Hawkblogger: rumors of a 4 year contract for Tate

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":21wnr2rt said:
News will break tomorrow or this week, I actually am buying into the rumors 100% because Tate has already said he'd stay in Seattle at a discounted price.
Hope so but I live in Missouri so you got to show me.:)

HawkFan72

Reaction score
There were rumors of this last week but most of us just attributed it to people getting confused and finding old news of him signing his 4 year rookie deal.

Interesting that these 4-year contract rumors keep popping up. Where there's smoke...

plyka

Reaction score
davidonmi":2cgasp19 said:
Plyka I don't want him at just under 6 per, but that would be my guess for the contract. He's our #1 wr and an elite punt returner

He is not our #1 and special teams doesn't really go much towards $6m per year. With a fully healthy Hawks team, Tate is the #4 WR behind Percy, Rice and BAldwin and perhaps TIED with Kearse. Even if you consider Rice gone, then we need to see who takes Rice's place in order to determine whether Tate is 3rd or 4th place.

Besides the sentimentality of fans, I just cannot see how or why anyone thinks Tate is worth $6m per year or that Tate is a #1 WR. A #1 WR on a team with Percy Harvin? I like Tate just as much as the next guy, but Percy Harvin and Tate are not even in the same world, we are talking about a completely different level of player here. And yet Tate is #1 WR on this team? I don't know where you guys are coming up with this stuff.

OP
OP
davidonmi

davidonmi

Reaction score
I corrected myself in the last page, again I meant was. He's our #2/3 assuming rice is gone this year. I'm not for the contract but I understand why they would do it. And special teams do matter

OP
OP
davidonmi

davidonmi

Reaction score
I thought you could decipher what I meant by that, no one in their right mind would say he's a better we then harvin

OP
OP
davidonmi

davidonmi

Reaction score
I think he has earned 4 years 20-23 but for this team I'm not sure if that's a smart investment for this particular team though, but if Carroll and Schneider feel differently I will not be wringing my hands over it

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2k4gcjlp said:
NFSeahawks628":2k4gcjlp said:
News will break tomorrow or this week, I actually am buying into the rumors 100% because Tate has already said he'd stay in Seattle at a discounted price.
Oh I'll do more than show you. ....... .. ..... .. ... :stirthepot:

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
plyka":1co30m86 said:
davidonmi":1co30m86 said:
Plyka I don't want him at just under 6 per, but that would be my guess for the contract. He's our #1 wr and an elite punt returner

He is not our #1 and special teams doesn't really go much towards $6m per year. With a fully healthy Hawks team, Tate is the #4 WR behind Percy, Rice and BAldwin and perhaps TIED with Kearse. Even if you consider Rice gone, then we need to see who takes Rice's place in order to determine whether Tate is 3rd or 4th place.

Besides the sentimentality of fans, I just cannot see how or why anyone thinks Tate is worth $6m per year or that Tate is a #1 WR. A #1 WR on a team with Percy Harvin? I like Tate just as much as the next guy, but Percy Harvin and Tate are not even in the same world, we are talking about a completely different level of player here. And yet Tate is #1 WR on this team? I don't know where you guys are coming up with this stuff.

Why are we forgetting YAC, he's proved he's a valuable piece multiple times over the last two years. Solid hands, incredible catches, great YAC, and he can return punts. I'd say $4 mil. I know Tate said he'd take a discount but I don't know. I guess he figures his spot on almost any other team is a # 3 WR. However he brings something special here. Trust me I didn't care for Tate at all his first year with the Seahawks, he just didn't have "it", I was wrong.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I think I'd rather pay Rice $3mil and hope he comes back healthy than Tate $6mil per.

But I'd love if we could keep him for $4.5 per year.

he is only 25 seems like if he did a 4 year deal but it was more like a 3 year he'd get one more chance at a good payday at 28. I'd be dumb for him to lock up in a 5 year deal no because it's rear for 30yo #2 WR's to get big paydays.

I could see him doing a 2 year deal at $5m per just to get a few more rings

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Sounds to me like some guy got confused on Facebook, and blogger decided to run with it, even though he admits it's attributed to no source whatsoever. In his tweet, he even calls it an "extension," but Tate isn't eligible for an extension as his contract has expired.

Guess we'll see.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":2jvmxiah said:
MizzouHawkGal":2jvmxiah said:
NFSeahawks628":2jvmxiah said:
Oh I'll do more than show you. ....... .. ..... .. ... :stirthepot:
Bring it on.... sir.:)

I do agree with your options about Tate . 4 million with a 4 year contract sounds right.

KINGGRUMPY

Reaction score
I'm sure he will give the discount due to the offense we run. Potentially, this run first offense could add a few years to a receivers shelf life.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
KINGGRUMPY":3oprwph5 said:
I'm sure he will give the discount due to the offense we run. Potentially, this run first offense could add a few years to a receivers shelf life.

An excellent point; he can grab 15-18 mil, potentially get a couple more rings, and still have some tread left on the tires. This holds true for the other receivers too of course. Very anxious to see how this plays out.

ivotuk

Reaction score
As far as discount goes, if you consider 12% interest on 4.5 million, that's about 500,000 in income tax. So taking 4 million in Seattle would be about the same as taking 4.5 million say in California.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
I would be happy with 4 years 20m. But it would obviously have to come with a restructure or release of Sidney.

If we could get Harvin + Tate + Rice + Baldwin + Kearse for next season.... :shock:

:3:

Tokadub

Reaction score
plyka":1y6qmpnl said:
Are you people insane? 4 years at 24m? That's a shot straight to the knees of this organization...I'm really hoping Tate does get 4 for 24, but SOMEHWERE ELSE.

If Tate comes at 6m PER YEAR, it is a huge and ridiculous waste of money. Perhaps the first real idiotic decision by this team. Note, I don't consider wrong decisions idiotic, because sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. I call sentimental decisions idiotic, because those are destined to lose.

6m per year for Tate is beyond absurd. I heard Clayton say that a team can have 6-8 players at 6m or higher. You are going to waste one of those 6 on Tate? Watch Bennett walk, watch Sherm or Earl or Baldwin walk? You people are nuts.

That's a bit harsh, Tate is most definitely worth 5-6 million a year. Imagine him on a pass heavy team he would absolutely tear it up, don't forget he is a great punt returner.

Tate has one of a kind athleticism, skills in the air, great hands, and he plays hard every time. I think he could easily be a 1000+ yard receiver on a team like the Patriots or Colts. Heck, he would do great on Denver or the Saints but that's just silly to mention because they don't even need him right now.

Tate nearly got 1000 yards in one season on the Hawks for goodness sake! We barely throw the ball but when Tate gets it he's effective. I think I read somewhere he had the highest yards after catch in the league could never find the source after seeing it the first time. I know he has the highest missed tackles per catch in the league. He also has an insanely good catch rate for any ball that is considered catchable.

Tate getting 6 million a year is no joke, I would rather pay him 6 million a year than pay Bennett 6 million a year if someone put a gun to my head and we could only keep one.

BUT Tate isn't going to take 6 million a year to keep. He said he's down for a hometown discount and I believe him. I think we can keep him for 4-5 million per year and I'd much rather have that then paying Bennett 6+ million a year.

Tate is a unique athlete, he's special. Bennett is nothing more than a hustler in a perfect system to let him "shine" with his mediocre stats.

I wish we could keep both but with our financial situation we really can't afford to pay either of them 6 million a year, I think Tate would be willing to stay for less... Bennett will be gone.

Tokadub

Reaction score
plyka":2xotsv65 said:
davidonmi":2xotsv65 said:

Once again you seem overly harsh. First of all Rice is like 90% gone unless he takes like 3 million.

Secondly where do you get this idea that Tate is our #4 receiver?

Last year Tate and Baldwin were pretty much tied for our #1 receivers.

I'm pretty sure espn is wrong with these stats which is strange:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/sea

Almost positive Baldwin passed Tate for receiving yards LATE in the season, which is not the case according to ESPN... strange...

But anyways according to ESPN:

Tate led the team in receiving yards at 898 with a 65.3% reception/target rate.

Baldwin was 2nd (I think ESPN wrong) with 778 yards with a 68.5% reception/target rate.

The real stats I think were that Baldwin edged out Tate but both were almost identical in total receiving yards. Maybe I'm just tripping balls since ESPN is normally pretty good with stats.

Anyways Zach Miller was #3 in receiving yards.

Kearse was #4... 346 total yards with a 57.9% reception/target rate.

Kearse had less than half the yards of Tate or Baldwin and his catch % was significantly lower.

AND I LOVE KEARSE!!! But in what parrallell Universe are you living in can you say Kearse is better than Golden Tate last season???

Tate was clearly right up there with Baldwin as our #1 receiver last season. You could give Baldwin the slight edge in clutch catches, but really Tate was just as good it's just that New Orleans play in particular and the playoffs as a whole Baldwin was more productive.

What about 2 seasons ago in 2012?

In 2012:

Sidney Rice #1 with 748 yards
Golden Tate #2 with 688 yards
Zach Miller #3 with 396 yards
Doug Baldwin #4 with 366 yards.

So Tate was almost equal to Baldwin last season, and he was far superior two seasons ago.

But somehow Tate just fell off the ugly tree of being a good player for no apparent reason and he goes from his rightful place as tied for #1 to being a #4 receiver???

I respectfully disagree, Tate was almost identical 2 seasons ago with Rice both at 15 yards per reception. Tate also had a fantastic 14 yards per reception this last season. So easy to forget Tate's 80 yard reception just last season... yeah he's totally #4.

Truth is we are losing Rice almost guaranteed, and Harvin let's face it there's at least a 30% chance probably much higher chance he won't play every game.

In a realistic world Tate is tied for #1 receiver on our team, Harvin is likely to get injured, Rice will be traded, and he's already just as good as Baldwin.

If you account for Tate's 585 punt return yards he probably has the most total yards on our entire team but I'm not gonna check the stats, already put enough effort to try to make the point Tate isn't garbage :)

oasis

Reaction score
What's the difference in the skills of Tate and Steve Smith (in his prime)?

They're both similar-type players in their ability on the field, with one key difference.

In my opinion, the reason why Smith was so great was his ability to gain separation.

I don't think Tate can do that with enough consistency, but I think that skill can still develop and that's why I think he is worth quite a bit.