How Many Mote Years Can Russell Play For Be Elite

Boycie

Reaction score
First off, I love Russ, and have been a big fan of his, but the Russ we all fell in love with was the one who would run and be a dual threat QB. That has not been the case for a number of years now, and he is 33 years old. Maybe it is time to move him to another tea, while his value is still high?

I am a Seahawks fan, and players come and go, but the team is what we all root for.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
The return will not be higher than it is now. If you risk another season and he flounders...then you have a McNabb Newton on your hands. He'd also likely just be released after next year so free to sign anywhere. If its going to happen..it needs to happen in the offseason this year or we likely get nothing in return.

keasley45

Reaction score
Russ isn't elite now. How many more years he plays depends on his health, and how long he wants to stick it out after it becomes obvious to him that having switched teams isn't the magic elixir he thought it was. When that realization happens, i think he hangs it up pretty quickly to salvage whatever is left of his legacy.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think Russ can still be a top 10-15 QB with the right coach and pieces around him.

I just don't think that's here if Pete stays. Too much dysfunction, too much conflict, not even close to enough pieces around him because he can no longer carry the team and make up for all the deficiencies, like he had been doing for the past 8-9 years.

So elite? Eh, idk about that. But very good and sometimes great with the right team who just needs a veteran QB that can make some plays but doesn't need him to play flawlessly?

Sure.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
keasley45":slrxwpsr said:
Russ isn't elite now. How many more years he plays depends on his health, and how long he wants to stick it out after it becomes obvious to him that having switched teams isn't the magic elixir he thought it was. When that realization happens, i think he hangs it up pretty quickly to salvage whatever is left of his legacy.

Well, this is your opinion. But a ton of people were of the same opinion about Brady.
Turns out switching teams was the magic elixir, and he has one more ring to show for it.

And now the Patriots fans fumed through a loser season with Cam. The Patriots no longer scare anyone and are now getting stomped by Buffalo and beat by Miami.

So I'm all for keeping Russ. He's still a young athlete with many more years, in my opinion, to only get better.

John63

Reaction score
Palmegranite":2pwafhih said:
keasley45":2pwafhih said:

Well, this is your opinion. But a ton of people were of the same opinion about Brady.
Turns out switching teams was the magic elixir, and he has one more ring to show for it.

And now the Patriots fans fumed through a loser season with Cam. The Patriots no longer scare anyone and are now getting stomped by Buffalo and beat by Miami.

So I'm all for keeping Russ. He's still a young athlete with many more years, in my opinion, to only get better.

Also, Rodges went through it for a couple of years till a new HC. Mahomes just had a really bad stretch as well. It happens to them all.

Rat

Reaction score
Palmegranite":1g3cv44q said:
keasley45":1g3cv44q said:

I can't believe anyone uses Brady as a comparison for anything. He's the exception of exceptions. Nobody has ever done what he's doing. And Russ isn't exactly similar to him anyway.

John63

Reaction score
Rat":1ia3r2tb said:
Palmegranite":1ia3r2tb said:
keasley45":1ia3r2tb said:

I can't believe anyone uses Brady as a comparison for anything. He's the exception of exceptions. Nobody has ever done what he's doing. And Russ isn't exactly similar to him anyway.

Well Rodgers went through it, Manning, mahomes I can go on. All great QBs have periods that are not great.

Rat

Reaction score
John63":23zc9hjw said:
Rat":23zc9hjw said:
Palmegranite":23zc9hjw said:
keasley45":23zc9hjw said:

Well Rodgers went through it, Manning, mahomes I can go on. All great QBs have periods that are not great.
That's not what I'm arguing. I'm talking about him being "a young athlete with many more years, to only get better". Maybe he'll bounce back and have a good run, but comparing anyone to Brady in regards to longevity is absurd. There are infinitely more examples of players like him declining the further they get into their 30s.

chris98251

Reaction score
The problem Wilson has is his legs and yes Height, he has never been one to climb the pocket regularly, not saying he hasn't, but he tends to take a deeper drop then roil or scramble to get better vision, also why he misses many far side of the field receivers doing so.

It is also why screens don't work well, he has to drop deep and float a pass in and doesn't throw them open they have to wait for the floater which gives the defense time to converge negating the whole design of a screen play.

He needs an offense designed around his limitations, also why most times he can't see mid field crossing patterns since he doesn't climb the pocket.

With a superior running game he is given a better chance to scan the field since the DT's don't bull rush and collapse the pocket also.

John63

Reaction score
Rat":1r75sclb said:
John63":1r75sclb said:
Rat":1r75sclb said:
Palmegranite":1r75sclb said:

That's not what I'm arguing. I'm talking about him being "a young athlete with many more years, to only get better". Maybe he'll bounce back and have a good run, but comparing anyone to Brady in regards to longevity is absurd. There are infinitely more examples of players like him declining the further they get into their 30s.

Well Brady also went through periods of bad. The thing in all of the ones who make it back gave one thing in common. While periods I'd bad play also periods of good to great play. Like Wilson. The bigger question is the injury. Can he fully 100% recover bith mentally and physically.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
So, as has been pointed out, Russ hasn't played at an 'elite' level for the last season and a half. So first you have to decide whether he can reverse that trend AND then if he can, how long can he do it for?

So, first, we have to address the 'Why isn't he playing elite anymore?'

There seems to be three main reasons:
1) Defenses have figured out that a disguised Cover-2 is the Kryptonite for his most amazing plays and Russ hasn't adjusted. This is bad because this issue has been showing it's head for the longest of the three issues. Simply put, this is a mental issue and he's had a season plus to get past it and he's not.

2) His legs are becoming less and less valuable. This started with him becoming decidedly more adverse to reading 'keep' on read-option plays. So, essentially, a decision making error. Which, fine, ok, he's not as comfortable at that, but it did take the error out of our running game. Now, though, the issue is becoming physical. He's slow. The scramble ability he needs to make his backyard ball plays isn't at the level it was. This also ties back in to the previous issue because now teams don't need to hold a 'spy' on the field for Russ. They can drop more guys back in coverage, so they can run Cover-2 more often.

3) His touch on his deep ball is gone. This is the newest issue and it's tied to his finger injury. Ok, you say, next year he gets better. Maybe. But Russ clearly came back too soon. Did he permanently damage his finger by rushing back and thus just lost one of his most potent weapons? I don't know.

But the thing is, that's a lot of issues. For Russ to return to 'elite' (and I mean actually elite, not 'numbers' elite) he's got to address all these things and that may require a significant change of philosophy on his part. His self-promotion along the 'Let Russ Cook' nonsense (essentially, publically campaigning for a specific offensive philosophy for his team) makes me question how willing he is to make those changes.

So, in my heart, I hope he can return to the elite level. But if I had to put actual cash down? I probably wouldn't bet on it. (Prove me wrong, #3).

chris98251

Reaction score
John63":2d4pi8ug said:
Rat":2d4pi8ug said:
John63":2d4pi8ug said:
Rat":2d4pi8ug said:

Well Brady also went through periods of bad. The thing in all of the ones who make it back gave one thing in common. While periods I'd bad play also periods of good to great play. Like Wilson. The bigger question is the injury. Can he fully 100% recover bith mentally and physically.

Brady's issue is when he lost McDaniel to the Broncos and they had a different OC, there was a bit of turmoil during that time, when McDaniel came back Brady took off again.

John63

Reaction score
chris98251":8dq0zfvl said:
John63":8dq0zfvl said:
Rat":8dq0zfvl said:
John63":8dq0zfvl said:

Brady's issue is when he lost McDaniel to the Broncos and they had a different OC, there was a bit of turmoil during that time, when McDaniel came back Brady took off again.

Okay while there have been more than time in his career he and periods of bad plays lets go with that. Again all yhe other great went through it.

John63

Reaction score
DarkVictory23":279ef61k said:
So, as has been pointed out, Russ hasn't played at an 'elite' level for the last season and a half. So first you have to decide whether he can reverse that trend AND then if he can, how long can he do it for?

So, first, we have to address the 'Why isn't he playing elite anymore?'

1) Defenses have figured out that a disguised Cover-2 is the Kryptonite for his most amazing plays and Russ hasn't adjusted. This is bad because this issue has been showing it's head for the longest of the three issues. Simply put, this is a mental issue and he's had a season plus to get past it and he's not.

2) His legs are becoming less and less valuable. This started with him becoming decidedly more adverse to reading 'keep' on read-option plays. So, essentially, a decision making error. Which, fine, ok, he's not as comfortable at that, but it did take the error out of our running game. Now, though, the issue is becoming physical. He's slow. The scramble ability he needs to make his backyard ball plays isn't at the level it was. This also ties back in to the previous issue because now teams don't need to hold a 'spy' on the field for Russ. They can drop more guys back in coverage, so they can run Cover-2 more often.

3) His touch on his deep ball is gone. This is the newest issue and it's tied to his finger injury. Ok, you say, next year he gets better. Maybe. But Russ clearly came back too soon. Did he permanently damage his finger by rushing back and thus just lost one of his most potent weapons? I don't know.

But the thing is, that's a lot of issues. For Russ to return to 'elite' (and I mean actually elite, not 'numbers' elite) he's got to address all these things and that may require a significant change of philosophy on his part. His self-promotion along the 'Let Russ Cook' nonsense (essentially, publically campaigning for a specific offensive philosophy for his team) makes me question how willing he is to make those changes.

So, in my heart, I hope he can return to the elite level. But if I had to put actual cash down? I probably wouldn't bet on it. (Prove me wrong, #3).

Once again as I have factual proven it has bot been 1.5 years of bad play. And in fact there have been large chunks of elite play. However some have taken on the false narrative that he has not played well or had periods of elite play. But the facts clearly show he has had perused of very good and even elite play over the last 1.5 years.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score

3) His touch on his deep ball is gone. This is the newest issue and it's tied to his finger injury. Ok, you say, next year he gets better. Maybe. But Russ clearly came back too soon. Did he permanently damage his finger by rushing back and thus just lost one of his most potent weapons? I don't know..

(1) goes back to at least 2018.
(2) has been the case since he got hurt in 2016.

Which leaves (3) as the whole issue as (1) and (2) are not only coming back soon, but have been steadily deterioriating and continue to deteriorate. Which means that (3) cannot be sustained even if the finger miraculously heals to a real 100 percent.

12th Dimension

Reaction score
Palmegranite":vpzaxg7e said:
keasley45":vpzaxg7e said:

Noted, but Brady wasn’t winning a SB, except with Tampa. Right place, right time. Russ can go and win a SB with someone else, cuzz imho, he can’t lead us to one here. We can’t afford the supporting cast he needs and we haven’t drafted well enough, to not buy the needed talent required for a SB.

As much as I love this team, I think it’s time. We need the draft capital and cap relief. Blow it up, and start over. It creates a lot of uncertainty, but with the right person at the helm, it’s the best course forward.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
John63":2138iwdj said:
Once again as I have factual proven it has bot been 1.5 years of bad play. And in fact there have been large chunks of elite play. However some have taken on the false narrative that he has not played well or had periods of elite play. But the facts clearly show he has had perused of very good and even elite play over the last 1.5 years.
I know that, to some degree, responding to you regarding anything about Russell Wilson is an exercise in futility because of your uncritical fealty to the man, but here goes anyway:

You haven't 'factually' proven anything. I've watched every game for the last I don't know how many years. Quoting numbers to me (often out of context and without critical discussion) doesn't 'prove' anything. And I'm not sayng Russell has had no good games in the last year and a half but having a good game here or there does not make you elite.

He has not been 'elite' for a season and a half, regardless of the one or two good games he's had in that timeframe.

SantaClaraHawk":2138iwdj said:

Which leaves (3) as the whole issue as (1) and (2) are not only coming back soon, but have been steadily deterioriating and continue to deteriorate. Which means that (3) cannot be sustained even if the finger miraculously heals to a real 100 percent.
1.) His overreliance on those plays goes back that long but defenses consistently deploying Cover-2 (and more specifically a disguised Cover-2) has only been a main issue since last season. In other words, he got away with that stuff until recently.

2.) Yeah, but here again, he still had enough of a step to make it work on scramble drills. He stopped reading keep for awhile now but he still had the elusiveness. Recently, he doesn't have that step either.

So, yeah, the seeds for those issues started well before the last year and a half but they've only consistently started biting Russell in the butt recently.

That said, I pretty much agree that these are likely to remain issues in the future, no matter what team he is on....

John63

Reaction score
DarkVictory23":20fnx0qk said:
John63":20fnx0qk said:
I know that, to some degree, responding to you regarding anything about Russell Wilson is an exercise in futility because of your uncritical fealty to the man, but here goes anyway:

You haven't 'factually' proven anything. I've watched every game for the last I don't know how many years. Quoting numbers to me (often out of context and without critical discussion) doesn't 'prove' anything. And I'm not sayng Russell has had no good games in the last year and a half but having a good game here or there does not make you elite.

He has not been 'elite' for a season and a half, regardless of the one or two good games he's had in that timeframe.

SantaClaraHawk":20fnx0qk said:

1.) His overreliance on those plays goes back that long but defenses consistently deploying Cover-2 (and more specifically a disguised Cover-2) has only been a main issue since last season. In other words, he got away with that stuff until recently.

2.) Yeah, but here again, he still had enough of a step to make it work on scramble drills. He stopped reading keep for awhile now but he still had the elusiveness. Recently, he doesn't have that step either.

So, yeah, the seeds for those issues started well before the last year and a half but they've only consistently started biting Russell in the butt recently.

That said, I pretty much agree that these are likely to remain issues in the future, no matter what team he is on....

You are correct about it being a waste just not yours it's mine when ever someone ignores facts and goes with the eye test it means they don't care about truth only their opinion. Thankfully u said it at the beining so I did not have to waste my time reading the rest. So thanks.

Latest posts