How long

2_0_6

Reaction score

2018 will not be a rebuild, but will be more of a reload. Shift assets from defense to build around Russ.

BullHawk33

Reaction score
There is turnover every year, this one is just worse because of the names being linked to our success. It will continue to happen though because nothing is ever static in the NFL.

I'm concerned about the picks we have this year. We sacrificed this year's draft to try to get some success last year and it failed. We may only get 1 or 2 decent players out of the draft as a result. Any more than that is a bonus.

I think we slide back this year, have an 8-8 or 7-9 season, end up with more draft picks next year and then get closer to the playoffs. If people have the patience, then maybe this is a 1 to 2 year rebuild.

We have a QB that is pretty good. That can get us some decent wins.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It's been over.

A good OC could have turned it around (if we had not stripped all the pieces from the offense, which we have) but with a middling one? Good luck. Pete is not a tactical genius. Not even close, so he cannot help offset this.

You forget that for the last several years this has been a wildcard team. That was the baffling thing about the 'going all in' stuff. This team was not even close, and beating one good team in one game (Eagles game) does not change things.

We have been sliding for a while, but propped up by great plays from some of our stars. We pulled some of those stars off the team now so what we will be left with is an average roster with holes all over the place, less draft picks than we would like and a QB that is the definition of hot and cold.

And Pete is old. Really old. He has a few years left in him, but not many. So as we do this rebuild (assuming we can) by the time we fill all the holes, Pete is going to have to sail off into the sunset. Whatever the team is next will depend on the vision of the next guy, likely a number of changes to the roster as soon as he gets in here.

We did get some years of watching some of the best players to play their positions, and see that in person. We got to see the entire city share a passion and fire for this team. That is pretty awesome.

I accepted it was over a while ago but hey, some of you are optimistic and see something I don't. That would be amazing if you are right. I hope so. Though I still love football so I will watch when we are below .500. Just like I did before.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Nope, they'll be back in the playoffs in 2019, probably just miss them in 2018. And with Russ behind Center, anything is possible.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
2 years. It will be faster than when Pete and John initially took over. The main reason is the franchise QB is in place this time around and they spent 2 full years before drafting Wilson.

vigilantgrrl

Reaction score
It's over. The only thing that kept us in the playoff hunt was our elite defense and Pete has gutted it now. We will now see how mediocre we are with Russell Wilson having to carry the load without a defense which kept us always close in games where our offense was absent for at least the first half. If we are stupid enough to extend Wilson at 30 million plus a year, that will ensure mediocrity for a long time, thanks to him eating up most of the salary cap.

adeltaY

Reaction score
vigilantgrrl":7witeq2b said:
It's over. The only thing that kept us in the playoff hunt was our elite defense and Pete has gutted it now. We will now see how mediocre we are with Russell Wilson having to carry the load without a defense which kept us always close in games where our offense was absent for at least the first half. If we are stupid enough to extend Wilson at 30 million plus a year, that will ensure mediocrity for a long time, thanks to him eating up most of the salary cap.

And if we don't extend Wilson we'll be terrible. Woohoo! :irishdrinkers:

toffee

Reaction score
Shoulda been two years IF Pete pulled the trigger last off season. Would have gotten more picks in return. As is it may take 3-4 seasons.

Don’t forget the rams and 9ers have gotten better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hawks85

Reaction score
Bobblehead":3d6l1v3m said:
There is just nothing exciting about whats happening.
6 -10
1 - 5 division
5-5 the rest of the way..

Still love my Hawks though.
This may be a crazy question, but do you think with all that's going on we will become Cleveland pt.2 meaning losing record after record no playoffs etc...

Seymour

Reaction score
I don't believe Pete will get back to "dominance". It is possible, but given the last 4 years draft results and ridiculous decisions and procrastination I think we may get back to playoffs, but more the early exit variety. I know we can, but if I'm betting my hard earned $$....I'm not betting on it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawks85":i1wpwfyd said:
Bobblehead":i1wpwfyd said:
There is just nothing exciting about whats happening.
6 -10
1 - 5 division
5-5 the rest of the way..

Still love my Hawks though.
This may be a crazy question, but do you think with all that's going on we will become Cleveland pt.2 meaning losing record after record no playoffs etc...

Not Cleveland 2.0, we have a top 10 QB, and that'll always get you at least 4-5 wins per season, no matter how terrible the rest of the team is.

If this was 2-3 years ago when every team in our division stunk? I'd be more optimistic, but other than the Cards being in a state of flux, we now have two VERY good young teams in our division ready to kick the crap out of us on a yearly basis for the forseeable future. Both with good young QB's, both with young nasty defenses, and both with a great coach/GM combo that isn't going anywhere.

This spells bad news for me, because IMO this rebuild's going to take at least 2-3 years, and I don't think Pete's or John are going to hang around for a long term rebuild.

This is the NFL where things can change drastically year to year. But as of March 15th, 2018? Not very optimistic about our Hawks.

Steve2222

Reaction score
I’d argue our dominance began midway through 2012 (So 3 1/2 years). I still think that 2012 team could have won the SB that year. They were so good. We should have beat ATL, however the defense ruined an all time great game by Wilson. I think no one would have feared going into SF in the NFCCG after we throttled them by like 3 weeks prior.

j hawk

Reaction score
I will go out on a limb and say we go 11-5, win our division, and win one playoff game. Keep the faith people.

irfuben32

Reaction score
We probably won't be back, we had an incredible run for a front office

Chris Clemons for Darrell Tapp, Lynch for a 4th, some historically great drafting and then Bennett and Avril on the cheap

unstoppable juggernaut with the cap space to keep it together

and then they traded for Harvin and gave him a new contract...

Sometimes I think they are geniuses who will totally right the ship and then I remember they gave up a 3rd round pick for Charlie Whitehurst.

Seymour

Reaction score
irfuben32":3jn10auv said:

Chris Clemons for Darrell Tapp, Lynch for a 4th, some historically great drafting and then Bennett and Avril on the cheap

Sometimes I think they are geniuses who will totally right the ship and then I remember they gave up a 3rd round pick for Charlie Whitehurst.

I think you must discount CBJ's absolute perfect penmanship.

XpmvAStx

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
irfuben32":31jkgrnj said:

This is literally every team, no one's going to have a 1.000 batting average.

We just have to get back to winning on these trades more than we're losing..............and IMO why we're not overpaying right now for guys like Nelson, Suh and ASJ.

Pete and John know this is a rebuild, and not a last ditch effort for a pipe dream SB run like last year. So I'm OK with being smart and doing it the right way, through the draft and not throwing around Monopoly money like some other teams are right now.

irfuben32

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1enfk1rm said:
irfuben32":1enfk1rm said:

This is literally every team, no one's going to have a 1.000 batting average.

We just have to get back to winning on these trades more than we're losing..............and IMO why we're not overpaying right now for guys like Nelson, Suh and ASJ.

Pete and John know this is a rebuild, and not a last ditch effort for a pipe dream SB run like last year. So I'm OK with being smart and doing it the right way, through the draft and not throwing around Monopoly money like some other teams are right now.

I guess that is my point. They aren't special. They had a great run but now have come back down to Earth.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":35ujzn7h said:
How long do you think Pete & John will take to get back to dominance? Pete cleaned house when he first came in and it took 4 years. He has more pieces now (even with everything going on) including a great QB. Plus his culture is already in place. How long do you think it will take. Or do you think it is over for John and Pete?
4 years? How are you defining dominance? In Carroll's 3rd year we went 11-5. Only 1 team had more than 11 wins in the NFC that year.

So it all depends on what the bar is. Is it double-digit wins? Division champs? Conference champs? Super Bowl winner?

I reckon we're good for double-digit wins. Division champs is a more difficult call and will largely depend on factors we can't control such as how our division-mates go vs other teams and themselves. Conference champs is less likely, and Super Bowl winner is a long-shot.

But that's any year. There are 31 other teams out there all after one trophy, and it takes players, coaches, and a lot of luck to get there and win it, and a huge amount of it is outside our control.

cheese22

Reaction score
Everyone agrees we are hamstrung by our cap situation. But, we have dumped several huge contracts already. So, at what point do all these cuts translate into money to spend? How much do we have to save before we're able to go sign somebody?
I'm not looking for exact numbers, just a basic explanation of what seems basic.

adeltaY

Reaction score
cheese22":2ivtmt0g said:
Everyone agrees we are hamstrung by our cap situation. But, we have dumped several huge contracts already. So, at what point do all these cuts translate into money to spend? How much do we have to save before we're able to go sign somebody?
I'm not looking for exact numbers, just a basic explanation of what seems basic.

People seem to want us to dump these players to free up cap space... And are vehemently against signing high priced Fa's or extending Earl, Brown, Clark.