Has it happened to you yet?

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
I guess it really does not matter if you came late to the party. Just enjoy the ride.

As for Fandom I worked with Patera's secretary. I went to many games in the old Kingdome when we were in the AFC west. I was at the game when Largent and Joyner set the receiving records among others.

But worst of pains was going to a Seahawk game with my wife (who was originally from Wisc.) and a bunch of Packer fans in the 90's to see Farve kick our asses, I think Mirer was attempting to be our QB that day. There was more Packers fans there than Hawk fans and that pissed me off. Then I had to suffer all my packer buddies talk about how good the Pack was, that just sucked.

Dang, I have worked with a lot of people from Wisconsin.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
So, should a genuine fan take offense if some moron questions this? Usually it's people trying to steal your joy. But, if you think about it, it truly is offensive. They INTEND for it to offend you if you're a passionate fan. Guess what? It works... at least it works on me. You know why? It's called passion. I can handle it in mature manner, but perhaps there's a better way to answer such clowns. (Please feel free to add your best ideas. "Ignore them" is obvious. I'm talking about actions or what to say to put them in the place they're trying to put you.

Some idiot who doesn't even like football tried that on me this week. I felt like jacking him in the mouth. I did not. What's worse is a good friend of mine... a Steelers fan (yeah, I know) "vouched" for me. (I could half-way appreciate the gesture, but that almost made it worse. But, I just told my friend my passion for my team doesn't cease b/c some idiot says such a stupid thing to me.) Anyway, the accusers intentions were low. I didn't say much, but I think I asked him what he even knows of football. Nothing, really. Well, there you go. Get lost, pal.

I'm almost as offended by someone saying such a stupid thing as I would be someone suggesting I don't love my wife. I'm probably a bit TOO passionate about the Hawks, I realize. But, don't anyone try to cure me there. Not necessary. ;)

So, perhaps that's it. Ask someone who brings that $#!^ if they would be offended by a similar question that would be offensive enough to make them want to resort to blows. Just say, hey buddy... let's cut to the chase and get on with it. You can pretend it doesn't rile you up, but in the OP - it's assumed it riles us up (any fan of any team, really) to some degree. Man, you Niner fans on here - any fans - feel free to share how you've handled such encounters.

It happens here at .net, too. Some Niner-fan (can't remember who) questioned my long term loyalty simply because of my start date on .net. So, all you guys who were long-term lurkers like me who finally signed up - we're pretenders in their eyes. Those were fake tears when you watched Pete Carroll running nearly as fast as Malcolm Smith down the sideline before halftime of the greatest Super Bowl ever.

Throwdown

Reaction score
warden":161uu919 said:
Throwdown":161uu919 said:
I've been questioned by other Hawk fans, and when you drop the name Michael Sinclair in their face its pretty much game over.

Try dropping the name David Sims and you will get a big blank stare. Mr Sims and Mr Zorn where my first two favorite players. In 1978 Sims scored a league leading 15 TDs for the Seahawks

Haha I'm only 26 though, when I was a kid Michael Sinclair was my dad's favorite, so naturally my guy was Sinclair, and Joey Galloway too, and always had love for Tez.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
The Outfield":1wb90jn0 said:
Anybody else try to see how quickly they could come up with 4 QB names? lol

I just did....Krieg, Moon, Zorn, Whitehurst.

( getting my hard hat on now. )

:p

-The Glove-

Reaction score
I usually respond with "when I was a kid, I was a big fan of Rick Mirer"...unfortunately that's my first memory of Seahawks football. And I thought Mirer was the ish just because he donned the Seahawks colors. I didn't have the benefits of a dad that loved football and introduced me to the game. I stumbled upon it on my own. Back then, the Sonics, Gary Payton, the M's and Griffey had my heart. Then I discovered, Galloway, Kennedy, Jones, and fell in love

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
-The Glove-":1yhvumak said:
I usually respond with "when I was a kid, I was a big fan of Rick Mirer"...unfortunately that's my first memory of Seahawks football. And I thought Mirer was the ish just because he donned the Seahawks colors. I didn't have the benefits of a dad that loved football and introduced me to the game. I stumbled upon it on my own. Back then, the Sonics, Gary Payton, the M's and Griffey had my heart. Then I discovered, Galloway, Kennedy, Jones, and fell in love
:th2thumbs: (except for not having the benefits of a Dad that loved football) I didn't force it upon my kids, but 2 of my 4 are following the Hawks with me. Football just isn't an interest to my first 2. But, they watched the Super Bowl with me to be supportive. Pretty sure I didn't end up on YouTube. I tell you what, though... passing it on to your kids is tough to put into words. Especially when your 10 year old son is the one who declares after Percy Harvin took it to the house, "Dad... the Seahawks are going to win the Super Bowl." Words I'd waited to hear since I started watching the expansion Seahawks as a young boy. Made it all the more memorable.

Go Hawks

djb28

Reaction score
Not ever. I have been a fan too long and pretty much the only one in a 30 mile radius around here, But I do get people quit on me in Madden when I choose the Hawks! lol

SeahawkFrost

Reaction score
Yesterday i was flying out of Columbia, South Carolina i was approaching the guy scanning our tickets to board the plane and there was a lady right in front of me all decked out in her Texan's gear. The ticket taker compliments the lady saying oh you must be a big Texan's fan. I was wearing my seahawks hat with the super bowl 48 logo on the side and a black nike shirt with a super bowl ring on it. The ticket taker says to me your not a bandwagon fan are you? I just looked at him and laughed.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
BASF":ufde5653 said:
loafoftatupu":ufde5653 said:
I had it happen in South Carolina in March. From an old school Raiders fan. So I told him about the game Doornink ran the ball down the throat of the Raiders for 2 bills in the Wildcard game.

He remembered that too. :)

This is a great way to approach the situation. Anytime a Niners fan asks me about the fandom I ask them if they remember Rocky Bernard ruining their season by taking out Alex Smith when we dominated them 23-3. It is very telling to see their reaction about their own fandom.
That's a great one. Heh.. Bernard. It wasn't like it mattered either. Alex came back to play Seattle and lost 24-0 in the second meeting. ;)

If you really want to get a Niner fan, ask them if they knew who the players were involved in WienerGate.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
EntiatHawk":1vcirnru said:
I guess it really does not matter if you came late to the party. Just enjoy the ride.

As for Fandom I worked with Patera's secretary. I went to many games in the old Kingdome when we were in the AFC west. I was at the game when Largent and Joyner set the receiving records among others.

But worst of pains was going to a Seahawk game with my wife (who was originally from Wisc.) and a bunch of Packer fans in the 90's to see Farve kick our asses, I think Mirer was attempting to be our QB that day. There was more Packers fans there than Hawk fans and that pissed me off. Then I had to suffer all my packer buddies talk about how good the Pack was, that just sucked.

Dang, I have worked with a lot of people from Wisconsin.
I was at that game.

An asswipe Packer fan parked his Green and yellow Packer truck in a manner that robbed us of a spot. He didn't want anyone parking next to him.

I noticed that someone else blocked in his driver's side door, so I got creative.

I was in my old Ford Bronco, it actually fit in the spot but we had to climb out the back window which I closed with my key. There was no space for the Packer fan to get in his rig.

We approached the Concourse to see a sea of green and yellow, with a Drunk Packer fan screaming "let me hear you Packer fans" as he poured beer over the side onto Seahawks fans walking in.

I knew blocking the guy in was the right idea. It was even more rewarding after they game (which they kicked our asses in)

Riley12

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":ql78sdo2 said:
WHAT DID I LEARN? Its really pointless to argue (about any topic) with like 9 out 10 people over the internet. However, those rare 1 out of 10 are the greatest debates you'll ever have at times.

I wouldn't put it at 1 in ten, maybe 1 in a hundred, but that is certainly the greatest Life on the Internet Lesson that anyone can learn, just ahead of "never send money to a Nigerian prince".

Barthawk

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":1na7gvz4 said:
I haven't had any band wagon accusations, but 'Pete the Cheat' B.S. wears thin. Bush and his shady loans somehow makes Carroll somebody that doesn't play by the rules. Wonderful rationalizations. Just like how his going agaist convention for USC practices was stretched to mean 'a general atmosphere of non-compliance' by the NCAA. Good grief...does that seriously bring the haters any comfort?

Very true. The "Pete the Cheat" crap gets really old.. That and the lemmings who know nothing about Sherm, but yet rail on his character.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Riley12":1hfeyb2v said:
Pandion Haliaetus":1hfeyb2v said:
WHAT DID I LEARN? Its really pointless to argue (about any topic) with like 9 out 10 people over the internet. However, those rare 1 out of 10 are the greatest debates you'll ever have at times.

I wouldn't put it at 1 in ten, maybe 1 in a hundred, but that is certainly the greatest Life on the Internet Lesson that anyone can learn, just ahead of "never send money to a Nigerian prince".

Um uh...Nigerian Prince???? You mean it is not real???? Dammit. :mrgreen:

sc85sis

Reaction score
warden":34xyyokz said:
People know better

Most know that I was a Seahawk fan back in the days when it wasn't cool to be a Seahawk fan.

I have been to a game in the Kingdome (96 packers game) when things where throw at me for wearing Seahawk colors all game long. Three quarters of the crowd was green and gold. Cortez called that game the lowest point of his career. I literally saw people get beaten up because they wore Seahawk colors

I remember in my earlier days as Season ticket holder when I still lived in Canada, crossing the border at Blaine, The Border guard asking "what is the purpose of your trip?", I replied "to go to the Seahawks game". He said " wait here" he left and when he returned he was accompanied with a half dozen other border guards which had me thinking holly phuck, then he pointed and said "Seahawk fans" and the group of guards broke out laughing at us.

I have been doing road trips for years. Trust me this chit that the Seahawk fans travel well is just a recent thing, for years the only other people wearing Seahawk colors in the opposing stadiums wear the players families (which was cool for it was really easy to meet them)

See when I was a teenager in the seventies it was cool to be a Seahawk fan, it was also cool in the eighties, but it was not the in thing to do in the nineties.

I have always asked where did all the Seahawk fans go to in the nineties? They sure the he11 were not supporting the team. The lack of interest almost cost us our team. I can fully see this happening again if we struggled like we did in the nineties again. Most Seahawk fans today are band wagon fans and will disappear as soon as we struggle. But they will call themselves the ultimate best fan ever when things are going well. The Seahawk fans are not the best fans in the league, trust me they will disappear in the masses when the going gets tough.
That's true of pretty much every team. There will always be bandwagon fans that come and go depending on the success of a team. There are a whole lot of Patriots fans out there who weren't fans prior to the Pats going to the playoffs and Super Bowls on a regular basis.

The real question will be how many of those Pats fans who have grown up during their successful period stay fans once Belichick and Brady are gone. I think some will stick around because they've been fans since they were kids. If the Seahawks go on a similar run, they too will likely create new, lifelong fans--even from those who are "bandwagon" fans now.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Barthawk":2ltfogpw said:
HawKnPeppa":2ltfogpw said:
I haven't had any band wagon accusations, but 'Pete the Cheat' B.S. wears thin. Bush and his shady loans somehow makes Carroll somebody that doesn't play by the rules. Wonderful rationalizations. Just like how his going agaist convention for USC practices was stretched to mean 'a general atmosphere of non-compliance' by the NCAA. Good grief...does that seriously bring the haters any comfort?

Very true. The "Pete the Cheat" crap gets really old.. That and the lemmings who know nothing about Sherm, but yet rail on his character.
Try being a USC fan as well as a Hawks fan.

If I were a guy, I might just haul off and clock the next idiot whom I heard saying that.

baumer64

Reaction score
I've never been accused of being a Seahawk Bandwagon fan. But if someone asked if I was, I'd say yes... I've been on the bandwagon non-stop since 1976.
Yes I remember David Simms and I remember Paul Johns as a great Punt returner until neck injury ended his career.
I remember the good and the bad over the years. Where was I during the blackout days of the 90s? I was in the 300 level of the Dome yelling my head off. Had season tickets from 1993-2000. (I know, I should have kept them but a move made making the games too difficult)
Name 4 QBs: How about this list, and no, I didn't just look it up on the net. Some of the spellings may be wrong but here's all the QBs I remember. I'm sure I'm going to miss some obvious ones...
Jim Zorn
Steve Mayer
Sam Adkins
David Kraig
Stan Gelbaugh
Kelly Stouffer
Dan McGuire
Rick Mirer
Warren Moon
Jon Kitna
Matt Hasselbeck
Trent Dilfer
Seneca Wallace
Tavaris Jackson
Russel Wilson

Bandwagon or not, I don't care what kind of fan you are as long as you yell loud for the Hawks at the games and stay classy!

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
baumer64":35blenbc said:
I've never been accused of being a Seahawk Bandwagon fan. But if someone asked if I was, I'd say yes... I've been on the bandwagon non-stop since 1976.
Yes I remember David Simms and I remember Paul Johns as a great Punt returner until neck injury ended his career.
I remember the good and the bad over the years. Where was I during the blackout days of the 90s? I was in the 300 level of the Dome yelling my head off. Had season tickets from 1993-2000. (I know, I should have kept them but a move made making the games too difficult)
Name 4 QBs: How about this list, and no, I didn't just look it up on the net. Some of the spellings may be wrong but here's all the QBs I remember. I'm sure I'm going to miss some obvious ones...
Jim Zorn
Steve Mayer
Sam Adkins
David Kraig
Stan Gelbaugh
Kelly Stouffer
Dan McGuire
Rick Mirer
Warren Moon
Jon Kitna
Matt Hasselbeck
Trent Dilfer
Seneca Wallace
Tavaris Jackson
Russel Wilson

Bandwagon or not, I don't care what kind of fan you are as long as you yell loud for the Hawks at the games and stay classy!

Good list from memory! It's only because of a perfectly-defensible mental block that you didn't include CBJ. :)

By the way, I appreciate your attitude. "I'm in!" or, is it, "on!" the bandwagon?

Hawks46

Reaction score
Hawknballs":5zipj7vy said:
any 'bandwagon' conversation to me has become a non-issue

because

I watch the Superbowl and I see all those 12's in the stands making more noise than we've ever heard for a team in the superbowl

and I remember all of the sh*ttsburg fans in 2006.

and I couldn't care less if they decided they were seahawk fans 30 years ago, or in the second quarter of the game.

If you're gonna be loud for this team on game day, welcome to the wagon.

Totally agree.

Haven't been called a bandwagon fan yet but if I did:

I'd tell them about the time I saw John Elway beat us....at Husky Stadium (the old one).

I'd pull out my Seahawks glasses from McDonald's. The ones with Manu Tuoiasasopo. Or however you spell his name.

I'd get my Jim Zorn autograph out. The one I got as a kid when he was signing at the Waterbed Wharehouse in Olympia.

I've been a Hawks fan since I could remember, but like Hawknballs said..."welcome to the bandwagon".

It also always happens after a championship. Seriously how many Patriots fans were out there (at least openly) before their first ring ?