Hockey for idiots?

Rainger

Reaction score
Icing really is quite simple you can not pass the puck over TWO lines when you are at FULL strength if it will go past the line behind the goal.

In the past teams would RACE to get there first, so if you passed it over two lines and your guy got to the puck behind the goal line first then there was no icing.

But like all sports to speed up the game or stop injuries the Linesmen make a judgment call that the team shooting the puck in CANT get there first. As mentioned before if it is on net it is not icing.

One last thing if you shoot it over the two lines and someone can tip or the D could have intercept the puck the Linesmen can call it off.

Rainger

Reaction score
Not dropping names but I have mentioned before on this site my grandfather was AL Leader, who was the president of the Western Hockey League when it was a pro league.

He is in the Hockey hall of fame. My second cousin is (I was told by my deceased dad) is Guyle Fielder who was the scoring champ for the Totems.

Al Leader was from Leader Saskatchewan in Canada. Then moved to Seattle. Obviously as a young man I went to every Totems game, and played hockey in Burien.

If you are now getting into Hockey you should get on the net and find out about the RICH history of Hockey in Seattle, even more than just the Metropolitans.

I am happy so many on this site are now getting into this team. I have waited 53 years for this as I was beside myself when the NHL undermined the totems and gave the expansion to the Vancouver Canucks in 1970.

Get into the game, it is a tough , fast paced, heart stopping game.

Last edited:

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I used to rent here hockey video games when I was a kid and would constantly be penalized for icing, and could never figure out wtf it was.

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
Same. Years ago got tickets to a Silvertips game a couple rows behind the goal. Been to NFL, MLB, and NBA games and live hockey beat them all, even though I had no idea what was going on.

Probably the only sport that is more exciting live than on TV.
IDK bout that, I can’t hardly watch a regular season baseball game on TV but throughly love going to the Park.

I’m not even a BB fan but always enjoy a day at the BB park.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
The movie Wayne’s World paid Tribute to that very thing.
Probably went over the heads of many non-Canadians.
Also, they hung out at Stan Mikita Donuts, riffing on every Canadian's favorite donut shop, Tim Hortons(Tim played for the Leafs and Sabres)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
IDK bout that, I can’t hardly watch a regular season baseball game on TV but throughly love going to the Park.

I’m not even a BB fan but always enjoy a day at the BB park.

As a Sounders season ticket holder, IMO soccer is WAY better in person as well.

Honestly, funny that I'm saying this on the Hawk forum..........but really the only sport I enjoy more on TV than in person is football. Not that I don't still enjoy going to a game or two each year, but with how amazing the product of football is on TV now with our giant 4K TV's, surround sound, HD signals, etc?

I'd much rather watch on TV over freezing my ass off in the nosebleeds at Lumen with a better view of the planets rotating than what's going on the field.

But if I had to rank best in-person sports to watch? Hockey would be #1. The size, speed, ballet like violence and sounds just can't be duplicated on TV.

Rainger

Reaction score
Nah, icing isn't simple at all :)
Well the rule is, how refs use discretion (their judgement isn't)

Same with tripping, cross checking, etc etc. The refs can call it when and if they want.

There are thousands of sticks across backs when fighting for the puck that are not called, but it doesn't stop it from being cross checking.

This is what has happened across all sport codes. The rules are such that a referee can use their judgement or bias in most calls or non calls.

There is NO worse penalty in all sports than "holding the ball" in Aussie rules where by the Ref calls it when ever he wants or doesn't call it even when it is blatant. It has been discussed about the ambiguity of the rule since 1927 and the rule has never been changed or dropped.

Last edited:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Well the rule is, how refs use discretion (their judgement isn't)

Same with tripping, cross checking, etc etc. The refs can call it when and if they want.

There are thousands of sticks across backs when fighting for the puck that are not called, but it doesn't stop it from being cross checking.
True. What I’ve noticed is very inconsistent officiating. Much like the NFL.

Rainger

Reaction score
True. What I’ve noticed is very inconsistent officiating. Much like the NFL.
You are bang on. Trust me the refs of the NHL can steer a result just as easy as the refs in the NFL, NBA, AFL, NRL on and on.

But I guess I shouldn't say that because there are people that think that all Refs are 100 percent honest to the exclusion or the rest of society and only make mistakes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
Rules about touching puck with hands?

I’ve seen guys catch and drop, or swat down a puck with their hands.

What’s the rule, it appears that hand touching this allowed in certain situations?

CactusJack

Reaction score
As a Sounders season ticket holder, IMO soccer is WAY better in person as well.

Honestly, funny that I'm saying this on the Hawk forum..........but really the only sport I enjoy more on TV than in person is football. Not that I don't still enjoy going to a game or two each year, but with how amazing the product of football is on TV now with our giant 4K TV's, surround sound, HD signals, etc?

I'd much rather watch on TV over freezing my ass off in the nosebleeds at Lumen with a better view of the planets rotating than what's going on the field.

But if I had to rank best in-person sports to watch? Hockey would be #1. The size, speed, ballet like violence and sounds just can't be duplicated on TV.
Well said.

Football is really the only sport that I can sit & watch an entire game. Not lose interest. Because the game is made for television.

Soccer is boring. Hockey less so in person.

The one thing holding the sport of Hockey back imo, are the long intermissions. It's not great for the TV viewers.

Last edited:

onanygivensunday

Reaction score

What’s the rule, it appears that hand touching this allowed in certain situations?
Haven't read the rule itself but have watched hockey starting in the early 60s... essentially, players other than the goalie can touch the puck with their hands provided they don't redirect the puck. They can only stop the path of the puck so that it falls to the ice at their feet.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score

All skaters (non goalies) can catch the puck but they must immediately drop it to the ice or the blade of their stick. You are not allowed to hand pass the puck to another player if you are a skater.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Well said.

Football is really the only sport that I can sit & watch an entire game. Not lose interest. Because the game is made for television.

Soccer is boring. Hockey less so in person.

The one thing holding the sport of Hockey back imo, are the long intermissions. It's not great for the TV viewers.
The long intermissions have always thrown me for a loop.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
One more subtle change they made to the icing rule in order to help offense. If you ice the puck you cannot substitute the guys on the ice. So it can't be used as a strategy to get tired players off the ice.
This is why sometimes you will see a coach use his only time out earlier than you would think in a game. He doesn't want to risk having tired guys on the ice vs fresh guys on the other team. Calling a time out is the only way to make a change.

Another thing I will add to the rules abut not being to touch a puck with a high stock or using your glove to move the puck. If the opposing team touches the puck next after the high stick or gloved pass, it's "waved off" and they will play on.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
There is a functional reason to have the intermissions thought to reflood the ice. Without that the quality of play would deteriorate as the game went on. Imagine hockey's equivalent of playing on that crap turf in Washington.

I don't know the the science of it enough to know if they could shorten the intermission and still get the ice taken care of

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
There is a functional reason to have the intermissions thought to reflood the ice. Without that the quality of play would deteriorate as the game went on. Imagine hockey's equivalent of playing on that crap turf in Washington.

I don't know the the science of it enough to know if they could shorten the intermission and still get the ice taken care of
Ahh
The ole Zamboni.
Been a source of humor for years.

NSFW