How in the hell do you record games in this decade ???

TVHAWK

Reaction score
I really want to record all the games this year on a permanent media. The last time I recorded anything was on video tape- LOL So- how can I record Seahawk games from Comcast and get a permanent copy of all of this years games ? Oh and by the way, I'd prefer no montly charges except Comcast- Any advice guys??

:les:

BlueTalons

Reaction score
If you have Windows 7, you have Windows Media Center. Get a HDHomeRun Prime - (search Amazon, be sure to use the .NET support link! ;) )

Get an "M-Card" from Comcast. (There IS a very minimal monthly charge for the card unless that is all you have.) Follow the directions from the HDHomeRun Prime and you are good to go! (It is best to have a 1 gigbit LAN.) Oh...make sure you have a least terabyte to keep your games. Roughly 25GB per game plus all other NFL Game Rewinds, NFL Turning Points, etc, etc. You can also get VideoReDo TVSuite H.264 (~$100) to edit out commercials and make DVDs.

If you have an Xbox 360 and an Xbox Media Remote, you can "extend" Windows Media Center to the Xbox (I guess it also works with PS3.) I got rid of my Comcast Cable box this way! (I didn't care about losing On Demand.) It may or may not pass the wife test...I had some "convincing" to do, as it is not "just turn it on and watch" and there was some "training" too with people that came over. But is sure beat the heck out of Comcast's DVR and it's VERY limited HD storage capacity.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
I have a DVR and then dump things to a DVD recorder I got at Walmart. I just got a new one last week for $75. It works great! I dump shows I want to rewatch onto DVD all the time (or movies I've watched that I don't want to buy, but don't mind having a lower quality copy of). It only lets me dump it with the old yellow, red, white cables, but everything looks good enough to me. I don't see any degradation over what my DVR is putting out.

BlueTalons

Reaction score
A follow up to my post...do NOT upgrade to Windows 8 as it DOES NOT come with Windows Media Center! You can buy it separately though for $10 as long as it is Windows 8 Pro.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Hope you don't mind advice from Niner fan on this one...

I have all 49er games in HD since 2010.

I got a box at Frys that connects to the composite out on my cable box (or DVR) and then I run from the box to the TV. Can't remember Name but I can find it if interested. I want to say its from a company called Hippogauge or something like that and its called a PVR.

Anyway, the box also has USB outs that I plug into my laptop. It comes with software (Total Media Extreme) that will allow you to capture the video in full 1080p.

Its a beautiful thing. Each game tho is about 13-15 GB in size tho so I store the games on a 2 TB External USB Hard drive.

Pretty cool tho...I can plug the drive into my new Sharp 70" tv and I can watch any game from last three years. It looks so good it looks like I'm watching it live.

Hope this helps.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SharkHawk":1pev4pyf said:
I have a DVR and then dump things to a DVD recorder I got at Walmart. I just got a new one last week for $75. It works great! I dump shows I want to rewatch onto DVD all the time (or movies I've watched that I don't want to buy, but don't mind having a lower quality copy of). It only lets me dump it with the old yellow, red, white cables, but everything looks good enough to me. I don't see any degradation over what my DVR is putting out.

Only prob with that is that those cables you are talking about are component cables. Those will only do 480p (IE, no HD) DVD won't record in HD either. Its a good solution, but I was looking to keep the games in full 1080p. A bit more challenging. :)

Throwdown

Reaction score
Won't we be getting a season in review video with all the goodies we're gonna order for $19.99 when the Seahawks win the Super Bowl though?

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":2u8n94dv said:
SharkHawk":2u8n94dv said:

Only prob with that is that those cables you are talking about are component cables. Those will only do 480p (IE, no HD) DVD won't record in HD either. Its a good solution, but I was looking to keep the games in full 1080p. A bit more challenging. :)

Ok... I was just stating that I can't tell the difference. I do record them in HD and dump them at "480p" but I don't really see the degradation. I am watching the DVD on a Sony Bravia 40" LCD at about 18 feet out and I can't tell much difference if any.

I also have a video capture USB dongle and can grab them at full rate, but it takes a while and is a resource hog, and then takes a TON of space. I prefer the DVD to be honest, because it still looks great (enough) to make it worth my time to put them on DVD. It should say something that I have a way to do it both ways, and don't see enough benefit to doing it the "good" way. I promise I'm not lazy. Maybe my eyesight is just bad.

Most people just "find them" later in 1080p. Some guy was here selling our 2005 season to people on like 20 DVD's that he'd 'recorded' for quite a few months. He even tried ebaying them and got busted.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
What BlueTalons said, but there's also an alternative to that particular device. I use the Ceton InfiniTV 4, which is a model behind what's currently available: http://cetoncorp.com/ Plus, Ceton is headquartered right here in Kirkland, WA; so if you like supporting local business, then get one of those. I love my InfiniTV 4. It's just annoying that the restricted Windows Media Center format can't be edited in most video editors natively.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
I'm not even going to get Roland started on video editors... but ok... yeah I am. I use a Diamond VC500 for my MAC (Made by APPLE COMPUTERS! hahaha) and use the built in APPLE SOFTWARE stuff, and it works just niftily. :) (be gentle...)

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
SharkHawk":3662vtle said:
I'm not even going to get Roland started on video editors... but ok... yeah I am. I use a Diamond VC500 for my MAC (Made by APPLE COMPUTERS! hahaha) and use the built in APPLE SOFTWARE stuff, and it works just niftily. :) (be gentle...)
It's just not fair that I get antagonized like this, then I get yelled at for responding in kind. :(

Regardless, I'm talking about a video editing app that smokes what your...Mac...comes with. (Adobe Premiere Pro.)

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Nah man... if you blasted me for antagonizing you then you wouldn't get in trouble. I asked for it.

I will say one thing that I disagree with you on though... it is using Adobe products. Why? Because I hate them as much as you hate Apple stuff, and if I private messaged you the whole story you probably would feel the same about them (if the product works, then it's good... which is what we look for as developers and analysts and quality controllers and alpha testers and so on). But I know that you might look at the individuals who are calling the shots differently, and that may turn your opinion some on whether or not to use their stuff.

Let me just say straight out that I use Apple stuff for one reason... I was a teacher for a long time, and school districts pump lots of money into Apple. I can't control that. They have always done so. So I used Apple stuff because that is what the students I was teaching were using. Now that I've gone back to teaching... same thing. Getting set to use Apple stuff each day.

Working in backend development stuff for the past 3 years and another 8 prior to my 9 year teaching stint has taught me that there is no "one best" for any group. We all have different needs even here on this site, and what's "coolest" or "easiest" for one may be a complete nightmare for another. Like you, I also like goofing around with open source stuff. Most of my QA work is done using open source tools, and they are perfect for me. They aren't intuitive though, and anybody that looks at what I'm doing is totally confused and just assumes I know what's up and leaves me to my work. :) I wouldn't have my 72 year old mom working in that environment though. I don't have the time to deal with the non-stop phone calls asking me how to "get on my gmail". So she has a Macbook and it is easy. If it goofs up on her I walk her through time machine stuff and she's back and running fifteen minutes later. It's convenience. That's all.

I have 2 Macbooks (one is dedicated to work, one is my home machine). But I have countless PC's with all sorts of environments installed. I am not a big fan of Windows because of another situation... I used to work in their educational software division in college and they completely SCREWED us. So I tend to not be a big fan of immediately jumping to use their stuff. I have an Xbox 360. I use Office. I'm not anti-anything. I just look for other options first and then buy what fits my needs most easily, conveniently, and within my budget. That's all I'll suggest for anybody. I never will make fun of somebody for being 100% open source, or 100% Apple, or 100% Microsoft, just as I won't rag on somebody for loving Mopars, Toyotas, or Chevys. Everybody needs to find what works for them. If that's open source... then all the better. I am a big fan of the whole movement and support it as much as I possibly can. I support individual or small development houses as much as I possibly can to do what I need to get done.

It just isn't always practical unfortunately. Just as we were all reliant on Flash for so long.... I had to use it. I had very few convenient options. But part of me felt sick about doing it because of the guys at Adobe who I know all too well (I'm speaking of 2 individuals that are quite high up that I know personally...NOT the company) and they don't deserve to share our oxygen. They are awful human beings. It makes me sick to put a penny in Adobe's pocket because it trickles directly down to one who attempted to kill me (not exaggeration). So... there's my bias and non-bias, and you can crack on me all you'd like. I won't whine to a mod. I axed for it. :)

dunceface

Reaction score
[youtube][/youtube]
Marvin49":zb3hamdh said:
SharkHawk":zb3hamdh said:

Actually what he's talking about are composite cables, component cables are the 5 color cables and they do support 1080p...jeez niner fans sometimes

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
I have all of the last few years games (and a few hundred movies) safely tucked away on my external Hard drive attached to my Dish Network DVR Receiver, all in HD. As I understand it, the recording that Dish sends to the external hard drive are encoded specifically so that you can only watch them via a Dish Network Receiver. So if I quit Dish these are junk! If there were simply a way to transfer these videos to a third party translator in a common video format then all would be settled.

In my previous setup I had a 25ft S-video/audio cable connected from my Dish DVR receiver to my (now deceased) Windows XP pro/MCE computer which had a Hauppauge Video Capture card built in. I could then burn them to a dvd on my pc, but you could only do so at real time. So that was a pain.

Cartire

Reaction score
I know you dont want extra monthly charges. But if you are willing to spend $70 bucks on hardware, then you could be willing to spend $70 on NFL Rewind. $70 a year, and you get every single game from every single team since 2010. New games post 24 hours later. Full HD, with Full Broadcast, Condensed mode (watch every game in about 30 minutes, snap to snap.), and All-22 film.

And, if you want to keep them stored for later when you dont have the service, you can use FRAPS to rip them as you watch.

If you only want Seahawks games, I think its only $50 a year.

And its far easier then setting up all the other stuff. Along with the fact its all entirely commercial free, even full broadcast ones.

A

Anonymous

Cartire":mev24r8c said:
I know you dont want extra monthly charges. But if you are willing to spend $70 bucks on hardware, then you could be willing to spend $70 on NFL Rewind. $70 a year, and you get every single game from every single team since 2010. New games post 24 hours later. Full HD, with Full Broadcast, Condensed mode (watch every game in about 30 minutes, snap to snap.), and All-22 film.

And, if you want to keep them stored for later when you dont have the service, you can use FRAPS to rip them as you watch.

And its far easier then setting up all the other stuff. Along with the fact its all entirely commercial free, even full broadcast ones.

Yeah, but they edit-out sooooo much of the in-between-play stuff like player substitutions, players helping others stuff shoulder pads back under the jerseys, and coaches facial expression shots. :lol:

I find myself doing a LOT of pausing to see who just trotted on or off.

mikeak

Reaction score
dunceface":3pt0ccbb said:
Actually what he's talking about are composite cables, component cables are the 5 color cables and they do support 1080p...jeez niner fans sometimes

technically I would say the component cables are 3 color cables and the other two colors are your audio cables.......... just saying :D

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
@Shark: Flash was a great technology that helped spur the web into what it is today, but it's dead and should be killed off accordingly, nowadays. I don't know the story behind an Adobe employee trying to kill you, that's jacked up, but I do know Adobe products were used across the board for Cameron's Avatar, so if it's good enough for a movie that looks like that one does visually, I would say it certainly meets any reasonable professional standard one can make a claim for.

Also, your comment about what works within your budget made me laugh; I'm sure you understand why. Apple's only product that one could call reasonably priced is the base Macbook Air. Apple has always charged ridiculous premiums for their computers, and NOBODY has an argument that they are a money-saver.

In any case, like Apple all you want, just don't try to sell them as a company more ethical than Microsoft, or whatever. ;)

Cartire

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":1jm3km0n said:
Cartire":1jm3km0n said:

Yeah, but they edit-out sooooo much of the in-between-play stuff like player substitutions, players helping others stuff shoulder pads back under the jerseys, and coaches facial expression shots. :lol:

I find myself doing a LOT of pausing to see who just trotted on or off.

Full broadcast dont edit anything but commercials out. They are the same exact thing shown on television with the commericals out. Condensed does edit it out.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":1ycv4a42 said:
Hope you don't mind advice from Niner fan on this one...

I have all 49er games in HD since 2010.

I got a box at Frys that connects to the composite out on my cable box (or DVR) and then I run from the box to the TV. Can't remember Name but I can find it if interested. I want to say its from a company called Hippogauge or something like that and its called a PVR.

Anyway, the box also has USB outs that I plug into my laptop. It comes with software (Total Media Extreme) that will allow you to capture the video in full 1080p.

Its a beautiful thing. Each game tho is about 13-15 GB in size tho so I store the games on a 2 TB External USB Hard drive.

Pretty cool tho...I can plug the drive into my new Sharp 70" tv and I can watch any game from last three years. It looks so good it looks like I'm watching it live.

Hope this helps.

I got the Hauppage last year and it works great.

Latest posts