Hawks-Taking a page from Patriots offense?

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Tical21":2qofc248 said:
Teams aren't going to play nickel against us until we exploit their base defense. They're still going to try to stop Marshawn first. Rest assured there will be no philosopical change. We tried that once. Hopefully we become a better version of ourselves. Remember guys, Lockett is a backup to our best receiver. He is playing the Bryan Walters role, which of course means half the important passes are going his direction. I like the kid too, but we havent exactly featured young skill players.

I think he gets Richardson's touches, give em the short to medium passes to ease him in the game and then bust out the deep passes.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":156wzqpt said:
brimsalabim":156wzqpt said:
I think it's way way too early to have great expectations for Lockette. I don't see what he brings that is all that different from guys we already have had out there. The addition of Graham should help some by adding a quick target down the middle but our receivers will still need some routes that take them away from coverage instead of always running them into it. I know it's been explained that our routes are designed primarily to block for the run game instead of helping generate separation but we cod at least be more imaginative with the design.

LOCKETT. And you clearly havent watched him play. Not only is a game breaker threat as a returner, he does someting as a receiver our other WRs dont do well: create separation and get open.

You will come to really like this kid.
Hmm...get OUT OF MY MIND!

That boy was Kansas State even when everyone and their uncle knew exactly what was coming and having to play with horrible quarterbacks. This guy is going to shock people. Take that to the bank.

Hell, even I knew every play they were going to run before they did. And anything worth a damn was to Lockett no matter the game situation.

@Tical, Pete isn't skeered to play rookies IF they can bring it. Lockett can bring it. Just sit back and enjoy.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3h7lsa11 said:
brimsalabim":3h7lsa11 said:
I think it's way way too early to have great expectations for Lockette. I don't see what he brings that is all that different from guys we already have had out there. The addition of Graham should help some by adding a quick target down the middle but our receivers will still need some routes that take them away from coverage instead of always running them into it. I know it's been explained that our routes are designed primarily to block for the run game instead of helping generate separation but we cod at least be more imaginative with the design.

LOCKETT. And you clearly havent watched him play. Not only is a game breaker threat as a returner, he does someting as a receiver our other WRs dont do well: create separation and get open.

You will come to really like this kid.

Isn't that some kind of penalty? I just assumed they outlawed that after we lost bobby engram and djack. (I miss that guy. He had his dropsies, but pretty underrated around here, IMO)

Hawks46

Reaction score
kearly":vygdwxew said:
Seattle did start showing more of a proclivity towards the quick passing game last year. And Wilson was shockingly good at it, thanks in part to the impact of Paul Richardson on short routes.

I see Graham and Lockette as being good at both quick and long developing plays, but they both stand out the most as scramble drill players. Graham is a guy you can trust even when he's covered, and Lockette would be a nightmare to cover for five seconds and has a knack for finding the holes in defenses.

Seattle's scramble drill ability has always been below average, but last year it was especially bad. I think that played a big role in how Seattle planned their offseason.

Good post, I didn't really think of it from the "scramble drill" perspective. You're right though, look at Graham: he was Brees' security blanket and bailed Brees out of a lot of scrambles and bad situations. Brees would literally "chuck and duck" getting the ball to Jimmy and Jimmy would make him look good. I seriously expect Graham to average 14 ypc this year.

I don't think we're emulating the Pats. Our run game is still too damn good to have to worry about emulating them...they just don't have that element to their offense (although they can, they typically won't....unless the other team is just that bad against the run *cough Indy cough*).

We addressed needs and got the best players available. I seriously don't think a lot of other teams even knew Graham was available. You get a player like than whenever you can. He also addresses two major needs: a large red zone target, and the ability to attack the middle of the field. Look at most of Wilson's passes and they were from the hash marks to the sidelines. We didn't do a good job of attacking the middle of the field last year.

Lockett obviously addressed a need in the return game, but he's also probably our quickest WR and the best route runner already. He's also pretty good at YAC and gets really good separation. I also think he's going to replace Baldwin and give us two years of Baldwin's production at a cheaper price. He's basically a faster Baldwin with better return skills and slightly worse hands.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
kearly":3efi1amj said:
Seattle did start showing more of a proclivity towards the quick passing game last year. And Wilson was shockingly good at it, thanks in part to the impact of Paul Richardson on short routes.

I see Graham and Lockette as being good at both quick and long developing plays, but they both stand out the most as scramble drill players. Graham is a guy you can trust even when he's covered, and Lockette would be a nightmare to cover for five seconds and has a knack for finding the holes in defenses.

Seattle's scramble drill ability has always been below average, but last year it was especially bad. I think that played a big role in how Seattle planned their offseason.
I have to disagree with you Kearly. Seattle did start using a quicker passing game towards the end of the year, but I thought Wilson looked lackluster there. He looked hesitant to trust his receivers, and his ball placement was all over the place. He was especially bad on slant passes. I do not think he was "shockingly good" he looked more mediocre, and rough in this area of his game.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
kearly":3pjmhvnp said:

I think this is particularly pertinent. I felt like Sidney Rice was our best option at that, and had harbored hopes that Harvin would be good at it last year. Rice retired and Harvin sucked at it. Although to be fair, I think Baldwin did well at it when I reviewed the all-22 footage, but Wilson didn't seem to ever really recognize him being open. Or more to the point, I didn't see him anticipate when he would emerge open.

I hope Lockett and Graham improves that ability. Wilson is extremely adept at extending the passing game. Need to have guys that can reciprocate on the receiving end. And need to have Wilson improve on this as well.

sutz

Reaction score
Not sure Seattle is emulating anything, except that they are building a team in the traditional old-school mold. Do the basics well: run, block, pass, catch, and stop the other team from doing same. Get excellent talent and use it to its strengths.

It's not really rocket science. Any type of offense can be thwarted. But the most effective offenses know their philosophy and stick too it until the last, and only get away from it when totally stifled. The short passing game is very useful, but if no deep threat is there, defenses close up ever tighter and the lanes get clogged. If the deep threat is all you have, then Ds go cover 3 or even quarters and blanket all the zones. If you only run the ball, expect 8, 9 man fronts or more.

It looks, on paper at least, that the Hawks now have weapons that can actually do all three, and maybe even threaten them on a majority of plays. It sounds exciting.

On ST, our primary 3 guys are pretty solid. Adding a good return man like Lockette could do wonders for that aspect of the game. If he can contribute on offense, it's gravy. I sincerely hope Rich comes back this year, with some semblance of the skills he was showing in the playoffs pre-injury. He was becoming positively electric. And he's not the only guy coming back from injury that could contribute significantly.

All in all, I think we have great potential, which is all any team has this time of year. :)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Errr, more like Bill Walsh offense. He was the one who perfected the TE mismatch with guys like Dwight Clark.

But yes, that's what Graham gives us.............a freaky athletic TE that we desperately need for Russell, as opposed to the midgets he's used to throwing too that can't get off press coverage.

Latest posts