Hawks Most Attractive Team for New Coach?

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
I think we have more talent overall...but the chargers have a legit QB (Not a Geno hate comment...I like Geno, just not sure he's the guy).

Hoping they can entice the right guy.

Fade

Reaction score
Chargers if they are given full autonomy to how they want to do it. Herbert is why.

Seattle is #2 as they are ready to win in the near future with a lot of young pieces. If they can get their QB in this draft.

Geno is mediocre's ville.

hugecanoli

Reaction score
Great facilities. Great Stadium. Great Fanbase.

I’d say Seattle is a very attractive job.

My only concern would be ownership issues. Change in ownership usually means a clean state is looming. Who would take the job knowing this?

This is a thing I haven’t seen discussed much. Anybody think this means Jody keeps the team longer than has been reported? I know there are stipulations in the will, but I also know she was hanging on to it for monetary reasons. (Something about owing more money to the city if selling prior to a specific date)

renofox

Reaction score
Great facilities. Great Stadium. Great Fanbase.

I’d say Seattle is a very attractive job.

My only concern would be ownership issues. Change in ownership usually means a clean state is looming. Who would take the job knowing this?

This is a thing I haven’t seen discussed much. Anybody think this means Jody keeps the team longer than has been reported? I know there are stipulations in the will, but I also know she was hanging on to it for monetary reasons. (Something about owing more money to the city if selling prior to a specific date)
Most here are under the impression that she is selling soon but I have yet to see any evidence that is her intention.

I saw a statement by her that hinted/implied that it would be 10-20 years.

I think she is in a position where she is going to have to promise to not sell the team for 5-7 years to attract a top candidate.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Seattle has never been a popular attraction for either coaching candidates or quality free agents. We got Pete because he was already a West Coast guy.

And for the love of...well, you know who...if you're going to be popping bottles over Pete's removal, do NOT get caught slavering over HC candidates that have been fired from other teams. Anyone who wants Vrabel or McCarthy here and I'm gonna know that your push to get rid of Pete was just you venting your emotional frustration.

OP
OP
LeveeBreak

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
Most here are under the impression that she is selling soon but I have yet to see any evidence that is her intention.

I saw a statement by her that hinted/implied that it would be 10-20 years.

I think she is in a position where she is going to have to promise to not sell the team for 5-7 years to attract a top candidate.
I've see the 10+ years as well. I would think if they were gonna sell soon, they'd let the new buyer make the move to let Petey go...unless exiting pete is part of a deal that is the best kept secret in all of sports.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Extremely well respected GM in John Schneider staying to run the show (big deal for a more inexperienced coach), amazing facilities, die hard fan base with what should be the best home field advantage in the NFL, and a young, talented roster that needs to focus on the lines to take the next step. Of all the open opportunities I think it's the best option, obviously comes with the caveat of a pretty big move for most people to the PNW. Herbert is certainly a big attraction for LA.

renofox

Reaction score
I've see the 10+ years as well. I would think if they were gonna sell soon, they'd let the new buyer make the move to let Petey go...unless exiting pete is part of a deal that is the best kept secret in all of sports.
Good point. If Jody was planning on selling soon she would have just exercised the 2025 option on PC and let him remain til she sold.

Her decision to move on is just another piece of evidence that she has no plans to sell for quite some time.

seabowl

Reaction score
The problem with the Chargers is that they are very much over the salary cap and going to have to cut a bunch of players. Not the best place for a new head coach to be going into.

knownone

Reaction score
Given the uncertainty surrounding ownership and JS staying on board, it's not a great situation for an established big-name like Harbaugh, who'd probably want to pick their own GM.

OP
OP
LeveeBreak

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
Given the uncertainty surrounding ownership and JS staying on board, it's not a great situation for an established big-name like Harbaugh, who'd probably want to pick their own GM.
Not sure I agree. Not saying you're wrong...but JS has a proven ability to work well with a HC. For the right coach, they may give the same deal PC had with the hawks for player selection.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Seattle has never been a popular attraction for either coaching candidates or quality free agents. We got Pete because he was already a West Coast guy.

And for the love of...well, you know who...if you're going to be popping bottles over Pete's removal, do NOT get caught slavering over HC candidates that have been fired from other teams. Anyone who wants Vrabel or McCarthy here and I'm gonna know that your push to get rid of Pete was just you venting your emotional frustration.
Yeah, I don’t get the slobbering over fired coaches. Give me a young college guy or a coordinator looking for his first shot who’s going to build a tree in Seattle

mistaowen

Reaction score

That's where I'm at. It's almost an identical situation to Pete leaving USC. He's already had success in the NFL, he reached the top in college football, and IF he decides to come back to the big leagues he is going to want full autonomy of his program. No way does JS finally get his shot to run the show and hire a guy who will want to find his own John Schneider.

I want a young guy like Ben Johnson or Mike MacDonald to come in and run the X's and O's while JS gets to manage operations.

Ozzy

Reaction score

Well Pete got fired from the Jets and turned out alright. Bellicheck too.

Seattle is probably a decent spot because there is some talent but coaches want Hebert and it’s not close. Chargers will get the best candidate or possibly the Bears with their draft position. Doesn’t mean we can’t get the perfect fit for this team tho

Ozzy

Reaction score
Yeah, I don’t get the slobbering over fired coaches. Give me a young college guy or a coordinator looking for his first shot who’s going to build a tree in Seattle
I agree for the most part. Sometimes though coaches get fired because the organization is just a train wreck

knownone

Reaction score
Not sure I agree. Not saying you're wrong...but JS has a proven ability to work well with a HC. For the right coach, they may give the same deal PC had with the hawks for player selection.
Sure. But from a negotiation perspective, keeping JS on board means a coach like Harbaugh would have to want to come to Seattle and also work with JS. So, in a scenario where the coach already has a GM in mind and the pedigree to make that demand, Seattle is a less appealing situation.

This looks destined to be a prior relationship or a first-time coach hire.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Sure. But from a negotiation perspective, keeping JS on board means a coach like Harbaugh would have to want to come to Seattle and also work with JS. So, in a scenario where the coach already has a GM in mind and the pedigree to make that demand, Seattle is a less appealing situation.

This looks destined to be a prior relationship or a first-time coach hire.
I agree. Total autonomy will always be valued higher than working for a GM as you’re at the mercy of his work via drafting, FA and overall roster construction. Guys like Harbaugh probably want more power.

renofox

Reaction score
I agree for the most part. Sometimes though coaches get fired because the organization is just a train wreck
You mean like Carolina? Where the owner overrode the GM and HC and forced them to take Bryce Young instead of CJ Stroud? Then fired them because Young sucked so bad?

At least they get paid their full contracts and are probably happy they are outta there. I know Reich got a $36M parting present, not sure about Fitterer.

Ozzy

Reaction score
You mean like Carolina? Where the owner overrode the GM and HC and forced them to take Bryce Young instead of CJ Stroud? Then fired them because Young sucked so bad?

At least they get paid their full contracts and are probably happy they are outta there. I know Reich got a $36M parting present, not sure about Fitterer.
Carolina is a dumpster fire, feel bad for those fans.