Hot names for the new OC

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":322fxznl said:
TheLegendOfBoom":322fxznl said:
It’s going to be difficult to find an OC.

What kind of OC with hopes on being a Head Coach wants to be a “Yes” man and be the puppet and scapegoat to Carroll’s foolishness?

Even Carroll’s own son, smartened up and high tailed it out of here for Arizona.

Hell, Brennan, probably has a lot of ideas on how to make an explosive offense but he knows his father wasn’t a fan.

Now, he gets to expose his dad’s defense and I’m sure he is motivated to do that.

It’s hard to accept someone telling you, while you will be the OC, you will do it my way and that is the only way.

I wouldn’t want to be that person knowing you’ll be very limited on what you can do and then get canned when it doesn’t work.

Who would want that?

I think you're underestimating Brian Schottenheimer's control over the offense. He was still the playcaller, drew up his own scheme with his own terminology and his own passing concepts, and called them as he wished outside of particular situations where Pete would issue a directive.

It's not like Pete is calling the plays himself.

As far as who would want the job? Probably quite a few guys. Brian Schottenheimer, a generally unimpressive coach throughout his career, was getting head coach buzz before it fell apart this year.

We act as if this is abnormal. Coordinators rarely get absolute full control of half the team without being given some form of direction from the head coach.

Schottenheimer would still be here if he would've picked up on the fact that Russ can't read stick or mesh or any other short pattern quickly enough and adjusted, but he didn't. That's all him.
But do we actually know it was Schotty that did not pick up on Russ’ inabilities to execute the short throws?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":2ractnrs said:
Maelstrom787":2ractnrs said:
TheLegendOfBoom":2ractnrs said:

What kind of OC with hopes on being a Head Coach wants to be a “Yes” man and be the puppet and scapegoat to Carroll’s foolishness?

Even Carroll’s own son, smartened up and high tailed it out of here for Arizona.

Hell, Brennan, probably has a lot of ideas on how to make an explosive offense but he knows his father wasn’t a fan.

Now, he gets to expose his dad’s defense and I’m sure he is motivated to do that.

It’s hard to accept someone telling you, while you will be the OC, you will do it my way and that is the only way.

I wouldn’t want to be that person knowing you’ll be very limited on what you can do and then get canned when it doesn’t work.

Who would want that?

I think you're underestimating Brian Schottenheimer's control over the offense. He was still the playcaller, drew up his own scheme with his own terminology and his own passing concepts, and called them as he wished outside of particular situations where Pete would issue a directive.

As far as who would want the job? Probably quite a few guys. Brian Schottenheimer, a generally unimpressive coach throughout his career, was getting head coach buzz before it fell apart this year.

We act as if this is abnormal. Coordinators rarely get absolute full control of half the team without being given some form of direction from the head coach.

Schottenheimer would still be here if he would've picked up on the fact that Russ can't read stick or mesh or any other short pattern quickly enough and adjusted, but he didn't. That's all him.
But do we actually know it was Schotty that did not pick up on Russ’ inabilities to execute the short throws?

Seeing as he's the playcaller and he also brought a whole new passing scheme to Seattle with him... I think its fairly safe to say it was primarily on him

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":q82ojgs8 said:
TheLegendOfBoom":q82ojgs8 said:
Maelstrom787":q82ojgs8 said:
TheLegendOfBoom":q82ojgs8 said:

Who would want that?

Seeing as he's the playcaller and he also brought a whole new passing scheme to Seattle with him... I think its fairly safe to say it was primarily on him
Well, whoever is next. I hope it works.

massari

Reaction score
Chapow":5ta90x9k said:
massari":5ta90x9k said:
If PC is actually the problem, why doesn't Wilson use his power to change it? Got to believe ownership views Wilson above PC on the hierarchy.

You can't be serious?

Pete Carroll is the executive vice president of football operations and the head coach of the Seahawks.

Russell Wilson is unquestionably the most important player on the team, but he's ultimately "just" a player.

I cannot imagine in my wildest dreams that ownership views Wilson above Carroll on the hierarchy. I'm not sure there even is anyone above Carroll on the hierarchy other than Jody Allen.

"On the morning of January 9, 2010, Carroll reportedly came to agreement with the Seahawks on a 5-year contract that would appoint him as head coach. He was officially hired as the Seahawks' head coach on January 11. He was also named executive vice president of football operations, effectively making him the Seahawks' general manager as well. While the Seahawks have a general manager in John Schneider, he serves mainly in an advisory role to Carroll, who has the final say in football matters. He is one of three coaches who also has the powers of general manager, along with New England's Bill Belichick and Washington's Ron Rivera."
Marketable Hall of fame QB in his prime vs replaceable 70 year old.

N5UucpD

ludakrishna

Reaction score
ducks41468":2cnya8hp said:
Gio":2cnya8hp said:
Steichen or Anthony Lynn

Lynn would actually be a good hire, so take him out.

How would Lynn be a good hire? Did you see Chargers games this year? He makes Pete Carroll look master class when it comes to in game decision making / time management. That would be an absolute cluster pairing him up with Pete. Steichen, Pep, McDaniel or McFleur would be my preferences....but watch it be Austin Davis

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
"Seeing as he's the playcaller and he also brought a whole new passing scheme to Seattle with him... I think its fairly safe to say it was primarily on him"
I tend to agree with that view. Russ can throw short. He's just doing what he's been advised/coached to do according to the game plan and calling the plays that are sent in to him.
I think we'd have been better off had Russ been calling his own plays according to his feel of the game.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Josina Anderson reporting interest in Clemson OC/RB coach Tony Elliot. No idea if she has a real knowledge of this but that is something I could get behind. Need a guy to bring in college designs that scheme players open, not just hope they can win 1 on 1. Also Clemson's run game has been terrific.

James in PA

Reaction score
mistaowen":1dxxm214 said:
Josina Anderson reporting interest in Clemson OC/RB coach Tony Elliot. No idea if she has a real knowledge of this but that is something I could get behind. Need a guy to bring in college designs that scheme players open, not just hope they can win 1 on 1. Also Clemson's run game has been terrific.
This would be an exciting hiring for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
James in PA":2jb9vion said:
mistaowen":2jb9vion said:

I said this last time before we hired Schotty, I'd love to see one of the big collge OC's hired. Seems like a no brainer with Russell's skill set.

Too bad Sark already took the Texas job, perfect fit and history with Pete.

Anajimmc

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":mxkjlyxb said:
James in PA":mxkjlyxb said:
mistaowen":mxkjlyxb said:

I said this last time before we hired Schotty, I'd love to see one of the big collge OC's hired. Seems like a no brainer with Russell's skill set.

Too bad Sark already took the Texas job, perfect fit and history with Pete.

Well Kliff Kingsbury had just hired on at SC before going to the Cardinals.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
Pete doesn't mind an explosive offense... he just wants one that can stay on the field. The second half of the season there were too many instances of playcalling that took our offense off the field. The running game was aided only by Wilson's ability to scramble and make running gains with his feet.

Pete wants someone who is in line with his way of thinking...that's why a head coach is the head coach. If an OC has their own philosophy and doesn't jive with the HC, why WOULD they stay in that job?

While I think certain facets of the game might be passing Pete by, I think his biggest issues this year (clock management) was a result of his relationship with his OC. Plus, having Shotty in the booth and not on the sidelines hurt that, as well.

Pete will hire someone who wants to implement more of the power running game, which will open up the passing attack and so Russ will see LESS 2 high safeties on D.

That's important to the passing game, and to draining the clock. We can STILL win by 30 points, we just have to be able to get first downs on the ground.

Just my two pennies worth.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Joe_Fann/status/1349827568837410816[/tweet]

Russ is making it known: he needs to have a voice in choosing the next coordinator with Carroll.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/MikeDugar/status/1349828451235086337[/tweet]

I gotta say, my initial reaction is to disagree with Russ on this one. I think he would benefit from a better run game more than he thinks, but I'm not the expert and I'm not inclined to argue with Russ about himself. My ideal vision for the offense would be the Browns - with a slightly less good rush game and a significantly better quarterback.

There's a middle ground to be had, and I think the overall split in run/pass in that middle ground will be similar to 2020... but like, not as ineptly schemed. If they're gonna keep slingin' it, they need to hire a guy whose on-board with Solari too, those passing lanes need to be opened for Russ, and it isn't gonna work if their gaps keep getting blown apart.

EDIT: Russ also wants to make it clear there hasn't necessarily been any contention between him and Carroll - just emphasizing that they need to stay on the same page going forward.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1349831729758957569[/tweet]

ludakrishna

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":3tqu6i6w said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Joe_Fann/status/1349827568837410816[/tweet]

Russ is making it known: he needs to have a voice in choosing the next coordinator with Carroll.

Refreshing to see. This is his power move or he'll request a trade...a la DeShawn Watson

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Who would deshaun Watson like us to pick? Younger, cheaper and he will actually run the ball occasionally. That stopped with RW long ago except on rare occasions.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/mattyfbrown/status/1349840600904978436[/tweet]

Encouraging to hear Russ talk more about opening the middle of the field and getting the ball out sooner. I'd have to guess this points to some of the film guys being right about the middle of the field being taken away by defenses clogging his throwing lanes, and hints to him knowing the ball is simply being held for too long.

chris98251

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":38lmz1c6 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/mattyfbrown/status/1349840600904978436[/tweet]

Encouraging to hear Russ talk more about opening the middle of the field and getting the ball out sooner. I'd have to guess this points to some of the film guys being right about the middle of the field being taken away by defenses clogging his throwing lanes, and hints to him knowing the ball is simply being held for too long.

Yep and exactly what Pete doesn't like to do, or wants to do at the wrong time, like only when behind, not to get ahead.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
mistaowen":puy46qug said:
I could get behind this as long as Carroll does in fact realize his inept tomfoolery offensive stale game plan has got to stop. Then again, stop altogether, may be too much to ask. Subside. I guess I’ll take a decrease in Carroll’s tomfoolery.

olyfan63

Reaction score
TreeRon":3ntynsu2 said:
Geo. W Bush called plays for the Skins once in awhile. I heard he can draw some great plays.
Thought that was Nixon, not Bush.