Hawks have $26mil in cap space in 2015.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
bbsplitter":3qpj0op7 said:
Pie Romania":3qpj0op7 said:
And who do you guys think we have to play the left side? Bailey is better suited at Guard IMO. Okung's contract drops 4 million this next year to a 7.2m cap hit, so while I'm not much of an Okung fan, I don't see him going anywhere without a replacement in place. Even if we draft someone in the 1st or 2nd round, I see them letting the draft pick compete and if he doesn't outperform Okung/Britt, he'll develop for year as a backup. If we're drafting for an Okung replacement and he can't beat out Britt, I'll be worried.

I want Clemmings for this scenario. Tons of potential, but a project of sorts and Pete/John have shown they're not afraid of taking on a project early in the draft. I think he could start at RT his rookie year. Britt would be depth and when Okung goes down (he does every single year), Clemmings could give the left side a shot with Britt at RT.

I also don't want to see Mebane gone. Between he & Miller, I'd prefer to keep Bane. Only way I'm OK with it is if he's traded for good compensation AND we know we can get Suh on a front loaded contract that drops when Wilson/Wagner's contracts jump up. Don't see that happening though.

Better suited, yes I would agree. But I would rather pay 4 times less for a player who was 3/4 as talented, and injured 1/2 as often, then draft more depth. I don't agree about having to out-play Britt/Okung. We brought in Eric Winston who played consistently better then Britt, but Britt was cheaper and younger so he got the job and we released Winston.

Winston was not playing better than Britt; he was just as much of a turnstile in pass pro but not on the same level as a run blocker.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1dwb4ac9 said:
bbsplitter":1dwb4ac9 said:
Pie Romania":1dwb4ac9 said:
And who do you guys think we have to play the left side? Bailey is better suited at Guard IMO. Okung's contract drops 4 million this next year to a 7.2m cap hit, so while I'm not much of an Okung fan, I don't see him going anywhere without a replacement in place. Even if we draft someone in the 1st or 2nd round, I see them letting the draft pick compete and if he doesn't outperform Okung/Britt, he'll develop for year as a backup. If we're drafting for an Okung replacement and he can't beat out Britt, I'll be worried.

I want Clemmings for this scenario. Tons of potential, but a project of sorts and Pete/John have shown they're not afraid of taking on a project early in the draft. I think he could start at RT his rookie year. Britt would be depth and when Okung goes down (he does every single year), Clemmings could give the left side a shot with Britt at RT.

I also don't want to see Mebane gone. Between he & Miller, I'd prefer to keep Bane. Only way I'm OK with it is if he's traded for good compensation AND we know we can get Suh on a front loaded contract that drops when Wilson/Wagner's contracts jump up. Don't see that happening though.

Better suited, yes I would agree. But I would rather pay 4 times less for a player who was 3/4 as talented, and injured 1/2 as often, then draft more depth. I don't agree about having to out-play Britt/Okung. We brought in Eric Winston who played consistently better then Britt, but Britt was cheaper and younger so he got the job and we released Winston.

Winston was not playing better than Britt; he was just as much of a turnstile in pass pro but not on the same level as a run blocker.

I disagree. I watched all games he played in, I was very interested in that position battle. In my opinion Britt was outplayed by Winston.

kearly

Reaction score
Wilson will likely sign a deal with a low 2015 base salary to compensate for the guaranteed dollars. Even if Wilson signs for $21 million per year his 2015 cap hit will probably only be around $10 million or so due to the fact that guaranteed money is spread out. This is very typical and it is also the way that Kaep's deal was done with a low 1st year cap hit. 2016 is when Wilson will start getting expensive in terms of cap hit, but that's one more year of the cap rising and one more year to free up money.

Even if they don't free up money, Seattle is in great shape. They should be able to keep everyone they want to keep.

Pie Romania

Reaction score
bbsplitter":1gkg0g9j said:
Pie Romania":1gkg0g9j said:

The last thing you want to do is make a team weakness even weaker if you don't have to. While Okung has yet to play an entire 16 game season, he's one of the two best pieces we have to keep Wilson from being killed every other play. Even though he won't be out there every single game, we need him (unfortunately). Would love to see him lose his starting job to a rookie draft pick who comes in and plays lights out from the get-go, but that's wishful thinking. We're more likely to see that draft pick use their first year essentially as a redshirted player for development & depth....possibly used at guard to get some experience with the speed of the NFL. If all goes right and they can beat out Okung at LT, either move Okung to the right side (doubt that would go over well in his final year of his rookie contract) or we could then trade him for a player who can come in and contribute elsewhere or draft compensation in 2016.

Really though, I'm betting on the former.

Jville

Reaction score
NJSeaHawk":2cc9wjvf said:

Returning, briefly to the original presentation, below is a link to an additional page that provides additional information >>>> [urltargetblank]http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space[/urltargetblank]

Note that answers to the questions some have asked is on that page. Don't be afraid to click and read.

Note the calculations disclosure >>>>>
Cap Space = (Team Salary Cap) – (Active Cap Spending) – (Dead Money)
Team Salary Cap = (Base Salary Cap) + (Carryover) +/- (Adjustments)

Note that the current assumed 2015 base cap for OTC numbers is $140 million.

Next, note that the $26,137,629 currently listed for Seahawk 2015 cap space covers 44 players contracted thru 2015.

raisethe3

Reaction score
bbsplitter":3caumalu said:
IMO I think we can move on from Okung and use his money for something else. He is getting older, he is always injured. I dont think he is a terrible player, and sometimes even maybe quite good, but for the money we save, and the people we have who have shown they can fill in, I say we move on.

I agree with this. They can always find replacements. Would save a lot of money too.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
raisethe3":v2cdjw8q said:
bbsplitter":v2cdjw8q said:
IMO I think we can move on from Okung and use his money for something else. He is getting older, he is always injured. I dont think he is a terrible player, and sometimes even maybe quite good, but for the money we save, and the people we have who have shown they can fill in, I say we move on.

I agree with this. They can always find replacements. Would save a lot of money too.

Saving 7M for Okung next year is not worth a rookie and/or backup LT. Then you'd have Britt on one side and another rookie on the other? That's a scary proposition.

Okung is a middle of the pack LT, and he's making slightly better than middle of the pack money, so it's not a huge deal cap wise. He was certainly over paid this year, but next year? No.

Jville

Reaction score
raisethe3":3v9ql2ng said:
bbsplitter":3v9ql2ng said:

Sure ........ such a huge surplus of big hand (10.5 inch), long armed (36 inch) and powerful 325 pound replacements out there. :roll: Replacing Okung should be a piece of cake.

ivotuk

Reaction score
The tag number for Left Tackle in 2014 (Ryan Clady) was 9.8 million and will likely go up this year. So $7 million for Okung in 2015 is a bargain.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/fran ... ady-030413

We need to keep Mebane for sure, he's one of the best NT out there and he's a bargain at his rate.

"Seattle general manager John Schneider announced Mebane had re-signed on Friday afternoon. The deal is worth $25 million over five years, a source told ESPN.com's John Clayton."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/68169 ... ource-says

SDHawk

Reaction score
I book marked all the posts that called me an idiot when I suggested Bane and Miller were going to get cut.

We need to extend Russ, Bobby, Sweezy and possibly Bruce Irvin.

We need to tender one or both of Kearse and Lockette. Same goes for Shead and Mike Morgan.

This is all assuming that Byron Maxwell, Malcolm Smith, and James Carpenter walk and does not include signing FAs or re-signing Tufuaku or OB Schofield.

Jordan Hill is stepping up and we can draft a cheap replacement for Bane in Danny Shelton or Terry Williams.

raisethe3

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1y61wx9l said:
raisethe3":1y61wx9l said:
bbsplitter":1y61wx9l said:

Saving 7M for Okung next year is not worth a rookie and/or backup LT. Then you'd have Britt on one side and another rookie on the other? That's a scary proposition.

Okung is a middle of the pack LT, and he's making slightly better than middle of the pack money, so it's not a huge deal cap wise. He was certainly over paid this year, but next year? No.

Didn't realize that, thanks for the info. So what's the best way to resolve this?

Snakeeyes007

Reaction score
hawknation2015":tdbq7oo8 said:
WilsonMVP":tdbq7oo8 said:
bbsplitter":tdbq7oo8 said:

I think so too..I would be shocked if Okung is on this team unless he signs a 1 year lower deal

Prepare yourself to be shocked.

This.

SeaChase

Reaction score
I'm thinking we can invest in a big name WR. Someone fast and dynamic, like a Golden Tate or Percy Harvin.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
raisethe3":1d0zuuly said:
Just found a source that says the Hawks would have $31.93 million in cap space.

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/ ... d/18026837

Not sure that source is reliable or not. But pretty close to what OP has stated.

The NFL at this moment is projecting the cap to be $138.6 and $141.8. The NFLPA is saying it will be higher then that (which would not surprise me). We currently have $118,868,970 tied up for 2015 with $5,226,852 unspent this year that we can roll over. So using the NFL projected numbers we should have $24,957,882 to 28,157,882 of Cap space for 2015 atm if my math is correct.

Mind you we will spend some on future contracts pretty soon.

That yardbarker article was quoting the guy from mid December right after we resigned KJ Wright but before the contract numbers were available.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1ptxew8g said:
bbsplitter":1ptxew8g said:

Okung's big cap hit was this year @ 11M, next year he only costs 7M against the cap.

So the question is where are you going to find a above average starting LT for 7M a year? The answer is you're not, all the good ones aren't free agents, nor would their team's allow them to be become free agents or traded due to that position's value.

So I guess you could try and draft a LT, but that's a risky risky plan my friend. Pay the man 7M, or restructure his contract to another 2-3 years for an even lower hit on the cap.
That's actually a great point. Maybe draft a guy and take time to groom in into the position.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":acslyivo said:
Sgt. Largent":acslyivo said:
bbsplitter":acslyivo said:

Okung's big cap hit was this year @ 11M, next year he only costs 7M against the cap.

So the question is where are you going to find a above average starting LT for 7M a year? The answer is you're not, all the good ones aren't free agents, nor would their team's allow them to be become free agents or traded due to that position's value.

So I guess you could try and draft a LT, but that's a risky risky plan my friend. Pay the man 7M, or restructure his contract to another 2-3 years for an even lower hit on the cap.
That's actually a great point. Maybe draft a guy and take time to groom in into the position.

That is what I expect them to do. I wouldn't be surprised to see Bailey go to LG if we let Carp walk then draft a LT that we they can take a year with to replace Okung while giving Okung one last chance to see how he holds up for a season.

Seafan

Reaction score
We have a lot of players without contracts for 2015. I'm not worried about that but the idea we have a lot of money to spend is absurd. I don't expect the Hawks to compete for UFAs. They'll get some vets like Kevin Williams late if they need to fill out the roster.

Suh is a pipe dream.