How are we going to avoid another OL dumpster fire?

King Dog

Reaction score
I find it a little humorous that Jahri Evans wasn't even good enough to make our squad, yet started all 16 games at RG for the Saints this season.

Yes, there's a little sarcasm there.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Largent80":zdzwpoiz said:
I heard Clayton's idea of letting Odhiambo try RT or even LT. He was a rookie Swiss army knife last year, and did ok in limited action.

This is what I think will happen. I suspect he replaces Gilliam. They may or may not bring in somebody for the left side. Wouldn't really surprise me if they didn't but I'm thinking they'll probably make anothe mid-draft pick for OL.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
King Dog":30g1a36l said:
I find it a little humorous that Jahri Evans wasn't even good enough to make our squad, yet started all 16 games at RG for the Saints this season.

I don't think the interior line is the problem. I really don't. And playing Evans ahead of Ifedi would have greatly delayed his progress. Sucks but these guys kind of have to be thrown in the fire at some point.

More I think about it, the more Ifedi moving to RT makes a lot of sense if he's able to pull it off.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":wooq8zh8 said:
Sgt. Largent":wooq8zh8 said:
Two names on the FA list are intriguing to me though. Okung and Giacomini are both FA's, so I'd be fine with bringing either back on a 1-2 year lowball incentive loaded contract.

If Breno came back on the cheap, I'd be more than happy with that.. however, he's also going to be 32 next season.. how much has he regressed since leaving?

32 isn't that old for an O-lineman, and Breno embodies what our line used to be, nasty and physical.

Do I want him at RT for the next 5 years? Hell no. But I'd be fine with 1-2 years until we can find and develop the next young tackle.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The negativity here is likely justified, but the team really just needs to stolidify the 2 OT spots. The interior of the line at least

If we really pause to think about it, Fant was amazing at LT considering he hadn't played OT before and as a result there is reason for optimism about him as he gains experience. I do think the team could upgrade at LT but wouldn't be surprised to see Fant next year as the presumptive starter, and if he works out, how great would that be. Frankly, Gilliam was an incredible disappointment. He is a sure candidate for a serious upgrade. He was pencilled in as a LT before the season started but never showed he had the nasty to play well as an OLineman this season, he regressed significantly. I doubt the FO makes him a significant RFA offer.

Finding a RT is somewhat easier than fixing the blindside. All in all though I'd rather see the team build the OLine through the draft than acquire a FA OLineman unless it's really the right player, and then paying for a vet seem inconsistent with. The recent direction the team is taking with the OLine.

I remain hopeful that one of the younger players Ifedi or Odhiambo may develop as a RT and each of the interior players will improve with their run blocking. Very few here though Britt had any real shot of playing at all well as a C, but he developed into a player who was well enough regarded league wise to be a Pro Bowl alternate. If as Pete believes there is significant improvement from each of the interior players and Fant continues to develop at the somewhat amazing pace shown to now the team may just have a solid OLine next season, if the RT position can be strengthened.

There are lots of issues with the perceived talent, the coaching, but the direction looks to have some positives. Throwing $ at the OLine inthehope some magic solution may be acquired is an answer, but one that isn't a solid as acquiring and then developing our own talent. Many here don't trust Coach Cable but the FO does and they know more about what needs tobe done than we here do.

My bet is the OLine will be a lot better next season.

sondevil89

Reaction score
King Dog":zoj7vagb said:

I didn't realize he went back to the Saints, I thought he was done. Curious.

kf3339

Reaction score
Fant needs to pay Walter Jones to teach him what is really needed to prepare and play LT at a high level in this league. There is absolutely nothing that Cable can teach that Jones would not be a massive improvement over in my book.

nash72

Reaction score
jammerhawk":icy6j5ub said:
If we really pause to think about it, Fant was amazing at LT considering he hadn't played OT before and as a result there is reason for optimism about him as he gains experience. .

Wow. Fant looked like exactly what he was, a great athlete that has never played the position before. He was terrible. The fact that a basketball player was protecting our franchise QB's backside should give you an indication of how awful the other guys were.

RussB

Reaction score
They need to trade for a pro bowl left tackle. Or sign whitworth. If they dont do that or draft a good tackle. I am giving up on the coaching staff.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
nash72":mfme1j24 said:
jammerhawk":mfme1j24 said:
If we really pause to think about it, Fant was amazing at LT considering he hadn't played OT before and as a result there is reason for optimism about him as he gains experience. .

Wow. Fant looked like exactly what he was, a great athlete that has never played the position before. He was terrible. The fact that a basketball player was protecting our franchise QB's backside should give you an indication of how awful the other guys were.

Opinions vary, but I hear yours and disagree.

The whole OLine except Gilliam who WAS terrible were rookies at their respective positions, we need to keep that foremost in our minds. The Oline had it's moments of looking adequate but they were horribly inconsistent which I believe is attributable to their inexperience. Gilliam is the one T that genuinely sucked he'd already had a year at his position and got replaced and had to motivated to attempt to be physical at his position. All in all Fant played barely passable football and that from a player who hadn't played OT previously was amazing, if only just becaiuse he didn't look totally overmatched every play by experienced speed rushers. His growth was steady and although he had moments of having his hat handed to him he at times looked OK or adequate and that consisdering his experience causes me to believe he could develop. That said of course I'd like to see a Pro Bowl quality LT protecting the blindside but all in all I 'd prefer to see that player developed but the team instead of being bought at a huge cap cost.

Hyak

Reaction score
Regarding Gilliam, I will say I thought he played much better after getting his job back.

I'll be interested to see what they do in terms of bringing in additions via free agency or the draft. The problem is that everyone available in FA has some level of question marks or they'd be locked up by their current team.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
RussB":3ihku7d1 said:
They need to trade for a pro bowl left tackle. Or sign whitworth. If they dont do that or draft a good tackle. I am giving up on the coaching staff.

Well first of all... Pro Bowl LT's don't get traded. The only one potentially available is Joe Thomas, and surprisingly enough he doesn't want to leave Cleveland. Whitworth is 35 and the Bengals are even considering moving him to guard because he's lost a step at tackle.

Again.. offensive linemen are a premium position in this league. Dallas' success this season only solidifies that even more. If you look at the FA market, tackle is exceptionally weak .. but guard isn't.

That's why I think we may see Ifedi kicked over to RT in an effort to sign a Ronald Leary, TJ Lang, Luke Joeckel, etc.

I think Sgt. Largent may be onto something too with Breno. I imagine there would be mutual interest there as well. And that would allow Ifedi to stay at RG.

Rest assured though.. this team WILL address OL in FA this year. Zero doubt in my mind.

Seymour

Reaction score
Moving Ifedi to tackle would be a huge mistake. He was one of the lowest ranked guards in the NFL last season and take all those whiffs and put him at tackle makes absolutely no sense. People need to forget where he was drafted and look at the body of work. Breno I think would be the smart move, Fant has so much upside that I see him possibly being OK to leave, but I would also have a competent backup on hand because Fant could also possibly go either direction.

sondevil89

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":31gktc7g said:
RussB":31gktc7g said:

Well first of all... Pro Bowl LT's don't get traded. The only one potentially available is Joe Thomas, and surprisingly enough he doesn't want to leave Cleveland. Whitworth is 35 and the Bengals are even considering moving him to guard because he's lost a step at tackle.

Again.. offensive linemen are a premium position in this league. Dallas' success this season only solidifies that even more. If you look at the FA market, tackle is exceptionally weak .. but guard isn't.

That's why I think we may see Ifedi kicked over to RT in an effort to sign a Ronald Leary, TJ Lang, Luke Joeckel, etc.

I think Sgt. Largent may be onto something too with Breno. I imagine there would be mutual interest there as well. And that would allow Ifedi to stay at RG.

Rest assured though.. this team WILL address OL in FA this year. Zero doubt in my mind.

I have been in favor of Ifedi playing OT from the start but I get why they didn't want to do that. Ifedi played mostly in a two-point stance in A&M's spread offense but now he's had a year playing out of the 3-point stance so the transition would seem to be much easier than it was.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Moving Ifedi would probably solve nothing. Even if Ifedi were comfortable pass blocking from outside, we would still have to find a new right guard. Odhiambo was atrocious there. Moving Ifedi would disrupt the continuity we are beginning to see in the interior, would hinder Ifedi's own development, and would lead to even more problems at right guard.

sondevil89

Reaction score
hawknation2017":1j9pwnay said:
Moving Ifedi would probably solve nothing. Even if Ifedi were comfortable pass blocking from outside, we would still have to find a new right guard. Odhiambo was atrocious there. Moving Ifedi would disrupt the continuity we are beginning to see in the interior, would hinder Ifedi's own development, and would lead to even more problems at right guard.

Disagree, he had a bad last game and that is all everyone remembers. There were times during the season he filled in well. Whether he can be comfortable on the right side is the bigger question but that is much more manageable at guard than tackle.

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/210978/re ... block-for/

hawknation2017

Reaction score
sondevil89":8zxqgdxp said:
hawknation2017":8zxqgdxp said:

Disagree, he had a bad last game and that is all everyone remembers. There were times during the season he filled in well. Whether he can be comfortable on the right side is the bigger question but that is much more manageable at guard than tackle.

Odhiambo looked OK at LT for a stocky guy with arms on the short end of the spectrum. But as a guard, he was awful and on the right side just atrocious. As a RG, Odhiambo would be a huge step below where Gilliam is right now at RT and a mighty leap down from the potential Ifedi has shown at the position.

But that's only half the problem when you consider Ifedi's struggles with outside pass rushers at A&M and the fact that he is seemly a much better fit at guard than tackle.

Largent80

Reaction score
Ifedi was asked to block the dumb assed zone scheme and had trouble just as any rookie would. Glownski was having similar problems at LG and he was a redshirt rookie. Britt was good. I expect the interior to be decent. We shall see what the teams ideas are at tackle. I just hope they don't make last year's mistakes.

sondevil89

Reaction score
hawknation2017":1janz524 said:
sondevil89":1janz524 said:
hawknation2017":1janz524 said:

Odhiambo looked OK at LT for a stocky guy with arms on the short end of the spectrum. But as a guard, he was awful and on the right side just atrocious. As a RG, Odhiambo would be a huge step below where Gilliam is right now at RT and a mighty leap down from the potential Ifedi has shown at the position.

But that's only half the problem when you consider Ifedi's struggles with outside pass rushers at A&M and the fact that he is seemly a much better fit at guard than tackle.

Don't misunderstand, Ifedi isn't my ideal at RT but Gilliam was beyond bad and there isn't much out there. Most scouts had him being converted to guard in the NFL but he wasn't as bad as you say in college making 2nd team All-SEC playing out of a team with a spread offense.

sdog1981

Reaction score
sondevil89":2lm6oao4 said:
Don't misunderstand, Ifedi isn't my ideal at RT but Gilliam was beyond bad and there isn't much out there. Most scouts had him being converted to guard in the NFL but he wasn't as bad as you say in college making 2nd team All-SEC playing out of a team with a spread offense.

This was the final nail in the Seahawks Oline development coffin for me. They draft a tackle who played in space with Ifedi and they drafted a guard/tackle in Odhiambo.

Then they move Ifedi to guard and Odhiambo to the bench? Like what kind of backwards thinking is that?