Who deserves to be in the Ring of Honor?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I'd vote in Kam, KJ and Bobby long before I would vote in Wilson, Sherm, Lynch and Earl.

Imo, those advocating for Honor above all else have it right.
Not for me, the word "Honor" in THIS PARTICULAR matter, is for honoring the players CONTRIBUTIONS to the teams successes, NOT the Honorable or Dishonorable makeup of the person themselves.
Getting into a Liking or Disliking of the person wasn't the concept for the ROH.
I'm not a big fan of Russell Wilson for what he did & said on his way out, but the guy DID do some good things while he was here, well, for the most part anyways.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Based on that criteria, plus his significant on field performance and respectable community work, Russ will more than likely be inducted after he retires. And I'm with you, Russ was magic to watch there for a number of years and it was the best Seahawks football any of us were privileged to enjoy in our history. But, if it were up to me, I would never allow him in and I honestly don't feel butthurt about it. My reasoning is that Russ, by virtue of him being all about himself, hamstrung the team and held them hostage the last several years here. And on his way out, he passive-aggressively pushed to get Pete Carroll and John Schneider fired. I just don't think his deliberate actions to hurt this team for his own agenda qualify him to be in the same fraternity as the 15 honorable Seahawks who occupy the ROH today. IMO, it would disrespect the careers and accomplishments of those 15 men to allow someone like Russell Wilson into their ranks.

This. And ya know, someone shoulda sent a message to Earl and Russ. It DOES matter how you leave. You want your last move to be a giant turd in the middle of the field? - well don't be surprised - aside from stats and your press releases - if that's how you're remembered. And further, if people are bitter about it. People invest a significant amount of blood sweat and tears following the team - so if you want a statue or a spot in the ring - discretion is the better part of valor.

I believe it's called burning bridges.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I didn't like the way Russell left, either. To the contrary, over the course of the past year or so, I've lost a ton of respect for him, both as a player and as a person.

But despite our personal grudges, the fact is that he was a critical component in the best era of Seahawk football this franchise has ever seen, playing at the most important position on the field in two of our only three SB appearances, including our only Lombardi. He holds nearly all of the franchise QB records and, at least before last season, was a borderline HOF candidate. Like him or not, he's a slam dunk for our ROH. Same goes for Earl. It would be like re-writing history not to include them.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I would never endorse for the RoH someone who publicly flips off the team's HC (and Executive VP of Football Operations)... period.
Then I guess Doug Baldwin shouldn't be included as well -

How about Lynch? I guess this counts against him too, right? -

NoGain

Reaction score
My feelings about this stuff not related to on-field play when considering players for the ROH were summed up by Charles Barkley when he said he was not a role model and you shouldn't look for or expect that from your favorite athletes. If they are, great, but if they're not they can still be respected and praised for their athletic achievements. I suppose there are some exceptions to this, players who really crossed over some hard to ignore line by any measurable standard.

I don't see that being the case with the likes of RW or Earl Thomas, however. Sure, Earl kind of crapped on his own career and reputation at the end there, but we're talking a 7 time Pro Bowler, 3 time first team All Pro, 2 time second team All Pro, member of the 2010's all decade team, and arguably, along with Wagner and Sherman, the best player at his position during this era of Seahawk football. The guy was an awesome FS, almost never got beaten over the top, played his heart and soul out on the field, and was one the cornerstones of that legendary Seahawk D. Earl's a HOFer to me, and a bona fide ROH candidate if you put all the petty little gripey stuff to the side.

Last edited:

chris98251

Reaction score
Guys have attitudes and a edge to them, Choir boys will get you nice Photo ops, we won with attitude, if you enjoyed the game then you can't criticize them period, if you celebrated the Seahawks winning a Super Bowl the same goes.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Then I guess Doug Baldwin shouldn't be included as well -

How about Lynch? I guess this counts against him too, right? -
Yep... can't overlook the act unless perhaps, there's a public apology. That might change my mind.

RiverDog

Reaction score
My feelings about this stuff not related to on-field play when considering players for the ROH were summed up by Charles Barkley when he said he was not a role model and you shouldn't look for or expect that from your favorite athletes. If they are, great, but if they're not they can still be respected and praised for their athletic achievements. I suppose there are some exceptions to this, players who really crossed over some hard to ignore line by any measurable standard.

I don't see that being the case with the likes of RW or Earl Thomas, however. Sure, Earl kind of crapped on his own career and reputation at the end there, but we're talking a 7 time Pro Bowler, 3 time first team All Pro, 2 time second team All Pro, member of the 2010's all decade team, and arguably, along with Wagner and Sherman, the best player at his position during this era of Seahawk football. The guy was an awesome FS, almost never got beaten over the top, played his heart and soul out on the field, and was one the cornerstones of that legendary Seahawk D. Earl's a HOFer to me, and a bona fide ROH candidate if you put all the petty little gripey stuff to the side.
Excellent post, at least as far as aligning with my thoughts on the matter.

NoGain

Reaction score
Athletes being p*ssed off with the ownership and management of a franchise are about as common a phenomenon as a winter cold. Let's be real. Michael Jordan absolutely despised general manager Jerry Krause and made no secret of the fact. To this day he still holds grudges toward ownership and management of the Bulls for the perceived way he was treated. There's no shortage of such examples everywhere you turn.

Some are just a bit better at either hiding it, letting others speak for them, taking more passive aggressive shots through third party sources, or some other such tactic. But it's there. These are people of immense talent, oftentimes with mountain sized egos, and sensitive temperaments about how their talents are being perceived, treated, and compensated for.

I just can't take most of this stuff too seriously when it comes to evaluating their performance or respecting and appreciating what they did for me as a fan of the team. Michael Jordan (yeah I grew up in Chicago) was a complete ass of a human being in many ways. But the joy he brought to me as a fan of the team with his play...almost beyond compare.

OP
OP
FPD

FPD

Reaction score
It'd be cool to see John Clayton inducted posthumously.

I hadn't even thought of Clayton. Great suggestion, but I don't see it happening. Just a gut feeling.

R.I.P. Defender of the Pacific Northwest.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I respect your opinion Aros always have. But a divorce can be nice or nasty.

I would never invite my first wife to anything after she cheated on me, left me raising two boys on my own, and cheated with her own sisters husband. You can call it butt hurt, I am way past that, I call it not a person I would want to honor.

She might have been good for the first 5 years but her last 2 years destroyed her legacy and our marriage and 2 little boys and proved she was a narcissist who only cared about herself above the family.

Your saying I should Honor my wife because of her first 5 years and totally disregard what she did in that last 2 to destroy a family.

RW did the same ,not butt hurt , just taking the whole time into perspective. Yes I had the biggest man crush on RW for the first 5 years and thank him for his contribution but the last 5 soured it. Yes he helped the team a lot but he hurt the team a lot. We will never know, but looking back on it, the Hawks weren't bad because of the HC the OC the OL etc etc but rather a QB who IMHO was about himself and dragged the team down.

All this thread is about opinion, everyone is allowed theirs. The question was who deserves to be in the RoH, everyone will say this person and that person, but as @Aircrew so eloquently said it I don't believe he should be allowed to tarnish the ring.

My friend I was not calling you out specifically when I chose the word butt hurt. Truly. There ARE some fans out there that I do believe are. I stand by that but apologize if some members thought I was taking aim at anyone in particular. I was not. I was just speaking generally.

Rainger

Reaction score
My friend I was not calling you out specifically when I chose the word butt hurt. Truly. There ARE some fans out there that I do believe are. I stand by that but apologize if some members thought I was taking aim at anyone in particular. I was not. I was just speaking generally.
All cool my brother. I guess this just shows how polarizing RW can and has been. I didn't take anything personal from your posts, just passion.

I loved the man. I bought into the persona. I defended him from the day he was drafted. My posts back at the beginning were saying he was special and would be the best QB in Hawks history. I defended him up until the end. I ranted and raved that he was not getting the NFL proper accolades. I debated everyone not giving him his "DUES".

When my current wife started watching football (she is Aussie) she had no idea about the game and I was all in teaching her the game. But in the last few years even she was saying things about his game in a negative way. She saw how he bailed into sacks. She saw how he wouldn't throw to wide open receivers in the middle and she saw the downward trend of the team. She of course was not in love with RW as I was.

I still in my naivety didn't clue into how Russ was bringing the team down till the last 2 years. THEN I OPENED MY EYES! I went back and looked more carefully, and realized my lover was cheating on me. He was actively trying to change the organization to suit himself. He was flirting with others. He was blaming everyone on the team for the losses other than his play.

Then the divorce finally happened and as more and more came out I realized there was so much I didn't have a clue about. Just like my first wife he was cheating on me he was not how I thought he was, through my rose colored glasses. The truth started coming out.

That is painful to take. Is it Butt Hurt or it is sadness? But however you want to call it I realized that RW was the cancer that had hurt my beloved Seahawks for probably up to 5 full years.

Last year brought it clearly into focus when I started loving watching the games again. (yea they had a bad stretch but mostly the D not the O) However I saw that the team could be exciting and not waiting till the last 5 minutes to hopefully bail out a game. Everyone blamed PC but it really was the hero ball of RW. A game of 3 and outs followed by some sand lot hail mary to win the game.

I am rambling. Yes some nice red wine. But Looking at the whole marriage and how RW treated us especially in the last 2 or 3 years, I can not forgive him for what he became and the harm he did to this organization. (Pete partially to blame for allowing it to happen).

I am glad we have moved on, I feel real good about where the team is going. It is just like how my life turned around when I was free of my first wife and all what she did to the family. But I would never honor her just because the first 5 years were fun.

I respect all of those of you who continue a deep RW love and respect. Who still think HE was the team and they were nothing without him. That is true devotion, however I just think some need to take of the blinders. (not referring to you Aros)

But I believe like many others I think, the best move in Seattle Seahawks history was to move on from ME3, for that reason I vote he does not deserve to be in the Ring of Honor.

Last edited:

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Oh trust me, he fooled many of us. I was a self-professed Russ Fan Boy for many many years. He could do no wrong in my eyes but in the last few seasons I had to admit he wasn't all that I thought he was. I will never say he is a bad person (who would?), but he is terribly tone deaf and self serving and myopic with his visions of Legacy and Brand. I do believe that is ultimately what kept him from realizing the greatness he so desperality craves and could have achieved.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Oh trust me, he (Russell) fooled many of us. I was a self-professed Russ Fan Boy for many many years. He could do no wrong in my eyes but in the last few seasons I had to admit he wasn't all that I thought he was. I will never say he is a bad person (who would?), but he is terribly tone deaf and self serving and myopic with his visions of Legacy and Brand. I do believe that is ultimately what kept him from realizing the greatness he so desperality craves and could have achieved.
Not to blow my own horn, but I think I recognized that Russell had changed much earlier than many of my friends, a lot of whom still haven't accepted the fact that he's not the same person he was 10 years ago when he first broke into the league, that he's become obsessed with his image, that he has a much different perception of himself than how most others see him.

I attribute my clear vision about Russell to my attitude towards professional athletes in general, that no matter how much I like and respect them, I refuse to elevate them above that of the ordinary Joe 6-Pack and won't wear their name/number on my back. When you don't worship an individual as if they are some sort of deity, it's a little easier to recognize their very human faults.

Again, I don't want to sound like I'm gloating or bragging as I've been wrong about a lot of things in football and life in general. But I wasn't with regard to Russell.