Hawks that never reached their potential and drove you nuts

shawnsim

Reaction score
Okay, Rick Mirer is easy.

What about Joey Galloway or Brian Blades?

Both were projected as the next great thing but.....not so much.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
kearly":1bmgnfh4 said:
I think people slightly misunderstood Storm's intentions with this thread. He's not talking about draft busts or the players who failed to live up to their draft hype. He's talking about players from anywhere in the draft that flashed exciting potential for years but never fully grasped it.

Jerramy Stevens and Anthony Simmons are probably the two most obvious choices for this (If Aaron Curry showed flashes of potential I could count them on one hand. He was terrible and I didn't think much of him before the 2009 draft either). I'm not ashamed to say that I had a pretty big mancrush on both Stevens and Simmons back in the day. They could ball- when they wanted to.

One more I'd add is Darryl Tapp. Dude just knew how to create pressure, but he could never harness that into production. It drove us Tapp defenders crazy having to cover for him year after year after year thinking that next year would be the year he'd finally turn those 35 pressures into a 10 sack season. Nope.
In this strict sense I'll go with Stevens. He could've been Gronk before Gronk instead he was.......well, we all know.

Atradees

Reaction score
I liked Fenner, Warren, Warner. All good backs.

My list: Sean Springs, Anthony Simmons. John Frieze. K. Robinson and Mike Holmgren.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Joey GoAway has my vote! And pseudo-Coach Flores, who I think may have actually still been on Al Davis's payroll the whole time he was here.

tacomahawk

Reaction score
Lawrence Jackson, another great 1st rounder by Timmmay. Man this team has had so much disappointment in its history, which is what scares the crap out of me right now. On paper we have done everything right, can everything truly align itself.

godawg

Reaction score
Anthony Simmons, Koren Robinson, and Jerramy Stevens. Aaron Curry gets the booby prize.

Subzero717

Reaction score
shawnsim":tz8y9jtn said:
Okay, Rick Mirer is easy.

What about Joey Galloway or Brian Blades?

Both were projected as the next great thing but.....not so much.

Both had very productive careers. BB is ine of my favorite Hawks of all time.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
kearly":2ju3t32h said:
I think people slightly misunderstood Storm's intentions with this thread. He's not talking about draft busts or the players who failed to live up to their draft hype. He's talking about players from anywhere in the draft that flashed exciting potential for years but never fully grasped it.

Jerramy Stevens and Anthony Simmons are probably the two most obvious choices for this (If Aaron Curry showed flashes of potential I could count them on one hand. He was terrible and I didn't think much of him before the 2009 draft either). I'm not ashamed to say that I had a pretty big mancrush on both Stevens and Simmons back in the day. They could ball- when they wanted to.

One more I'd add is Darryl Tapp. Dude just knew how to create pressure, but he could never harness that into production. It drove us Tapp defenders crazy having to cover for him year after year after year thinking that next year would be the year he'd finally turn those 35 pressures into a 10 sack season. Nope.

Yea, peeps don't seem to have very good reading comprehension. The very first words of the OP were "and i'm not talking about draft busts..." so that automatically takes Curry and some of the others mentioned out of the discussion.

I'm with you on Tapp, I thought he was going to be a star.

Boiler

Reaction score
I think Mirer gets my vote. He had a very promising rookie season and only regressed from there. The only saving grace was what the Hawks got from the Bears when they traded him.

OP
OP
bevellisthedevil

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":39r7slv0 said:
Peter Warwick always seemed like a guy with a ton of potential that couldn't ever put it together. Someone mentioned DJ Hackett, and I agree.

Wasn't it Peter Warrick? I forgot about him. I remember seeing flashes from him also but never turned into anything.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
storm74":2juyiymw said:
peachesenregalia":2juyiymw said:
Peter Warwick always seemed like a guy with a ton of potential that couldn't ever put it together. Someone mentioned DJ Hackett, and I agree.

Wasn't it Peter Warrick? I forgot about him. I remember seeing flashes from him also but never turned into anything.

He was my favorite player in college football when he was at Florida State. I was really excited when we got him from Cincinatti. Never did really do much as a Hawk though, other hten having those awesome shoes with the mirrored bottoms.

OP
OP
bevellisthedevil

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
Ray Roberts way another guy that pissed me off. We drafted him in the first round he absolutely sucked for us for 4 years and then was pretty productive for Detroit for the rest of his career.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Koren Robinson- He was one of the most talented WR's we have ever had, he had good size, great speed, could make some amazing catches, could take any ball to the house, yet he could never put it together. He had a few incredible kick returns and a few quick slants to the house. He was my favorite player on the Seahawks. He totally and completely let me down I don't think he strung together two 100yd+games once in his career. Very very frustrating and I think Holmgren gave him too many passes, should have laid the hammer on him right from the start and his career might have been much different.

Jeremey Stevens- Was amazing in college and has forever tampered my excitement for draft picks. I was in the hospital the day he was drafted and literally yelled with excitement when we got him. He had the size, speed, and talent to be one of the best TE's ever. He was just way too immature and had too many drops or penalties in crucial situations. He was a guy who would be unstoppable one game and you'd shake your head the next wondering what the heck is wrong with this guy.

Shaun Alexander- I know he is one of the best RB's in the NFL while he was playing but he is a perfect cause of a guy who never reached his potential and cause much frustration for Hawk fans. During our Superbowl season "Alexanders Contract Year" he was a tough runner and played to his potential. Could you imagine if the 3 years prior or even for 1 or 2 years after if he had played with the same toughness and will to fight for an extra yard as he did that year, he would likely be going into the Hall of Fame. He drove me bat $hit crazy ever time he'd fall down for a loss by a arm tackle from a CB or Safety, or when he'd qb slide instead of lowering his shoulder to get the 1st down, or even when he'd slide out of bounds instead trying for the first. Alexander had all the talent in the world and one of the best offensive lines ever assembled and could have set multiple rushing records but he ran scared and never lived up to his potential.

Curry was disappointing but never really felt like he was or could be something incredible

Tate has also been very disappointing, the expectations were high coming out of ND as a Steve Smith type and big play ability, I think he has flashed some playmakers potential but hasn't been consistent enough, so I'd say he has been frustrating that he is getting a ton of reps and is not cemented himself as a consistent playmaker game in and game out.

Greenhell

Reaction score
HawkWow":26qssrme said:
TeamoftheCentury":26qssrme said:
HawkWow":26qssrme said:
The big O lineman from Wisc. I've forgotten his name (Mc...?). Warren was actually very productive for us but yes, he was frustrating as well. Koren has to be on this list. Fo sure. Anyone remember that Curry guy? I won't delve into the QBs. This could end up the longest thread in .net history.
you mean Chris McIntosh? Drafted the same year as S. Alexander. year 2000 - 22nd pick overall. started 10 games, played in 14. he had bad knees, IIRC
I remember thinking that was a waste of a pick at the time.

Was it is knees?? I thought it was neck. Apparently he was a mess. I hope he is doing well with whatever occupation he secured. I hate to pick on the guys that were injured. I'm going to shy away from this (excellent) topic. Too depressing. Putting all that behind us now. ;)

I have no recollection of knees but neck for sure.

Vetamur

Reaction score
Seneca Wallace. I kept waiting for Holmgren to finally just use him a bunch... Returning punts, WR, etc.
Holmgren kept thinking about it but as he got older he got more and more cautious.
Then when a bunch of injuries finally meant Seneca was going to START a game at WR he hurt himself in warm ups.
Wallace's whole career is a big "what could have been..".