"Holdout" news of Earl Thomas

WmHBonney

Reaction score
IF we are going to trade him, at least ship him to an AFC team......

chris98251

Reaction score
I seen his Statement say all the right things but the real thing is he wants to force a trade and thinks that possibly the Cowboys will come and get him. His buddies are breaking down and playing at home is a dream.

This will be ugly at some point if he starts using the media to battle for him.

Gibbo

Reaction score
Trade him.

We need picks; last season was a disaster losing valuable picks for gambles that didn’t work.

He’s pretty much the only asset we could get some decent collateral with currently.

Him or Sherm; the latter would not be valued as highly in the market anymore.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
What's really at play is whether Earl can give us high level, A- minimum play at that position for 4 years. Our system is highly dependent on a FS with speed that can run sideline to sideline in no time flat....seeing as we use a lot of single high safety and bring the SS(usually Bam Bam) to stop the run or press the TE.

I just have my doubts as to whether Earl will lose a step or not

massari

Reaction score
Hopefully multiple teams like the Falcons and Cowboys get into a bidding war....

Have a feeling JS is gonna get fleeced regardless though.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
Time to let him go.

He wants out and the Seahawks need cheaper and younger talent.

Bobby Wagner is the face of the Seahawks defense.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Our defense is NOT hinged on the FS position.

Our defense is one of the most conservative there is, being cover 3. It's NOT a single high, which is cover 1. We run cover 1 about a quarter of the time, but it's usually an uber conservative 3 deep. That's why a guy like McDougald can play the FS position well enough to where you don't notice.The conservative nature of this defense stresses the MLB, SS, WLB and either a SLB or NCB. The 4 guys who are stretched thin on the underneath to mid routes have some of the most difficult jobs because we dedicate 3 guys deep most of the time.

CHALLENGE: Show me the last time Earl Thomass III made a play in coverage on the deep sideline. Also, how many INTs has he made on the deep sideline that wasn't tipped to him by Sherm?

Delving into these questions yourselves might help you come to terms with the truth. Particularly in looking at these two questions over the coarse of his career.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
Time to let him go.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
HawkNuts":2jzbnr5i said:
Time to let him go.

The latter statement is especially true and worth repeating.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
A-Dog":3ig8mdl7 said:
As far as the Cowboys as a potential trade partner:

Zach Martin, like Earl, is in the last year of his deal. The Cowboys have already given huge money to Smith and Frederick, and they have to figure out how to sign DeMarcus Lawrence. Of course there is the Kris Richard connection, as well as Earl's "come get me" comment.

Wouldn't mind seeing an Earl for Martin deal (maybe bostered with draft picks)
I’ve brought this up. If a team in the NFC really wants him, it’s going to hurt them a bit pricewise, No Stanton to the Yankee type BS. Proven quality for proven quality. Zack Martin plus draft pick(s) I’d start to listen.
If that’s too steep, then hang up the phone, no Earl for you. Best scenario is extend him and find your cap relief in other areas.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
GeekHawk":2ywb7sht said:
Bobblehead":2ywb7sht said:
Sports Hernia":2ywb7sht said:
Bobblehead":2ywb7sht said:
B* B* B*

Guy wants out and just using the pretense of holding out to veil his true intentions.. we've already seen what he wants.
If he wanted out he wouldn’t be open to an extension.

Do you know what he wants?
I doubt he will burn his options, but saying he's open to an extension and wanting to finish out his career heret does make it sound good.

It's odd that, in your initial post you would say "Guy wants out" and in your reply to SH you said "Do you know what he wants?" Do you know what he wants? :roll:

Yes, he wants to play in Dallas, he's already stated that and why would you not believe that, there was no posturing in it.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Yeah, if you want to turn this into some sort of testimony, you have the Dallas incident and then you have this stuff from the Pro Bowl. HE said it.

Hell with that. Is there supposed to be some, "Don't leave me girl" offer? Intentions are already known on his part from the horses mouth. We've NEVER had a player who's openly propositioned another team with video evidence. We've had holdouts, but not both holdout AND billboard.

Get something done and cut that off.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
Unless his skills are about to peak, I don't know why he expects his paycheck to. I'd offer him something long-term but inexpensive, and if he wants to break the bank, start taking calls. He can break someone else's.

Wagner and Sherman can lead this defense, and we still have rising stars on the D-line.

Of course this is the GM in me speaking. As a fan, I'd love to keep him in blue and green (though that Cowboys moment was unprofessional BS).

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
So if he played at his level this year for 2 more years would he be worth a 3 yr extension? He played pretty well this year. Still seemed to really have the "it" factor even after an injury.

Would he even accept a 3 year extension? Seems like our team and Earl are at a point where whomever we traded with, both teams would greatly benefit and personally that does seem pretty logical. Good for him, good for us. Let another team give him some serious bucks in exchange for great compensation. It could be a win win if everything is done right.

I'll miss him and was one of the best Seahawk of all time, I'll will revel at his Hall of Fame induction.

That said we don't know the FOs' future plans are so I guess we will have to see what plays out.

purpleneer

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":2zm2v9ax said:
WmHBonney":2zm2v9ax said:
What would Belichick do?

Trade him for multiple draft picks and draft his replacement.
He wouldn't be in the situation around Earl that we're in. He'd admit that they way we won before isn't the only way we can win. He wouldn't pretend that it's even possible in the modern NFL to accomplish the ultimate goal more than a time or two by trying to do the same things week-to-week and year-to-year.
Individually, Earl might be a guy he would work to keep, but he wouldn't have tried to have as much of a "core" as the Hawks have tried and he would find it a lot easier to do. As it is, the injury history along with Earl's physical style and small size would probably still prevent him from committing as much as it might take.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
purpleneer":1ggntaik said:
NFSeahawks628":1ggntaik said:
WmHBonney":1ggntaik said:
What would Belichick do?

Trade him for multiple draft picks and draft his replacement.
He wouldn't be in the situation around Earl that we're in. He'd admit that they way we won before isn't the only way we can win. He wouldn't pretend that it's even possible in the modern NFL to accomplish the ultimate goal more than a time or two by trying to do the same things week-to-week and year-to-year.
Individually, Earl might be a guy he would work to keep, but he wouldn't have tried to have as much of a "core" as the Hawks have tried and he would find it a lot easier to do. As it is, the injury history along with Earl's physical style and small size would probably still prevent him from committing as much as it might take.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england- ... urty-6536/

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
As good as a player as Earl is, no ONE player is more important than the team. Make him an offer, if he doesn't take it... next man up. Distractions like this kill teams.