Hawks Called Timeout to Prevent Wilson......

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
This is the problem with lying repeatedly to try to minimize damage.

Pete now has a track record of doing this at times when he feels it helps him.

He has every incentive to lie here given what it says about his OC and his OC's relationship with his most important player.

So now, even if there is nothing here - people will think there is.

That said, it is now out there.

To dismiss it out of hand because the staff denied it and then came up for a good explanation ignores the fact our coach has lied before and come up with 'good explanations'. Hell, after the same game Pete seemingly lied about Carson until it was clear how dumb that lie was.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":161dj4bj said:
jammerhawk":161dj4bj said:
Was this the sideline woodshedding Wilson, or was It the staff trying to fix a misalignment by the rookie RB. So the blame is being put on the rookie? Why wasn’t Penny pulled out after the timeout?

If it was actually was on the the rookie it is getting obvious in two games now the rookie is being preferred over the better RB in the weekly competition. Pete is doing another Lacy as far as the preference of RBs and his explanation in justification is embarrassingly foolish. Does he truly believe the ‘Always Compete’ mantra?

The only time they moved the ball is when they ran it and quit this down field nonsense with no open WRs, or a lack of pass protection that would allow a deep passing play to succeed.

If this was done to correct Wilson it destroyed the rhythm of the O and upset the timing for Wilson. Something isn’t working and the coach isn’t believing in it, nor is Wilson.

Nick Vannett was the player misaligned. Penny was fine.

The misalignment is just bad execution on the players. The offense could have continued the play, but if it was a pass play and Nick Vannett runs a route then it's a penalty for ineligible player downfield.

If it was a run play, that's not as bad except it gives the defense the advantage if they read and understand the misalignment. They would know Vannett has to stay inline and block on the play or else it's a penalty.

My guess is that the play was a run call, so RW felt he could make the play work even with the misalignment, except because it's an audible call Pete Carroll doesn't know if it's a pass or run. All he knows is that his team risks either a penalty or a defense knowing how to defend against the play.

That's why the timeout was called. It wasn't to control Wilson or correct him.

This certainly appears to be the likely scenario, but one has to question Pete's continued rationale of using 2nd half TOs early.

Is an ineligible man downfield penalty or a stuffed run play worth wasting a 2nd half TO over? Considering so many of our games are close and come down to a final drive in the last couple minutes, I just can't understand Pete's persistent failure to preseve these TOs.

mrt144

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":2ftyb15a said:
Recon_Hawk":2ftyb15a said:
jammerhawk":2ftyb15a said:
Was this the sideline woodshedding Wilson, or was It the staff trying to fix a misalignment by the rookie RB. So the blame is being put on the rookie? Why wasn’t Penny pulled out after the timeout?

If it was actually was on the the rookie it is getting obvious in two games now the rookie is being preferred over the better RB in the weekly competition. Pete is doing another Lacy as far as the preference of RBs and his explanation in justification is embarrassingly foolish. Does he truly believe the ‘Always Compete’ mantra?

The only time they moved the ball is when they ran it and quit this down field nonsense with no open WRs, or a lack of pass protection that would allow a deep passing play to succeed.

If this was done to correct Wilson it destroyed the rhythm of the O and upset the timing for Wilson. Something isn’t working and the coach isn’t believing in it, nor is Wilson.

The misalignment is just bad execution on the players. The offense could have continued the play, but if it was a pass play and Nick Vannett runs a route then it's a penalty for ineligible player downfield.

If it was a run play, that's not as bad except it gives the defense the advantage if they read and understand the misalignment. They would know Vannett has to stay inline and block on the play or else it's a penalty.

My guess is that the play was a run call, so RW felt he could make the play work even with the misalignment, except because it's an audible call Pete Carroll doesn't know if it's a pass or run. All he knows is that his team risks either a penalty or a defense knowing how to defend against the play.

This certainly appears to be the likely scenario, but one has to question Pete's continued rationale of using 2nd half TOs early.

Is an ineligible man downfield penalty or a stuffed run play worth wasting a 2nd half TO over? Considering so many of our games are close and come down to a final drive in the last couple minutes, I just can't understand Pete's persistent failure to preseve these TOs.

When you're gripping, yes, it seems worth it.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":3gxb1ybf said:
Recon_Hawk":3gxb1ybf said:
jammerhawk":3gxb1ybf said:

That's a fair question. If I know it's a run play, I'm allowing the snap, but on a pass play I'm calling a timeout. I don't want to have a positive play negated because of an ineligible player downfield penalty plus our offense hasn't been good converting 1st and 15. The penalty could be a drive killer.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1wuvxklz said:
mrt144":1wuvxklz said:
But given the circumstances, nobody will be able to help Wilson but himself.

NOBODY can do it ALL BY THEMSELVES.
Wilson might have to "Check Out" (BAIL) on 80% of plays that are poorly thought out.
I think everybody knows what Tom Brady would do with Coaching, or Coaches that run counter to his mindset.

Exactly. Nobody is paying to see Pete coach, they're paying to see the players. 10 bucks says Pete is back at USC next year.

rcaido

Reaction score
PlinytheCenter":330o28cl said:
scutterhawk":330o28cl said:
mrt144":330o28cl said:

Wilson might have to "Check Out" (BAIL) on 80% of plays that are poorly thought out.
I think everybody knows what Tom Brady would do with Coaching, or Coaches that run counter to his mindset.

Exactly. Nobody is paying to see Pete coach, they're paying to see the players. 10 bucks says Pete is back at USC next year.

ill take that bet

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
rcaido":3sfa12bd said:
PlinytheCenter":3sfa12bd said:
scutterhawk":3sfa12bd said:
mrt144":3sfa12bd said:

ill take that bet
+2
I'll take it twice.

Decimation

Reaction score
Let Russ do his thing and get rid of our coaching staff who won’t let him kill it.

It’s as simple as 1-2-3. We’re 0-2 and this team should be 2-0.

Just think. The Browns have a better record than us. That’s pretty pathetic with the amount of talent we have on this team.

This team needs to step up!