How do Pats match up with us?

marko358

Reaction score
HeatEquation":htkca1pq said:
Coaching. That's the variable you seemed to ignore in your post. Belichick is on another level from every other coach in the league at the moment.

Same coach who choked away Super Bowls for the last decade?

HeatEquation

Reaction score
marko358":22r9dim2 said:
HeatEquation":22r9dim2 said:
Coaching. That's the variable you seemed to ignore in your post. Belichick is on another level from every other coach in the league at the moment.

We lost by 3 and 4 points. Hardly choking. We just ran into a team with an incredible Dline that matched up well with us. No one fears your Dline or ability to create pressure up the middle (which is our Achilles heel.)

Uncle Si

Reaction score
its going to be a really good game. I think the two teams cause matchup problems for each other in different ways. Hawks run game is better, Pats passing O is better. Hawks D is better, but Pats secondary is better than our receivers. Seahawks D is basically going against a quicker version of last year's Broncos. While the patriots are facing a team that can actually run the ball.

key here could be the running game. the Seahawks will need to get it going early. if the Patriots get Blount moving (which im not sure is the forgone conclusion the Pats fan makes it out to be) that will put alot more pressure on the Hawks D.

excited.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
WE are going to have to really scheme well for this one and pull out all the stops. We have 0 speed at receiver so you can forget about beating Revis that way. It might be interesting to finally give Chris Mathews a shot here. We can't go past Revis so maybe we can go over him? We have to show enough prowess throwing the ball to by some space for beast. As usual our success will come and go with him.

On defense we have to be well prepped for the tricks they will throw a us. They have scored three games in a row with that unbalanced line tackle eligible trick. Pete will probably need to take over the defense himself as Quinn will continue to be distracted by putting his own staff together. We will see what Pete can do here because we won't beat the patriots by lining up with just our press cover 3 and base offense because they will be well prepared.

HeatEquation

Reaction score
Uncle Si":31kxgnvf said:
its going to be a really good game. I think the two teams cause matchup problems for each other in different ways. Hawks run game is better, Pats passing O is better. Hawks D is better, but Pats secondary is better than our receivers. Seahawks D is basically going against a quicker version of last year's Broncos. While the patriots are facing a team that can actually run the ball.

key here could be the running game. the Seahawks will need to get it going early. if the Patriots get Blount moving (which im not sure is the forgone conclusion the Pats fan makes it out to be) that will put alot more pressure on the Hawks D.

excited.

And more physical. They won't fold after being hit a couple of times like Denver's receivers did last year. I assure you of that.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
While the Hawks D does very well against tempo pocket passing QB's, this is NOT going to be a repeat of last year for quite a few reasons.

1. Belichick > Fox. Fox is an average coach at best, and Belichick is one of the greatest schemers of all time, if not THE greatest..........and he has two weeks to gameplan.

2. Pats have a running game, with Blount (thanks Pittsburgh you A-holes), they have the back to pound the rock inside at our thin interior line.

3. Revis and BB. Unlike the very average Bronco defensive backfield last year that our receivers abused, the Pats have two very good corners to shut down our WR's.

4. While I was emotional right along with the players after the game yesterday, I see a VERY emotionally and physically spent team with two serious defensive injuries. So while I expect our D to play well, I don't expect them to dominate like they did last year.

If Sherm and Earl are OK and can at least be 80%, I like our chances.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Seattle is exactly the type of team that has given New England fitz over the years.

Belichick excels at taking away your best dimension and conceding the other stuff. Balanced teams that are solid in run, pass and defense have given them a ton of trouble historically. Even this year, look at their losses. All against teams who run well and play at least a little defense (road L to GB the lone exception).

Seattle really has no reason to get out of character this game. If Sherman and Thomas are healthy, and they prepare for the "tackle eligible" nonsense, I think SEA has a great chance to win this game by simply playing their style.

Usually, NE can't run. IMO, Browner can't cover consistently. They can be run on if it's not their focal point. I think SEA matches up very well. Health is my biggest concern. It's not about scheme.

Largent80

Reaction score
We faced a couple of very good O-Lines the last 2 weeks, and NE's is NOT as good as either of those lines.

I still think NE had a fairly easy go of it this year, and the Hawks just showed the world that they can win in any fashion.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2g2ye3bf said:
3. Revis and BB. Unlike the very average Bronco defensive backfield last year that our receivers abused, the Pats have two very good corners to shut down our WR's.

I'm not so certain about that. I just got through going through the game logs of the Patriots (all 16 regular season games as well as the playoffs). I cited the statistic above -- that the Patriots secondary has allowed 62 passes of 20 yards or more to be completed against them (tied for 3rd Most in the league). Well, I would say that after going through the game logs, I'm convinced more than ever that statistic -- is real. That has been a real issue and it's one that's been a consistent issue for this Patriots team all season long. Check out how their secondary has done against some of the league's best QB's ...

Number of Passes of 20 Yards+ Completed ...
Week 9 -- home vs. Broncos ... Peyton Manning completed 8 such passes as well a 18 Yd. TD
Week 11 - at Colts ... Andrew Luck completed 7 such passes
Week 13 - at Packers ... Aaron Rodgers completed 6 such passes (2 of those for TD's)

and they also given up some big passes against lesser QB's as well ...
Week 15 -- home vs. Dolphins ... Ryan Tannehill completed 5 such passes (including a 32 Yd. TD)
Week 16 -- at Jets ... Gino Smith completed 4 such passes (one of those a 20 Yd. TD)

and that trend continued against the Ravens in the Divisional Game.
Joe Flacco completed 2 such passes ... and also had a pair of 19 yard completions as well (one of those for a TD).

There is a reason the Seahawks allowed Brandon Browner to walk (besides simply not wanting to pay him the big bucks). Remember that prior to him going down last season, he was starting to get exposed some in coverage. Things improved in that category once Maxwell took over, lest we forget.

Now, is this something that's going to end up being a factor in the Super Bowl? I don't know. I do know that it appears to be a weakness and I'd look for Carroll, Bevell, and the rest of the coaching staff to try to devise a way to try to take advantage of that at some point in the game.

HeatEquation

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1slpl2o6 said:
Seattle is exactly the type of team that has given New England fitz over the years.

Belichick excels at taking away your best dimension and conceding the other stuff. Balanced teams that are solid in run, pass and defense have given them a ton of trouble historically. Even this year, look at their losses. All against teams who run well and play at least a little defense (road L to GB the lone exception).

Seattle really has no reason to get out of character this game. If Sherman and Thomas are healthy, and they prepare for the "tackle eligible" nonsense, I think SEA has a great chance to win this game by simply playing their style.

Usually, NE can't run. IMO, Browner can't cover consistently. They can be run on if it's not their focal point. I think SEA matches up very well. Health is my biggest concern. It's not about scheme.

Of course, you're 100% wrong.

Seattle is not the kind of team that has given us trouble. This year's version of the Ravens is the kind of team that has given us trouble. Elite Dline with two exceptional DTs that can create pressure up the middle. That's the key - pressure up the middle. That is what has always given Brady trouble - Giants in 07 and 11, Jets in 2010, Ravens, etc. Your Dline is nowhere near the calibre of the Ravens'. Heck, even Detroit and Buffalo have better Dlines and we demolished both teams. Good secondaries have not been a problem for us. We usually game plan exceptionally well against teams with good secondaries. Our pass game typically consists of quick short/intermediate passes, screens, and passes to Vereen out of the backfield. And if the opportunity arises, we can make plays downfield as well.

Your defense is vulnerable up the middle, and I believe we will be able to run with Blount. We won't run all over you like we did against Indy, but we will run enough to remain balanced.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":19kmt3na said:
HeatEquation":19kmt3na said:
Coaching. That's the variable you seemed to ignore in your post. Belichick is on another level from every other coach in the league at the moment. Pete is a good coach himself, but Belichick has been masterful since week 4. Do we have a more talented receiving corps than GB? No. But I assure you that we will play a much better and more complete game than GB did. Belichick is not afraid of being aggressive. If he gets a lead, he won't be a sissy like McCarthy and try to sit on it. He will go for the knockout blow drive after drive.

Our receivers happen to be very good against physical corners. That's why I like the matchup. If you guys play press man, which I assume you will, I love our chances. Edelman, Lafell, and even Amendola as of late, have been very good against press. Gronk is obviously a game changer. We will likely get our C Brian Stork back in 2 weeks which will further bolster the Oline, and Blount should be able to run it down the middle on you guys. Vereen is a dual threat and could pose a match up problem for you.

This will be a great matchup and the reason that it's going to be great is exactly what you mentioned right up front -- coaching. Bill Belichick and Pete Carroll are the best 2 chess masters in the NFL in my opinion. Both of them are extremely similar, in that BOTH are extremely good at figuring out what a team likes to do ... and taking it away. They are excellent at breaking down game field, finding team's weaknesses, and exploiting them. They are also both very good at making in game adjustments. If a team is having success against them early, they figure out how to compensate. From my standpoint, I have never seen a coach better at that than Pete Carroll. As Seahawks fans, we have seen that time and time again ... and that's precisely what happened again tonight. Give both of these coaches 2 weeks to prepare -- WHOOO! It's going to be something else. Should be a whale of a game.

I like your stuff hawkscanner.
I want you to tell me whats going to happen in the superb owl, without being biased.

GIVE ME STATS! GIVE ME RESULTS! TELL ME!

HeatEquation

Reaction score
Largent80":l5iqtj2v said:
We faced a couple of very good O-Lines the last 2 weeks, and NE's is NOT as good as either of those lines.

I still think NE had a fairly easy go of it this year, and the Hawks just showed the world that they can win in any fashion.

As opposed to Seattle who had to face that juggernaut of a team in the Panthers.

SnoCoHawk

Reaction score
What strikes me the most when watching the Patriots is how fast Brady throws the ball after the snap. There's just no hesitation - it's step-step-throw, pretty much every time.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
SnoCoHawk":3v1vapfr said:
What strikes me the most when watching the Patriots is how fast Brady throws the ball after the snap. There's just no hesitation - it's step-step-throw, pretty much every time.
I think this could hurt them, set plays without reacting to the defense...

2hawk22

Reaction score
HeatEquation":2hcncg80 said:
Your defense will be exposed in 2 weeks.
We hear this every week and it never happens so move along troll.

HeatEquation

Reaction score
2hawk22":28imzu1u said:
HeatEquation":28imzu1u said:

Except you haven't faced an offense as versatile and as well coached as ours in the last 2 years.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
HeatEquation":3ht3doik said:
2hawk22":3ht3doik said:
HeatEquation":3ht3doik said:

Except you haven't faced an offense as versatile and as well coached as ours in the last 2 years.

Agreed. Not like they saw the best offense in NFL history or anything

HeatEquation

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1eikh2hv said:
HeatEquation":1eikh2hv said:
2hawk22":1eikh2hv said:
HeatEquation":1eikh2hv said:

Agreed. Not like they saw the best offense in NFL history or anything

Apparently you have no idea what versatile and well coached means.

Versatility - capable of or adapted for turning easily from one to another of various tasks, fields of endeavor, etc.

This offense can game plan against any opponent and can beat you in multiple ways. Does it have as much talent as last year's Denver Broncos? No. But talent alone will never win a championship anyways. This offense is playing far better than Denver's was playing last year in the playoffs, however. This is due to the many ways in which they can beat you and due to the coaching. Belichick has put on a coaching clinic since week 4 and is far superior in every aspect to Fox.

It's also a more physical offense than Denver's (who had a physically and mentally weak team overall last season.)

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
HeatEquation":1mexp7dn said:
marko358":1mexp7dn said:
HeatEquation":1mexp7dn said:

We lost by 3 and 4 points. Hardly choking. We just ran into a team with an incredible Dline that matched up well with us. No one fears your Dline or ability to create pressure up the middle (which is our Achilles heel.)

While our DL has certainly been hit by injuries, they always tend to get more time with the LOB locking down receivers. Brady tended to rush to his third or fourth read quite a bit last time he played us (and it IS relevant), so watch for some hurried throws.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
We were tough up the middle before we lost Mebane and Hill, but we're still the best defense in the NFL. Those injuries don't change what's going to happen to any reciever going across the middle. Our secondary can stay with their man as long as they need to. I respect NE, but I think the NFC is just tougher, and they haven't seen anything lik ewhat they'll be running into in two weeks. Gronk could have a good game, but he's just one guy and it won't be enough. GO HAWKS!