Hawks opener predictions......new link added

Steve2222

Reaction score
I think week 1 won't be sexy. Either @AZ or @STL. I think for sure the home opener will be Pittsburgh in Primetime though. And I really hope for the fourth straight year we don't end with STL.

mikeak

Reaction score
rideaducati":2evw7qk7 said:
Rob12":2evw7qk7 said:
rideaducati":2evw7qk7 said:
Do we really believe conspiracy theories and that the NFL hates the Seahawks? We opened at home against the Pack last year... Did they hate us then, too?

It was the first game of the NFL season so they needed a premier matchup to showcase the sport. The first game of the season is always a good matchup on paper.

The first TNF game is the Superbowl winner. That is why we had that game last year and you try to make it a good game.

So NE this year in TNF

Separately - we won't get a division matchup. Those are pushed towards the end of the season

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":j0wgf38w said:
Seahawkfan80":j0wgf38w said:
Hasselbeck":j0wgf38w said:
Seahawkfan80":j0wgf38w said:
Upon further review....I would think either Chicago or Cleveland for the opener. Probably in our house.

Not a chance. The NFL does not schedule home games that conflict with MLB games. Hell the Ravens had to play their opening kickoff game on the road because of this.

We will be on the road.. and it's very likely in Green Bay.. with Dallas and Baltimore as the other possibilities.

The reason I said this is because there was a little series of games going on during our visit to St Louis during the season last year.......Dunno what all the hoopla was about as I dont really keep up with that stuff. But oh well. My classmates are thinking a Mariners game for our reunion or some other sort of thing. I am not sure. hmph.

Thought I would clarify why my opinion was that direction. Go..um uh...Hawks.

The Cardinals (baseball) season was over when we played the Rams last year. If you're thinking of the year before.. the only reason there was a Cardinals game going on at the same time as the MNF game was because they were in the World Series that year. That's obviously something the league cannot project with their schedule.

I guarantee you.. the first game will not be at home. Week 2 .. the Mariners are on the road. So thats very likely to be the home opener.

Also - the Orioles, Giants, Reds and Diamondbacks play at home opening weekend. So rule out the Ravens, Vikings, Cardinals and 49ers. That leaves the following opponents:

St. Louis
Green Bay
Minnesota
Dallas

Maybe the league puts us in Minnesota or St. Louis.. but I really doubt it. All signs point to the Packers and Cowboys. Thats a game that will draw big ratings.

WOW this is a great post. And very telling. For all of you. (us) that thing Seattle will get hosed. How crazytown hard is it to make the schedule, Scheduling around home baseball games, making sure every team has a TNF game, limiting East coast teams traveling west... AND all the "anti" seattle rules. Thats insane.

mikeak

Reaction score
gowazzu02":22enfsnv said:
WOW this is a great post. And very telling. For all of you. (us) that thing Seattle will get hosed. How crazytown hard is it to make the schedule, Scheduling around home baseball games, making sure every team has a TNF game, limiting East coast teams traveling west... AND all the "anti" seattle rules. Thats insane.

I disagree for two reasons

1) "getting hosed" - I think it is GREAT. I would much rather start the season with a away game where the team can focus on them and be ready come out pumped vs the alternative which is be pumped for a starting game at home and then come from a huge emotional high with the potential of a morning game on the road......

Regardless of what is actually decided I think from a team perspective away game is the best way to start the season. They will be pumped for the first game, they will be pumped for the first home game so why not maximize that and get it two weeks in a row? And yes there is a difference in how excited the players are for different games

2) Why not schedule around other sports? The league as a whole does that around College games and other sports cooperate on schedules. You may not like MLB but that doesn't mean others don't and it is better to be a partner than the bully.......

bigskydoc

Reaction score
As to the question of what previous Superb Owl losers have done the following year...

2014 - Denver opens against Colts on Sunday Night Football
2013 - Niners open against Packers* at 1:25
2012 - Patriots open against Titans at 1:00
2011 - Steelers open against Ravens* at 4:30
2010 - Colts open against Texans* at 1:00
2009 - Cardinals open against Niners at 4:15

(* denotes teams that faced off at some point in the previous year's playoffs)

So it does not appear that, at least in the last five years, there is a trend of Superb Owl losers being awarded a prime time game, save for the obvious and predictable exception of the elder Manning, or a playoff opponent from the previous year. There are no NFC-AFC matchups for the loser.

It is a little harder to say on the question of the strength of the opponent. The two NFC losers have faced strong opponents. 3 out of 4 AFC losers have had less than compelling opponents, but that might be partially due to the lack of good opponents on their schedule to draw from.

Considering all things, I would guess Green Bay or Dallas as equally most likely, with Minnesota less likely and St. Louis even less likely.

- bsd

gowazzu02

Reaction score
mikeak":2a5zxdis said:
gowazzu02":2a5zxdis said:

I disagree for two reasons

1) "getting hosed" - I think it is GREAT. I would much rather start the season with a away game where the team can focus on them and be ready come out pumped vs the alternative which is be pumped for a starting game at home and then come from a huge emotional high with the potential of a morning game on the road......

Regardless of what is actually decided I think from a team perspective away game is the best way to start the season. They will be pumped for the first game, they will be pumped for the first home game so why not maximize that and get it two weeks in a row? And yes there is a difference in how excited the players are for different games

2) Why not schedule around other sports? The league as a whole does that around College games and other sports cooperate on schedules. You may not like MLB but that doesn't mean others don't and it is better to be a partner than the bully.......

You missed the point of my post.... The fact that the NFL is scheduling around baseball and if your right. college. That just adds to the task. It's really really hard to make it all come together, so when people think "they go out of their way to screw seattle" Thats silly considering how impossibly hard it is to make the schedule.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":17mvo20q said:
Seahawkfan80":17mvo20q said:
Hasselbeck":17mvo20q said:
Seahawkfan80":17mvo20q said:
Upon further review....I would think either Chicago or Cleveland for the opener. Probably in our house.

Not a chance. The NFL does not schedule home games that conflict with MLB games. Hell the Ravens had to play their opening kickoff game on the road because of this.

We will be on the road.. and it's very likely in Green Bay.. with Dallas and Baltimore as the other possibilities.

The reason I said this is because there was a little series of games going on during our visit to St Louis during the season last year.......Dunno what all the hoopla was about as I dont really keep up with that stuff. But oh well. My classmates are thinking a Mariners game for our reunion or some other sort of thing. I am not sure. hmph.

Thought I would clarify why my opinion was that direction. Go..um uh...Hawks.

The Cardinals (baseball) season was over when we played the Rams last year. If you're thinking of the year before.. the only reason there was a Cardinals game going on at the same time as the MNF game was because they were in the World Series that year. That's obviously something the league cannot project with their schedule.

I guarantee you.. the first game will not be at home. Week 2 .. the Mariners are on the road. So thats very likely to be the home opener.

Also - the Orioles, Giants, Reds and Diamondbacks play at home opening weekend. So rule out the Ravens, Vikings, Cardinals and 49ers. That leaves the following opponents:

St. Louis
Green Bay
Minnesota
Dallas

Maybe the league puts us in Minnesota or St. Louis.. but I really doubt it. All signs point to the Packers and Cowboys. Thats a game that will draw big ratings.

It's week one, they will have ratings no matter which teams play. The Cardinals and niners don't share a parking lot with the Diamondbacks and the giants, so they can schedule those games for the same day without any problems. The NFL games will also be finished hours before MLB games are scheduled to begin.

kidhawk

Reaction score
rideaducati":3qifmzu5 said:
It's week one, they will have ratings no matter which teams play. The Cardinals and niners don't share a parking lot with the Diamondbacks and the giants, so they can schedule those games for the same day without any problems. The NFL games will also be finished hours before MLB games are scheduled to begin.

Sunday baseball games are earlier than weekday games. Here's that particular Sunday's schedule for MLB

[urltargetblank]http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/schedule/#date=09/13/2015[/urltargetblank]

Take note how the times mirror almost exactly what the NFL game times are (not including SNF of course).

mikeak

Reaction score
kidhawk":3h4ao5w0 said:
rideaducati":3h4ao5w0 said:

Sunday baseball games are earlier than weekday games. Here's that particular Sunday's schedule for MLB

[urltargetblank]http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/schedule/#date=09/13/2015[/urltargetblank]

Take note how the times mirror almost exactly what the NFL game times are (not including SNF of course).

A smart MLB and NFL team works together and make it possible to do the back-to-back thing. Then they give out some special bobble head limited edition to anyone that has ticket stubs to both games etc. There are so many things that could be done - viewing part at the one stadium for the other game or whatever.....

Instead they end up like Baltimore last year who had to go on the road as defending champions......(just realized much less flexibility there as it had to be a TNF game). Weekend games have the flexibility to work together much more

kidhawk

Reaction score
mikeak":3sz1skce said:
kidhawk":3sz1skce said:
rideaducati":3sz1skce said:

A smart MLB and NFL team works together and make it possible to do the back-to-back thing. Then they give out some special bobble head limited edition to anyone that has ticket stubs to both games etc. There are so many things that could be done - viewing part at the one stadium for the other game or whatever.....

Instead they end up like Baltimore last year who had to go on the road as defending champions......(just realized much less flexibility there as it had to be a TNF game). Weekend games have the flexibility to work together much more

It's not back to back though, unless it's SNF. The early games are at 1ish Eastern time with the late games at 4ish eastern time, with the later games being mostly the west side of the country. The games would more than likely be played at the same time in the same cities.

If they absolutely had to do it, some cities would be better than others, but with our stadiums so close, and Seattle driving and parking being in the state it's in on a normal day, it would be absurd to even attempt it.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
mikeak":wcvgf7t3 said:
kidhawk":wcvgf7t3 said:
rideaducati":wcvgf7t3 said:

It's not a case of MLB not being flexible.... the reason they schedule Sunday games during the day is the same reason alot of wednesday games are day games. To accomodate travel. Gotta get to a different city for a game the next day. Alot easier to be done and on the plane by 5pm, then it is to be finishing up the game and getting on the plane at around 11pm.......

gowazzu02

Reaction score
kidhawk":1w7httyl said:
mikeak":1w7httyl said:
kidhawk":1w7httyl said:
rideaducati":1w7httyl said:

It's not back to back though, unless it's SNF. The early games are at 1ish Eastern time with the late games at 4ish eastern time, with the later games being mostly the west side of the country. The games would more than likely be played at the same time in the same cities.

If they absolutely had to do it, some cities would be better than others, but with our stadiums so close, and Seattle driving and parking being in the state it's in on a normal day, it would be absurd to even attempt it.

It would be pretty crazy. but fun too. I went to a Mariners game two years ago the same day as a Motor cross event in Qwest..... Although Seattle was way out of it by then so they probably only drew like 20k.....

Very fun game to play "Guess the event" ,,,actually pretty easy to do.

mikeak

Reaction score
OK you guys do make sense :) -- parking would be a nightmare and travel logistics would be an issue

BUT it would be epic and memorable :)

kidhawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":11lt9kfs said:
pmedic920":11lt9kfs said:
onanygivensunday":11lt9kfs said:
I'm going to go with @Dallas... Sunday night... prime time.

This will MESS MY WORLD UP.
I won't miss that game and want to go to an early September home game.
No way I can afford both.
I pray that the Dallas game comes later in the season.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the 2x defending NFC Champs in Dallas for Thanksgiving

I think I have to take back this prediction before the release tomorrow. I just found out that it's the Cowboys year to be on CBS, which means they will either get an AFC Opponent, or something that FOX would be willing to let CBS flex over. The Seahawks/Cowboys is not going to be allowed to be flexed over to CBS.

mikeak

Reaction score
Am I wrong in that we were on the road 3 years ago for TNF (SF), Home 2 years ago and away last year (SF)

That would indicate every other year which is fair from competitive standpoint.

49ers got that home game TNF last year because they asked for it for the first year (due to lack of parking when businesses are open near Santa Clara stadium

Point being - we should be home and against 49ers :)

rideaducati

Reaction score
Breaking News: The Seahawks will open the season @ Pittsburgh.

The Steelers wanted fewer flights so that their players don't get caught with marijuana at the airport. The Steelers argued their cause by submitting that marijuana is legal in Washington state. The Steeler front office claimed that sending their players to a state that sells marijuana freely would cause irreparable harm in the form of discipline based on the league's substance abuse policy.

A team official said, "It's just too much temptation for our players."

To help their cause, the Steelers argued that the Seahawks home field advantage was so good, that to take a home game away from Seattle would only be fair to them and the rest of the league.

When asked why the Steelers should be the team to reap the reward of the extra home game, a team official said "The NFL helped us avoid traveling to Seattle four years ago when we petitioned the league so that we got that game here, so they MUST think we deserve it. We've done nothing to deserve to be forced into such a hostile environment. We took all of the Super Bowl XL referees off our payroll as we were told to do, and haven't hired any others yet." He went on to say, "We have paid dearly for our NFL record six Super Bowl victories and it's time that the NFL pay us back in some way".

The NFL and commissioner Roger Goodell agreed and has rewarded the Pittsburgh Steelers the extra home game.

Upon being rewarded the extra home game, the Steeler front office was also given the news that LeVeon Bell's suspension had been overturned and he would not be suspended. After hearing that news, the Steelers requested to play the Seahawks in the opening weekend of the season when both teams are at full strength.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
kidhawk":ih8js892 said:
kidhawk":ih8js892 said:
pmedic920":ih8js892 said:
onanygivensunday":ih8js892 said:
I'm going to go with @Dallas... Sunday night... prime time.

This will MESS MY WORLD UP.
I won't miss that game and want to go to an early September home game.
No way I can afford both.
I pray that the Dallas game comes later in the season.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the 2x defending NFC Champs in Dallas for Thanksgiving

I think I have to take back this prediction before the release tomorrow. I just found out that it's the Cowboys year to be on CBS, which means they will either get an AFC Opponent, or something that FOX would be willing to let CBS flex over. The Seahawks/Cowboys is not going to be allowed to be flexed over to CBS.
The whole "CBS has NFC vs. AFC on Thanksgiving" tradition is gone. Last year all three Thanksgiving games were NFC divisional matchups.