Hawks terminate Baldwin and Chancellor contracts...

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2s4yctzq said:
Very sad to see but not surprising.
2 of my favorite Hawks of all time.
Absolute warriors and will forever be Champions.

:ditto:

Still, the reality had me all teary-eyed for a bit...

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Doug doesn't qualify for an injury settlement with the Hawks.

Injury settlements are for players on IR, and they have to be entered into within 5 days of the player being placed on IR (unless the rules have changed in the last couple of years).

If Doug remained on the roster, he would be PUPed.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Such a sad day. I was hoping against hope that Doug could make it one more year.

Two class guys who gave it 100% all the time. They will definitely be missed.

chris98251

Reaction score
So it appears the Seahawks did him a favor doing it now and themselves a favor later in cap savings.

Good for them and Doug

Will miss them both.

sutz

Reaction score
chris98251":1t4qsdeb said:
So it appears the Seahawks did him a favor doing it now and themselves a favor later in cap savings.

Good for them and Doug

Will miss them both.
Schneider was saying they were in talks. Sounds like they came to a deal that both sides could live with. :2thumbs:

TwilightError

Reaction score
Both are absolute legends. Players who I will never forget. Hats off.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Maybe there is a valid reason that other teams don’t go full on in practice like the Hawks do?

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I get the feeling that Kam could be a future coach or sideline guy to help with the young guys and get into that side of the game. I don't get that impression with Doug. With the interest he has taken in social issues etc, I think his interests lie in things outside of football.

Seahawk

Reaction score
Kam and Doug, thanks for the great memories and awesome plays.

pmedic920

Reaction score
DJrmb":1npwkw7y said:
From what I've heard the team did Doug a solid by releasing him rather than him having to retire. By releasing him he is guaranteed to keep all his signing bonus (something they could have gone after if he was forced to retire instead) and he is also protected injury wise if he is unable to play anymore (retiring would have waived any right to an injury settlement).

This is what I understood as well.
I’m thinking the team did what’s best for Doug in the situation as it is/was.

It’s my opinion that anyone that thinks the Hawks “screwed” DB simply doesn’t understand how it worked.

Obviously “Seahawks cut/release Doug Baldwin” sounds bad on a first take but folks really should look a little deeper before they start spewing.

sutz

Reaction score
pmedic920":2otz45o2 said:
DJrmb":2otz45o2 said:
From what I've heard the team did Doug a solid by releasing him rather than him having to retire. By releasing him he is guaranteed to keep all his signing bonus (something they could have gone after if he was forced to retire instead) and he is also protected injury wise if he is unable to play anymore (retiring would have waived any right to an injury settlement).

This is what I understood as well.
I’m thinking the team did what’s best for Doug in the situation as it is/was.

It’s my opinion that anyone that thinks the Hawks “screwed” DB simply doesn’t understand how it worked.

Obviously “Seahawks cut/release Doug Baldwin” sounds bad on a first take but folks really should look a little deeper before they start spewing.
Which is probably why they said they "terminated" his contract. More of a layoff than a firing. ;)

I go back to the interviews at the draft. Pete and John would only say they were 'discussing' the situation with Doug. That sounds to me like they were negotiating an exit strategy, not just planning to cut him.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SeahawksRawk":hp5855zg said:
I do hope to see them both on the sidelines coaching up the younger players. I know Kam did it last year. Need to keep that going.!

Two Seahawks Greats ROH for sure!

Technically Kam was still on the team last year, on the PUP list. So my guess is he wanted to be a good teammate and be present on the sidelines and in practice.

So I'd be shocked if we saw the same thing this year now that he's been released. Hopefully they will find a coaching/assistant role for him (if he wants it).

D

DomeHawk

Two things stand out to me about these two, they were REAL football players.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
DomeHawk":sx75puuq said:

For sure, and honestly I don't think we're going to see a player like Kam ever again.

For not only his size and speed at the safety position, but the league even allowing a player like Kam to destroy RB's, TE's and WR's. Half of his hits on his highlight real would be penalties now.

DJrmb

Reaction score
bigskydoc":fgcz8r8m said:
Doug doesn't qualify for an injury settlement with the Hawks.

Injury settlements are for players on IR, and they have to be entered into within 5 days of the player being placed on IR (unless the rules have changed in the last couple of years).

If Doug remained on the roster, he would be PUPed.

Right, it's not an "injury settlement" it's the "injury protection benefit" he's eligible for because of the way the Hawks released him (with failed physical status). He's eligible for extra money because of his injury and contract termination.

The Injury Protection Benefit is a benefit available to a player if he meets the following criteria: (1) Suffers an injury in an NFL game or practice which causes him to be unable to play in all or part of the last game of the season of injury, or, which results in club-authorized offseason surgery; (2) Undergoes reasonable and customary club-required rehabilitation in the offseason following the injury; and (3) Fails the club’s preseason physical for the season following the injury and his contract is terminated.

The injury protection benefit was greatly enhanced in the 2011 CBA. During the first year after the year of injury, a player is guaranteed 50 percent of his salary, up to $1 million, if a contract is in place for that year. The previous maximum was $300,000. The injury protection benefit was also expanded, and a player is now guaranteed 30 percent of his salary, up to $500,000, in the second year after the injury if he has a contract in place for that year.
http://proplayerinsiders.com/nfl-pl...s-eligible-for-new-injury-protection-benefit/

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Just because it's interesting, with the Baldwin and Chancellor cuts:

The 49ers are down to two remaining players from their 2013 Super Bowl losing roster.

The Seahawks are down to three remaining players from their 2014 Super Bowl winning roster. (the 49ers have three total players from their 2014 roster also).

Also interesting: The 49ers now have two players from the Seahawks 2014 roster, and the Seahawks also now have two players from the 2014 49ers roster.

The roster turnover in the NFL is pretty mind boggling.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":lpw4u0bd said:
DomeHawk":lpw4u0bd said:

For sure, and honestly I don't think we're going to see a player like Kam ever again.

For not only his size and speed at the safety position, but the league even allowing a player like Kam to destroy RB's, TE's and WR's. Half of his hits on his highlight real would be penalties now.
Oh yeah ..He was a treat to watch before they pussified the game..
What about the epic jump over the lineman to block the FG against the Lions?
I'll miss both players fire on the field.

Chapow

Reaction score
Two of the all time great Seahawks. They will be dearly missed.

Giphy