner or not. How well Tomsula works out will go a long way toward answering that question, but they haven't played a down yet under this new coaching staff.

My defense of him for the most part just has to do with the uneducated assumptions people make and how they drop the entire weight of everything they perceive as bad in Ninerland squarely on his feet. Wiilis retires. "OMG players don't want to stay here". Borland retires. "OMG guys are willing to give up millions of dollars to escape! Thanks Jed!!".

Wha? Just doesn't make any sense.

Thanks Marv. I hope you don't mind but I made a small edit. Where's your team spirit?