Hockey for idiots?

pmedic920

Reaction score
I’m going to be doing some research but maybe we could have a good bit of discussion here?

In light of the Krackens success I like @Aros am starting to notice hockey more and I’m becoming a bit of a fan.

Other than the very basics I’m ignorant to a lot of the rules and intricacies of hokey.

My wife has absolutely zero interest and I have nobody close to watch Hockey with, I’ve got one buddy that a huge Hockey guy (Blues Fan) but we live a couple hours apart so we don’t get together often. When we do get together we enjoy good bourbon and the conversation usually doesn’t stay focused enough for me to get a solid hockey lesson.

Anyway maybe we can have an honest Hockey for Idiots conversation here?

3 of the things I’ve struggled with (amongst many)

1) Icing, what constitutes it?

2) off sides (I saw a goal reversed because it it.

3) why “delayed” penalties

Please feel free to have a bit of fun here while keeping in mind that I’m not the only Hockey idiot round these parts. This conversation could help several of us.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Icing is when you hit the puck and it goes all the way to the other end of the floor. It's a penalty because it bogs down the flow of the game . That's what I understand anyway I'm not a huge hockey fan I usually just watch the playoffs

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
1. When the puck is untouched being passed from red line to red line. Here's a good picture to explain.

Hockey icing guide

2. Offsides is when one or more players crosses the blue line before the puck is put into the attacking zone.

What offsides looks like

I assume you meant the Colorado goal in the last series called back? Even the smallest inch of skate has to be touching the blue line for there to be no offsides if the player is ahead of the puck.

3. Delayed penalties are like in a soccer match when the refs lets the play continue after the penalty if the team possessing the ball is still in a dangerous attack sequence.

In hockey it's even more clear cut. If the team has the puck the ref will let the play go on until the offending team has taken it away or the puck possession is lost.

In essence, gives more time for a scoring opportunity to happen before play is stopped and the penalty is called.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I've been watching a lot of hockey since the Kraken started, but I still get confused with what constitutes most penalties. Cross-checking, hooking, elbowing, clipping, etc.

Sometimes yeah it's super obvious. But most of the time I'm like "eh, I really don't see it?"

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Appreciate that! The game itself is exciting to watch as it's so fast-paced, and it certainly helps to have a cool new home team to fall in love with to want to take the time to learn the sport.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I went to a Seattle Thunderbirds game back in the Key Arena days and I was shocked how fun it was to watch in person. I can't wait to take in a Kraken home game one of these days, I can only imagine how awesome that will be with the crowd, new stadium and great quality product on the rink.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I went to a Seattle Thunderbirds game back in the Key Arena days and I was shocked how fun it was to watch in person. I can't wait to take in a Kraken home game one of these days, I can only imagine how awesome that will be with the crowd, new stadium and great quality product on the rink.

We were season ticket holders for the Tacoma Rockets for a long time, and we'd always try to travel up to Vancouver once or twice a season to take in a match. Those were always fun trips.

IMO it's the best in person sport to watch. Haven't been to a Kraken match yet, not paying $300 a seat. Or $150 for nosebleeds.

Hopefully once the crazy honeymoon ticket price phase goes away, we can all get more reasonably priced tickets.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Another point to make on icing... when a team is shorthanded (by virtue of a penalty), icing is legal.

It's the primary defensive strategy for the team trying to weather the storm with one (or more) of their players in the penalty box.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Hooking is using your stick to impede the progress of an opponent.

It typically comes into play when an opponent is in control of the puck, advancing toward the net, and is skating ahead of the defender.

Egregious hooking (or tripping) can result in a penalty shot being awarded to the offended team.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
A further comment about delayed penalties... the analogy in football is offsides or encroachment. Football referees allow the play to continue even though an infraction has occurred. Similarly, the hockey referee allows play to continue as long as the offended team maintains possession of the puck (or scores a goal). If a goal is scored, the penalty is waived off.

A delayed penalty is indicated by the referee holding up one of his arms.

Threedee

Reaction score
3. Delayed penalties are like in a soccer match when the refs lets the play continue after the penalty if the team possessing the ball is still in a dangerous attack sequence.

In hockey it's even more clear cut. If the team has the puck the ref will let the play go on until the offending team has taken it away or the puck possession is lost.

In essence, gives more time for a scoring opportunity to happen before play is stopped and the penalty is called.

Thanks. I have been unclear about delayed penalties ever since I went to a Thunderbirds game in 2011.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Another point to make on icing... when a team is shorthanded (by virtue of a penalty), icing is legal.

It's the primary defensive strategy for the team trying to weather the storm with one (or more) of their players in the penalty box.
Beat me to it. Saw this after I posted.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Our announcers are amazing at explaining rules to newer fans. And all while not making them feel stupid. A huge reason I'm much more comfortable with the rules than I was last season.

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
yup. And that 2nd goal that Colorado had in game 7 was clearly offsides, wasn't even close. Made the overturn pretty easy.
So the puck has to cross the blue line BEFORE any player that doesn’t have control of the puck crosses it.

If the player in control of the puck was to pass it backwards across the blue line he would be called offsides ?