Hi, I'm the Dvl Dug

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
No, I am not the devil! Just an old Marine, and we are called Devil Dogs via our historical nickname from way back in the day. Please feel free to refer to me as DD or Doug if you would rather.

Some of you may have seen my posts on 12th Man Rising in recent years, but that site transitioned to a social media only platform, and I don't do social media. That site gets kicked to the curb by me as of today....!

My favorite football topics are Offensive line, and the Defensive Front 7 players. That being said....

All my life I've wanted to see a Seahawks team with a really dominant offensive line. The 2023/2024 season might be my first opportunity to actually see that happen, so I am solidly looking forward to this season. Fingers crossed!

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Hi Doug, welcome to the funhouse. Glad you're here, and hope you get your wish this season. A strong O-line with good RBs would be a thing to watch, wouldn't it? Coupled with giving Geno more time and our WR corp, this could be a fun year!

sutz

Reaction score
Welcome DD! And Semper Fi! :)

I have high hopes for our O-line this year. Young, but with some guys with seasoning.

Maulbert

Reaction score
No, I am not the devil! Just an old Marine, and we are called Devil Dogs via our historical nickname from way back in the day. Please feel free to refer to me as DD or Doug if you would rather.

Some of you may have seen my posts on 12th Man Rising in recent years, but that site transitioned to a social media only platform, and I don't do social media. That site gets kicked to the curb by me as of today....!

My favorite football topics are Offensive line, and the Defensive Front 7 players. That being said....

All my life I've wanted to see a Seahawks team with a really dominant offensive line. The 2023/2024 season might be my first opportunity to actually see that happen, so I am solidly looking forward to this season. Fingers crossed!
The 2005 offensive line was pretty damn dominant. 3 pro bowlers at LT, LG, and C, 2 All-Pros at LT and LG, and a solid vet at RG. Even Sean Locklear had his best year at RT.

OP
OP
Dvl Dug

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
The 2005 offensive line was pretty damn dominant. 3 pro bowlers at LT, LG, and C, 2 All-Pros at LT and LG, and a solid vet at RG. Even Sean Locklear had his best year at RT.
2005 O-line was pretty good. I feel this current offensive line is almost on par with '05 talent wise, they just need more time to learn to work together. Someone said on the radio last week that NFL offensive lines only get 8 padded practices all throughout training camp, and while I knew the amount of practices wasn't enough, I didn't know that number was in single digits (Yikes).

Things I am looking for are, more push, more pulling, more depth, more longevity, more discipline (fewer flags). Speaking of flags, I believe there was only one false start penalty in three games this preseason. That false start penalty was called on a WR & RB, and not against the offensive line itself. Only two holding penalties I remember were, 1 a piece for C Joey Hunt, and RT Jake Curhan. That's pretty good.

Maulbert, thanks for your reply!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dvl Dug

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
Hi Doug, welcome to the funhouse. Glad you're here, and hope you get your wish this season. A strong O-line with good RBs would be a thing to watch, wouldn't it? Coupled with giving Geno more time and our WR corp, this could be a fun year!
Yes! Maybe even average over 5 yards per carry too.

Ad Hawk, is that a word play on, ad hoc, by chance?
If so, I like it, and it's pretty darn clever!

OP
OP
Dvl Dug

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
Welcome DD! And Semper Fi! :)

I have high hopes for our O-line this year. Young, but with some guys with seasoning.
Thanks sutz,

Agreed, and even if Damien Lewis is banged up at the start, I really like the depth. Heck I even like the undrafted rookie long snapper so far. I'm bewildered as to where the Hawks found this sudden eye-for-0-line-talent these last two seasons???

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Yes! Maybe even average over 5 yards per carry too.

Ad Hawk, is that a word play on, ad hoc, by chance?
If so, I like it, and it's pretty darn clever!

If we average even 4.5 consistently over the season, that would be a win, I think. More than 3 yards and a cloud of dust!

Yes, it is a play on words. I chose it "as needed." ;)

OP
OP
Dvl Dug

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
Mathy question for you Ad Hawk- Maybe you have an answer...
(Others feel free to chyme in)

NFL teams always look at average yards per carry. Yet, I think more in terms of the arithmetic mean being the more common factor that advances the 1st down chains, especially when it comes to yards per carry. Examples to follow...

RB1 - Runs 20 times in a game, but averages 2 yards on 19 carries (38 yards). Then he explodes for a 62 yard run that gives him a total of 100 yards and a 5 yard average on the day. Result, 1 first down. This is my example of, Average.

RB2 - Runs 20 times in a game, but all his runs are for between 4 to 6 yards. Most of those runs being closer to exactly 5 yards, and he gains 100 yards during the game. Result, 10 first downs. This is my example of, Arithmetic Mean.

Question being, I've never seen any online statistical site that tracks & compares Arithmetic Mean, versus average, have you?

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Mathy question for you Ad Hawk- Maybe you have an answer...
(Others feel free to chyme in)

NFL teams always look at average yards per carry. Yet, I think more in terms of the arithmetic mean being the more common factor that advances the 1st down chains, especially when it comes to yards per carry. Examples to follow...

RB1 - Runs 20 times in a game, but averages 2 yards on 19 carries (38 yards). Then he explodes for a 62 yard run that gives him a total of 100 yards and a 5 yard average on the day. Result, 1 first down. This is my example of, Average.

RB2 - Runs 20 times in a game, but all his runs are for between 4 to 6 yards. Most of those runs being closer to exactly 5 yards, and he gains 100 yards during the game. Result, 10 first downs. This is my example of, Arithmetic Mean.

Question being, I've never seen any online statistical site that tracks & compares Arithmetic Mean, versus average, have you?

This would be a great thread to put in the main forum. Ask it there, and let's discuss. I think you'll get a lot of agreement, especially in light of RBs like Penny who would be your RB1 example.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score

Welcome DD.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
DD I hope you like it here it's very different then Seahawk Blue but you articulate well even if you disagree with me so I'm fine with that and we need more people like that here.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Lots of people here disagree with me but I've been told by posters I respect I have good football knowledge and make reasonable and solid posts and it seems alot of the guys just straight like me and look forward to what I post next.