How many offensive linemen will we draft?

How many offensive linemen will we draft?

• 0 We're good. All the lombardis are belong to me!

Votes: 2 2.0%

Votes: 6 5.9%

Votes: 34 33.3%

Votes: 42 41.2%

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Depends on what your definition of offensive is.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • All. All of them.

Votes: 7 6.9%

• Total voters

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Maybe I'm thinking checkers while they're playing chess, but if I'm the Seahawks I think I'd have to regret having backed myself into a corner by forcing myself to draft for need rather than value in multiple rounds.

(particularly true when we're talking for an entire position group that makes up 23% of all my starters)

I think they'll be okay, but it is kind of a crappy position to be in on draft day.

The second unfortunate part is that I don't think the draft itself will bring much clarity to what was actually going.

For some teams it's pretty clear when they're reaching for need, but for the Seahawks there's usually a "smartest guy in the room" approach to all their drafts (i.e. lots of perceived "reaches", some of which definitely weren't reaches in retrospect, and some of which definitely were).

AgentDib

Reaction score
None of us will be surprised if we draft projects on days 2 and 3. The more interesting question is whether any rookie linemen will see meaningful snaps for us this year. We've had no problem plugging in rookies right away in the past but at the same time I think we're all very aware that Cable thinks OL coming out of college are completely unprepared for the NFL.

C and RT look like the best shots for rookie impacts this year. There are at least 5 centers that we'd probably start over Lewis and there are a lot of RT prospects who can come in and compete with Webb.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
I will vote 2 but I won't be surprised if they only draft one. They're not going to spend resources on the line when they can draft for depth more needed on other positions.

OP
OP
jdemps

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
Popeyejones":v90fv2hp said:
Maybe I'm thinking checkers while they're playing chess, but if I'm the Seahawks I think I'd have to regret having backed myself into a corner by forcing myself to draft for need rather than value in multiple rounds.

If I'm reading the tea leaves correctly, shoring up needs to open up their draft board is exactly why we signed Sowell and Webb. Obviously, that's thinly veiled deceit at best because no one is accusing these guys of being world beaters. However, unlike last year, our "projected" starting OL, per JS, includes guys who've actually started games in the NFL at the position they're playing (minus Gilliam). With Nowak, Gilliam, and Britt last year that wasn't the case. However, the need for an influx of new talent is obvious and I look forward to having actual competition for these spots come camp. I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 rookies starting on the OL come September. I think we should expect tangible improvement in the line over last year. Really easy to do if you set the bar low enough.

Alexander

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3nqqkp45 said:

(particularly true when we're talking for an entire position group that makes up 23% of all my starters)

I think they'll be okay, but it is kind of a crappy position to be in on draft day.

I think we ought to dispel with the notion that you absolutely MUST go into the draft with all your needs met. For one thing, I don't think that's always possible. I'd even suggest that it's generally NOT possible. That mindset can also be a recipe for overpaying for mediocre or bad free agents.

Whether it's appropriate to go into the draft with a glaring need, or not, I think depends on the free agents available and the talent pool in the draft. This year, the free agent OL market was poor, while the upcoming draft is DEEP with OL talent. The first 3 rounds are going to have a lot of good O-lineman. They also have 4 picks in the first 3 rounds, so they're not in a position where they HAVE to reach on an O-lineman with their first pick, in case a great player at another position falls to them. In any case, the best player available at #26 could very easily be an O-lineman, given the strength of the draft class. Basically, the positions of value in the first three rounds are likely to match the team's greatest position of need. I think that's why they've approached free agency the way they have.

A couple years ago was the opposite. After winning the Super Bowl, they let Giacomini go to the Jets in free agency and didn't sign anyone even resembling a replacement, so they went into the draft desperately needing a RT. That year's OL class was not as deep as this year's and, to make thing worse, they didn't have a third-round pick. Because of this, they had to reach on Britt.

So I think it just depends on the situation. The Hawks have twice as many picks in the first three rounds this year as they did in 2014 when they reached on Britt, and the OL class is deeper. So I don't think they're in a bad situation at all. Plus, as jdemps mentioned above, they did sign a couple of cheap veteran O-lineman. So at least they have viable bodies at the position.

chris98251

Reaction score
I see it as we sign some cheap so to speak F.A that may be coached up, this way your not locked in in a need or have to situation, you then have your projections and what your focused on but if that player is taken you can go to option two in a later pick but still find a quality player off your board near that slot without tipping your hand much.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Popeyejones":18y9hnso said:

The second unfortunate part is that I don't think the draft itself will bring much clarity to what was actually going.

For some teams it's pretty clear when they're reaching for need, but for the Seahawks there's usually a "smartest guy in the room" approach to all their drafts (i.e. lots of perceived "reaches", some of which definitely weren't reaches in retrospect, and some of which definitely were).

Typically, it's true that the Seahawks philosophy is to not have glaring needs going into the draft. We've added some veteran OL to the mix, and at least they have experience, unlike 3 of the guys we started at the beginning of last year.

The draft looks like it's going to fall our way this year. It's very deep at the 2nd tier of OT's, and there's a lack of true top tier OT's at all, meaning there's 5-7 guys they like that could fall to their pick in the 1st, and possible a few fall to their 2nd pick.

Add to that a lock of real top elite talent overall, and it muddies the draft. That said, you have to look at the way other teams draft and not just us. Most teams DO draft for need and reach to do so. That means teams above us are going to reach on interior pass rushers, edge rushers, WRs, OT's, and the few QBs that deserve to be had. This happens because the talent in the top of the 1st round is markedly different from the talent in the 2nd round (moreso than most years) and the difference between the late 1st round and the 2nd round isn't much.

All this means that teams are going to chase the positions where it's thinnest. OT is very deep, so most teams can afford to wait until the early/mid 2nd round.

I'm not saying the Hawks FO called their shot on this one, but it looks like it's going to fall the right way. I'd really like to see an OT in the 1st, a Conklin, Ifedi, Spriggs, etc. type of guy. and the best possible Center we can get in either the 2nd or 3rd rounds. I think we have enough depth and talent to work out the interior if we have good talent at Center and on the edges.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I voted 3 drafted with at least 1 drafted early. I believe the team will add and chop but have 14-16 players in camp before cutting down. They will as well have a hard look at several UDFA types and nobody on the roster will have a job for sure with the final cuts as a couple of players from late cuts will be brought in for assessment.

At present the following are listed on the team's roster:

1. Britt -OG
2. Glowinski -OG
3. Gilliam -T
4. Lewis -C
5. Nowak -C/G
6. Pericak -C
7. Poole -T
8. Schwenke -T
9. Sokoli -C/G
10. Sowell -T
11. Webb -T

In the past few seasons the OLine group has numbered 13-15 at camp. I expect them to weed-out by competition.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Popeyejones":35fbi59z said:

What they have done is chosen to confine their needs to the one position group that has underperformed over the last three years.

The Seahawks feel they have Pro Bowl talent at QB, WR, TE, RB, DE, MLB, OLB, SS, FS, and CB.

Now, they just need to build one thing: the offensive line. They have a base of young talent (Gilliam, Britt, Glowinski, Sokoli, etc.) and have added some veterans to fill in the gaps as those young players gain more experience.

Having a targeted draft plan, when the rest of your team if filled with Pro Bowl talent, is not such a bad thing.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
My hope is they draft a T, a G/T and a C/G.

For me players of high interest are Ifedi, Conklin, Coleman, Clark, Whitehair and McGovern early. I also like Martin, Garnett and Dahl somewhat later. O course I'm missing a few, but these guys I suspect will be of interest to the team.

Willyeye

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2ez5trq6 said:
So we have:

1. Britt
2. Lewis
3. Glowinski
4. Gilliam
5. Webb
6. Sokoli

They have Sowell as well. Will probably keep 9 OL. So at least 2, probably three in hopes that we can drop Sowell.

I'm pretty sure that Sowell is a much better lineman than Britt...if they're going to drop anyone, let's really hope it's the turnstile Britt.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Largent80":2guoa5qf said:
I want a legit center taken in the first round. We OBVIOUSLY need G and T as well.

I think they have to invest in a good center if for no other reason than the fact that Cable was willing to throw away half the season just to try to avoid using P. Lewis last year. Assuming he tries to do the same this year, they need to have a good option for Cable to turn to.

LegionHawk12

Reaction score
I hope we draft about 3. I'm not sold on our line. Wilson needs a lot more time to think before he gets eaten alive!!

Davidess

Reaction score
I see 2 and them coming on day two of the draft
1st pick I have a strong feeling it will be a D-Lineman. Jonathan Bullard or Rob Nkemdiche (Nkemdiche would be my option after a tradeback)

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I vote for 3. And I hope they don't try any more d tackle conversion projects

Seafan

Reaction score
I expect at least two but not early. I expect a trade down and a defensive player first.