How bad was Kearse this year?

OP
OP
M

mrt144

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":212h6qbo said:
But you don't run plays going in believing that your O line is going to fail. You have to have the catchy Belichick mindset that everyone is going to DO THEIR JOB. And all kiwi is saying is that Kearse has done a decent job of doing the dirty work on the second level that has created explosive plays for us. And we know how much our head coach loves explosive plays. It's part of his formula.

Belickhick actually has some cognizance of what his guys are good at and not good at and puts them in better positions to succeed. Also, it's not a binary evaluation, it's being freaking cognizant of your own strengths and weaknesses as a team. You don't expect your O line to fail miserably but you can't be absent minded about the potential negative outcomes of what you're choosing to do and adjusting your choices based on risk factors you can identify with the personnel on the field.

I mean, if I take up the complete opposite side of your argument wholly, they're calling plays as if they expect everyone to do their job every time and damn the consequences if they don't, they'll just try it again, harder, with more feeling next time and who cares if it fails again. It's all part of the process but the process is inscrutable because the results all come down to execution.

Obviously I don't know the process of how Pete and Bevell evaluate themselves but if they're even half as gung ho about it all being on the players not executing an infallible game plan, its difficult to see sustained growth in weak areas of playcalling and personnel packages. Again, if the only problem you can identify on a failure is lack of execution, what growth can you have as a play caller? And they have made adjustments to personnel weaknesses before but they don't seem to enjoy it enough to stick with it. They seem to value the psyche bonus of doing it 'their way' successfully than doing it some other way successfully and they have enough validation that they're on the right track with some of their concepts, they just can't piece together all the proximate causes for outcomes that well.

I'm working on a project now of categorizing all of Kearse's red zone plays that I'll make a fanpost out of on fieldgulls some point this spring. What I'm hoping to identify is where the weakness came from. So far, just 4 plays in (chronologically) Kearse has been the first or only read on 3/4, these are designed plays to him or read evaluations where RW likes the matchup more than any other on the field. This is prior to Lockett going down by a fair amount. It would be a huge task to go back over past seasons and evaluate how often he was the first/only read on a play and the relative success and we'll see if this initial trend winds up holding throughout the season, for the red zone at least.

But that trend raises a few questions on how to improve. Does RW need more direction on how to evaluate matchups pre snap? Does he need to utilize more look offs even if he's made up his mind pre snap on where to go? On designed plays to Kearse, are there other players who can consistently execute those types of plays better than him like JFG catching in traffic and how does the defense respond to it and what are the downside risks? (Like I said, the early results indicate that RW threw contested balls to Kearse as a primary read)? Are there routes that he runs better than other players and has more success on and vice versa? How does the offense operate on the whole when he isn't on the field for passing downs? I know it seems like I want to reinvent the wheel with these questions but I'm not, I feel like there are fairly easy actionable answers that could taken without upending the overall philosophy of what they want to do.

Mind you, if Kearse was even just average this year, I could be way more sympathetic to the idea he merely had just an off year but this feels like systemic problem by virtue of by holding the lion's share of fail by a huge amount while almost every other WR had a year similar to 2015's effort. There was a previous post where someone said Kearse was taking snaps that Lockett was getting post injury and even if that's absolutely valid, even without the hindsight of an entire season, you could evaluate effectiveness of playing Lockett's role on a per game basis as it fills out an entire season.

Bottom line, RW to Kearse was a sub optimal use of a play throughout the season and it doesn't feel like anyone from Pete on down cared that it was, the play is the play and thats all there is to it. Get em next time. The key difference between me looking at this problem and you looking at the problem is I've already accepted that players can always play better on what is assigned to them, that's a truism of the sport. You're constantly arguing that execution is the only possible realm for improvement on offense and use 5 years of results to bolster your side. It is beyond your imagination that maybe, possibly, the personnel isn't being put in the best position to succeed at times, that the off the field coaching and guidance can result in suboptimal outcomes even if the process and underlying beliefs have merit.

Just on a lark, can you identify anything on the coaching side of the equation that could use improvement, both micro and macro? Can the coaches help RW and Kearse get back to form and if so, how so? If not, why not? Is there anything on the GM side of the equation vis a vis talent and depth that can be improved upon?

And one of the reasons I bristle at this "its all down to execution" or talent and ability fluctuation is that the talent is pretty much locked in at a certain point. Kearse, ADB, RW, have all played for years together and had their roles expand and change.

It's like cooking in a way - if you get all these ingredients at the store, get home, realize you forgot something, or a veggie has a blemish once you peel the skin off, you make adjustments to the recipe to compensate. You don't go "Wow, this semi past due ingredient just needs to be of higher quality and be more fresh, then the dish would be terrific. ". No, your final output of a meal is a marrying of what you have in ingredients and what you do with it.

If this is the best meal they could provide given the ingredients available, which is a distinct possibility, then we are staring at the ceiling of their coaching and play design capabilities.

Pete Carroll et al seem to have a great recipe when the ingredients are all above a certain threshold of quality. They don't seem capable of dealing with their own recipe when having to make adjustments for lack of ingredients or slightly off ingredients. Bellichick looks at all the ingredients available and builds a recipe around it (And to be fair, Tom Brady is a solid foundation to start any recipe off with but he didn't know that when he first got him, it's been an evolution, but he makes due without Tom Brady occasionally and the results are unexpectedly good). To put it another way - Pete et al are good home bakers, BB is a Michelen chef.

OP
OP
M

mrt144

Reaction score
To go further on the BB chef analogy as it relates to Tom Brady. Tom Brady is mirepoux. It is a solid basis for most French and Italian (soffrito) based recipes. But there have been times where he has only had carrots or onions or celery, not all 3, and the meal came out fine. Better than fine, and better than you expected it to be with Cassell for an entire season and the two forgettable guys to start this season. Because he fundamentally understands each ingredient outside of the mirepoux and can adjust.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I agree and disagree with varying degrees to part of your diatribe, but I was just echoing kiwi in stating that per Pete's penchant for explosive plays, Kearse takes on an unheralded role that isn't solely related to his ability to catch the ball, which he obviously can do too, but has always shown some inconsistencies there.

You can talk macro, which would be Pete's philosophy in regard to this, but it's not going to change as long as he's coach. That doesn't mean Kearse is safe in doing that task either, as early even as next season. If someone else can do it better and add other dimensions to the total package, he'll be in that role per the always compete mantra.

You bring up some good points, but we have the entire offseason to discuss them.

Also, I think you need to go grab some lunch. You have food on the brain. And now you made me hungry.

classicaaron

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":ehfs1yjr said:
classicaaron":ehfs1yjr said:
razor150":ehfs1yjr said:
KiwiHawk":ehfs1yjr said:
2: "and for those who say his blocking is good. what good is being able to block when our line is so terrible that the running back is getting tackled for a 3 yard loss every time"
This one is simply ridiculous. Kearse is a wide receiver, who blocks defensive backs on the second level, not a fullback. Three yards in the backfield is not second level. The statement demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of what WR blocking is about, and almost stopped me from reading the rest of this thread in disgust. This used to be a board where people understood football. Now, not only does this sort of statement get made, but it then gets quoted for truth instead of debunked. Absurd.

This response is absurd, I think you fundamentally did not understand what he is saying. He is basically saying "What is so great about having Kearse's downfield blocking when the RB is getting crushed behind the line because our OLine sucks." This isn't a criticism of Kearse's role as a blocker, it's saying the importance isn't that high on the pecking order due to how bad the oline is.

thank you for grasping exactly what I was saying, didn't think it was that difficult. Kearse is a good a blocker but we didn't need a good blocker this year because he never had much of chance to use it so what does it matter. id rather have a receiver that can get separation and make some catches downfield. pretty sure a 10 or 15 yard catch by a better receiver would be better than him blocking to get the RB 5 extra yards the one time a game he breaks one. in a run first offense with Marshawn getting nice runs all game long his blocking was needed and he warranted a spot on the field. this year with a 60% pass ratio and not getting any good runs it was just a waste of a spot.

and for those saying he fielded the decoy spot, a good offense shouldn't even have a decoy. do you think the packers have players out there for decoys, haha yeah right. and even if that was his sole purpose, how much of a decoy can you be when the defenders know hes terrible and wont make much impact anyways. not like hes drawing double coverages or safety help like Lockette would get cause there afraid they might get beat deep.
Once again, pass blocking isn't run blocking. By the time a receiver has to block for a running back, it's already a wildly successful play, and I agree it's a rare opportunity, particularly when a lot of our running yards come between the tackles.

However, we have a guy named Bevel calling the plays, and as long as he is calling them, we will be running bubble screens if for no other reason than to force the corner to respect the double move. We also run reverses, pitches, bootlegs, etc. that involve a runner out on the edge where someone needs to lock up the cornerback or safety. The offensive line isn't going to get there. Willson and Graham have not been spectacular blockers. Who is going to set the block to free the edge?

Baldwin is the guy catching the pass, Lockett and Richardson are too slight to be effective blockers, and McEvoy hasn't broken the lineup very often. That leaves exactly who to set the blocks out there?

well he must be terrible at pass blocking then. most of this board bitched and moaned all season about Bevell running bubble screens and us being one of the worst teams to execute them. while I think we do need to run bubble screens to soften a defense and think they should be part of every offense I can also say we rarely got more than a couple yards each time we ran them. and a lot of them were so close to being picked off or batted down or tackled for loss. so your argument isn't helping Kearse out at all.

evergreen

Reaction score
You said 60 yards penalized. What about the lost yards the penalty cost? Much higher than 60 yds. Like against AZ. We stuff them and get the ball and get a 1st down, but wait no 1st down. OPI. Nice 1st and 20.

OP
OP
M

mrt144

Reaction score
evergreen":1ghl40b5 said:
You said 60 yards penalized. What about the lost yards the penalty cost? Much higher than 60 yds. Like against AZ. We stuff them and get the ball and get a 1st down, but wait no 1st down. OPI. Nice 1st and 20.

Nobody tracks that so it would take a lot.

Reaction score
classicaaron":3mwopdnj said:
im surprised he even had that many yards to be honest. I feel like he got 1 catch for 8 yards every week. he certainly never made game changing plays this year. and for those who say his blocking is good. what good is being able to block when our line is so terrible that the running back is getting tackled for a 3 yard loss every time. maybe in the Lynch days when we sprung some runs his blocking would be meaningful.
Yeah I always thought that too when I read that. What good is his blocking when we either dont run the ball anymore or our running backs are getting blown up. :2thumbs: