How are we going to avoid another OL dumpster fire?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Seymour":3hdjxz3d said:
Moving Ifedi to tackle would be a huge mistake. He was one of the lowest ranked guards in the NFL last season and take all those whiffs and put him at tackle makes absolutely no sense. People need to forget where he was drafted and look at the body of work. Breno I think would be the smart move, Fant has so much upside that I see him possibly being OK to leave, but I would also have a competent backup on hand because Fant could also possibly go either direction.

I mean, we said the same thing about Britt last offseason.. and he overwhelmingly shocked everyone with how well he played at center. Not saying that would work again, but I think Ifedi to RT is certainly an option - simply because the FA class is stronger at guard than tackle. Agree 100% on Fant.. I want a vet swiss army knife type guy that if Fant goes to pure shit in the offseason, we can at least plug in that pickup. I think this is what Bradley Sowell was intended to be and well, that clearly did not pan out the way we had hoped. Breno would definitely render the Ifedi move moot.. and would probably come cheap, but we'll see.

hawknation2017":3hdjxz3d said:
Moving Ifedi would probably solve nothing. Even if Ifedi were comfortable pass blocking from outside, we would still have to find a new right guard. Odhiambo was atrocious there. Moving Ifedi would disrupt the continuity we are beginning to see in the interior, would hinder Ifedi's own development, and would lead to even more problems at right guard.

Lot of good guards in FA. Not many good tackles. So I would surmise moving Ifedi over would only take place if they signed a Leary, Lang, Joeckel, etc. Depending on which guard was signed, Glowinski could move over to RG as well. I wouldn't put anything off the table at this point with this FO.

Personally I want to see Ifedi at RT and I want Ronald Leary at RG. That would definitely take care of our run blocking and immensely improve our pass blocking if Ifedi transitioned ok.

Going to be a fun next few months. I just hope Matt Kalil isn't our Option A

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Anthony!":5n3wmifi said:
oh they are going to do something, get more people on defense. Thats all folks. And if by some strange change in reality they do get some oline help it will be run blockers, the fact our best offensive player is our QB not RB will not matter, the fact if we lose our QB we are done will not matter. Hope I am wrong but that is the sense I am getting. PC wants that #1 defense, and top 3 run game again. The idea of building around your best players who is your QB and receiving threats is alien to him. At least based on his history and what he has said. Maybe he will surprise me I hope so, but you know the old saying "you can teach an old dog new tricks".

I can't find any fault with that philosophy. The reason why this season turned out as it did was that both of those things didn't happen. In the past when they have fielded a #1 defense and top 3 run game, they have been very successful. It makes the awesome QB just that much more dangerous and better.

RussB

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3osyk4f4 said:
RussB":3osyk4f4 said:
They need to trade for a pro bowl left tackle. Or sign whitworth. If they dont do that or draft a good tackle. I am giving up on the coaching staff.

Well first of all... Pro Bowl LT's don't get traded. The only one potentially available is Joe Thomas, and surprisingly enough he doesn't want to leave Cleveland. Whitworth is 35 and the Bengals are even considering moving him to guard because he's lost a step at tackle.

Again.. offensive linemen are a premium position in this league. Dallas' success this season only solidifies that even more. If you look at the FA market, tackle is exceptionally weak .. but guard isn't.

That's why I think we may see Ifedi kicked over to RT in an effort to sign a Ronald Leary, TJ Lang, Luke Joeckel, etc.

I think Sgt. Largent may be onto something too with Breno. I imagine there would be mutual interest there as well. And that would allow Ifedi to stay at RG.

Rest assured though.. this team WILL address OL in FA this year. Zero doubt in my mind.
I agree about lang, signing him would also be a good idea. Tackle is the biggest weakness on the o line though and whitworth is the best available and is still levels above fant even at age 35 . If they were to sign both of those guys i would be very impressed though. I dont know if they have the cap space though.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":1x9j5p58 said:
oh they are going to do something, get more people on defense. Thats all folks. And if by some strange change in reality they do get some oline help it will be run blockers, the fact our best offensive player is our QB not RB will not matter, the fact if we lose our QB we are done will not matter. Hope I am wrong but that is the sense I am getting. PC wants that #1 defense, and top 3 run game again. The idea of building around your best players who is your QB and receiving threats is alien to him. At least based on his history and what he has said. Maybe he will surprise me I hope so, but you know the old saying "you can teach an old dog new tricks".

The big picture has been dissected & scattered to the winds, & almost everyone is overlooking, SEVERAL factors that
I think is necessary if we want to get to the heart of the matter.
We need to reconstruct the original plan that Pete set in place from his first couple of seasons here.
1. Pete liked how Tom Cable coached up his Offensive Line to push for his Run First mantra. Control the ball, & beat down Defenses, clean up in the 4th quarter by eating up the clock by pounding the rock against tired Defenses.
2. He traded for a very physical Marshawn Lynch.
3. Brought in Darryl Bevell to help Tom Cable scheme around T-Jack & the Beast.
Step 4. is where it all culminated into a Super Bowl winning team, Enter a world class scrambler >RUSSELL WILSON.
I am glossing over a lot of intricacies to the "big picture", but suffice to say that getting Russell Wilson was a major stroke of luck...Here Pete has "The Beast", and a Quarterback that can not only throw the ball with the best of the NFL QB's, but can scramble for nearly 700 yards in a season, thus enhancing the Run Game and controlling the clock.
NOW.. Lynch retires & Tom Cable is being asked to retool his Offensive Line away from the Run First programming, BUT, not to abandon it completely, and I think that THIS has turned out to be the toughest uphill on both the Coaches and Players.
I don't think that we have a Rock Pounder on the team right now, we can't force Defenses to honor the Run Game, the load has shifted heavily on Russell Wilson's shoulders, and it's not his fault.

Latest posts