Hawkblogger: rumors of a 4 year contract for Tate

brimsalabim

Reaction score
If true Ilike it. All things being equal reward the loyalty. He came out imediatly and said he wanted to be here enough to take a little home team discount. Also from Golden's point of view there is probably not away to attach a measurable dollar value to being Russell Wilson's best friend. They have worked well together.

McGruff

Reaction score
if Tate gets a long term deal done here its not because of what hes done in the past but because of what they project for the future.

Fact . . . Tate was a raw, athletic project as a 21 year old coming out of Notre Dame. Every one knew he would take time to develop.

Fact . . . Tates production, skills, and consistency have gotten better every year.

Projection . . . given Tates starting point and trajectory its not hard to surmise that the accendency will continue. The Seahawks will give him a contract based on their projections, not sentimentality.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I went and read the tweet and it really says nothing. He won't even attach his name to it or post it on his actual blog. Plus, if he had already signed the deal it would be public already.

TXHawkFan

Reaction score
brimsalabim":320rk4hv said:
If true Ilike it. All things being equal reward the loyalty. He came out imediatly and said he wanted to be here enough to take a little home team discount. Also from Golden's point of view there is probably not away to attach a measurable dollar value to being Russell Wilson's best friend. They have worked well together.

I hope Tate is re-signed but Russell Wilson is going to see a lot of friends leave over the years. I know it sounds harsh but the NFL is a cutthroat business and loyalty and friendship should mean little in contract negotiations because a few bad contracts can sink a team.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
plyka":14pkdrqx said:
davidonmi":14pkdrqx said:
Plyka I don't want him at just under 6 per, but that would be my guess for the contract. He's our #1 wr and an elite punt returner

He is not our #1 and special teams doesn't really go much towards $6m per year. With a fully healthy Hawks team, Tate is the #4 WR behind Percy, Rice and BAldwin and perhaps TIED with Kearse. Even if you consider Rice gone, then we need to see who takes Rice's place in order to determine whether Tate is 3rd or 4th place.

Besides the sentimentality of fans, I just cannot see how or why anyone thinks Tate is worth $6m per year or that Tate is a #1 WR. A #1 WR on a team with Percy Harvin? I like Tate just as much as the next guy, but Percy Harvin and Tate are not even in the same world, we are talking about a completely different level of player here. And yet Tate is #1 WR on this team? I don't know where you guys are coming up with this stuff.

who said 6m year? one person? maybe 2?

I get what you're saying, you dont think he's worth 6 mil a year (and I agree). but there's only been one speculative post regarding that figure, everything else is around 4.5-5.

Is he worth that much in your eyes? Would you pay Tate 4.5m/year over 4 years?

hawker84

Reaction score
I would love to see Golden back, sorry i'm a huge Rice fan, but i'd much rather see him walking the Tate or Baldwin. Even if he returns, i don't think that knee can take the pounding of a full season, would much rather have 5 healthy recievers in camp with kearse and lockette or if whoever they try to bring in.

Largent80

Reaction score
Tate has progressed nicely. He is also a good blocker which I have not seen mentioned.

He is also tough as nails and so far has been injury free. Just like with Bennett, I don't care what he gets paid, as it isn't my money. However, I want Tate on the team.

randomation

Reaction score
Largent80":37zosg05 said:
Tate has progressed nicely. He is also a good blocker which I have not seen mentioned.

He is also tough as nails and so far has been injury free. Just like with Bennett, I don't care what he gets paid, as it isn't my money. However, I want Tate on the team.

You kind of have to care what he gets paid since it will effect being able to resign RW Sherman and ET those 3 are going to eat a lot of cap.

Largent80

Reaction score
randomation":2ceba0pr said:
Largent80":2ceba0pr said:

You kind of have to care what he gets paid since it will effect being able to resign RW Sherman and ET those 3 are going to eat a lot of cap.

I understand that. However, the guy has done nothing except get better every year and is in his prime. He has a very good repoire with RW, and is also valuable to the team in so many other ways.

The salary cap is way too low for a 53 man roster since all the best players get multiple millions to play the game these days. You simply cannot pay / keep all of these guys.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Can we put a clause in his contract that he will fall forward at all times when he HAS THE FIRST DOWN? Just a suggestion.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Throwdown":semiagcn said:
Can we put a clause in his contract that he will fall forward at all times when he HAS THE FIRST DOWN? Just a suggestion.

or every time he gets a first down, gets hit, spins around runs backwards, before somehow getting back across the first down line when an OL pushes him forward, he loses 100k off his cap hit.

Creative thinking, I like it.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
People have to relax on numbers. 4/24 does not mean 6 million a year.

It would probably look more like 4-5-7-8 cap numbers with 7-10 guranteed. Basically means he gets cut in his 4th year of the contract and on the end it was 4/18. Remeber cap is also going up in 2015.

Throwdown

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":2ryp8oq0 said:
Throwdown":2ryp8oq0 said:

or every time he gets a first down, gets hit, spins around runs backwards, before somehow getting back across the first down line when an OL pushes him forward, he loses 100k off his cap hit.

Creative thinking, I like it.

The 100k goes to a LOB member might help keep both Sherman and Thomas, or it can go to the lineman who knocked him forward?

v1rotv2

Reaction score
Tate brings a talent to the table that this team needs in a big way. He is a very, very good possession wr. He keeps drives alive. How many times has RW been on the run and out of nowhere there's Tate. There is no better hands on the team and no better fighter for yards than he. There was no one more critical of his antics than me but he is coming around in that regard. But don't break the bank.

As far as Sidney goes, it seems he is hurt a lot and can't be trusted to finish the season. 2012 is his only full season on the field. 2011 he had 9 games played and last year only 8. I am fine with Harvin, Tate, Baldwin, Kearse and maybe Lockette.

randomation

Reaction score
Largent80":1wwb8jtl said:
randomation":1wwb8jtl said:
Largent80":1wwb8jtl said:

I understand that. However, the guy has done nothing except get better every year and is in his prime. He has a very good repoire with RW, and is also valuable to the team in so many other ways.

The salary cap is way too low for a 53 man roster since all the best players get multiple millions to play the game these days. You simply cannot pay / keep all of these guys.

Its meant to be if there was no salary cap it would be a billionaire arms race see the Yankees when they were actually good while that would great for the Hawks it would be terrible for parity in the league the cap is set up in such a way that each team in the league should have 3 to 5 star pro bowl level players the Hawks buck that trend via drafting prowess.

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
I know it could not be this way but there should be a top end cap for players based on a percentage of the total cap space for a team. Something like 10%, so if your team total cap is 126 million you cannot pay any one player more than 12.6 million. This would go a long way for parity in the league and more players would get more money.

So as the team cap space goes up then those players potential salaries can go up.

TorontoHawk

Reaction score
plyka":2hfvj4t4 said:
davidonmi":2hfvj4t4 said:
Plyka I don't want him at just under 6 per, but that would be my guess for the contract. He's our #1 wr and an elite punt returner

He is not our #1 and special teams doesn't really go much towards $6m per year. With a fully healthy Hawks team, Tate is the #4 WR behind Percy, Rice and BAldwin and perhaps TIED with Kearse. Even if you consider Rice gone, then we need to see who takes Rice's place in order to determine whether Tate is 3rd or 4th place.

Besides the sentimentality of fans, I just cannot see how or why anyone thinks Tate is worth $6m per year or that Tate is a #1 WR. A #1 WR on a team with Percy Harvin? I like Tate just as much as the next guy, but Percy Harvin and Tate are not even in the same world, we are talking about a completely different level of player here. And yet Tate is #1 WR on this team? I don't know where you guys are coming up with this stuff.

I agree he not worth that kind of money, that is crazy if they sign him for that much, I would let him walk if that is what he is asking. He is our number 2 WR(only because Rice was out).

morgulon1

Reaction score
plyka":23rcenws said:
davidonmi":23rcenws said:

Does anyone on here worry about Harvin's durability? He played part of one regular season game. If he plays the whole season
this next year, yes he is better than Tate. I have to give credit to Golden for really getting better over the last couple seasons.
I remember when people on here were talking about him getting cut coming out of camp.

Funny how it worked out.

drdiags

Reaction score
Will be interesting to see how Tate's future turns out. If he walks for a reasonable deal, the team will have failed to reward one of its original core players while handsomely rewarding a premiere player from another team. These things happen but any goodwill by other players on the team toward the organization will be handicapped.

It may work out that the team cannot pay Tate what he and his agent feels he is worth but that Harvin deal still boggles my mind. Add onto that if the team has to cut Big Red and Miller halfway through their current contracts. All may be necessary evils but still a few fans moan because a player won't give home town discounts. Rice, well that is what he gets for blocking on a goal line QB sweep keeper. Next team, do an Ole block and call it good.