Hawks have $26mil in cap space in 2015.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
Think of all that money that comes off the books in 2016 if we don't release some people this season. The list could include Lynch, Okung, Mebane, and Miller (all are FAs in 2016). Another thing is we have another 7.2 million tied up in dead money from Percy for 2015 so by 2016 we are clear of that mess too.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
Where are all the 49ers trolls saying the Seahawks won't be able to re-sign everyone?

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Snakeeyes007":3941ctif said:
hawknation2015":3941ctif said:
WilsonMVP":3941ctif said:
bbsplitter":3941ctif said:
IMO I think we can move on from Okung and use his money for something else. He is getting older, he is always injured. I dont think he is a terrible player, and sometimes even maybe quite good, but for the money we save, and the people we have who have shown they can fill in, I say we move on.

I think so too..I would be shocked if Okung is on this team unless he signs a 1 year lower deal

Prepare yourself to be shocked.

This.

I thought he was a free agent next year since there was alot of talk about his contract

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
Nope, he is under contract until 2016. Carp is a FA though.

Here is a complete list of 2015 FAs

James Carpenter UFA
Kevin Williams UFA
Heath Farwell UFA
Jeron Johnson UFA
Anthony McCoy UFA
Tarvaris Jackson UFA
Clint Gresham UFA
Demarcus Dobbs UFA
Byron Maxwell UFA
Malcolm Smith UFA
Michael Morgan RFA
D'Anthony Smith UFA
Deshawn Shead ERFA
O'Brien Schofield UFA
Ricardo Lockette ERFA
Jermaine Kearse RFA
Steve Schilling UFA
Greg Scruggs RFA
Will Tukuafu UFA
David Gilreath RFA
Tony Moeaki UFA
Bryan Walters UFA
Sidney Rice UFA
Landon Cohen UFA
Stacy Andrews UFA

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
bbsplitter":dqot9w97 said:
IMO I think we can move on from Okung and use his money for something else. He is getting older, he is always injured. I dont think he is a terrible player, and sometimes even maybe quite good, but for the money we save, and the people we have who have shown they can fill in, I say we move on.
He's Mr. Glass, but you know...we could save money to actually buy, you know, GLASS and just spread it out on the left side and slow down the pass rush.

Okay, okay, he's actually pretty good when he's healthy...after he shakes off the rust...the day before he gets injured again.

ivotuk

Reaction score
SDHawk":23xtmyst said:
I book marked all the posts that called me an idiot when I suggested Bane and Miller were going to get cut.

Why? That happens all the time around here and has been going on for years. It's nothing to concern yourself with, don't give them the satisfaction.

Actually, if someone specifically called you an idiot, you need to notify your friendly local moderator so that they may slap them about a bit with a slimy salmon then smack 'em with a ban hammer!

Mebane isn't going to be cut, like I stated above, his contract is a bargain, as is Okung's. Zach Miller restructured his contract making him a bargain also, and is too valuable to cut. He is a difference maker and you don't cut people like that.

You do however make plans in case of a season ending injury, something that happens to the best of players.

But there is no way they cut any one of those three. :!:

Tical21

Reaction score
The scary thing, as I've noted before is that we now have to heavily rely on the front office's ability to draft linemen and receiving threats, which they haven't done nearly as well as they have at manicuring db's and lb's. We don't have money to throw at holes. I almost wish we had left db or lb spots open as I have a ton of faith that we could easily draft to fill those holes. I hate the thought of having to backload Russ to fit people under the cap. That stuff catches up with you, especially if you have to restructure and backload him again at some point.
I think the signings of Avril and Wright signify a decision has been made not to extend a guy or two. No, I don't think it means they've decided not to extend Russell.

chris98251

Reaction score
James Carpenter will be signed on a limited performance enhanced contract

Kevin Williams depends on his desire to continue to play, and whether he is willing to work with us

Heath Farwell has value, won't be big money, his health and recovery will dictate if he even plays again.

Jeron Johnson Cant stay healthy but when he plays is a starter anywhere else, his minimum is getting up there though

Anthony McCoy I think it's time to move on, we now have three TE's that can play and a 4th that has progressed

Tarvaris Jackson May be the time BJ takes the reins this next year

Clint Gresham Have to have a snapper, he is signed

Demarcus Dobbs One of those last minute deals after your core is signed

Byron Maxwell I think we may let him test the market and get the compensation, he will start somewhere else

Malcolm Smith Will be signed

Michael Morgan Another filler contract

D'Anthony Smith Filler contract if we don't find an upgrade

Deshawn Shead someone I think we re sign, fills multiple needs

O'Brien Schofield Luxury for us, may re sign him if the price is right

Ricardo Lockette He has got a lot of peoples attention, may be hard to keep, getting better at WR

Jermaine Kearse He knows where his bread is buttered, he has a place here if he wants it

Steve Schilling friendly contract for more development, I think he has promise

Greg Scruggs He showed flash and then hurt again, possible cheap resign

Will Tukuafu would love to see him back

David Gilreath probably a filler contract if brought back at all

Tony Moeaki hope we can get him right, made a difference for us, would rather have him then McCoy at this point

Bryan Walters Don't think there will be room next year

Sidney Rice retired?

Landon Cohen gone

Stacy Andrews gone

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Rat":2j9stbg7 said:
Suh! Suh! Suh!

That'd be awesome, but Suh's an UFA............and there are a LOT of teams out there with way more cap space than us. Dude's gonna get paid, so I think we're priced out of this market.

kearly

Reaction score
Seattle has the money to go after Suh, but it would probably mean no extensions for Lynch and Okung.

If there is a bidding war for Suh and he signs on the first day of FA, I think Seattle would be out for sure. But if he hangs around the way Jared Allen did last year, things could get interesting.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I'm not a mathematical genius but...

In the over the cap link, Seattle is at almost 119 in cap.

2014 cap was at 133.

133-119 = 14 million.

14 + 5 million (in Roll over space) = 19 million

Google 2015 Expected Cap numbers puts the cap at 140 million (+7 increase).

19 + 7 = 26 Million.

Most Hypothetical Cuts

............ Savings (Dead Money)
....Lynch: 7.0 m ( 1 m)
Mebane: 5.5 m (200 K)
...Okung: 5.0 m (2.28 m)
...Unger: 3.4 m (2.2 m)
...Miller: 3.0 m (1.0 m)
McDaniel: 3 m (625 K)

Also note: that Unger is the only guy on this list that I believe is not in the last year of his deal. So if the Seahawks designated him has a post June 1st cut his number change:

Unger: 4.5 m (1.1 m in 2015, and 1.1 m in 2016)

For now let's say the Seahawks and Lynch is a wildcard decision either/or depending on how Lynch feels about his body.

Mebane and Okung while would add big money don't have viable contingency plans in place to really "move on" from their talent. And as other have said Okung is pretty cheap, you can see if he can put together a full season, and still develop a LT of the future that you could still play if Okung doesn't stay healthy.

Lets decide the Seahawks move on from the last 3 players: Unger (post june 1st cut), Miller, and McDaniel.

Those cuts = 10.5 million in cap space for 2015 = 36.5, we'll say 37 overall.

If Marshawn decides to hang them up or the Seahawks cut him, you're looking at

37-45 mil in cap.

I think the Seahawks can re-sign Wilson, Wagner, Irvin, and Sweezy... with only using about 16 million (the sum of prorated signing bonuses) and they would be extensions, and their prorated signing bonuses would only be added to the cap that already includes their 2015 salary.

Which leaves 21-29 million left:

Hypothetical Target Keepers

Tony Moeaki
Will Tukuafu
Patrick Lewis
Steve Schilling
Lemuel Jeanpierre
Damarcus Dobbs
Mike Morgan
Ricardo Lockette/Jermaine Kearse

We'll give a hypothetical $1m cap each to 8 players, seems reasonable as some players will make more than than a mil, and some players will make less.

21- 8 = 13-21 mil left.

I think that would be enough money to make a splash on a reasonably priced free agent + plus a rookie pool + emergency funds.

My Target for Reasonably priced free agent: Larry Fitzgerald, if he would mind coming in at a huge discount to what he's used to making.

I think this could be a place he could productively retire from:

Run-Heavy System will limit use and reduce Wear and Tear
Explosive Offense will still give him decent production with less targets.
Team with the strongest window of opportunity to win a Championship in the next 5 years

If that is what he wants, he seems to have mutual respect for the Seahawks and vice versa ... so its not the biggest pipe dream.

SDHawk

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1mxfblfl said:
I'm not a mathematical genius but...

In the over the cap link, Seattle is at almost 119 in cap.

2014 cap was at 133.

133-119 = 14 million.

14 + 5 million (in Roll over space) = 19 million

Google 2015 Expected Cap numbers puts the cap at 140 million (+7 increase).

19 + 7 = 26 Million.

[...]

Hypothetical Target Keepers

Tony Moeaki
Will Tukuafu
Patrick Lewis
Steve Schilling
Lemuel Jeanpierre
Damarcus Dobbs
Mike Morgan
Ricardo Lockette/Jermaine Kearse
(can we squeeze OB Schofield in here?)

We'll give a hypothetical $1m cap each to 8 players [8 million], seems reasonable as some players will make more than than a mil, and some players will make less.

[...]

I think the Seahawks can re-sign Wilson, Wagner, Irvin, and Sweezy... with only using about 16 million (the sum of prorated signing bonuses) and they would be extensions, and their prorated signing bonuses would only be added to the cap that already includes their 2015 salary.

Using your base case assumptions, the one thing I can conclude is that there will be cuts.

After Marshawn, cutting Bane (who is going into his age 30 season) would create the most cap savings.

Pandion Haliaetus":1mxfblfl said:
Hypothetical Cuts

............ Savings (Dead Money)
....Lynch: 7.0 m ( 1 m)
Mebane: 5.5 m (200 K)
...Okung: 5.0 m (2.28 m)
...Unger: 3.4 m (2.2 m)
...Miller: 3.0 m (1.0 m)
McDaniel: 3 m (625 K)

Bane was a 3rd round pick, Jordan Hill was a 4th round pick, Justin Ellis was a 4th round pick last year.

We'll have up to five picks in the 3rd-4th round (3rd, 4th, Tate comp pick, Browner comp pick and possibly Percy conditional pick).

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kearly":24hvastz said:
Seattle has the money to go after Suh, but it would probably mean no extensions for Lynch and Okung.

If there is a bidding war for Suh and he signs on the first day of FA, I think Seattle would be out for sure. But if he hangs around the way Jared Allen did last year, things could get interesting.

They would have to cut a lot of players to sign Suh . . . not going to happen.