He won't win MVP, but nobody is outplaying Russell Wilson

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
fridayfrenzy":3vlm0usi said:
Who has more rushing yards. More rushing TDs? More passing TDs? A better offensive team rank? A division title? conference top seed? better record?

I can cherry pick stats too.

The first two stats do have some weight, but are primarily running back stats. Would you tout Peyton Manning's rushing yards and rushing touchdowns when championing him as an MVP candidate? The third they are separated by two. The last four are team stats. Would you have listed the team's 2-14 record as a reason Cortez Kennedy shouldn't have won MVP in 1992? The stats I listed are the main stats used in determining how well a quarterback is playing, and Wilson is the clear leader in those.

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":2ledn83v said:
fridayfrenzy":2ledn83v said:
Who has more rushing yards. More rushing TDs? More passing TDs? A better offensive team rank? A division title? conference top seed? better record?

I can cherry pick stats too.

The first two stats do have some weight, but are primarily running back stats. Would you tout Peyton Manning's rushing yards and rushing touchdowns when championing him as an MVP candidate? The third they are separated by two. The last four are team stats. Would you have listed the team's 2-14 record as a reason Cortez Kennedy shouldn't have won MVP in 1992? The stats I listed are the main stats used in determining how well a quarterback is playing, and Wilson is the clear leader in those.

The award is for MVP, not best QB stats and whether you like it or not the team's record is a huge factor in it.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
MVP was already chosen through week 10, Cam and Palmer are the two battling it out, Cam I think is the clear leader because of the wins. I could care less if Wilson wins or not, that will drive him for next year, and I can't wait to see him playing to prove people wrong.

The only issue I have is that when Wilson was playing with a good defense and run game and did nothing but win and win in his last 3 and half years no one gave Wilson any credit. Now that Cam have the same supporting cast, with an elite defense and great running game because of Cam (Seahawks running game is also good because the threat of Wilson taking off), he is all of a sudden an MVP candidate. Cam is playing great and I will give him that credit, but what about that defense?

You hear all the rhetoric against Wilson. Now Wilson finally gets to be the leader of the team without Lynch, without Graham, a defense that was affected by the Cary Williams debacle during the 4th quarter, but yet he's playing like the best player in the league in the last 4 weeks.

Fridayfrenzy is going by "what have you done for me lately" and that's fine because he's right, right now Cam is leading the MVP and the Panthers will probably go 16-0, but if Wilson keeps up the plays he's been doing lately, he can at least be in the conversation.

Vikings 2012, Adrian Peterson, they were 6-6 before pulling a 4 game winning spree going 10-6, made the playoffs, won MVP that year. They wouldn't have made it if not for Adrian Peterson, who's team had no passing game or a good defense.

Second to Adrian Peterson was JJ Watt that year, Houston had the 4th best defense by DVOA, and their offense for rushing and passing were in the middle of the pack (better passing rank, worse rushing than MIN), they were able to win because of the defense with JJ Watt and that team went 12-4.

In the end, the Sport writers will pick the MVP.

Cartire

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":3vlpc8vh said:
The only issue I have is that when Wilson was playing with a good defense and run game and did nothing but win and win in his last 3 and half years no one gave Wilson any credit. Now that Cam have the same supporting cast, with an elite defense and great running game because of Cam (Seahawks running game is also good because the threat of Wilson taking off), he is all of a sudden an MVP candidate. Cam is playing great and I will give him that credit, but what about that defense?

Truth be told, RW probably would have been in the running the last few years if Denver wasnt also having an insane year in terms of records. Cam doesnt really have massive competition in the playing field. Their team is the only one running away with anything. They're supporting a perfect record. And they dont have a 50 TD Manning on the opposite side.

Cam's not setting records in terms of previous MVP's, but no one else in the league is either. Wilson has a legit shot if he can unprecedentedly keep up his current pace, from the last 4 games, into the final stretch. Lets see what happens if RW can reach the high 30's in TD's while keeping the ints down. Then he might have a real shot. But if the Panthers go 16-0, it will be almost impossible.