HC Mike MacDonald on QB Competition

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
Give him a shot, he's pretty damn good. Looking forward to seeing what he can do.
I plan to.

I'm concerned that without his security blanket of DeBoer and a head coach who is a defensive guru, he will not have anyone to lean on. He's all out there on an island by himself.

Last edited:

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
So...you don't like Grubb?

Just to clarify - when you say "own" are you talking ground breaking new scheme built from scratch?

How many OCs in the NFL have developed their "own" offensive scheme that isn't borrowed/adapted/tweaked from a mentor or some other coach they've worked under?

GemCity

Reaction score
Geno sucked for nine years and wasn't well thought of in NY or LA.

He had a full year to learn Waldron's offense as a backup but when Wilson left, Waldron had to dumb down the offense for Geno because it was too much. Waldron called in the play and gave Geno one extra play to audible if need be.

I think Geno called an audible like five times all last season.
Six times. You missed the “oh my gawd” audible because the ball was snapped too early .

nanomoz

Reaction score
I'm curious about something here. Mike MacDonald was playing coy about the status of Geno Smith as a starter earlier in the year. Now all of the sudden he is named undisputed starter. The trade for Howell is even more confusing, I'm wondering if they had something lined up that fell through. Every month it feels like they're flipping back and forth on the status of Geno Smith.
When Minnesota landed that 2nd first, I decided that there appears to be a trade up bidding war that we can't win.

Hotchy

Reaction score
OK Know-it-all Who You Got that's BETTER >>AND<<IS AVAILABLE?...I can say without a shred of doubt that your answer is NO ONE.
JS., MM., & RG K-N-O-W where they stand, and WITHOUT QUESTION Geno is THEIR BEST OPTION at this juncture.
OH AND, if Geno is your idea of a "Girlfriend"?!? You have issues LOLOLOLOL
1st of all, uppercasing your words doesn't win arguments. And laughing at your own comments tells me you have the issues.
And who do I got? Sam Howell. You know, that young kid they just traded for. So I'm not sure how you say "WITHOUT QUESTION"when we haven't even seen him with DK and company yet.

Seahawker

Reaction score
I would like to see them whether at 16 or after a small trade down, to take Penix or whatever QB they like in the 1st.
Then take the best O-Lineman we can find with our 2nd pick. Carry three QB's for Geno's final year and bolster this offense into a higher functional potency.
This will likely be our best chance to snag a high caliber QB for some time.

For the defense I'd like to see Macdonald roll with the limited roster moves JS can muster up. Try to improve this defense through low profile personnel & effective schemes. See who can play and do some weeding in the 2025 offseason, using MM's 2nd offseason to plug holes in free agency & the draft.

JS shouldn't worry about not having a 2nd round pick or even adding more picks. If John Identifies a QB he likes, he should strike while the iron is hot at #16 & not worry about him being a bust.
Ramping this team up into contention will take two years and once we get some cap relief from dead $ falling off, we will be able to extend some of the one-year prove it deals and sign a couple young dogs with the extra cash.

This is John's chance to really show what he's got and put his stamp on this team.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Penix will likely be gone by 16 after his recent strong pro day.

FraudCarroll

Reaction score
If Michael Penix stayed at Indiana, and balled the same way, Seahawks fans wouldn’t care about him. It really is the Uw connection. Not even just here, but where there’s Seahawks fans, there’s always a group who hardly watches cfb that wants you to draft the qb of their team they don’t watch for a school they didn’t go to. The asphyxiation on him from the base is annoying.

xray

Reaction score
According to the experts , this years draft will have the best crop of QBs in quite awhile . If the Hawks don't draft a good QB prospect this year , then when ? We ain't getting any younger here . :)

BlueTalon

Reaction score
According to the experts , this years draft will have the best crop of QBs in quite awhile . If the Hawks don't draft a good QB prospect this year , then when ? We ain't getting any younger here . :)
I think JS views Howell through exactly the same lens he saw Lock. He assessed Lock as if he were in the same draft class of QBs the year he acquired him. He's looking at Howell as if he was available in this year's draft. Looking at the draft board and at the other QBs available that he thought he had a shot at, he decided Howell was as good as anything he'd be likely to get, with the added benefit of a year's worth of NFL starting experience. I'm OK with that. This time last year, Bryce Young was a sure thing "according to the experts."

He still might get a QB if the right guy is available at the right time.

Seahawker

Reaction score
I think JS views Howell through exactly the same lens he saw Lock. He assessed Lock as if he were in the same draft class of QBs the year he acquired him. He's looking at Howell as if he was available in this year's draft. Looking at the draft board and at the other QBs available that he thought he had a shot at, he decided Howell was as good as anything he'd be likely to get, with the added benefit of a year's worth of NFL starting experience. I'm OK with that. This time last year, Bryce Young was a sure thing "according to the experts."

He still might get a QB if the right guy is available at the right time.
Most people knew B. Young wasn't a top pick, if even a 1st rounder. The Texans were gifted Stroud. Some franchises...

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Then why do they bother having them?
Similiar reason to why is there a combine which originally was for medical checks and has progressed to a televised event for the fans. With Pro days the player is in control and will always look better the combine is run by NFL coaches

40 yard dash times at the combine is computer controlled while the times at a Pro day are hand timed the difference can be as much as .1-.2 seconds with the times at the pro days being faster. The one advantage I could see with the pro days is interviews with the players can be longer